Thank You and Good Night

From Hwang to Jung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

12  - Thank You and Good Night

 

 

 

“Okay, that’s a wrap, everyone.” Yuri said as she cued them to stop practicing their routines. All the girls stopped whatever they were doing and faced their leader.

“It’s already 3:45 in the afternoon, you guys can go change your clothes and leave now.” Yuri informed everyone. “You can all go ahead now, thank you for today and see you tomorrow. Take care of yourselves.” She said before everyone could bow and go.

“Thank you Yul, bye!” some of them said while some just waved their hand and bowed.

Yuri went to the locker room to change her attire into a casual one. She is now alone when she entered the room. After changing her clothes, when Yuri was fixing her things, one of the girls from a while ago tried to approach her.

“Yul, can I talk to you?” The girl asked. Yuri paused to look at the latter before going back to what she was doing. She noticed that no one was with them. Just her and the girl.

“Go ahead, I’ll listen to it, Tiffany.” She cued the girl, Tiffany, to start.

“I-I just noticed a sudden changes to your actions.” Tiffany said as she watched Yuri folded her used clothes. Yuri just kept mum as she listened to Tiffany. “Are we okay?” She asked.

Yuri stopped what she was doing and smiled to Tiffany.

“Tiffany, of course we are.” Yuri answered but Tiffany looked at her with a frown on her face. “What makes you think that we’re not?” She asked and then, she finished fixing her things.

“Well, you don’t really talk too much to me these past few days. You were always silent and stiff when I’m around.” Tiffany stated. Yuri bit her lip while hiding her face to her. “Then, when I talk to you, you always answer only a few words. That’s so… not you.” She added.

“I-I’m just tired, Tiffany.” Yuri excused.

“We’re all tired Yul, and listen to that one.” Tiffany replied. “You don’t call me Tiffany. You always call me Fany and not Tiffany.” She remarked.

“I just forgot that, F-Fany.” Yuri tried to say but Tiffany just frowned more.

“Come on, Yul. Tell it to me so that we can fix this matter.” Tiffany pleaded. “Is it about Jessica and our so-called marriage?” She asked. This time Yuri sat on the bench and sighed deeply. Tiffany still stood up and looked at her friend.

“Okay, you got me… Honestly, yes. It is.” Yuri said while hanging her head low. Tiffany was about to ask why but Yuri answered her question already.

“I can’t help it, Fany. I was just… jealous.” She said as she now looked at Tiffany with sadness in her eyes.

“You shouldn’t be, Yul. Jessica and I are-”

“I know, Fany-ah. I know that it not real but I really can’t help it.” Yuri said while smiling weakly. “The way everyone in the campus accepted the both of you immediately. Even until now, they’re still talking about you two and the engagement party.”

‘Jessica was right.’ She thought as she listened to Yuri’s rants.

“Everyone in our school is really happy when they knew about you like you two were real. They also talked about how sweet the proposal was, how your gestures were in harmony, and how you two looked at each other.” Yuri chuckled bitterly. “They really thought that you two were a real couple.”

“Yul, don’t mind what they say, they don’t have any idea about us.” Tiffany replied. “I mean, the real us.”

“That’s not the only thing that I’m worrying about, Fany.” Yuri looked at Tiffany intently. “Tell me Tiffany, are you really sure that you won’t fall for her? Can you assure me that you won’t fall for my Jessica?”

“Of course, Yul.” Tiffany answered right away but deep inside, she can’t also tell accurately.

‘Can I really…’ Tiffany mentally shook her head off. “Of course I can, you know me Yul.”

“I… actually can’t tell, Fany. I know you hate her but that’s not enough.” Yuri said. “When you’ll let her enter your life, it will be really hard to remove her out from it, I’m telling you.” She stated. Tiffany was about to laugh it off but Yuri really looks so serious about it.

“I know it sounds funny but to be honest, Jessica is really irresistible. Once you get attached to her, you’ll really seek for her presence the minute that she’ll be away from you.” Yuri said, or more like warned, her.

“Okay Yul, but seriously, I really don’t see that coming.” Tiffany responded. But Yuri’s intimidating eyes didn’t left Tiffany.

“Yes, you won’t really see it coming.” She eyed Tiffany in her eyes. “But I’m really asking you a favor. Please, try not to get attach to her.” Yuri asked a favor.

“I will.” Tiffany spoke but her mind tells her ‘I’ll try’

“That will be going to be hard. I know it’s easy to act like she’s just nothing to you but it won’t be easy to do that once you’ll get to know her.” Yuri said. “But please, Fany. Try your best not to be attached to her or you’ll fall, just eight months, Fany-ah. Promise me.”

“Don’t worry, I will Yul.” Tiffany answered with a smile. After that, Yuri stood up to hug her.

“Thanks Fany.” Yuri replied as they broke the hug. Just then, they heard a knock from the door. The two glanced at the door, Yuri smile while Tiffany just kept her blank face.

“Oh, I didn’t expect to see the two of you here.” The new comer said. She went near them with a smile.

“Yul, can we talk?” She asked. Yuri grasped her hand and smiled. ‘She sounds like Tiffany now.’ She thought bitterly.

Tiffany only watched them in silence as she felt that she’s being out of place already.

“Of course, Sica.” Yuri answered.

“Wait, uhm Tiffany.” Jessica called and faced the latter who’s bowing her head. Jessica has to shake Tiffany’s shoulder to catch the girl’s attention. “Hey, Tiffany.”

“O-oh, what is it?” Tiffany, who have just got back from her senses, asked.

“Can you go first at the parking lot without me? I’ll just talk to this girl for a while.” Jessica asked as gentle as possible. “This’ll be really quick.”

“S-sure, I-I’ll be waiting for you there.” Tiffany started to walk out of the door. “I’ll be going.” She said, and without waiting for any response from the two, she left.

“That’s weird.” Jessica remarked. “She doesn’t usually follow me, but never mind.” She sat at the bench as Yuri followed her.

“Yul,” Jessica called as Yuri wrapped her arms around Jessica’s waist and leaned her head to the former’s shoulder.

As a response, Yuri hummed lightly, informing Jessica that she’s listening.

“Are we okay?” She asked. Yuri chuckled softly while hearing those familiar words. That made Jessica confused.

“What’s funny, did I said something wrong?” She asked.

“Nothing, it’s just that you and Tiffany already asked the same exact question.” Yuri replied

“So, is there something wrong? Is it because of the scene last Saturday?” Jessica asked again.

“Everything, Sica. Almost everything isn’t right anymore. I think even our relationship isn’t right anymore.” Yuri answered with a frown.

“Don’t say that, Yul-ah.”

“It’s true. I feel like the tables have turned already.” Yuri said with a weak smile. “The thing between you and Tiffany look so right in the eyes of many. But us, it feels like everyone is against it.”

“Don’t say that. Our thing, that contracted marriage, is just nothing but a piece of joke after 8 months, just hold on, Yul. We’ll get through this.” Jessica said as she squeezed Yuri’s hand.

“But what if inside those 8 months, Tiffany fell in love with you? I know I already ask this but what if, Sica, what if that happened?” Yuri asked in a worried tone.

“Yul, that’s impossible, she-” Yuri fixed her position to face Jessica.

“Just answer my question. Please.” Jessica looked back at Yuri’s sad eyes before answering.

“Yul, listen to me. I’ll repeat my answer to you. There’s no way that Tiffany will fall in love with me, like ever.”

‘You still haven’t answered my question.’ Yuri commented inside her mind. “Why did you two sound so sure about it?” She stated.

“Because we know that it will never happen. First and foremost, she’s straight and I know the guy whom she likes. Second, she loves annoying me and bickering with me. Lastly, she hates me more that Physics and insects.” Jessica explained. “So whatever it is that you’re worrying about, just ignore it and countdown all the days with me, okay?” Yuri could only avert her eyes to the latter before responding.

“I’m just afraid, Sica. I can’t help but imagine that what if one day, you’ll choose to leave me and stay with her.” Jessica slightly smiled as she cupped Yuri’s face and made Yuri’s eyes met hers.

“You know whom I truly love, right?” She asked.

“O-of course, I know.” Yuri said while pouting.

“Good, all I want you to do now is to stick that inside your mind.” Jessica hugged her and whispered. “Don’t forget much I love you.”

“I won’t ever forget that.” Yuri hugged back and smiled. She let her eyes close and let Jessica’s warmth wrap in her body. “I love you too.”

They kept quiet with the comfortable silence in their surroundings. Just then, Jessica remembered her agenda for that afternoon.

“So are we okay now?” Jessica asked as she broke the hug to face her smiling lover.

“We’re more than okay, Sica.” Yuri replied.

“Let’s get going.” Jessica said as she stood up. “I’m sure that all of the students are gone now. And maybe that girl is already dying because of boredom of waiting for me.”

 

***

 

After Jessica and Yuri left the school’s property, they bid their farewell and Jessica went straight to the parking lot where Tiffany was waiting. As soon as Jessica saw Tiffany, she smiled and greeted the latter.

As a response, Tiffany just nodded her head in acknowledgement. ‘As expected.’

She opened the front door of the passenger’s seat before she opened the door of the driver’s seat. She looked at Tiffany who just stayed frozen to where she was standing. Tiffany was like drowned in her own thoughts.

“Hey Hwang.” She called and the latter just looked at her with her blank expression. “Let’s go now.”

After a few still minutes of travelling, Jessica noticed how silent Tiffany has become for that moment. Because knowing the girl, she knows how she wants some music to calm her mind.

But now, Tiffany was just silent and remained unmoved while looking at how the view at the window come and go. ‘Something’s not right here.’

“Hey, do you… want me to turn on the radio?” Jessica started a soft approach.

“No need, I’m okay.” Tiffany replied short, which is very peculiar. For seconds, Jessica tried to drop it first.

“Okay, as you say so.”

“Just turn off the aircon for me.” Tiffany requested, still not leaving the sight before her

“Why, for what?” Jessica asked.

“Just do it.” Tiffany answered as gentle as possible. As for Jessica, she decided to follow the girl’s simple request.

After following, from her peripheral view, Tiffany slid the window down, leaving it open to let the fresh air went inside the car. The wind blew her hair that was covering her face. Jessica also slid her window down to add more ventilation inside them.

Tiffany’s strange actions made Jessica troubled and even though it doesn’t matter to her, it still worries her.

“Any penny of your thoughts?” Jessica decided to ask and face the girl when the stoplight switched to red.

‘Mind your own business.’ Tiffany’s mind said but spoke differently. “I’m just bothered for the past few hours but don’t mind me.”

“Are you sure? You know, you can share it to me to lighten up the burden that you’re carrying.” Jessica tried to insist and fortunately, it worked.

“Here’s the thing.” Tiffany answered but was still staring outside. “Actually… I’m really not in fond of making promises. Because when I do, I just end up breaking them. I even do the opposite of what was in that promise.” Jessica tried to dig deeper to what Tiffany wanted to say.

“I feel like I was cursed not to fulfill any promises that I wanted to keep.” She added. Since Jessica was still given a few seconds before the lights went green, she answered really quick.

“Let me guess, you mean to say that you made a promise recently and you’re worried that you might end up breaking them like before, am I right?”

“Right, exactly.” Tiffany affirmed.

The lights now went green and she, again, drove the car a little slower than earlier as she replied.

“You know, some promises are really meant to be broken. Some people win and some people lose, that’s life.” Jessica commented. Her words captured Tiffany’s attention and so, she continued.

“I’ll give you an example. You see, I promised to a woman once when I was a child. That woman really means a lot to me and she’s really close into my heart. And if it wasn’t because of her, maybe I won’t be here now.” Jessica narrated while her mind flashed back somewhere in the past.

“But now, she was gone, and still, my promise to her is still hanging there and I really wanted to keep that promise even though it will be hard for me to do it.” She tapped her hand to the steering wheels to keep herself focused.

“I almost wanted to give up, but every time I remember her face and all the things that she has done to me, I always remember how she sacrificed so much for me. And so, as a payment for all the efforts and sacrifices that she has done to me, I decided to fulfill it in my own will.” Jessica smiled while looking at the road and Tiffany just looked at her seriously.

Then she tried to glance to Tiffany only to see that the latter is looking at her intently.

“Now it’s your choice if that promise is worth doing for or not.” Jessica stated. “Of course, if there’s no change or sacrifice, that promise is nothi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter