What Happens in the Dark...

Dance with the Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The quiet thunder was the first sound Jongin heard when he woke up. Sehun’s sleeping face was the first thing he saw when he opened his eyes. 

His hand went over his mouth to muffle the gasp that tried to escape. He had forgotten that the other had come over the night before. The dancer didn’t remember falling asleep, but he assumed it happened sometime between when he made tea and when they started watching a movie together. 

Once Jongin got over the initial reaction he took in his friend’s facial features. Sehun’s usual serious look was nowhere to be found. It was replaced by the face of someone Jongin never seen before. This person looked content like he didn’t have a worry in this scary world. He didn’t look stressed or anxious, simply...peaceful. 

The dancer really liked that expression. It fit Sehun well. 

Jongin’s mind didn’t register that he had reached out to touch Sehun until he felt the warm skin underneath his fingertips. Against his better judgment, the tanned male traced the sharp outline of Sehun’s face. He familiarized himself with each rise and fall of his friend’s face until he could easily distinguish Sehun with a simple touch. 

The sleeping male smiled and nuzzled into Jongin’s touch and Jongin couldn’t but mirror Sehun’s mile. 

“Kai…” 

Sehun’s soft skin suddenly felt like fire. Jongin held his hand to his chest, his eyes naturally wanting to display the abrupt pain he felt in his chest. 

The dancer was shocked; Why was he touching Sehun to begin with? 

Then he was confused;  Why did he feel so comfortable with his friend laying so close to him? 

Lastly, he was hurt;  Why did he think Sehun had a tiny space in his heart reserved for him when Kai clearly owned it entirely? 

Jongin quietly slid out of the bed and was almost to the bathroom when he heard Sehun shift in the bed. He silently prayed his friend was still sleeping, but of course….

“Jongin.” 

The danced swallowed the large lump in his throat and stretched a wide smile across his face. 

Slowly, he turned face Sehun, “Goodmorning sleepyhead.” 

Sehun frowned, “You okay?” 

Jongin mentally cursed. How did Sehun always seem to see past his facade? But, he didn’t want to make things awkward between them so he continued to lie. 

“Yes. Still just waking up.” Jongin was relieved when Sehun seemed to believe him. 

The taller rose from the bed and ran a hand through his bed hair. Jongin averted his eyes. 

“You need to use the bathroom?” He asked. 

Sehun looked down at his attire and realized he hadn’t changed, “Yes. I need a shower.”

The dancer motioned to the opened door, “Be my guest.”

As Sehun got closer and closer to Jongin, the air in the room seemed to disappear with every step the taller made. 

Finally, Sehun was standing inches away.  Jongin titled his head up to meet those black pearls Sehun called eyes. They were so dark, so alluring, Jongin had to remind himself to breathe. 

That was also a bad idea because when he inhaled again, Sehun’s scent assaulted his nose. How could someone smell so ing good? 

Jongin tried to blink away his daze, “Um..I..”

Sehun reached up and placed a warm hand on Jongin’s cheek causing the dancer to wince. 

His touch burned. It burned because it didn’t belong to him. Sehun’s touch belonged to Kai. Only Kai had the right to these feelings that wanted to rise within Jongin. 

Jongin turned away, “I’ll make some coffee.”

And with that, the dancer left the room. 

~.~.~.~

Jongin ended up making more than just coffee. Sehun did help him in his time of need, after all, and Jongin wanted to repay with more than just a cup of coffee. 

He heard the water in the bathroom top and he knew Sehun was done with his shower. He placed the finishing plates on the table and began washing the dishes he cooked with. 

“Oh wow.” 

Jongin sighed and turned to his friend’s voice. Sehun was wearing some of Chanyeol’s clothes, but Jongin didn’t remember them looking that good before. 

Stop checking him out, weirdo! 

Jongin’s shook his head and smiled as Sehun’s eyes wandered all of over the table filled with food. 

Sehun looked at Jongin, “You know, you didn’t have to do this right?” 

“I know. I wanted to though. You really helped me out yesterday…,”Jongin thought about the attacker, “Like, emotionally and physically.” 

Sehun didn’t say anything. 

Jongin sighed, “I would be dead if it wasn’t for you, Sehun. I can never repay you for that. Thank you.”

Sehun looked away, “Jongin...you never have to thank me for protecting you.”

“Bu-” 

Sehun voice was deep and serious. He looked directly into Jongin’s eyes. “No, you don’t have to thank me because I don’t do it for you.” 

Jongin didn’t understand. 

Sehun obviously realized that because he explained himself, “I protect you for me, Jongin. I protect you because I can’t inhabit a world you don’t walk on. I couldn't function if something ever happened to you. I would go insane. I’m selfish with the blood that runs through your veins and the breath in your lungs. So, please...don’t thank me.” 

Jongin was speechless. What was he supposed to say? What does one say when they are told that their mere existence is the reason someone else is alive. That was intense, to say the least.  He didn’t realize he meant that much to Sehun. After the other had gotten shot and Jongin decided that they should spend some time apart, the dancer was so sure Sehun had gotten over putting other’s lives above his. 

“Sehun...we talked about this before. You shouldn’t put me on a pedestal. No one’s life is more important than your own. Yo-.”

“I’m well aware of that, Jongin. No one, but you.” 

Jongin shook his head, “Sehun…” 

Sehun looked down as he spoke, “Look, Jongin. We can talk about this all day and my answer still wouldn’t change. So let’s stop, okay? I love you and I will protect you with everything I got. That will never change. No matter what may happen in the future, that will always be true.” 

Jongin didn’t have room to argue because Sehun had already sat down at the table and started eating. The dancer sighed and finished up washing the dishes. 

“I’m going to take a shower now,” he mumbled. 

Sehun grabbed his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter