And I Realize....

Tears And Wounds In Time

Yong Hwa got back to the doctor's clinic for his work. It didn't matter to him that he had to walk with his crutches. After all, he would only be doing paperworks. As his was not really work, he still did his best to enjoy it--and in fact, he did!

After work, he decided to visit the ward where Ji Woo was admitted. He wheeled past the nurse's station, and one of the nurse recognized him.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Yong Hwa-ssi?" the nurse greeted.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Ganhosanim?" he greeted back. "Why are you here?"

"Ah, rotation," the nurse said. "Sometimes it is like that. What brings you here?"

"I am here to visit my friend Han Ji Woo," Yong Hwa said.

"Oh, I see," the nurse said. "You may proceed to her room."

Yong Hwa thanked her and wheeled his way to Ji Woo's room. The other nurses and the doctor in the ward looked at him in awe, getting jealous at Park Shin Hye for getting such a handsome guy.

Finally, Yong Hwa reached the room, and when he opened the door, he saw Jong Hyun 2nd sitting near the head of the bed. The first thing he noticed about Ji Woo was her bloated face and bloated extremities. A nurse who finished getting her vital signs just informed the patient that her blood pressure reached 150/110 mmHg.

"Annyeonghaseyo?" Yong Hwa greeted everyone in the room.

They, including the nurse, greeted him as well. When the nurse exited the room, he wheeled close to the patient's bed.

"I did not receive the second blood transfusion," Ji Woo said. "It was discontinued because much fluid accumulated inside me, and I am swelling."

Jong Hyun told her not to talk much because she was gasping for breath when she talked. Yong Hwa also noticed that she was very weak and looked very tired. 

"Just get some rest, and I will sing for you," Yong Hwa offered.

Ji Woo nodded. Jong Hyun requested some love songs that Ji Woo loved, and Yong Hwa sang for her.

*******

Yong Hwa saw Shin Hye's tweets and sighed that she had been very busy. For him, he would support her so that she could have some consolation when her job weighed her down. And another video message he sent.

"I visited Ji Woo-noona this morning, and she looked swollen and tired. The around her eyes were swollen also," he said. "And I offered to sing a song for her and Jong Hyun-ah."

He talked about many more things about her new sick friend. After recording his vid, he sent it to Shin Hye.

"Hmmm... I think I have to paint more for her."

He wheeled to his canvass and began to retrieve his brush. He also prepared his palette and began mixing his colors. At that moment, his phone rang. When he retrieved it, the caller was his jagiya.

"Yeoboseyo?" he greeted.

"Annyeong, Jagiya," Shin Hye crooned. "You made me jealous..."

"Huh?" Yong Hwa asked. "What are you talking about?"

"Why are you telling me about Ji Woo-eonni again?" Shin Hye asked him.

But her voice was really cute as if a child having tantrums that it made Yong Hwa smile.

"Don't be jealous, Jagiya," he assured her. "Jong Hyun the second was there."

From the other line, Shin Hye laughed daintily.

"Mianhae, I am not really jealous," she told him. "I just miss you... and I have to say sorry because I never had visited you at home."

"You can ask the boys to accompany you here if you want to," Yong Hwa told her. "And you can bring Manager Noona too."

"Arasseo..."

They talked the whole night.

****************

Shin Hye was busy as usual, and Yong Hwa was just as understanding as he always had been. He continued painting for weeks, and he continued his job at the clinic. Sometimes, he could not go to his work because the doctor adviced him to stay at home and just do his work once every other week. That meant that he could not visit Ji Woo and had some chat with Jong Hyun the second as well.

The three guys visited him as usual, and they often hung out every Saturday at the basketball court where they took turns in telling stories to the children.

************

One fine Friday afternoon, Yong Hwa asked his mother if he could visit to the hospital because he had wanted to see how Ji Woo was faring. His mother drove him to the hospital, and he told her that he would just call if he needed to. When his mother dropped him off, he wheeled himself to the hospital premises.

When he was about to enter the main entrance, he saw Jong Hyun 2nd under the tree, so he wheeled himself there.

"Annyeong," Yong Hwa greeted.

Jong Hyun looked at him without a word, and Yong Hwa noticed the solemnity of his friend's face. The other chap had red and puffy eyes.

"Jong Hyun-ah, what happened?" Yong Hwa asked, his hunch telling him something was wrong.

"Ji Woo-noona, she...." Jong Hyun started.

Yong Hwa did not want to hear anymore, but he wanted to know.

"What happened?"

"She...she....broke up with me..." Jong Hyun sobbed. "Just...just today..."

Yong Hwa thought Ji Woo had died, but it turned out that she was still alive. Yong Hwa was relieved that she did not die, but he was hurt for his friend.

"Wae?" Yong Hwa asked.

Jong Hyun told him that Ji Woo had really been sick, and she had gone from bad to worse. She had congestive heart failure already, and anytime, she might succumbed, that is why, she broke up with Jong Hyun with loving words. She told him to let her go and find a woman his agemate, and someone healthy too. So it might still lead to the thing that Yong Hwa feared the most.

"She did not want me to stay by her side, and I think she just want me to move on before she dies," Jong Hyun 2nd said. "I don't know which would hurt. She letting me go while she is still alive, or staying by her side when she will die."

Yong Hwa realized it was hard indeed.

"I don't know which hurts, but right now, I know it hurts," Jong Hyun said.

He sat down on the bench and began wiping his eyes with his arm.

"I had read one quote once, I am not sure if I am quoting this right," Jong Hyun shared. "'When someone dies, that is the end of the love story of two people who had loved each other much.'"

Yong Hwa realized it was right.

"The story might have ended, but my love for her won't," Jong Hyun shared.

Yong Hwa really felt sorry for him that he beckoned the other guy to come. Jong Hyun got near and received a hug from Yong Hwa.

"Hyung.... I don't wanna be alone," he sobbed.

Yong Hwa patted his friend's back as he comforted him. After the hug, Jong Hyun wiped his face and began looking up the window to where Ji Woo's room was. In a shaky voice, he began singing.

 

 

Finally after a long long time you decided
 
To take your heart away from mine
 
You said I was a child and as you get out of my mind
 
Go on with my life to make the best of what is left
 
 
*We used to do things together
 
Share precious moments with each other
 
You promise to share your love forever
 
Now the promise so sweet has gone sour
 
 
**Now that your gone
 
Tell me where my heart will go
 
Now that your gone
 
Tell me what my life will be
 
Tell me how can I ease the sorrow
 
Now that your gone
 
Tell me where my heart will go
 
Now that your gone
 
Tell me why did I love you
 
 
Midnight is past
 
The night is over
 
Thoughts of you always fill my mind
 
Till the sun will come
 
Dawn will be over
 
I wish you were here right by my side
 
 
*We used to do things together
 
Share precious moments with each other
 
You promise to share your love forever
 
Now the promise so sweet has gone sour
 
 
**Now that your gone
 
Tell me where my heart will go
 
Now that your gone
 
Tell me what my life will be
 
Tell me how can I ease the sorrow
 
Now that your gone
 
Tell me where my heart will go
 
Now that your gone
 
Tell me why did I love you
 
 
Now that your gone
 
Tell me where my heart will go
 
Now that your gone
 
Tell me what my life will be
 
Tell me how can I ease the sorrow
 
Now that your gone
 
Tell me where my heart will go
 
Now that your gone
 
Tell me why...
 
 

As he sang, tears began falling down again in fresh batches, and from the window, he saw Ji Woo looking at him. She was still beautiful, with fair white skin, with a white dress, and a soft and gentle smile for him alone....

****

However, in Ji Woo's room, the medical team were doing their best to revive her....

 

~~~~