Anguish

The Guardian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeongyeon reached for her phone in her black loose jeans and tried to make a call. ‘Gosh! Why now?’ she cursed herself inside. Her battery phone depleted even before Jeongyeon could unlock her phone.

She stared at Mina who is still lying soundlessly on her lap. Jeongyeon was about to bring Mina to the convenience shop nearby when she suddenly lose her balance and collapsed in her hand. ‘Why does she alone in the middle of night?’ Jeongyeon monologue.

 

Jeongyeon was about to light her cigarette that she bought from the bar nearby when she heard high-pitched scream not far from her place. Most of the time she did not mind with the noise – besides it was the area of ion – they just ask for attention especially among amateur es and pole dancers – to attract drunk men visiting the bar.

But when she heard harsh shout – she recognized it immediately it was a man voice – she knew something was not right. Jeongyeon immediately ran to the scene and saw the girl was in trouble. ‘I wish I could punch them harder just now.’ she rewind the fighting scene as she looked at Mina. She took off her green, padded coat and used it to cover Mina as her lips were getting pale.

She looked at her watch – exactly strike 12 – and she smiled. ‘Now is my night!’ she smirked. Immediately Jeongyeon pulled the coat hoodie to cover Mina’s head and hug her closer as the weather is getting chilling. She lifted Mina easily as if she was as light as the feather and walked away from the area, leaving those unconscious men behind.

 

Nayeon was about to switch on the television when she heard loud bang on the door.

“Nayeon, open the door!” Jeongyeon shouted from the outside.

“Since when are you using the door to enter the house?” Nayeon answered without moving an inch from the sofa.

“I’ll explain later. Please open the door, Nayeon.” Jeongyeon replied.

Nayeon’s eyes widened as she detected unfamiliar scent from the door. ‘What is Jeongyeon bringing this time?’ Nayeon turned her head to the door.

“Nayeon, open the door, will you?” Jeongyeon thumped the door louder.

“Okay, wait up,” Nayeon rose from her sofa and rushed to the door. She opened the door and to her amazement, Nayeon saw Jeongyeon lifted a stranger for her in her hands. There was no reasonable question to Jeongyeon as she let Jeongyeon entered the house without hesitation.

“Who is she? Where did you found her?” Nayeon followed Jeongyeon from behind as she brought Mina to her bed. Nayeon analysed the scent from both Jeongyeon and Mina and as long as she remember, there was never in her history that she ever met Mina – or smelt her before. Most of the time, in the hour like this, Jeongyeon will bring back her regular cigarette and whisky odour – which she already used to it – and it is not the hour for Jeongyeon to go back home either.

“I’ll explain later. Nayeon, could you please bring me a basin of warm water and towel?” Jeongyeon commanded without looking at her eyes. Nayeon nodded without hesitation. She immediately the water heater in the kitchen while looked for towel in the closet.

Jeongyeon took off her padded jacket on Mina and placed it on the floor. As Jeongyeon tried to remove her shirt, blood stain was rubbed on her arm and Jeongyeon immediately realized that Mina might be injured. She scanned every part of Mina’s body part until she noted that her right long sleeve and right jeans were tear off. Jeongyeon examined the scale of the injury – the bruises was long from her elbow to waist for her hand whilst for her leg, her knee was slightly bruised – but luckily the bruises were not too deep.

A moment later, Nayeon came back with a basin filled with warm water and two towels. Jeongyeon lip-synched ‘thank you’ to Nayeon as she tried to clean up Mina’s injury. Nayeon went and stood on the other side of the bed, trying her best to help Jeongyeon.

 

Jeongyeon hang out on the balcony and sat on a hazelnut coloured Adirondack chair, lighting her regular cigarette. For Jeongyeon, it is the best way for her to enjoy her night especially when she was boring. It is too early for her to get back home considering the weather of the night was excellent for her to walk around.

She stared at her cigarette blankly, letting the unlit flame eat up the cigarette slowly. As the time passed by, she immersed to her own world, flashing back the incident that happened to be the starter of her worst nightmare.

 

Jeongyeon was half-awake when she was dragged to the Hall of Guardian. Falling down from cliff caused her back suffered severe pain, but the pain could not compared to how hurt her heart was as she lost Jung Nam right in front of her eyes.

Jeongyeon was thrown to the middle of the Hall, witnessed by the both Jeongyeon’s and Jung Nam’s parents. As Jeongyeon completely transformed herself to human, Jung Nam’s father stood up from his chair and kicked Jeongyeon right on her stomach, causing Jeongyeon to kneel in front of him and spilt blood on the floo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter