Taeyeon Could Neglect Taeyeon

My Light in the Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This was how the four girls became a tight-knit family, but they’d soon realise that all families have their own problems to face together.

 

 

- Flashback continues -

 

It wasn't long before two years flew past and it was time for Taeyeon to graduate. The girls were devastated at the thought that their group would be torn apart this way. They knew Taeyeon would have to apply for college after this, and might be too busy to meet up with them since college schedules were much different from high school schedules. Yoona, especially, found herself clinging to Taeyeon more tightly than ever during the last few months of that school year. Growing up without a mother due to her parents’ early divorce, Yoona grew exceptionally attached to Taeyeon as her make-shift mom, and couldn’t bear to let her go. Taeyeon knew their fears and decided to solve the problem once and for all.

 

'Girls, can you guys come over for a sleepover tonight? We can watch some movies and talk. I have something to tell you guys.'

 

'No! Don't leave us!' Yoona immediately burst out, hugging Taeyeon tightly and burying her head in Taeyeon's sweater, shaking her head violently in protest. She thought Taeyeon was going to tell them about her plans for college. Well, she wasn't wrong, but it certainly wasn't what she was thinking. Yuri and Hyoyeon were also downcast, trying hard to maintain their composure. The girls had all discussed their desire to go to college abroad, Taeyeon included, so they knew she would definitely apply overseas.

 

Taeyeon could only smile with a soft sigh and patted Yoona's head gently.

 

'It's okay guys, just come tonight. I'll explain everything. It's not what you think.'

 

Riiinnng!!

 

The abrupt shrill ring of the school bell caused Yoona to jump. Taeyeon pulled her into a tighter hold and rubbed her arm soothingly.

 

Taeyeon walked Yoona to her Geography class, not wanting to leave her alone when she was so clearly upset. Yuri and Hyoyeon had left earlier to get to their Mathematics class, while Taeyeon ran late to her History lesson from consoling Yoona.

 

'I'm so sorry I'm late Miss Cho,' Taeyeon gave a 90 degree bow as she entered the classroom.

 

'See me after class Taeyeon, take your seat for now.'

 

'Yes Miss Cho...' Taeyeon sighed and went to sit down, paying full attention throughout the lesson as usual to show her sincerity in apologising. When the bell signalled for the end of class, her classmates started to pack their bags, many of them placing a comforting hand or giving Taeyeon a look of sympathy and saying goodbye before leaving.

 

'So Taeyeon, why were you late to my class?' Miss Cho asked without making eye contact.

 

'I was comforting a friend, she was upset. I know it's not an excuse, I'm really sorry Miss Cho. This is my last lesson for the day so I'll head to detention straightaway.'

 

'Wait, Taeyeon,' Miss Cho finally turned to face Taeyeon, 'I've taught you for years. I know you’re not the kind of student to deliberately run late or miss lessons. I believe you have a valid reason, so don’t tell any of your classmates but I’ll spare you from detention this one time.’

 

Taeyeon was caught speechless and only managed to blurt out a slur of ‘thank you’s, bowing repeatedly to her History teacher in full sincerity.

 

‘That’s all right sweetheart. Just don’t let it happen again, okay?’

 

‘I promise,’ Taeyeon replied immediately, giving an affirmative nod.

 

‘Good. Get notes from your classmates about the portion you missed today and self-learn it as punishment for your tardiness. Now, go home and get some rest first before you start work.’

 

Miss Cho was an odd character, Taeyeon figured. She was harsh yet caring, serious yet cracked unbelievably hysterical historical jokes in class.

 

‘Yes Miss Cho. Thank you so much again for letting me off detention. I promise I’ll keep better watch of the time in the future.’

 

‘Mm,’ Miss Cho nodded quickly and waved Taeyeon away.

 

Loud, boisterous conversations bombarded the hallway as Taeyeon daintily made her way towards the cafeteria to grab an iced caramel macchiato as company for her long walk home. Taeyeon didn't live near enough that she could save money on transport fees to and from school. Usually, she would take the public bus, but on days like that where she felt burdened with an overload of emotions, she walked home to clear her head. 

 

Taeyeon was formulating the speech she would give to the little ones later during the sleepover when she bumped into something rock hard.

 

'Ow...' Taeyeon muttered as she rubbed her forehead which had collided with the black lamp post looming over her.

 

The beautifully designed pastel flyer pasted on the lamp post immediately caught her eye. As Taeyeon took a closer look, she realised it was an advertisement for a university in Ubi Falls, Calorana.

 

'What perfect timing,' she whispered in disbelief, 'seems almost like a sign.'

 

She hadn't ever seen a flyer promoting Ubi University before that day, and found it slightly amazing that this flyer had popped up right when she was stressing out about h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter