Headaches and Hindrances

My Light in the Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She had hoped school could be hectic enough to make her forget about her recent mental instability, but it seemed there was no running from the feeling of unease creeping through her body. Little did she know, things were about to get a whole lot more complicated.

 

 

The sunlight hitting the bubbles reflected a shimmery gleam in the sky as Jessica lowered the witches down behind the large trees near the school gate. 

 

As the bubbles of water started to float to the ground slowly, Sooyoung stared down at a pair of big brown eyes staring back. Eyes that weren’t supposed to be looking right at her. Human eyes. Looking closer, her eyes widened when she realised who it was. Taeyeon. Judging by the mass of clueless students bustling around her, Sooyoung knew the invisibility spell definitely hadn’t worn off somehow. How could Taeyeon see them?

 

Once Taeyeon started squinting, without much of a shocked reaction upon seeing random floating girls, Sooyoung realised Taeyeon couldn’t actually see them, but probably thought she saw something or felt like something was there.

 

It’s still odd that she had an inkling that something was off exactly where we are though, Sooyoung thought. No one had ever been able to sense them while they were cloaked.

 

Jumping onto the ground as the bubbles neared the ground, the witches landed safely. Jessica waved her hand lazily and the water scattered just centimetres above the grass along the pathway at the base of the trees, slowly draining into the soil so as to prevent any from flowing onto the pavement and raising suspicions.

 

'Guys stop,' Sooyoung reached a hand to yank Sunny back when she tried to walk out from the cover of the trees.

 

'Why? The spell just wore off, didn't you feel it?' Jessica frowned slightly.

 

'I know, but Taeyeon was out there staring right at us in the sky. She couldn't see us exactly but she saw something, I'm positive. She looked confused, like she was trying to solve a puzzle. We can't risk popping out right from under where she thought she saw something. We cleared their memories but they'll still find us familiar. Taeyeon will know something's not right, we have to stay out of sight for a bit until the girls go away.'

 

Seohyun and Tiffany shared a nervous look. They knew Taeyeon was already suspicious. Tiffany should've told Sooyoung everything. All her encounters with Taeyeon after the memory wipe, the missed calls. She knew she should've, but she was too afraid to. Too afraid that Sooyoung might change her mind and pull the girls out of college. No, Tiffany refused to let it happen. She could manage the situation without involving the coven.

 

Not a minute later, a loud voice crackled through the speakers all over campus, giving the last call for student registrations. Sooyoung peeked out from behind the trees.

 

‘Coast is clear, let’s go.’

 

 

‘That took for-ev-er,’ Yoona whined and linked her arm with Hyoyeon’s as the girls walked out of the administration building and towards the school hall across the school yard.

 

‘Tell me about it. That lady was basically giving us a full background check! I bet it’s just because we’re international students. Did you see how quick the other lines were? This school is racist, I swear. Tsk,’ Hyoyeon huffed.

 

‘It’s not racism if the whole town’s population is a jumble of races, Hyo. Multi-racial, remember? There are tons of local Koreans around here too. I’m sure she was just following orders to be thorough, guys. The important thing is we’re done with the toughest part of the day: registration. It’s official now kids, we’re in college!’ Taeyeon grinned widely and the others immediately followed suit, gripping onto one another’s hands and squealing in excitement.

 

‘Okay, this is all great, and I’m really starting to feel the ‘college spirit’ and all,’ Yuri said in mock sarcasm, ‘but I need coffee. Stat.’

 

Taeyeon chuckled, ‘I’m in. Man, I could really do with some caffeine right now.’

 

‘It’s not caffeine if you get it decaf, Taeng.’ Yuri rolled her eyes jokingly.

 

‘Who says I’m getting decaf?’ Taeyeon held a hand on her foreh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter