Chapter 17

Me, Myself and The Busan Boy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 17: What It Means to Cross the Line

Word Count:

 

 

“Alright, class.” My homeroom teacher articulated, grabbing the attention of the class. “The other teachers and I have decided to change the seating arrangement.” As soon as the news broke out, the class moaned in annoyance. Some even raised their arms in protest, wanting their rights to salvage their seats. “Yah, yah! The other teachers have been complaining how everyone has been talking too much during lessons because most of you guys chose to seat next to your friends at the start of the year. So, we decided this time, we will do the arrangement this time. And this is a good time to make new friends, right?” He kept the optimism coming despite the already dampened spirits of the class.

 

Unlike the reaction of the class, I wasn’t as balk like the rest. Sadly, enough, I was relieved – at least for now I was relieved. Maybe this would be a good chance to have time apart from Eunha; especially for her to get a little breather and think things through. I still think she needed time apart from me.

 

“One more thing.” He muttered. “I’m not going to be your homeroom teacher starting off next week.”

 

My eyebrows almost popped out of my face. He’s leaving?

 

“What?!” Someone screeched at the back of the class. Soon, seas of murmurings of disagreement and discontentment from the sudden news followed suit, causing a ruckus among these four walls. “Why are you leaving?” One howled. “Are you still teaching us maths?” Another added, “So is there a substitute?” So many questions were thrown to him at once. The sound of the disapproval and displeasure of the class reverberated through your bones. Even those who were silent wore faces of confusion and slight anger in the sudden notice.

 

Is he really leaving? But he’s the only teacher who knew my struggle with Maths. He took me under his wing, making sure I had more to prepare for any Math tests and examination. Even then, I steadily got a B which to some might be mediocre. To me, a B grade is a rewarding grade especially for a subject I’ve been excruciatingly studying for. Without him, I might actually have a problem with Math, considering I'm never in good terms with Maths. 

 

“Guys, calm down. I’ve just been transferred to another class and the school have assigned a more experienced and senior teacher to be your homeroom teacher! It isn’t so bad.” Seriously? A more experience and senior teacher - from the sound of it, I knew it's going to be tragic. He contorted his lips into an awkward, toothy smile, his but his cheeks were not so compromising. I could feel his reluctant smile that has been moulded falsely. The class wasn’t handling the announcement well, anyways. But I guess it was inevitable. Everyone likes him. He is an awesome homeroom teacher and we wouldn't trade him for anyone else. “Hey, I’m still in this school. Just in a different class, that’s all.” He pouted.

 

It took a while for everyone to settle down. But we eventually did after minutes of gr. “So, this is the list of the new classroom arrangement. Please take a look at this. I'll place it on the noticeboard at the back. And make sure everyone is in their new seats by the end of the break.”

 

The class huddled at the back of the classroom, wanting a sneak peek of their new desk mates. Being one of the short ones, I couldn’t even catch a glimpse of the white sheet of paper pinned on the noticeboard. ‘Heck, the perks of being 5 feet’, I rolled my eyes sarcastically while my mind ran a few strings of curses. I huffed in defeat at the countless bodies lined up in front of me, thinking I’ll study the list when everyone else disperses during the break. And as if it was on cue, the school bell rang, indicating it was break time.

 

“Ahreum!” I heard my name being called.

 

“Ahreum!” I angled my head to the back, noticing the lengthy boy hollering at me in pure jollity. His arms elongated, as he tried to grab my attention which bothered the crowd surrounding him. “You’re my desk mate!” He exclaimed in glee. Happiness radiated from his face which infectiously plastered a smile on my face. Kim Mingyu, my desk mate?  Not bad. Well, that’s great news. His smile did not subside as he spotted a smiling 5 feet girl at the front of the classroom.

 

“That’s great!” I replied with a subtle grin decorated on my face.

 

Mingyu was a classmate of mine since freshman year. He’s a nice guy, known for his height and amazing facial features that girls go crazy over. I must say, the school’s handball team had the largest influx of fangirls because of the players’ visuals. He had the kind of face that stopped you in your tracks. I guess he must get used to that. He is a member of the handball team just like Jungkook who used to be the star player of the team but decided to quit for the programme planning team – still, it doesn’t make any sense as to why he would give up all those fame and glory for a geeky club. Rumours had it that Mingyu was once scouted for the school’s basketball team due to his towering height but rejected it as he was very much in love with handball. But hey, most importantly, he was someone I’m comfortable sitting next to so him being my desk mate, surely it isn’t a problem.

 

 

As soon as the school bell rings signifying the start of the recess period, all hell breaks loose and all students perk up. The school comes alive.The cafeteria was bustling with students – some queueing for food, some having joyous conversations with their friends in a jovial mood and some just enjoyed the hustling commotion filling the packed cafeteria, alone as they devour their food in solitude; just like me. Eunha used to accompany me during breaks but today, she lost her appetite to eat. I wasn’t sure if it was a spontaneous excuse to avoid spending the whole forty minute w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter