The Bridge

Tears And Wounds In Time

The next day, Min Hyuk made a quick visit to Yong Hwa before going to the emergency room for duty. He had learned that Yong Hwa was not vomitting for the past twelve hours, and he was still coherent and still could remember things.

"Annyeong haseyo?" Min Hyuk greeted Yong and his eomeoni.

"Oh, Min Hyuk-ah, have you eaten?" Eomma asked.

"Ne," he replied. "I just came here to visit Yong Hwa. How's my buddy?"

Yong lit up a small smile.

"At least, I'm a guy," he said. "I could pee without problems."

"Ah, ne, coz your affected area is your hips and you could not stand up unassisted," Min Hyuk said.

Yong could not see, but it felt good listening to Min Hyuk's perky voice. It soothed his heart like ice on a twisted ankle. Later, Min Hyuk exited and went to his duty.

"Yong Hwa, Eomma will be working, so I leave the care to the nurses, arasseo?" 

"Ne, Eomma."

As his eomeoni left, he reached for the things on the bedside table and swept them away in hurt and anger. Why was he the one being hit? Why not another person? Why did he not die if he had just been hit? A lot of questions came as tears trailed his eyes and soaked the dressing on his face, and that was what the doctor and the nurse found out when they had the morning rounds. They spoke gentle and encouraging words to him to ease the hurt, but he kept on crying.

"Because of this fracture, I could not graduate with my classmates," he sobbed.

The doctor heaved a sigh and patted the young man.

"I understand what you are going through," the doctor said. "It must have been very painful to be left behind by friends."

Yong nodded. As the doctor and the nurse changed his dressing, he began talking about his Engineering friends, the Lee brothers, and his Nursing friend, Min Hyuk.

"What course are you taking up?" the nurse asked him.

"I'm taking up Fine Arts," Yong Hwa replied.

"Good, good," the doctor said. "Nice one."

Before they left, they spoke of soothing words to him.

*****

That afternoon after classes, Jong Hyun and Jung Shin bought some ice cream on sticks and went to visit Yong Hwa. His Appa was accompanying him, so the two guys greeted politely.

"Abeonim, we brought ice cream for you and Yong Hwa-hyung," Jung Shin said.

"Oh, good, good," Appa said. "He can eat that already."

Appa's phone rang, so he excused himself and went out.

"I will feed you the ice cream, Yong Hwa-hyung," Jung Shin said.

"Gomawo," Yong Hwa replied.

The brothers sat down, and the model peeled off the cover of the sweet treat. He placed the ice cream to Yong Hwa's lips, being careful that the patient wouldn't get soiled. Min Hyuk came in and saw the ice cream.

"Wow! Boy, am I hungry!" he exclaimed.

"You're always hungry," Jong Hyun said.

Min Hyuk grabbed one stick from the pack and started eating. They chatted all they have to, and Yong Hwa could only imagine his friends' faces as they talk. He felt dolorous all morning, but with the encouragement from the medical team, his parents, and his friends, he had less time to sulk.

"Oh, I remember," Min Hyuk said. "Park Shin Hye once said that if she wanted to have time, she would care for someone else."

"Those are just said to please the fans," Jong Hyun carelessly said.

"Ara, but what if we can try it?" Min Hyuk proposed. "What can you say?"

Jung Shin nodded and said that it would be a good idea.

"Though, I cannot really guarantee that she will come here," Jung Shin said. "I'll try my luck."

"Thanks, guys," Yong Hwa said.

"One thing to make her remember," Jung Shin said. "Is for me to show to her the handkerchief."

Yong Hwa remembered it so well. As he had the feeling that they would meet each other again, he hid it under his pillow.

"I'll have Eomma bring it tonight," Yong Hwa said.

****** 

Indeed, Eomma brought the hanky from the house, and she brought it to Yong Hwa. The next day, when the brothers came, Yong Hwa handed the hanky to Jung Shin and made him promise that if he could not find Shin Hye for a week, he's gonna return the hanky.

"I promise," Jung Shin said.

******

Saturday morning.

The models had their workshop, and Jung Shin thought that Yong Hwa's lucky stars had been working, for Shin Hye was one of the facilitators there. He paid too much attention so he could succeed in the modeling world, and at the same time, catch Shin Hye's attention for his buddy. He had to convince her to remember Yong Hwa and visit him. Thus, after the workshop, he went over to Shin Hye.

"Shin Hye-ssi," Jung Shin said with a bow.

"Ah, ne," Shin Hye said. "You are really great."

"Gamsahamnida," the untouchable goddess replied.

He produced the handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to her.

"My, I thought I had lost that," she said as she received the hanky.

"You did not lose this," he told her. "You once gave this to a fan who was sweating one day during your meet-and-greet."

Shin Hye tried to scroll her mind, but it had clogged up her memory because of all her problems and her busy life.

"The person whom you have given this hanky once said that he likes you, and you even said that a lot of fans said that to you," Jung Shin said. "You had an impression of him because he was sweating a lot, that is why after the showcase, you had me give this hanky to him."

"Oh..." Shin Hye said.

"My other friend also told you that he idolized you because you and him are into caring for other people," Jung Shin said. "And you even said that if you can have the time, you will care for someone, like the poor and the sick."

Shin Hye suddenly remembered.

"Ah, the nursing student?" she asked.

"Ne, he said those words to you about helping people," Jung Shin said.

"And this other friend, the sweaty guy," Shin Hye said. "How is he?"

Jung Shin looked at her grimly.

"Anything wrong, Jung Shin-ssi?" she asked.

"Geuge... Yong Hwa-hyung... Jung Yong Hwa is his name, you see, and," he explained. "He is in the hospital."

Shin Hye exhibited a sad face.

"I'm so sorry for him," she said. "I hope he gets well."

"If he would get well in time," Jung Shin said.

"Huh? What do you mean?" Shin Hye asked.

Jung Shin explained to her what happened, and her face had the look of great worry. 

"He wanted you to visit him, that is why he had me give you the hanky," he said. "Right now, he could not see because his face was bandaged."

"Oh...oh dear...." her voice quivered.

With conviction, she said she was gonna visit him, and she asked for Jung Shin's number for contact.

"I will tell my Manager Oppa that I will visit someone in the hospital, whether he likes it or not," she said.

"Are you...coming with me?" Jung Shin asked.

"Ne," she said.

She looked for her manager and explained to him. Just as expected, the manager refused, but she kept her stand.

"I will visit a fan," she said. "Is that so wrong?"

"Ah..a fan!" the manager said, the wind beginning to change course. "Ah, of course, that is nice. But we need to have permission from the hospital to have your visit televised..."

"I'll be doing this on my own, no publicity, no cameras, nothing but raw," Shin Hye said. 

"Andwae," the manager refused.

"Ganda (I'm going)," she stiffly said before turning her back on the manager.

Thus, she went out on a disguise with Jung Shin so that she would not be recognized.

"How does he look like?" she asked him.

He understood that she met a lot of people, so she could not even remember the faces. When Jung Shin showed him the picture in his cellphone, Shin Hye stared at him for a moment.

"Oh, now I remember him," she said. "He looks pretty cute."

"Shin Hye-ssi, you are really something," Jung Shin smirked.

"Well, can you share me the pic?" she asked.

Jung Shin gave her the copy of his friend's pic, and she bit her lips and felt herself blushing when she looked at Yong Hwa's picture.

"He's really cute," she thought with a smile.

 

~~~~