Chapter Three

On and On and On
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At first, I thought this was some kind of dream. My heart started beating ten times faster and my palms began to sweat. It can't be him, I thought. Then came the butterflies in my stomach.

I looked him up and down and immediately forgot what I was going to say. Luckily, I didn't have the same effect on him because it was him who broke the awkward silence I had created. "Wow, it's been forever!" He said in amazement.

I let out a weird dry laugh that sounded very unattractive, glancing around our small seat. "I know. It's been... too long." Every time I was around him, I sounded all flustered and nervous.

"What's it been, two years?" He chuckled.

"Three and a half, but who's counting." I waved the thought away with my hand and made another weird 'pfft' sound. "Uh, so what are you doing here? I mean, I thought you were... out of state." I asked, trying my best to sound more casual.

"Yeah, I was. But my parents decided Busan wasn't a good place for us to stay. Plus, my grandma was just diagnosed with cancer, so my dad wanted to come back and stay with her." He pursed his lips when he finished talking and held a poker face.

"Aw, that's sweet," I said. I was about to finish my talking right then, but then the news of his grandmother's cancer dawned on me. "Oh! I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. Oh man, I feel really bad now."

He chuckled. See, his laugh didn't sound as retarded as mine. "It's okay. I didn't know her for long, but my dad's pretty shaken up." I frowned because, honestly, I had no idea what to say next. Then, he cleared his throat, "So, where are you coming from?"

Suddenly my mind went blank. I was about to ask what he meant, but then I glanced around my surroundings and remembered I was on a bus from Lisa's house. "Oh, uh, from a friend's house. We had dinner over there tonight."

He squinted his eyes. He looked as if he were in thought. "Jennie? Doesn't she live closer to you? Not down this way? Or did she move?"

His rambling caused a huge smile to form on my face. "Not Jennie's house. Although she was there with us. This is a new girl from school."

"Ah, a wild 'new to school' dinner party, huh?" He cracked a grin, signaling he was obviously joking around.

"Oh, sure. Wild, indeed!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter