Love Birds

The Guardian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gone were the days of wintry light kissing coldly upon human, in those blustery days the great golden orb above was friendly. When uncovered by snow or sleet laden cloud it gave colour to the day, finding any glint of greenness left in the world. When spring came its brilliant rays shone not just brightly, but with a touch of warmth, a promise of the growing seasons to come.

The same sun that sent new green leaves bursting from blackened buds now turned the wands of knee high grasses golden. These spindles of plants shooting through the sidewalk cracks were enough to tell the children that summer were coming, waning along with the hours of daylight.

Mina smelled the fresh air around her and let out a genuine smile in years. She looked at the green trees standing proudly and free and healthy. She looked around in amazement. The flowers were radiant and beautiful swaying with the wind. Oh the wind, that nice breeze against her face with the wonderful perfume of roses met her nose.

She heard the faint sound of chirping above and saw birds soar across the sky. The warm gentle sun shone on her, filling her body with warmth but she took no notion of it for the beauty was too great.

This is summer.

Jeongyeon looked at her sweetheart. A gentle smile graced her lips. The pleasant wind was like a music of this new memories to her. It was like they had their own Valentine’s Day - the day she knew she fell in love with Mina. Today was their very first date and Jeongyeon did not want to miss a chance to be with Mina.

It was awesome to be out of sync from anyone else but it was great if Jeongyeon knew when or how she changed herself into human or wolf without causing trouble to anyone especially Mina. The worst part of all was that she could imagine she will transform in public and put Mina in humiliation.

Until then, she wanted to enjoy every single moment with Mina especially in the hours of daylight.

Jeongyeon dug her jeans pockets, side by side, walking closer to Mina. Her fingers tapped the wallet – Dahyun’s wallet to be exact – and Jihyo's bike key at the other side. Thanks to Sana now Jeongyeon felt like she was perfectly prepares for her first date with Mina.

 

*flashback*

Sana brought Jeongyeon to her room tailed by Jihyo. Ignoring Dahyun who was still in her deep sleep, Sana closed the door and secretly opened her Master’s cupboard, revealing Dahyun’s denim collection.

Jeongyeon knew Dahyun loves denim but not to the extent that she had her exclusive wardrobe just for the fabric. She felt blessed to watch Dahyun’s collection by herself because she knew the young girl won’t give anyone to wear hers except Sana.

The denim jackets were hanged at the left side with only one button fastened at the collar part. It was the professional way to preserve the button and the folds of the collar – as expected from Dahyun. At the other side was the diversity of jeans with different pattern of pants and threads as well as varieties of colours. She arranged it from the darkest – the elegant black, dark sapphire – at the left side to the brightest colour – pale brunette, yellowish creamy colour – at the right side but Jeongyeon knew she won’t fit wearing any jeans hung there because she knew only the dwarf Dahyun could use the jeans.

“What jean style do you have, Jeongyeon?” Sana folded her hands, looking at the jacket collection without looking at Jeongyeon and Jihyo.

“Wait here. I’ll get it,” Jeongyeon rushed out from the room. In a split second she came back with three folded jeans in her hands, placing them on the bed.

“Hhmmm~” Sana unfolded the jeans at the top and observed at the colour. She held two ends of the jean’s waist part, hanging it slowly in front of the jacket’s line-up to find the matching colour with the jeans. She heaved a deep sigh after making the second round and turned her head, looking at Jihyo and Jeongyeon.

“Jihyo,” she said. “Wake Dahyun up. Ask her to search for the best place to go around this town. She’ll figure it out. We need to make sure your first date is splendid, Jeongyeon.”

Jihyo nodded. She sat on the bed right beside Dahyun and shook her body. “Dahyun, wake up.” Jihyo shook the latter’s body. “Help us first then you can continue your sleep.”

Dahyun blinked, closed her eyes, and blinked again. “Owhh~ it’s you, Jihyo,” Dahyun’s husky voice escaped from . She sat and rubbed her knuckles onto her eyes, clearing . “How can I help you?” she asked, half asleep.

“Jeongyeon needs help.” Jihyo patted Jeongyeon’s thigh that stood behind Sana. “Jeongyeon, tell her what’s your plan.”

Jeongyeon nodded and sat on the bed. She explained how the date she wanted to happen in all honest. Dahyun nodded her head, jotting down the main point of Jeongyeon’s bucket list inside her head, opening the GPS inside her brain to search the best location for them having the private hour together. She then took her smartphone on the bedside table and marked the maps before lend her phone to Jeongyeon.

“I’ve marked the location for you. Bring this along just in case you’re lost but I know you know this town better than me,” Dahyun explained.

“Thanks, Dahyun. You’re the best,” Jeongyeon said.

“Now you’re ready to go, Jeongyeon!” Sana threw Dahyun’s jacket on the bed, overlapping with Jeongyeon’s very own jeans. “I think this suit you well.”

Dahyun stopped focusing on Jeongyeon’s details as she saw Sana took out one of her precious denim jackets from the cupboard. “Sana, since when I allow you to let others wear it?” Dahyun asked with a little bit of high voice but as expected her seniors ignored her.

“Don’t be so stinky, Dahyun,” Jihyo answered. “Jeongyeon is about to take your wallet with her, too. You don’t mind, right?” Jihyo teased the youngster, winking at Jeongyeon for the hint to ask more from Dahyun. Luckily Jeongyeon understood Jihyo’s naughty plan, smirking to the leader.

“Yeah,” Jeongyeon approved. “I plan to borrow your card, too. Remember the card that you give to Sana without any approval or sign if she wants to use it? Now where’s the card, Dahyun?”

“It’s inside my drawer,” Sana coolly responded. “Sana!” Dahyun shouted out her name. “Are you kidding? I just give it to you, not–”  

A sudden kiss plastered on her cheek.

“I know,” Sana smiled, “but only this time, Dahyun. Let’s help Jeongyeon, okay?” She kissed Dahyun’s forehead, patting her head.

“Now what’re you waiting for, Jeongyeon?” Jihyo exclaimed. “Go and change yourself.”

Jeongyeon replied them with a smile.

*end of flashback*

 

The colours of the house reminded Mina of children's toys. Every red was the exact same one, a brilliant cherry scarlet. Every blue was a bright royal hue, neither dark nor light. There were trees everywhere, shading the pathway with their every leaf.

On each side the houses were separated by yards large enough to accommodate farm animals, but it was no rural district. The homes were many times larger than even the biggest of families might need, yet in each are mostly parents with one child. To each dwelling there were more sports cars than people and kitchens that cost more than their home just a block over.

The street-lamps were the same canary yellow as the rain-slickers and the taxis. There was no pink, no grey, no orange or violet; but it was more than that. Nothing was sun-bleached, nothing scratched or chipped. The street was free of litter, the walls were spotless perfection.

The neighbourhood was built on a steep hillside with shops and restaurants, houses and apartments all piled up on top of each other with a series of interlocking alleyways and a single narrow street zigzagging all the way down to the main road below.

Mina’s face splits into a wide grin before casting her eyes staring and enjoying the neighbourhood, then returning to Jeongyeon’s smiling face. “Look at the house, Jeongyeon. It’s so beautiful,” she said, “and look at the squirrels hiding on the trees.” Mina kept on pointing the scenery in front of them.

Jeongyeon kept looking right at Mina. "I can see them anytime. I want to look at your face while I can."

Mina blushed upon hearing Jeongyeon’s smooth talk. She loved how charming Jeongyeon was towards her. Jeongyeon never failed to make Mina smiled. She was so sweet, so sweet that Mina could lost in words to even say thank you to her.

Mina kept rubbing her hand on her jeans, trying to take a chance to hold Jeongyeon’s hand. Isn’t it common for a couple to hold hand and leaned closer to their partner? They already make out last night but why didn't Mina have courage to touch Jeongyeon?

Jeongyeon took a peek at her lover. As if Jeongyeon understood Mina’s doubt, she rested her hand on Mina’s shoulder and pulled her closer before grabbed her hand.  

Mina bowed her head. She was blushing with shyness. She had that shy look young woman often wear on her face every time Jeongyeon make a move. Thank you, darling, Jeongyeon smiled. The weather was too perfect for them to take a walk. Jeongyeon felt blessed for the day and the chance given for her to be with Mina.

She thanked Jihyo in her head

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter