DAY 4 Camping

Such an Adventure

June 15th, 2017. 18:10 KST

 

The kids dashed out of the car as soon as Kris killed the engine. Somewhat they managed to arrive there with the sun was still above their head. Lucky.

 

The adults got all the things in the car trunk out and placed them on the ground while the kids explored the surrounding, running here and there,chasing, scattering dried leaves on the ground, poking the earthworm and other creatures which they couldn't see in the city.

 

“Kids, don't run too far. Stay where I can see you!” Junmyeon shouted out for the running excited kids, but like usual, the warning just blew with the wind. No one listened anyway. Chanyeol nearly dashed out deep into the forest in attempt to find his small frog friend if not Kris who managed to grab him by his collar. They could not afford to lose a child in a forest so he kept his eyes on them while his friend sorted the things they brought.

 

Junmyeon was in lost on which he should do first. He needed to set up the tents, and of course the light caused it was nearly dark. And he needed woods for the campfire tonight. And of course, he needed to prepare the dinner too. Damn. He needed more manpowers. Adults. Not kids.

 

However, the light bulb lighted up. Maybe, he could make use of the kids’ never-ending energy.

 

He gathered the kids and gave them tasks. Minseok, Luhan and Kyungsoo helped him to prepare dinner. The two oldest hyungs cut the vegetables under Junmyeon’s supervision while little Kyungsoo helped him grab things he needed in order to prepare the dinner. The three beagles were instructed to find dried woods or sticks around them with Yixing as their leader. The other three maknaes helped Kris to set up the tents. Well, they were trying. With the size of the tents bigger than them, they were drowned and ended up playing hide and seek with the tall adult. And with that, the supposedly not-taking-so-much-time work ended up 2 hours later, when the dinner was already served and it was already dark and exhausted Kris.

 

 

19:54 KST

 

Dinner preparation went well if you were not looking at Junmyeon nearly ruined the whole dinner when Kyungsoo mistakenly handed him vinegar instead of cooking oil, burnt fried eggs because of Junmyeon lost his attention for ‘a moment’ custody to, again, Chanyeol and the two older kids kept stealing the sausages he cooked. While that, Yixing and the triplets did a good job in finding the woods, a lot of them. Junmyeon was glad one task was done. But then, looking at the four kids’ appearances, unfortunately, he needed to do another task, cleaned them up. From hair to toe, they were caked with soil like a labor who had just finish his job at a quarry.

 

Junmyeon managed to clean up the kids, set up the light, set up the table for their dinner, light up the campfire and put the small folding chairs around it but still, Kris was not done with the tents. Not before Junmyeon ran up to him and smacked him in the head for taking too much time and grab the distracting kids with him so that the adult could finish his task. Kris pouted and whining under his breath on how it was not his fault and blamed the kids for distracting him. He sweared he could hear Sehun’s giggle when Junmyeon hit him. The little kid for sure did not like him. He pouted again.

 

Finish setting up the tents, side by side, and eating their dinner, the group sat around the campfire with each held a mug of chocolate drink and a stick of marshmallow. It’s a tradition afterall.

 

“Baekhyun, don’t put it too long on fire, it’ll melt.” The said kid put out his stick and for sure the marshmallow was melting. And he demanded for another one. He kept melting the poor sweet and demanded for a new one but after three attempts, Junmyeon refused to give him any more. He whined loudly and sulked when the adult ignored him. He wanted to throw a tantrum but completely stopped after one was offered to him. Chanyeol gave up his share and put one of them, which he was just done roasting, in front of his brother’s mouth. Even with tears on the brim of his eyes, Baekhyun took the offer and happily munching the sweetness in his mouth. This was why Chanyeol was his best-est little brother ever.

 

The night was getting darker and they had done what was necessary to be done at camping. They sang campfire songs, one after another, until their throats hurted. Well, it was not the real campfire songs. They were just the songs they sang at their kindergarten. As the two adults couldn’t play guitar, the songs were played from their phones and they sang along. And it was loud. I meant, really loud.The adults were kind of worry if one of the nearby villagers would come here and chase them out for the noise. But lucky, no one did. After a while, the kids were already ran out of energy and slumped on their seats. Most of them stared blankly at the campfire, getting sleepy as the time went by. Junmyeon and Kris took a cue to get everything clean up and get ready for sleep. They left the kids there for a little while for them to clean all the plates, mugs and the cooking utensils they used for dinner.

 

Kris finished early and sat back at his seat. He had to put out the fire before they slept.

 

“Hyung!” He here a gasp from somewhere.

 

“What? Where?” He was anxiously looking for the source. He was for sure have a wild imagination and extremely anxious with them out here, in the middle of the dark.

 

Kris sighed in relief when it was just Yixing with his hands pointing up to the dark sky. The stars.The dark sky was full of stars, shining and twinkling for their audiences. It was a rare scene to be seen, not for the city boys of course.

 

“They are a lot. And pretty.” Yixing squealed. His eyes were big and mouth was hanging open. He was completely under the spell now.

 

Kris smiled. Stars always do a good job in amusing someone, even if they were just a few. The kid’s excitement brought all their attention to the sky, just staring at them for a while. Kris was glad even the kids were small, they knew how to take some time to enjoy and appreciate nature.

 

 





And of course, a while was just a little while.

 

“Is it shining?”

 

“Why are they twinkling?”

 

“How many of them?”

 

“How far are they from us? Can we go there?”

 

“Do aliens live there?”

 

The kids’ span of attention were short and Kris was then bombarded with questions from the kids about stars. He was not in the mood to give an astronomy lecture which he was sure the kids would not even understand them anyway and he was for sure not an expert of aliens. And again, he was saved by his friend who was calling the kids to prepare them for sleep. He ushered the kids to his friend while listening to Jongdae’s whine on how he was not yet finish counting the stars.

 

 

21:19 KST


It was completely dark outside of their tents. A portable LED lamp was hanged at the side of tent to give some light. It was odd to see the kids were not having fuss with their sleeping time today.  They dociled upon hearing the two adults’ instruction to brush their teeth and stay in the tents.

 

They splited into two group, Kris was with Luhan, Minseok, Zitao, Kyungsoo and Jongin while Junmyeon was with Yixing, the triplets and Sehun.

 

Junmyeon closed up the tent and dimmed the light a little bit. He chuckled upon seeing the kids. Buried with blanket, the kids stuck close together to each other and completely silenced. But their eyes were wide opened. The dark really do a magic to them.

 

“Sleep now.” He lied down on his side with Sehun on his left. They commanded him to be on the far end so that if something happened he would be the first one to be sacrificed. What nice kids he had.

 

Baekhyun quickly climbed up him as soon as he lied down. The kid completely buried his head on his chest and hugged him tightly. And the remaining kids crowded to his side to stay close to him. Junmyeon was for sure would not have a good sleep tonight. Well, truth to be told, he himself was kind of scared too. The dark, the rattling of the branches, the cricket, the silence. It was getting creepier and he was sure he heard imaginary sound now.

 

“Hyung?” Small voice was heard before he could close his eyes.

 

“Why Chanyeol?” He lowly asking the kid. From the dim light, he could figure out Chanyeol’s head peeking from under his thick blue blanket.

 

“If wolf attack us now, would you run or save us first?”


 

Huh?

 

 

Junmyeon was stunned for a moment. “Erm..Why-- why are you asking?” As if it was a cue, a howling sound echoed, breaking the silence in the wood.

 

Okay. He did not sign up for this.

 

He sat straight up and immediately light up the tent properly. “What was that?” He did not know to whom he asked. The kids were already whimpering. It was silence again. Suddenly, he heard something, a growl, and it was near. Before he knew, all of them scattered out of the tent, frantically calling for Kris.

 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, in the other tent, all the occupants were already in their deep sleep. Somehow Kris managed to get them to sleep peacefully tonight with no more smackdown. But the peace did not last long as he were abruptly woke up with the chaos on the other side of the tent. Rubbing his sleepy eyes and widely yawn, he opened the tent. Before he could ask what happen, he was knocked down by the rushing kids.

 

“Kids, what-- Junmyeon, what are you doing here? There is no space. Umph.” And again he was knocked down with sudden step on his stomach, his legs and heavy weight on his face.


In short, ten kids with two adults cramped inside one tent for the rest of the night.

 

 

A/N: Are you still here?