Chapter 3

Me, Myself and The Busan Boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 3: Life comes and attacks you when you least expect it

Word Count: 2597 words

 

Two weeks in, I got extremely comfortable with Eunha. And I also began to talk to Jungkook during Chemistry lessons as well. We’re on talking terms at the very least but I still would not boldly label him as an acquaintance of mine - there’s still a wall between us, an awkward wall that made it seem hard to be close to him. It wasn’t his fault since I was the one who came about making the wall to create a safe gap between us or should I all it a gap to prevent me from falling deeper for him. But even then, that itself made me happy. At least, I had company during classes – be it Chemistry lessons or any other lessons. It was enough for me to get through the sophomore year without feeling much like a socially awkward girl in class. That was what I initially thought but like I said, fate has it planned out to torment me since day one.

 

“Ahreum?”

 

“Oh, Nayeon Sunbae.” I greeted her, with a flabbergasted expression coating my face. It was shocking that a senior would be hanging around the sophomore classrooms. Not that it is prohibited or anything, but it’s rare for seniors to come visit the classrooms here unless under certain circumstances would they lounge around the corridors of the sophomore classroom blocks.

 

“Hey, I wanted to talk to you about the planning programme committee.” She faced me, with a gleaming smile adorning her features. “Are you free now?” The planning programme committee? Wow, when has it been since they require to address an issue individually to each member, face to face? Something about it sounds peculiar but I said nothing and followed her to a corner.

 

“Is everything alright?” I looked at her with perplexed eyes. Indeed, I was anxious if I caused a stir in the committee or anything serious enough to be called upon outside my very own classroom.

 

“Yes. It’s just that the other seniors chose you to be the overall in-charge for the upcoming event.”

 

“What? Overall in-charge? For the freshman orientation event?” My voice cracked as my mouth dropped at her words. Freshman orientation is a huge deal for a rookie programme planner like myself. It’s when all the new school recruits of this year would gather together to celebrate being officially a freshman in Inhun High.

 

“Yeah. Aren’t you excited?” Is she for real? Why would I, Jang Ahreum, be enthusiastic about this disastrous news? Being leader is never my forte and she knows it herself. I’ve always been a follower never a leader. Anyone from Programme Planning Club would know for a fact I am uncomfortable to take the lead – it was self-explanatory, in fact, it was so obvious it didn’t require a rocket scientist to know it. And to lead the whole committee too? My head was in a mess as I tried to find a way to escape from this nightmare as fear began to settle in my chest. Unsure of how I should break it to my senior, I fumbled with the ends of my school blouse with my brows scrunched together. How am I supposed to reject the offer? But I don’t want to seem rude for doing so. I can’t possibly just accept the deal when I know I can’t do the job, right? I know it in my bones if I were to go along with this, I will destroy the club inside out and I’m not planning to do so.

 

“Hey, you okay?” Her face crumples at my sour reaction. She surely was expecting me to be as exuberant as she is; jumping in the air with my fist punching up in the sky in joy. Well hell, no. If I could, I would be on my knees begging her to change retract the decision and choose someone else but I didn’t have the guts to do it. I mean they have the other 30 or so members to choose from. And out of the whole lot, they decided to pick me as the leader? Were they even in their right mind, for goodness sake? Oh, come on, I knew for a fact the seniors favoured Seulgi more. Why not choose her? She’s popular, she’s well-liked among the seniors and she’s gorgeous. I’m not half as liked by her and yet they made me an overall in charge? This doesn’t make any sense. It’s preposterous if I may add.

 

“A-are you guys sure about this? I don’t think I have what it takes to be a leader, Sunbae.”

 

“Hey, snap out of it.” she said, breaking me from my internal rambling.

 

“Sorry, it’s just… I can’t do this, Sunbae. You know I’m no leader material.” I gently break it to her, hoping she would understand my situation. Truth be told, I was never an ambitious member of The Programme Planning committee. I only joined for the sake of the school policy whereby they made it compulsory and mandatory for all students to join a club or a sports team throughout their high school year - and well, also for the extra credits to enter college too. I am an active member but never a dedicated one.

 

“Oh,” she blinked in realisation. Her lips formed a frown, probably upset that I blatantly rejected her offer without any second thoughts.

 

“It’s not that I don’t want to.” I hastily lied, trying to make her feel better. “It’s a good opportunity,” I bit my lips trying to find the right words to describe my situation. “I just don’t think I can manage...” I said, slightly breathless.

 

“That’s all? So you’re willing to do it if I become your mentor for this event?” She said with as much cheer she can muster with her hands my arm in excitement. “,” I winced under my breath. She misunderstood my words.

 

I internally sighed.

 

I can’t possibly reject her when she’s all excited about this so I decided not to say anything in response. As expected, she took my silence as a cue to go forward with the plan and left merrily, implying my silence as a sign of consent. I can’t believe this is happening! I dropped my face into the palms of my hands as I chanted “I’m doomed,” as if it was some mantra upon knowing the oncomi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter