The First Encounter

Beyond Words

 

 

It was always the case of the mean boss she has at work that made Tiffany Hwang sit in front of the bartender, who was currently concocting the most alcoholic drink he has ever made in his entire life - reason being the brunette wanting to drown herself in alcoholic beverages to forget everything that has happened.

 

She didn't know why she was there. It could be because of the memo that she had received earlier on her desk that led to the confrontation with her boss. She could get fired, but hell, she doesn't want to even work for him anymore.  So why was she drinking? She slowly loses her memory as she gulps down her drink - Right, I had a bad day.

 

Even though Tiffany Hwang was turning a little red and the giggles coming out from indicated that she was starting to get a little drunk, she was still highly aware of the set of eyes staring at her from the other corner of the table. She looks elegant, the brunette thinks before wondering what a beautiful girl like her was doing at a club.

 

The stares from the other girl wasn't exactly comforting. It wasn't the kind of loving eyes that Tiffany would like to look back into. Instead, it was more like a glare, a glare that told her she was being watched.

 

Feeling extremely uncomfortable, Tiffany stood up from her seat and placed the money on the counter before staggering off. Her instincts warned her about the possibility of the blonde following her, yet her heart felt a little disappointed when her way home was undisturbed.

 

They were five seats apart.

 

-

 

She wasn't completely drunk that night. In fact, she was still a little sober as she remembered the face of the blonde, brown eyes scrutinizing the brunette's every movement.

 

As much as she wanted to think that it was creepy, she couldn't help but to miss it, and the thought of not seeing it again displeased her.

 

So Tiffany found herself standing in front of the club the next day, contemplating whether to go in or not. Her brain said no, but her heart said yes.

 

Talking about following the heart, well, she did. The brunette took a step into the club and scanned the room. Looking past the dance floor, the DJ-ing area, she finally found her. There she was, sitting at the exact same seat as the day before and-

 

IS SHE WEARING THE SAME DRESS?

 

Tiffany wasn't sure because she was a little high, the last time they met, to take notice of the small intricate design on the dress.

 

The younger girl squeezed her way through the crowd and took a deep breath as she managed to reach the counter unscathed. She counted the seats - 1,2,3 - and settled down on the chosen one.

 

Both of them kept silent as Tiffany awkwardly looked to her right to find the older girl coldly staring at her. Then she mentally curses herself - WHY WAS SHE EVEN THERE IF SHE FEELS UNCOMFORTABLE AROUND HER?

 

So in order to make herself less obvious at her discomfort, she quickly ordered an alcoholic drink.

 

"The same one as last night?"

 

"Ohh no no! Something lighter please! But I have to say, that drink was good!"

 

"Thank you, it was my first time making such a strong drink!"

 

Tiffany laughed out of politeness as the bartender took his leave to prepare the drink for her.

 

She gulped as she notice that the stare directed towards her did not die down the entire time.

 

So the younger girl clears and drinks the drink in front of her, wanting to get out as quickly as possible.

 

-

 

Another bad day with her boss. And she was sitting right next to her, the mysterious blonde, who was currently just sipping her drink, eyes never leaving the drunk figure beside her own.

 

"-and he thinks I did it! I MEAN COME ON, WHY ME? I WOULDN'T DO IT! YOU BELIEVE ME DON'T YOU?"

 

Tiffany looks expectantly at the other girl. She notices that her features are sharp and she seemed to be glowing under the dim lighting.

 

"I believe you," That was the first time Tiffany heard the other girl speak. And she had to admit, even her voice was attractive.

 

"WOW! IT'S THE FIRST TIME HEARING YOU SPEAK! WHAT'S YOUR NAME? I'M TIFFANY!" Being drunk made Tiffany a little less conscious of who she was speaking to, be it a robber, murderer, or even stalker - like the girl in front of her.

 

"I'm Jessica,"

 

"JESSICA, WHAT A NICE NAME! HOW I WISHED I HAD THAT KIND OF NAME! MAYBE MY BOSS WOULDN'T HATE ME SO MUCH,"

 

"Why don't you come and work for me?"

 

"WHAT?"

 

Jessica didn't bother to reply the drunk girl as she wrote down an address on a piece of tissue and stuffed it into the younger girl's pocket.

 

"I've got to go. See you around,"

 

Tiffany swears she saw the blonde disappear  into thin air as she closed her eyes, darkness slowly taking over.

 

-

 

1301-4 Seocho-Dong, Seocho-gu

 

Tiffany held the piece of tissue dearly as she stood in front of the big chemical company with her resume on the other hand. She thought that maybe Jessica would be the one interviewing her. But then again, was the blonde even in marketing?

 

Whatever the case is, I need to get out of my job

 

So she takes a step in, a step closer to freedom.

 

-

 

The interview was a success. She managed to resign from her stupid job and join this new company. She was glad that the people were nice and were willing to help her all the way.

 

She had all this to thank Jessica for.

 

Which reminded her, she hadn't seen Jessica for weeks ever since she got this job.

 

-

 

"Why weren't you at work today?"

 

"I just didn't go,"

 

"And for the past few weeks?"

 

"I was busy,"

 

"With?"

 

"Nothing that concerns you,"

 

"You're really weird you know,"

 

It made Jessica raise an eyebrow at Tiffany and the younger girl began to stutter.

 

"I-in a good way. I-it's no-not a bad thing!" She tries to force out a laughter to ease the tension.

 

Jessica turned away (for the first time she isn't staring intently at Tiffany) and mumbled randomly.

 

"I'm glad you like this job,"

 

-

 

Was the club the only place to meet the blonde? Apparently it was as Tiffany couldn't find the blonde at her work place again. So she returns back to the shady place and orders her usual.

 

Only this time, Jessica wasn't sitting at her usual seat.

 

"Did you see Jessica?"

 

Tiffany had been to this club so often that the bartender was practically her second best friend. Best friend being the quiet Jessica. How she even became her best friend was a mystery itself - the girl practically only says one sentence in every conversation she initiated.

 

"Jessica? Who's that?"

 

"The one I've been talking to all this while? The girl about my height with blonde hair?"

 

"Yo-you've been talking to someone all this while?"

 

She realised something was going on when he started stuttering.

 

"You mean you didn't see her?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You've been talking to yourself all these while,"

 

-

 

It haunted her. How could it be that she has been talking to no one all this time? Then who the hell is Jessica? And if she was a ghost, then how could she hold a pen and write down the address of her company?

 

But then again, why would the bartender lie to her?

 

Too many questions, but there are no answers.

 

-

 

"Do you know who Jessica is?"

 

"Jessica?"

 

"Yeah, is there anyone by the name of Jessica working in this company?"

 

"Currently no. But there used to be one,"

 

"What happened to her?"

 

"She died when the explosion took place,"

 

-

 

Tiffany finally believes the bartender. Partly because of the talk with her colleague, and also the help of Google. She looked it up on the internet and found out that Jessica was a young and aspiring chemist who was unfortunately killed when the wrong chemicals were mixed by accident.

 

It made her shudder in fear.

 

She had been talking to a restless ghost.

 

As much as she wanted to sleep, she could only close her eyes as the words replayed in her head. Questions started to fill her mind.

 

Why was Jessica staring at her all this while?

 

What good does Jessica have when she recommended her the job?

 

Did she want her to get killed as well?

 

But deep down the question she really wanted to ask was, why me?

 

Tiffany really wanted to know what the hell was happening. She had the right to. But then again, meeting up with Jessica after knowing that the latter was a ghost was a little horrifying.

 

She flipped over as she groaned, upset over the fact that she couldn't get the answers she wanted and also because of the fact she couldn't sleep.

 

Feeling the exact same discomfort she had the first time she met Jessica, Tiffany opened her eyes and shrieked when she saw the same pair of brown eyes staring back at her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hello, Tiffany. We meet again,"

 

She didn't expect Jessica to want to answer her curious questions.