Dinner with In-Laws

From Hwang to Jung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

8 – Dinner with In-Laws

 

 

 

Jessica’s car screeched too loud because she was fast enough to stop her car on time. As for Krystal, if she didn’t clasped the seatbelt, she could have a limp on her forehead already.

“What the- that car.” Jessica glared at the car before her. She unfastened her seatbelt and went out of the car, ready to face the driver of the said car while Krystal tailed behind her.

“Hey, how can you drive so carelessly like that?! Do you own the road?” She scolded with her Hell-Sica mode on. “You should be careful!”

After Jessica’s protests, a man in his late-forties went out of the car and bowed guiltily.

“I’m sorry young lady, I was very irresponsible to drive like that, I hope you could understand. We’re just rushing, I’m truly sorry to disrupt your morning.” The man reasoned out while bowing repetitively. “I hope you could forgive me.”

Jessica was very sorry to shout to an elder and making him feel guilty so she also bowed. “E-Eh, I’m sorry ahjusshi, I didn’t mean to shout like that. I-I was just shock. Please be careful next time, ahjusshi.”

Before the man could respond back, a girl from the white car went out and faced the Jungs.

“You again?!” The girl pointed her finger at Jessica who sharpened her eyes at the girl while gritting her teeth.

“Tiffany Hwang, really?! Until now?!” Jessica scoffed in disbelief “I’m so done with you.” She muttered.

“Why are you even complaining, it was partly you fault! You’re driving too carefree that you haven’t seen my car passing by.” The girl, who is Tiffany, mocked as she kept the smug look on her face. “Now I doubt how you got your license.”

“Wow, says the girl who failed the driving test twice.” Jessica answered back as Tiffany just raised an eyebrow.

“Oh, how did you know that, did you have it searched on Google or you stalked me?” She asked. “That was so sweet of yours, Jessica Jung.”

“Don’t change the subject, Stiffy. Don’t you dare mock my driving skill when you still don’t have one.” Jessica smirked as she saw Tiffany glaring at her. Krystal and the man, who’s driving Tiffany’s car, could only watch them.

Krystal glanced at her watch and gasped. She went between the two bickering girls and eyes them seriously.

“Okay ding, ding, ding, time’s up, game over. Now Jess, we’re running late already. Let’s go!” Before Jessica could protest, Krystal already grabbed her wrist and dragged her inside their car. After that, the two Jungs drove off already, leaving Tiffany and the man standing at the street.

Tiffany glanced at the man at her back and bowed slowly. “I’m sorry mister Kim, I didn’t mean to show you that side of mine. I-I just got carried away by my annoyance to that girl.” She said while giving a sheepish smile. The man let out a light chuckle before his response.

“That’s nothing, young miss. As long as I’m aware about who you really are and what kind person are you. I don’t mind at all even if you show me that darkest side of yours.” The man answered with a smile. “Everyone has their own side like that. Even the kindest person that you know has it.”

Hearing his own words, he slightly frowned when he remembered somebody who is very close to his heart.

“I’m really happy that you still haven’t changed your thoughts about me after all these years.” Tiffany flashed her well-known smile that her eyes also curved with her lips. The man nodded his head lightly while returning back the smile.

“So, mister Kim, what time is it already?” Tiffany asked curiously. The man glanced at his watch and looked at Tiffany with serious face.

“I-It’s almost 8:25, young miss.” The man said.

“What?! Om my gosh, we have to go mister Kim, I can’t be late.”

After more than ten minutes, Tiffany arrived in front of Korea Kent Foreign High. Tiffany rushed inside their building, went up until the third floor. She fished her phone in her handbag and saw the time, it’s already 8:42 a.m.

“Oh sht.” She cursed in her breath as she shuffled her feet silently in front of their room. There, she stopped and knocked at the door for a few times. The door was opened by their Mathematics teacher.

“Oh, miss Hwang, it’s the first time. Why are you late in my class?” The teacher asked in concern.

“I… almost met…accident… on our way here.” She huffed while catching her breath.

“So your situation is the same as miss Jung a while ago. Good to see that you two are in a good condition, you may now take a seat.” The teacher gestured her to go in as her eyes come across Jessica’s and they both glared at each other.

“Hey Sica” Sunny called her seatmate.

“What?” Still looking at Tiffany, Jessica asked.

“She’s the one you encountered on the road, isn’t it?”

“Nice guess, Lee Soonkyu.” Jessica retorted as she received a hit on the shoulder from Sunny.

 

*****

 

“What?! You and Tiffany Hwang are engaged?” Sunny asked, or more like exclaimed, at the emotionless Jessica in front of her.

“Do I have to repeat it myself, Soonkyu? And let me correct you, we’re still not engage, I have no ring, see?” Jessica said while showing her left hand and she is right. She has no ring.

“How did that happened, unnie?” Juhyun asked curiously.

“It’s a long story and to make things short, my dad and her dad made an arrange marriage between the two of us.” Jessica answered uninterestedly. “And here we are, trapped in our own parents’ contract.”

“If that’s what happened to you, then how about Yuri unnie?” Juhyun asked in a worried tone. She watched the oldest of the three hung her head and shrugged lightly.

“I… don’t know. All I know is that I just can’t break the thing between us.”  Jessica frowned as she looked at her friends with sadness. “I can’t lose her.”

“Then, what is your plan?” Before Jessica could answer, a girl sat beside her and planted a kiss on her cheek.

“Jess omo, feed me, unnie! I didn’t knew that saying an introduction every class could be this tiring.” Jessica grunted as she looked at the girl tiredly.

“Really Jung Soojung, do you have to shout at my ear?!” She complained while staring at the pouting Jung before her.

“B-but unnie, I’m hungwy awready!” Krystal protested like a kid as she linked her arms at the older Jung.

“You really not you when you’re hungry.” Jessica said in disbelief.

“Then buy Snickers.” Juhyun suggested with a poker face. Suddenly, their whole table became very silent like dead air had just passed by.

“Did you just… drop a joke, Seo Juhyun?” Sunny asked with a tone of incredulity while the Jungs only stared at the latter.

“I’m truly sorry, I’ll try to do a better one next time.” After an awkward silence, Jessica decided to break the ice.

“So… what are we going to do now?” She asked.

“Give me some food, Sica-jjang.” Krystal pouted as she rested her head at the older Jung. The four girls aren’t aware that some pairs of eyes are watching them the whole time.

“Hey Fany unnie!” Yoona called the girl whose staring somewhere around the cafeteria. Tiffany was snapped out of her thoughts and glanced at her friend innocently.

“What is it, Yoong?” She asked unknowingly. Yoona and Sooyoung rolled their eyes at the oldest.

“You already asked that for a hundred times already!” Sooyoung nagged Tiffany who just raised an eyebrow at the two girls.

“And I guess, this time, it’s a different answer already. So, can you just answer my question already?” Tiffany requested. Yoona could just sigh before answering.

“We’re asking what happened to you this morning.” Sooyoung answered.

“Blame that reckless driver.” Tiffany said while pointing a girl far away from them.

“Speaking of, who’s that girl with Jessica?” Yoona asked as the three girls eyed Jessica’s table.

“Tsk, as if I should care about that.” Tiffany scoff as she watching the said girl linked her arms at Jessica’s arm like a koala on a tree.

“Aren’t they sweet? By the looks of it, they’re like a couple.” Hearing Sooyoung’s remarks, Tiffany’s lips smirked up. ‘Only if you knew.’ She thought.

“No, as much as I can see it, they’re like sisters to me.” Tiffany answered. “Can’t you see that annoyed expression on that brat’s face? I always do that when Leo's being weird and annoying.”

“Oh, now I just noticed. Nice observation, Fany. It seems like you know her well, huh?” Sooyoung said. “I’m not surprise after all.” She added as she watched Tiffany glares at her.

“Hi noonas, good afternoon.” The younger Hwang greeted. “What’s with the long face, Tiffany noona?” Leo asked as he saw a sulking Tiffany.

“Speaking of the which." Tiffany muttered. "Don’t mind me.” She said with a tone of irritation.

“Mind her, Leo. As much I can see it, she’s in this anti-Jessica mode again.” Sooyoung said.

“Why, what happened again?” Leo sought at the other said girl who is now eating with her friends and sister. Immediately, he forgot his first question and dropped another one. “And wait, who’s that girl, is that your sister, Yoona noona?”

“I don’t even know that girl.” Yoona answered.

“But she looks like you actually.” Leo stated. He tried to recall any information about the girl. “Oh now I know.”’

“Whoa, don’t tell me that you stalk and search that Jung every day.” Tiffany said in a disbelieved tone

“O-of course not, why would I do that?!” Leo answered a little too loud. “All I know is that girl is Krystal Jung, her younger sister.”

“You sound a sasaeng fan to me.” Tiffany mocked. As a result, she received a smack on the shoulder from Leo’s hand.

“Whoa, look at that gorgeous lady.” Yoona pointed a woman, whose in her late-thirties, walking towards Jessica’s table. “There are too many new faces today.”

Sooyoung and the two Hwangs followed Yoona’s gazed and there she was. The woman, whom Yoona is referring to, is now talking to the girls on the table with her empathetic face.

“Ah, that’s their mother, Julia Jung. She’s the wife of the CEO of Jung Corporation, Kristopher Jung.” That caught the attention of the girls at their table and looked at him in suspicion.

“Say, Leonard Hwang. Where did you get all these information, huh?” Tiffany asked. Leo just rolled his eyes at his sister.

“Duh, at the internet, of course. What do you expect from one of the richest family in South Korea, a hidden bush? Don’t you know that even our family is also found in the internet?” Leo answered like her question is the dumbest question that he’d ever heard.

“Okay Hwang siblings, stop it.” Sooyoung ordered. “The Jungs are about to come here.” That made the two Hwangs glance at Sooyoung’s gaze and saw Jessica’s mom with her sister and Jessica herself, being dragged by her mom.

“There you are, Tiffany dear!” The lady with a dark brown hair, wearing a casual outfit, said with a smile after arriving at Tiffany’s place. “It’s good to see you here.”

“O-oh, good evening Mrs. Jung.” The Hwang siblings stood up from their seats and bowed, followed by Yoona and Sooyoung who also paid respect to the latter.

“Wow, I’m happy know that you know me, but you two can call me mom from now on.” Jessica’s mother, Julia, said to them while waving her eyebrows. Only Yoona and Sooyoung were the only people who aren’t aware of what Julia was referring.

“O-okay m-mom.” Tiffany awkwardly said with a tone of bitterness. Leo looked at her in concern before glancing back at the Jungs.

“What brings you here, u-umma?” Leo, who also found it a little uneasy to say, asked bravely.

“I am here to inform you about the family dinner that we’ll be having this evening.” Julia said. “I came here so that I can also personally inform you about that.”

Yoona and Sooyoung was very shock to hear about the Hwangs and Jungs ‘family’ dinner but they kept mum and decided to throw many questions on Tiffany later.

“Thank you for informing us, umma.” Leo said as he and Tiffany bowed.

“It’s nothing, by the way, since Jessica brought her car, I want you two to have a ride with Jessica and Krystal.” Only Tiffany and Jessica dropped their jaws when they heard that.

“Okay mom, there is no way, I’m going to let that girl ride in my car.” Jessica negated. Julia frowned while hearing that. ‘Kristopher’s right, they’re really not in good terms.’

Before Julia could reply, Tiffany whispered something inaudible to the Jungs but not to her brother.

‘Tsk, as if I want to be in one car with that careless driver.’ Tiffany scoffed.

“Are you saying something, Tiffany?” Julia asked curiously.

“I-I was just saying that your daughter might be right, we can just take a ride with our driver instead.” Tiffany answered but Julia shook her head.

“I’m not accepting no for an answer, dear. I want to make it sure that the four of you will go together, safe and sound.” Julia insisted. “Besides, I want you four to meet each other deeply.”

‘Only if you know how your daughter drives, maybe you’ll doubt about that idea.’ Tiffany said into her mind. Knowing that Leo is already in favor of the idea, she doesn’t have a choice but to accept the offer.

“But mom-” Before Jessica could continue, she already halted when Julia raised her hand, gesturing her to stop.

“No ifs and no buts, Jessica Jung.” Julia bluntly ordered then she faced Krystal. “Soojungie, follow me outside.” Krystal nodded obediently.

“So, goodbye Tiffany and Leo. See you at dinnertime.” Julia said with a smile. “I’ll be going now.”

“Goodbye Mis-I mean, umma, take care.” The two Hwangs replied and watched Julia and Krystal head outside the cafeteria.

“Ah Leo, I didn’t expect to see you here.” Jessica stated. “I didn’t know that you’re a Hwang.”

“I didn’t know that you’re a Jung either, noona.” The younger Hwang responded shyly.

‘Tsk, what a big liar.’ Tiffany mocked her brother in her mind.

“Now, I pity you. And speaking of…” Jessica paused as she faced Tiffany with her glaring eyes.

“You” She pointed the older Hwang and spoke. “You should be at the parking lot by 4:30 or I’m going to leave you, understand?”

As a response, Tiffany rolled her eyes and sat at her seat. Jessica took her action as a ‘Yeah, whateve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter