Reality Check: Love Isn't All Rainbows And Butterflies

Beyond Words

 

They had gotten much closer, considering the fact that they had spent ten long years of school together. Each quarrel and every tear spilled would have definitely account for something. Tiffany didn't have to lie. She admitted that she and Jessica couldn't exactly get along initially.

 

It wasn't until recently when she felt a little different whenever Jessica was around. Like there was a need to show off a little in front of the older girl - that she was a little more caring than the rest, a little more attentive than the rest, a little closer to her than the rest.

 

She didn't know what it was, honestly. She thought that maybe it was just the sudden need for attention - probably due to some mood swing kind of thing - but it was odd, considering the fact that she continually wanted Jessica to notice her.

 

Things became worse when Tiffany felt her heart thump a little faster whenever Jessica reached out to comb her hair with her fingers or when Jessica sneakily slides her hand in the space in between Tiffany's arm and body. She liked it a lot, but felt a little worried when she felt her heart loving it.

 

-

 

Jessica liked Tiffany. Not in that kind of way, but as friends - although sometimes she gets a little confused when she have sudden urges to touch the younger girl, or when she can't help but to notice Tiffany. She felt that Tiffany was a little more caring than the rest, a little more attentive than the rest, or maybe even a little closer to her than the rest. Don't get it wrong, the both of them were best friends. But the problem starts when Jessica finds the urge to tell everything to the younger girl - which wasn't exactly normal for best friends because even a little privacy is needed- but she managed to successfully convince herself that it was because they were close that she was acting this way. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

But the way she convinced herself made Tiffany extremely upset.

 

The older girl had accepted Taecyeon's invitation to a date. To be honest, Tiffany knew that being eighteen, it was normal to have raging hormones, the burning desire to be touched and loved by others. And as Jessica's best friend, she should be happy about it. But much to her horror, she felt her heart ache a little when Jessica's smile brightened when she announced that she was going out with him.

 

-

 

"I'm excited for the date!"

 

Tiffany chuckled at Jessica's obvious excitement  from the wide smile that was plastered on her face.

 

"I'm sure,"

 

"Are you happy for me?"

 

"What for?"

 

"What do you mean what for? For finally getting a boyfriend of course!"

 

Tiffany forced a smile as she replied diplomatically.

 

"Yeah, of course. I'm happy for you. Congratulations!"

 

"But you don't sound like you're genuinely happy,"

 

"I am,"

 

"Your face is sour,"

 

Jessica cheekily leaned closer as she whispers, "Are you upset that I won't be spending time with you from now on?"

 

Tiffany kept quiet. She was indeed feeling bitter about this entire ordeal. Jessica accepting Taecyeon's date request was a big blow to her. She should be happy, she ought to be. But she wonders why her tears fall whenever she remembers Jessica whispering I-love-yous into the phone to ,very clearly, Taecyeon.

 

And she thinks again. What is this feeling? Jealousy? She shouldn't be jealous - in fact she should be glad that she finally didn't need to take care of childish Jessica. But at the thought of the older blonde leaving her,  tears started spilling - it didn't matter that she was right in front of Jessica.

 

 

"Hey, hey are you okay? Why are you crying? I was just kidding!" The older girl reached out to wipe the tears of Tiffany's face but was harshly pushed away by the brunette.

 

"I'm fine. Really,"

 

"No, you're obviously not. Tell me what happened," Jessica's eyebrows furrowed as she tried wiping the tears away again, only to have Tiffany flinching from her advancing touches.  She hated it when Tiffany pretends she is all fine when everyone could tell the obvious pain she is in.

 

"You don't have to pretend Tiffany. You know you can always count on me,"

 

"I'm fine. Now go for your date, you're going to be late,"

 

Tiffany forced out cheeriness in her reply as she hastily wipes her stained cheeks with the back of her hand. She then hurriedly pushes Jessica towards the door, rushing the girl out on her date - or rather out of her house .

 

"No. I'm not going to leave unless you tell me what happened,"

 

She was clearly frustrated. How was she to tell Jessica that she was crying over the fact that her best friend finally had a boyfriend (even when she herself didn't know the reason behind those tears) ?

 

"NOTHING HAPPENED OKAY! STOP ASKING AND JUST GO ON YOUR DATE ALREADY!"

 

She pushed Jessica out of the door,  ignoring the continuous knocking that came from the other side.

 

She needed to push Jessica out of her life.

 

-

 

Ok Taecyeon.

 

The source of all her problems, but ironically the source of Jessica's happiness.

 

And Jessica's happiness should be equated to her own happiness.

 

Well, the word was should. But in reality, it didn't.

 

Tiffany tried all ways to avoid Jessica - from running in and out of the cafeteria just to avoid bumping into the older girl, to skipping cheerleading just to not see the sight of y Jessica in a short and tight-fitting skirt. She hated to admit, but it did made her a little .

 

Was it wrong? Was it wrong to think that her own friend was hot? Hell, the question should be was it normal to think that her own friend was hot. She never wanted to find out, but unfortunately she did a few nights ago, about her feelings towards Jessica Jung.

 

It wasn't exactly hard to guess or actually realise it. The difficult part was her accepting it. Accepting that fact that she had fallen head over heels for her very own childhood friend. And the worst part was that she hated herself for doing so, she hated her heart for beating faster whenever Jessica was around.

 

-

 

To her, love wasn't happiness. Love was painful.

 

To Jessica, love was happiness. Love wasn't painful.

 

But love should be happiness.

 

And Tiffany thought she did the right thing when she decided to call Taecyeon up.

 

-

 

"Hey,"

 

"Hey,"

 

"So what did you want to say to me?"

 

"I'm happy for you and Jessica, especially after seeing her so happy after every date you have with her. And I'm hoping that you will keep her this way forever, that she will never ever be sad again,"

 

Taecyeon kept quiet as he looked at her in surprise.

 

"And if I ever find out that you broke her heart in any way, any way at all, you'll get it from me,"

 

"You called me all the way here just to say these two lines?"

 

"Yes. Because these two lines mean a lot to me and it should for you too,"

 

The man picked his next words cautiously.

 

"Do you like her?"

 

Tiffany made no effort to give him a reply as she placed a few notes on the table and called for the bill.

 

"That's none of your business. Just do what you ought to do, and do it well,"

 

-

 

She rejected the incoming call the moment she saw the name appearing on the screen.

 

Incoming Call

Jessica/M

 

It had been a few hours since her meeting with Taecyeon, so it wasn't difficult to guess what this conversation was going to be about. He must have told her everything  she had said, but silently prayed that he didn't tell her about that unrequited love she had for the older girl. Tiffany didn't answer his question, but it didn't take a genius to figure it out. You would have thought that since it was obvious, Jessica would have known. But the older girl was dense - it took her a month to realise that Taecyeon was wooing her - and Tiffany shouldn't blame her for it. It was indeed funny that everyone knew about her feelings, except the girl that she had feelings for.

 

The ringing finally stopped and Tiffany felt a short vibration on the palm of her hand.

 

1 New Message

From: Jessica/M

 

She didn't bother to read it as she deleted it and placed the phone onto the nightstand. She was tired, and she had enough for the day. She was ready to move on from this heartbreak, move on to a new life.

 

 

 

From: Jessica/M

To: Tiffany/M

Message: I'm sorry, I truly am.