The Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins Beneath One's Feet

Tears And Wounds In Time

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." (Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching, Chapter 64)

Even the longest and most difficult venture has a starting point....

 

(http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/a_journey_of_a_thousand_miles_begins_with_a_single_step)

****

The boys were having a jolly good time talking with Yong Hwa's bumonim, and Manager Eonni joined them as well. The two lovers went out for fresh air because the room had been very stuffy already.

"I think I really feel something in my legs now," Yong Hwa said nervously. 

He gave her an anxious look. "Don't hate me, but I am trying on this one."

"But your doctor had not checked on you yet," Shin Hye told him in worry.

"Ara... but I wanna try," he said as he placed his crutches beside him.

She looked nervously as he stood up crisply.

"I'm listening to my legs, you know," he told her in a light mood to brush the anxiety away.

Shin Hye stood up and held up her hand for him to hold.

"If you fall down, I'll be here," she said to him.

He saw a flash of determination in her eyes, so he nodded.

"Here goes," he muttered...

...as he took his first step on his left leg. He instantly shifted his weight back to his right leg.

"Did...did you see that?" he asked Shin Hye.

Shin Hye did not respond, all too worried about the broken bones on his hips. But Yong Hwa took another step...and another step...and another step.

"You...can walk now..." she said softly.

Yong Hwa lit up a smile as he took another three steps with his "new leg."

"Shin Hye-ya, I can walk!" he excitedly remarked.

She let her tears fall down as she hugged him. Indeed, it was she who saw him walk first.

"It is a limp, Oppa, but it is worth a try," she sobbed. "Practice makes perfect."

"And with a single step, I can go on further," he said, trying to quote Lao Tzu.

While still hugging him, she asked him if he understood what Lao Tzu was trying to say in that quote.

"Yes," Yong Hwa said. "He meant that, the longest venture has a starting point. With that quote in mind, I think my new journey begins with the strength of my new leg."

He could feel her nod. When she let go of her hug, she saw that tears had ran down his eyes too.

"I feel like a toddler learning how to walk again," he frowned.

She wiped the tears from his face, then from hers.

"It's all right, Jagiya," she said. "I don't mind. If you are going to the doctor tomorrow, just tell him your observations."

"Ah, ne," he said. "Then I can demand from Jung Shin the party he promised to throw for me."

As they stood there smiling at his achievement, Min Hyuk got out to call on them.

"Hyung! Why are you????" the cutie boy asked.

"Min Hyuk-ah, I can walk!" Yong Hwa declared.

Min Hyuk blinked his eyes and dropped his jaw. "B-b-but..."

All others peeked from the door. Eomma and Appa went out to see their son standing--and with the crutches away from him.

"Sh..Shin Hye-ya," Appa said. "Did you assist Yong Hwa without his crutches?"

Shin Hye shook her head as she held her hands up. Yong Hwa lit up his boyish smile as  he walked with a limp towards his parents. Eomma and Appa were all emotional, very unable to believe that they saw their son walking without any assistive device. Shin Hye followed him so in case he'd fall, she'd be there to catch him.

"Yong Hwa!!!" Eomma cried as she advanced to hug her son.

Appa also came to hug him, and all the other guys clapped their hands at the achievement that Yong Hwa had.

"We will still be sure to get back to the doctor tomorrow," Eomma said.

"Geurae," he replied to his eomeoni. "A consultation would be great."

"Ya, just ask Uisa-seonsaengnim when you can play basketball with us," Jong Hyun 1st said.

"And ask when you can carry a ve~~~ry  heavy load," Jung Shin .

"Ya! It is too early!" Yong Hwa chided the long-haired goddess. "Besides, you still have a promise to keep."

Jung Shin lit up a sly smile. 

"Ah, I never forgot that promise," he told Yong Hwa.

It was a merry night for everyone, because Yong Hwa finally got up from a fall.

*************

The visit to the doctor was a memorable one. The physician had wanted to have Yong sent for rehab, but he declined, stating that he'd try to learn how to walk on his own. The doctor said that the therapists were trained to do that, but Yong Hwa still refused, stating that it would be better for the therapists to help other patients who badly needed their assistance. The doctor could not convince him because Yong Hwa wanted to just learn how to walk again through his own efforts.

And thus, Yong Hwa got up early in the morning for two weeks to learn how to walk. His friends, even the second Jong Hyun, would go to his house before classes to see his gait and even give their feedbacks. It was Min Hyuk who was closely monitoring him, visiting him after classes too.

Jong Hyun 2nd finally bid his friends goodbye, and it was sad that he would not be able to attend Yong Hwa's party. Nevertheless, the four friends were really blessed to have known a guy like him, and Jong Hyun 2nd was grateful to know someone like his hyung, who was his inspiration in getting up after a fall.

 

 

~~~~