Second Sense

The Guardian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BANG! A loud noise sounded from the outside of the room. Slowly and reluctantly, Mina uncovered her face. She blinked, closed her eyes, and blinked again.

It sounded like it was coming from the hallway, Mina thought out loud. She awoke to soft sheets, and the morning light trickled in through the blinds. Shedding herself of the remaining glimpses of a dream, her eyes were still shut as she soaked in the warmth of her covers before letting her brown, lovely eyes saw the sun's rays.

She stretched her arms above her head on the bed and yawned. Even though she knew that she did not awoke even a simple minute in her sleep the entire night but her body felt sore, tired and exhausted. The dream was so unquestionable as if she was really live inside. She met Jeongyeon and the man – Mina heard Jeongyeon called him ‘Master’, just like how Jihyo addressed her last time – and had a fight with their main rival – the Vampire. 

It seems like the man knows Jeongyeon too, Mina assumed.

She learnt that the way to go to the meadow in her dreamland. Mina chuckled as she brought to mind Jeongyeon’s reaction when she caught her secretly grabbed her hands while she was asleep.

When Jeongyeon stopped talking Mina knew there was a problem. Despite the fact that Mina only knew her for only half a year but Mina felt like she have known her over twenty years. Jeongyeon is not capable of silence unless her brain is in complete overload – or if she is caught red-handed.

For example? Last night.

Mina rolled her body to the side. She saw Jeongyeon slept soundlessly at her side. Her milky blonde hair covered almost half of her face but Mina knew she was in deep sleep. She must be very tired, Mina thought.

Even though they were fought ‘spiritually’ in the meadow, however, she could feel that the battle was intense and tiring too. It was insane to have a fight with a Vampire, but two? Three? Four? Mina gasped with awe for every swift Jeongyeon made to tackle the rival. She was young and strong after all.

Two hundred plus years old is not young, you silly, Mina chuckled with her thought.

Mina expected it to be one on one, over in a bloody flash and then they will go back to their reality but then things don't go their way, not at all. The number increased until she lost the count of the round they faced before she passed out.

She remembered how shocked she was when she saw Jeongyeon flooded with blood on her stomach. She stumbled as she walked approaching Mina, she breathed through , her forehead formed sweat and her eyes almost rolled back to her head. Jeongyeon struggled to stand and eventually lost her balance and fall on her. Mina immediately caught her in her hand.

Mina wrapped an arm around Jeongyeon’s shoulders and pulled her close, gently her hair. Jeongyeon breathed more slowly, her body melting into Mina’s as every muscle lost its tension to the air. Mina didn’t realize her eyes dripped with tears.

In that moment Mina saw a gesture of Vampire moved forward go for them. He was getting closer as the speed of his move increased along with his step, he roared with indignant. It was her first time in the dreamland and she could not see any gap to go out. There is no exit sign, there is nowhere to run.  She closed her eyes, imagining that her life will end up soon in the hand of unheard name in the dream.

In spite of this, Mina didn’t know her healing magic worked as she hugged Jeongyeon.

A sudden move from her hero jolted Mina. She stood up and made a charge, so much force in every blow. Jeongyeon rained blows onto the Vampire as if she meant to smash him into the very earth and the Vampire did the same. Each didn't just want the other dead, they wanted him smashed, obliterated, nothing left to bury.

Mina knew she would faint when her eyes gave up. The scene in front of her was getting faded. As she tried to stand up, the vision almost completely in vintage mode. She was scared, terribly scared. She even though that she was going to die even though she knew Jeongyeon was the one who fought with the enemies.

She tried to call up Jeongyeon’s name but she can’t. It felt like had been shut by tons of rocks and concrete. It sealed, stuck down. Mina made her move and walked close to Jeongyeon. Every single step was too heavy for her as if the gravity in the meadow wants to push her to the ground.

She gathered her energy and gave her last chance. She needs to call Jeongyeon. She was afraid. She was afraid the death was getting closer. She really hoped for Jeongyeon to save her.

“Jeongyeon…”

Jeongyeon immediately turned her head and caught Mina before her back touched the ground. “Mina!” Jeongyeon looked at her with her worried eyes, the warmth stare that Mina knew it was sincerely from her heart. Mina missed the gaze so much. How she wished she have courage to stare into her eyes without blinking but she knew she was too timid to dare herself. With those eyes of hers, Mina knew she was safe in her arms.

Thank you, Jeongyeon.

Mina closed her eyes as her eyes gave in.

 

Mina flipped Jeongyeon’s hair for better view of her partner. She smiled. She did not why. Every time she sees Jeongyeon, it feels like there is a pair of wing attached on her heart and it makes her feel happy, feel joyful.

Happy is what Mina felt when Jeongyeon walked in the door, when she knew for the rest of the life she will always be next to Jeongyeon. Just being near her lighted her up inside, gives her a serenity she can never know without her being close. It was like the breaths she took aren't full when Jeongyeon away, like the smiles she smiled was incomplete somehow.

Just lying next to her was Mina’s favourite place in the world.

It was Jeongyeon that creates the warmth in her soul, she that filled her full of love and kept the fire burning in her eyes.

If that isn't happiness then Mina didn’t knew what is, so she will let it be her own definition, the one she kept with her always.

 

Mina yawned, the quite lure into sleepiness. Each limb became heavy and her heart slowed to a more peaceful beat, the comfort of bed calls. She felt the blackness came over her. But somehow it was making her eyes felt heavier and heavier. She finally closed her eyes, sending her into a dreamless sleep.

It was only few minutes passed when the light appeared in front of her. She could feel that the light was too bright – it could penetrate through her eyelids and woke her up. Her eyes were too lazy to open up. She ignored the mystery light in front of her and kept on to her sleep.

 

A few hours passed the sunrise when Mina woke up. She was alone in the room. There was no one around including Jeongyeon. She felt strange. During weekends, she was one of the humankind who loved to sleep until midday. If someone asked her ‘Why are you waking up late?’ definitely Mina will answer, ‘What? It’s only nine o’clock.’

Her stomach growled. Now Mina understood why. The digestive system was the one who woke her. Now it was silent. But Mina knew it will growl again and again, the sound will change from the sound of a crumpled paper to the roar of a tiger until she filled it. She remembered how her tummy humiliated her when it thundered in one of the paper of public examination during high school.  The hall was too silent you could have heard a pin drop when it happened. Everyone turned their head and stared at her. For a week her classmates , keeping on reminded her to feed on her ‘kid’ first before entered the hall.

Mina turned herself on the bed only to find a wolf on the bed. She smiled. She still thought it was the ‘dog’ owned by Jeongyeon. It slept soundlessly on the mattress, the head lie exactly on the pillow.

Where have you been, Woof? Mina caressed its head. I almost forgot about you.

The dog did not budge a little. Mina smiled with malevolent. Sudden prank stopped by inside her head. She thought of mischievous idea to wake it.

She got up slowly to minimize the pressure of the mattress on her side. Little by little she walked to the side of the dog with her tip top – perfectly balanced since she learnt ballerina at early stage of her life. Gently she placed her hands in between its front legs before lifted it up from the bed.

Jeongyeon? She did not aware what was going on around her. She was very tired because of the battle last night. It had been a long time since she practiced in the meadow – or dreamland as Mina called the place. She even forgot what the way to the meadow was. She secretly grabbed Mina’s hand in her sleep because she was too excited to see Mina lie beside her.

But owh well. At least Jeongyeon confirmed that Mina was her Master.

Owhh! You’re too heavy, Woof, Mina thought. At a snail’s pace Mina walked out from the room, cradling Jeongyeon on her shoulder. In the hallway she met Sana and Dahyun in the dining room, preparing themselves before they went into the kitchen. Sana was tying up her long hair while Dahyun stood behind her, tying up her apron into a ribbon knot.

“Good morning,” Mina greeted them.

“Owh! Good morning, Mina,” Sana mumbled, greeting Mina with her smile eyes. She clamped her rubber hair on her lips. Her hands were busily neat her hair. She took the rubber band from her lips, twisted it twice and tied her hair into a ponytail. “You wake up very early,” she continued with much clearer voice.

Dahyun appeared from Sana’s back and smiled. “Good morning Mina. Good morning to you too, Jeongyeon.”

Jeongyeon? Mina turned her head behind as she thought that the girl might be standing behind her but to no avail. No one else stood in the hallway besides herself.

In the midst of her thought, Mina overheard the conversation between Sana and Dahyun at her back. “How about we make pasta this time?” Sana suggested. “The sauce should be doubled since we’re full house today,” she added.

Mina turned her head and saw Dahyun nodded with a bright smile on her face. “Great idea, Sana. Do you know how to make it?” she asked.

Sana smiled sheepishly before answered, “Actually no, Dahyun, but–”

Dahyun groaned once hearing the answer.

“–but I can assure you that the recipe I got this time got lots of stars and praises from the viewers.” Sana placed her finger on Dahyun’s lips and continued before Dahyun could speak up her frustration.

“Alright. Alright.” Dahyun gave up. “You win.” Dahyun turned her focus and looked at Mina. “You hear that right, Mina. We’ll going to have pasta this afternoon or maybe tonight too. Just pray to God that we’re not going to burn the kitchen,” Dahyun giggled, only to receive a smack on her back.

“Don’t listen to those last words, Mina. We should have confidence in our life, don’t you think?” Sana pulled the back of Dahyun’s shirt and brought her into the kitchen. “Let’s go, Dahyun! We have lots of work to do.”

“Remember, Mina. Pray for us,” Dahyun turned her head and clamped her hands, a common gesture as she prayed every time when she was about to enter the kitchen with Sana.

“Stop being silly, Dahyun. Trust me,” Sana said and the rest of her words sounded like mumbling for Mina. Her voice sank due to the sound of the pouring water from the sink and the chopping of onions on the cutting board.

Mina smiled when looking at Sana and Dahyun, patting on Jeongyeon’s back lightly. She imagined and hoped that one day she could be close together with Jeongyeon without any crow or cicada sound mentally played in her head because of the awkwardness.

It could be because we’re new to each other, Mina thought, or maybe because I’m too timid when she’s around.

Mina brought Jeongyeon into the bathroom, slowly placing her on the marble cabinet. She went to the door and closed the door with silence, afraid that she might awoke Jeongyeon. She walked to the dresser right next to the door and took out a towel.

 

Jeongyeon opened her eyes leisurely and unwillingly. The cold under her feet and tummy was the reason why she was awoke. She turned her body, hoping that she could find her blanket and wrapped it around her body but she only met herself from the reflection of the mirror.

Her eyes now were totally opened. From the mirror she could see Mina kneeled at the front of the Jacuzzi tub. She was about to pour the shower bath into the tub that almost half-filled with water.

Owhh my~

Even though Mina was backing her, Jeongyeon could not resist how beautiful she was, sleek with petite Asian frame. Her new black shoulder-length haircut suited her, and her figure was in great shape too even though it was hide behind the towel. Her milky skin was so fair and so soft. Almost as soft as the cotton candy at the amusement park. Almost as delicate as Mina’s ballerina performance in dance academy when Jeongyeon followed her to Japan. And as alive as her heart to Mina.

Mina turned her back and walked approaching Jeongyeon. “Hey, Woof. You’re awake?” she asked.

What? She called me ‘Woof? Jeongyeon immediately turned her head and faced the mirror, saw her own reflection once again and still in disbelief. Jeongyeon could not believe her eyes. She was in wolf formed. What’s happening? I thought my curse is over.

Before Jeongyeon could engulf everything that happened to her, Mina lifted her up from the cabinet and was about to bring her to the Jacuzzi tub.

“Stop, Mina!” Jeongyeon shouted mentally, struggling herself to let go from Mina.

“Calm down, Woof. I just want to take a bath with you,” Mina said happily as she took a huge step and stood on the Jacuzzi tub. “Are you ready, Woof?” Mina lifted Jeongyeon, letting them to face each other.

“Stop it, Mina. It’s me, Jeongyeon,” This time Jeongyeon barked and stared at Mina with desperation. “It’s me, Mina. It’s me.” Jeongyeon repeatedly said inside her head.

Mina could not believe what she heard. She could not believe what she saw. She heard Jeongyeon’s voice over and over again as she was about to throw her into the Jacuzzi tub. She finally snapped o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter