Under the Rain

The Guardian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Okay, it’s a real fight, Mina decided. Just use any fighting methods that Jeongyeon teach you in the meadow.

Mina stamped down one of the men that hold her with her heel, used her hands in a scissors move to push his arms apart, stepped out, swept his ankle and took his down.

Wham! The man hit the floor, shrieking in pain.

The other man stood still, shocking with the strength Mina owned. Without wasting time, Mina delivered a powerful punch to her opponent’s solar plexus. She quickly followed it with a kick right on his temple, finishing it all. Two simple strikes and the dude folded.

 Mina was clearly tiring. A wicked kick to the temple seemed to throw her. After that Mina’s posture was off, she was struggling to lean her back against the wall.

Jimin could tell Mina was struggling just to stand still in front of him.

Jimin smirked as he approached Mina with a slow pace, playing the end of the blade with his palm.

Run! A voice inside Mina’s head shrieked, and she went into motion, from the alleyway to the sidewalk of the building. Luckily the area was full of public but does she really lucky?

She heard Jimin flailing along behind her.

She stopped as another man emerged on the path in front of her. She turned frantically to get away, but the one behind her was less than a yard away. Then she realized that there were other pairs of eyes all around her.

She was surrounded.

She could feel as if they were staying in different world even though there were people passing by them.

The men were getting closer.

And closer.

Then Mina ran, as fast as she could, towards the shopping mall. That was the best place to hide from them because of the installation of CCTV almost every corner of the building.

But do they mind about it?

Damn! I could not think straight! Her heart was pounding, her leg muscles burning and there was a sharp ache in her side. The men pursued, but she pushed herself to go closer, faster. She’s almost reached the entrance of the shopping mall when she slammed into something – or someone.

Strong arms closed around her, and a hand clamped over . She struggled to scream.

Then, the men gathered right in front of her.

A voice mumbling a stream of words – words Mina couldn’t understand. She saw the glowing red eyes of the men retreat to the street. In a moment they were gone, walking to the alleyway.

“Mina,” the voice said.

Chaeyoung’s voice, Mina realized. She turned to see her friend.

She wanted to sink to the ground in relief. Yet she forced herself to remain standing, uncertain whether she could trust anyone – even Chaeyoung.

“Are you okay, Mina?”

Mina nodded mutely.

Chaeyoung removed her hand from Mina’s mouth, motioning for her to lean on her. She tilted her head, listening.

“How do you get here?” Mina asked.

“Say it again?” Chaeyoung questioned, trying to buy times and dig out any possible excuse. What kind of explanations that is possible to be accepted by Mina? Chaeyoung is facing Mina right now. Mina got lots of sense. She will realize it soon.

No. She is going to realize it in any seconds.

“How did you know I was out here?” Mina asked in a shaky voice.

“I can’t explain now,” Chaeyoung said, taking her hand, leading to her car. “But we have to get away, before–”

“You’re part of them, right?” Mina cut in, facing Chaeyoung.

That was when Chaeyoung became aware of Mina’s expressions. There was no trace of fear, not in her eyes or in track marks on her reddening face. Her eyes were narrowed, rigid, cold, hard.

In that moment Chaeyoung knew Mina was already far away.

In that moment Chaeyoung knew Mina already thought of her as her enemy right now.

Chaeyoung drew in a deep breath, escaping Mina’s stare by bowing her head. She could not dare to see Mina at all. Mina’s burning hard stare would last as long as her stand on the pavement.

She is waiting for Chaeyoung’s reply.

Even though she knew it is pointless.

Because Mina knew it already.

Mina knew the reason why Chaeyoung is in silence.

It became harder for Mina to accept the truth that throughout her whole life she lived with person who is hunting for her. The person who she trusts the most is the one who wants her to be killed.

Whether Chaeyoung knew it for a long time or just recently, Mina knew that getting around with her is not the smartest move especially when she was alone.

“Let go of me!” Mina slammed her hand from Chaeyoung. “After all this time, Chaeyoung, I–”

“Let me explain first, Mi–”

“What else do you want to say?” Mina rose up her voice. “By telling me that you brought me here just to see me to be sacrificed? Is that what you want?”

“You can say whatever you want, Mina, but I want to warn you. You’re in terrible danger,” Chaeyoung’s voice was too quiet that Mina had to strain to hear her.

But it does not matter for Mina anymore.

“Yeah, Chaeyoung,” Mina rolled up her eyes. “As if I didn’t see that just now.”

“I’m trying to protect you, Mina!” Chaeyoung’s stern voice came out as she grabbed Mina’s hands. “There’s a good chance they’ll come after you. You’re in trouble and you have to leave. You have no idea what these people can do.”

“Well, Chaeyoung,” Mina snatched her hands from Chaeyoung. “If you so called yourself trying to protect me, then you can stop now because you know why? I don’t need it. I don’t need it at all, Chaeyoung.”

Right

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter