Dream

The Guardian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Myoui Mina flipped open the white kitchen shutters and stared out into the night. Through the mist, lights glowed softly in the log house across the river, and gray clouds hid a full moon over the skirt of the jungle. Her heart jumped as a flash of lighting pierced the sky. Thunder rumbled through the electric air and right through Mina's bones. Rain poured down onto the slick pavement below.

She nervously ran a pale hand through her long silky black hair. The fine hairs on the back of her neck tingled. Someone was watching her - or something - waiting for her to lower her guard or suspicious. It is unexplainable, she murmured to herself. I don't like suspense. 

Mina shook her head. Stop being paraniod, she told herself. It's the storm that's making you so tense. 

Mina poured drinking water and hurried into the living room. Another bolt of lighting brightened the room, followed by a crash of thunder. She tried her best to ignore flash from the windows. She already imagined there will be shadow or figures that standing next to the window. Maybe I should stop thinking too much. 

She placed her glass on a low round table covered with a dark red cloth. She kneeled next to the table, then glanced at the colourful arc of unlit candles and matched. Mina took one of the matches and scratched it on the table until a small flame emerged from it, lighting the candle. She lit up another candle, and another, until they all burnt brightly.

Mina closed her eyes and grasped her hands together. For peace of mind, she reminded herself, then she opened her eyes.

Another bolt of lighting brightened the room, this time Mina could see a figure standing right in front of her. 

She knew that she supposed to fear right now. The lighting from outside does not help much. Neither these candles. I really want to know what - or who - is standing in front of me right now. 

The figure walked closer to Mina only to place a book right in front of her. Mina's heart pounded as she read the cover page of the book.

 

The Thorn of the Black Rose

 

Mina placed her palm on the cover page and examined it carefully. The moment she wanted to flip the book she could hear another voice in the room.

This is not the right time.

 

Mina woke the next morning to the sun on her face, streaming in from her bedroom window. To her relief, it was a sparkling, beautiful morning. She was glad the weather is nice.

She rolled over onto her side, glanced at the bedside clock and groaned. Six o'clock, she thought. It's way too early to be up.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter