By Your Side

Dance with the Devil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jongin grabbed his arm, Sehun was sure his wall was going to crumble that instant. After weeks of fighting and feeling like he was….dying, all of his hard work was going to be for nothing. Jongin was going to break him and Sehun would prove to be the failure he always knew he’d been. 

As long as Jongin remains close to you he will never be safe.…

Sehun winced at the words that had been branded into his mind for weeks. He lived by those words, day in and day out. They were law, his religion. He would give his all to keep Jongin safe. 

And so when he turned and looked down at Jongin’s confused eyes, he pretended to see nothing. He looked into those eyes that held so much power over him as if he was stronger than he really was. As if someone so small and fragile hadn’t been his Achilles heel. 

Using every fiber in his body, Sehun looked Jongin directly in his eyes and lied. 

“Nothing. Sorry.” Jongin mumbled. 

Sehun quickly walked away. The unshed tears in Jongin’s eyes didn’t go unnoticed by the assassin, but for Jongin’s sake, Sehun couldn’t act on his true feelings. 

I’m so sorry, Jongin…

~.~.~.~

Luhan ended up following Sehun outside. The dark haired male looked sick, which worried the Chinese more than anything since Sehun never showed any sort of emotion on his face. 

He grabbed Sehun’s arm, not surprised when the assassin harshly snatched himself away. 

Luhan smiled sadly, “Are you okay, Sehun?” 

Sehun scoffed, “Worry about yourself, 7.” 

As always, Luhan swallowed his heartbreak and forced himself to quietly follow Sehun down the street. Obviously, Sehun knew Luhan was following him, but for some reason, he didn’t say anything. 

Even when it started to rain softly, no words were spoken. Luhan wondered what Sehun was thinking about right now. Was he thinking about Jongin still? About Kris? BTS? Kai? Luhan desperately wanted to know what went through Sehun’s mind. 


Sehun stopped at the corner and waited to cross.

Luhan bravely stood at his side. He looked over at the Silent Devil. 

Sehun’s hair that had been slicked back for the party, was now dripping wet in front of his face. The rain that was caught in the hairs of his eyebrows dropped one by one onto his closed lips. 

Luhan was drawn to the other like a moth. 

Sehun was so flawlessly handsome, so alluring, it was unbelievable. Luhan surely had to be insane. He knew just how deadly and unstable Sehun was and yet somehow he still found himself wanting to be close to him.

I must really be crazy. 

The light signaled that they could walk. Luhan started to cross but was yanked back just as a car ran the stop sign. 

The deer eyed male looked back to thank his savior, but Sehun was already walking across the street as if nothing happened. 

“Sehun, wait up,” Luhan called out and he jogged to catch up. 

Of course, Sehun didn’t stop walking. But that didn’t stop Luhan from suddenly linking their arms together and skipping ahead of the stone faced killer. 

“What the hell are you doing, Luhan?” 

The Chinese couldn’t stop his smile from spreading at the sound of Sehun actually saying his name for once. 

He turned around but didn’t stop walking. His hands wrapped tightly around Sehun’s forearm as he pulled him along, an action he did quite often when they were dating. 

“My apartment’s close to here. Let’s get out of this rain.” 

Sehun’s face slightly switched but otherwise stayed blank, “Are you that desperate to get me into your bed, Luhan?” 

The question was supposed to be rhetorical so it surprised Luhan when he opened his mouth to answer truthfully.

“So desperate.”

The demon’s eyes brow arched as he scanned Luhan’s dripping wet face. 

Luhan’s grip tightened, “Come with me, Sehun. I’ll make you forget everything that’s bothering you.” 

I’ll make you forget about him…

Luhan patiently waited for rejection. Sehun had turned him down at every chance he got. He ignored him, insulted him, made him doubt his worth. 

Sehun was the devil. To his very core, Luhan knew that fact. 

“Promise?” 

Luhan’s eyes went wide. 

Was this really happening? Was it a dream?

Either way, it made Luhan glow with happiness. 

He stepped closer and slowly place a hand on Sehun’s wet cheek. 

“Yes, Sehun. I’ll make you forget.” 

~.~.~.~

Sehun didn’t regret sleeping with Luhan. After all, Luhan was very pretty and Sehun was a man. As much as Sehun hated physical contact, he too had ual urges that needed to be taken care of every once in awhile. 

However, Sehun would never stick around afterward. Once he was done with someone, there was absolutely no reason to linger.

Luhan was no exception to that rule. 

Sehun pulled on his clothes and shoved his phone into his back pocket. He didn’t bother putting the suit jacket back on, so he slung it over his shoulder and left Luhan’s apartment. 

It was around 3 am so the streets were pretty much clear, the casual taxi passing by every now and then. Sehun flagged one down and told the taxi his address. 

On the way, Sehun sat in the back seat nodding his head every few moments at the story the driver was telling him. Of course, Sehun didn’t actually listen to a single word. He was too lost in his own thoughts. 

“So you got someone special in your life, son?” 

Sehun debated on whether or not to ignore the question, but what were the odds of him ever seeing the man again. 

“Yeah.” 

The man chuckled, “With your looks, I’m sure she is beautiful.” 

Sehun looked out the window, “He is.” 

“Ah,” the man nodded, “You been together for long?” 

“No, we can never be together.” 

“Oh? Why? Someone else in the picture?” 

Sehun scoffed, “That guy is hardly an obstacle.” 

“Then what’s the problem?” 

“I’ll be happy if we’re together,” Sehun opened his door once they pulled up in front of his apartment building. He swiped his credit card and was about to shut the door when the taxi driver stopped him. 

“Wait! What’s wrong with being happy?”

Sehun’s grip on the door tightened, “If I’m happy...she’ll kill him.” 

~.~.~.~

Jongin stared outside his window at the city cast over by heavy rain clouds. It’s been raining a lot lately, but the dancer didn’t mind. He enjoyed the rain. His best memories included the wet weather. 

He remembered dancing in the rain with Kai when they were kids, kicking and jumping in every puddle they could find. The twins would always get scolded by their mother when they came back home dripping wet and their shoes covered in mud. But it was worth it because she would force them into the shower together for the boys to only horseplay even more. 

Jongin smiled sadly. He would give anything to relive those days again. When everything was simple. When his biggest concern was wondering if he had to sit next to that booger eating kid from the States, Vernon, in math class. 

Life was so complicated now. Every day he worried that Chanyeol would get hurt on police business. He was in constant fear that someone would intrude on his dance classes and hurt one of his precious babies and he would be defenseless against it. He was always disappointed in himself for not visiting his parents since he returned from France, but he couldn’t bear their smiling faces as they looked at him and knew that the better son was no longer.  

Jongin felt like a failure to his students, to his parents, his friends, Chanyeol. And yet, no one ever showed their disappointment in him. It was as if they thought he didn’t know that they preferred better. They wanted someone who was completely unlike Jongin. Someone perfect. 

Someone like Kai. 

But Jongin could never be like his twin. He wasn’t strong or brave like him. He wasn’t good at sports and nowhere near Kai’s level in dance. They were only a few moments apart in birth, but Jongin felt like Kai had always been a lifetime away. 

And now Kai really was, and Jongin would never catch up. 


Jongin had thought this need to be as worthy as his brother would disappear when he got accepted to the university in France. As silly as it sounded, he was proud of himself. He had accomplished something not many people could relate to. However, when Kai had told him that he wasn’t interested in going there, or to any college for that matter, Jongin was crestfallen. 

Was getting accepted really special? Did it even matter when his role model displayed zero interest? Kai encouraged Jongin to go even so. 

I want you to live your life far away from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter