Without You I'll Be Miserable at Best

Dance with the Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun had been shot.

 

Chanyeol had been shot.

 

“Sir?”

 

Sehun was being carried away to an ambulance.

 

Chanyeol was being carried away to an ambulance.

 

“Sir?”

 

Sehun was lying perfectly still on the stretcher.

 

Sehun was covered in deep red blood that continued to leak from the hole in his chest.

 

Sehun was shot protecting Jongin.

 

“Sir?”

 

Chanyeol had been shot.

 

Sehun had been shot.

 

Sehun had been shot…

 

“Sir?!”

 

“Huh?” Jongin finally noticed the paramedic standing in front of him.

 

Sighing, the man spoke, “Sir, I know you must be shocked, but we are taking the patients to the hospital now. What’s your relation to them?”

 

Jongin eyes went over to where the other paramedics were lifting Chanyeol into the emergency vehicle.

 

“Chanyeol is my boyfriend.”

 

The man nodded, “And the other?”

 

Jongin dragged his attention to Sehun who was also being loaded into the ambulance.

 

“He-Sehun’s is my…”Jongin’s throat tightened, “...Sehun...he..he’s my…”

 

The dancer closed his eyes tight and took deep breaths. He was having the hardest time getting out his words and he didn’t understand why. Why was his struggling so much? The question was so simple. All he needed to do was tell the other male who Sehun was to him.

 

So, of only he could just …

 

Exhaling slowly, Jongin tried one more time, “Sehun is a friend.”

 

The paramedic nodded, “Okay. Well, we will get you checked out on the way to the hospital. Please, come this way.”

 

Jongin was halfway to the ambulance when his brain finally registered that he was being lead further and further away from where Sehun was.

 

He abruptly stopped walked, “Where are you taking me?”

 

The paramedic spoke carefully, not wanting to startled a person who just saw two people get shot.

 

“It’s okay, Mr. Kim. We are just getting you to the hospital too. I’m guessing you would like to ride with your boyfriend on the way there.”

 

The confused looked on Jongin’s face made the paramedic think twice about his logic, as if what he assumed made no sense at all.

 

“I mean...unless you prefer to ride with your friend.”

 

Jongin didn’t miss the question in the man’s tone. He didn’t believe that a person would choose to be at a friend’s side over their lover’s.

 

He’s right.

 

They wouldn’t.

 

He shouldn’t.

 

“No, I’ll ride with my boyfriend.”

 

Jongin turned and started back toward Chanyeol’s vehicle.

 

The paramedic pretended not to see the hesitation in the dancer’s eyes.

 

~.~.~.~

 

“Hunnie, be careful. I don’t want you to fall.”

 

8 year old Sehun titled his head back, hands still tightly grasping the rails of the jungle gym he adored so much.

 

“Don’t worry, Daddy. I’m okay.”

 

Sehun continued his mission to get to the very top. He would not give up. After a few more feet of the ground, he finally made it.

 

He was so happy, “Look, Daddy. I made it!”

 

Sehun felt like he was the king of the world when his father smiled up at him, with so much pride in his eyes.

 

“You’re the best, Sehunnie! So cool!”

 

The little boy’s smile was so big and bright.

 

But like always, Sehun couldn’t stay happy for long.

 

“Jump down from there! We’re going home now!”

 

Sehun looked over at his worst nightmare, his little heart already beginning to beat against his small chest.

 

“Yes, mother.” he whispered.

 

Boa glared up at her pathetic excuse for an offspring. She watched him slowly and carefully start to climb down from the top of the jungle gym.

 

“Ya! Didn’t you hear me? I said jump down. Jump!”

 

Sehun looked back, eyes wide with fear, “But, mother. It’s too high.”

 

“Honey, pl-.”

 

“Shut up, Yunho. I didn’t ask for your input,” the woman snapped, “Sehun, don’t look at him. He can’t save you this time. Stop being a wimp and do what you are told. Jump down here. Now.”

 

Sehun was scared. He didn’t want to hurt himself.


 

Eyes glanced once more at his mother and then finally..

 

He let go.



 

Sehun’s eyes fluttered opened. He groaned as his eyes adjusted to the bright light.

 

He looked around the white room. By the beeping machines and the smell of sterilizers and bleach, Sehun concluded that he was in a hospital.

 

He hadn’t been to one in years. He prefered to take care of his own injuries at home. Hospitals were for people who were either sick or dying.

 

Sehun was neither of the two.

 

Not yet, at least.

 

The dark haired male sat up, muscles screaming at the sudden premature movement. He would ignore it though. He had been in worst pain. A shot wound was nothing.

 

Then he remembered why he had been shot in the first place.

 

Jongin!

 

“Jongin!”

 

Sehun ripped the wires off of his chest and was about to pull IV right out of his arm when a doctor quickly entered the room.

 

She rushed over to Sehun’s side and gently, yet firmly, tried to keep him down.

 

“Hey, hey, hey, It’s okay. Everything is okay, Mr. Oh.  Please, stop moving. You need to rest, please.” she cried.

 

“No, what I need is to see Jongin. Where is here? Is he okay? Is it hurt? Let go of me, you !” Sehun yelled.

 

Other doctors and nurses were now rushing in to assist their co worker. Three men held Sehun still, while the female doctor stuck a needle in Sehun’s arm and injected him with something that made his whole body quickly relax.

 

Once they were sure Sehun wasn’t going anywhere they left the room, leaving the initial doctor alone with the dazed assassin.

 

She calmly hooked Sehun back up, careful not the put too much pressure on his chest wound.

 

“Mr. Oh, I’m Doctor Im, but you can call me Yoona if you like.”

 

Sehun looked up at his doctor, eyes threatening to close at any moment.

 

“Yoona...that’s a pretty name. I like that name.” he mumbled

 

Passing the comment off as one of the many flirtatious passes she gets during the day, Yoona simply nodded and began unraveling Sehun’s bandages.

 

“It’s my little sister’s name.”

 

Yoona smiled, “Oh, yeah? How old is she?”

 

Sehun blinked, eyes staying shut a little longer than normal, “16.”

 

Yoona disposed the bloody wraps and retrieved fresh ones, “So she is in high school, yeah?”

 

Sehun lazily shook his head, “No. She doesn’t go to school.”

 

“Oh? Why is that? She’s home-schooled?”

 

“She’s dead.”

 

Yoona froze. She wasn’t expecting that at all.

 

Sehun didn’t hear the doctor comment, but he continued anyway. “She died when she was four. She would have been 16 this year.”

 

Sighing at how heavy the conversation had turned, Yoona finished up her work. She pulled back and looked down at Sehun. His eyes were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter