Don't Speak British

Kang&Bae Life

This chap is boring im tellin ya. It's full of JoyRi's 'pabebe' pace. Lol

-

 

“Is Joy unnie with you?”

“No.” Seulgi replied to the ecstatic Yerim.

The youngest of the Bae siblings was dejected. “She told me she’ll come with you.”

“Why are you so attached with that Satan lately?”

“She’s fun to be with, that’s all.”

 

Yerim bid goodbye to Seulgi while the latter only stared at Yerim’s retreating back with pity. She took a mental note to talk with her assistant once she meets Joy again.

Seulgi had finished two meetings by the half of her work-day and she haven’t seen Joohyun since the last two nights. It has been a hectic and conflicted schedule for both of them. However, that didn’t stop Seulgi from sending annoying mushy texts to her girlfriend—which the latter hates so much. Joohyun sure does like skinship but she was always awkward and shy with verbal expressions.

 

“Stop.”

“You love it.”

“I do but don’t overdo it.”

“Bunny, I miss you.”

“Don’t call me Bunny and I’ll say I miss you too.”

“You already did. Sly Bae. You’re low-key liking my endearments for you.”

“Nu-uh.”

Seulgi swiveled her executive chair and changed the never-ending argument. “When will you come back?”

“Tomorrow. I’ve told you already before I went off to Japan.”

“My flat is boring without you.”

“Because you have no one to gawk at.”

“Wow.” Seulgi replied –amused. “The confidence level of a Bae Joohyun.”

“Have you been seeing another girl with that comment of yours?”

“Yea. Old women in their forties. Seriously Bae, after all I’ve done for you you’re still gonna doubt my love.”

“Aww. Don’t get all too dramatic on me Kang ‘cause I’ve someone to spy on you there.” Joohyu said. “This is my last meeting for the day. Love you bear! Ciao!”

 

*

 

Yerim accidentally bumps on Joy and boy—she’s the happiest Bae Yerim amongst all the Bae Yerims in the world.

 

“SOOYOUNGIE!”

The said girl was taken aback. “Aren’t you too energetic for this lazy afternoon Yerim?

Yerim was stunned for a moment. “I never thought you can speak English.”

“That was so straight forward Bae, I don’t know if I should feel offended.” Joy chukled.

As if she didn’t hear Joy, Yerim continues to say, “And with a British accent.”

“Oh—I’m sorry. The investors I’ve just had a meeting with were from Europe so it kind of stuck with me.”

“You’re cool.” Yerim got flustered—that wasn’t supposed to come out of . “I mean—“

“Thanks.” Joy grinned.

“Y-Yeah…” Yerim trailed off with her eyes fixated on the ground while she unconsciously plays with her fingers. “Uh, w-would you like t-to—“

“JOY!”

 

The voice has another European accent that wasn’t Joy’s, hence it got Yerim’s attention. It’s an unknown girl and Joy hugging like they’ve never seen each other in decades. Once Yerim got a closer look at the girl, she automatically knew who she was.

It was Kang Seulgi’s sister—Kang Jennie.

 

*

“Ugh. Stop it people. It’s gross okay.” Yerim said with her arms crossed.

 

Joohyun had come back from her business trip in Japan—much to Seulgi’s heart’s happiness. They’re currently under the Bae’s residence with the new couple, Jisoo and Lisa, and the Bae’s youngest resident—lonely Kim Yerim.

 

“I thought you’re gonna be with Joy today that’s why I invited Seulgi and Lisa.” Joohyun felt pitiful for her younger sister.

Yerim rolled her eyes but her eyes glowed with sadness. “She’s with Jennie unnie.” She said in a small voice.

“Come again?” Seulgi asked.

“I said she’s with your sister.”

 

Seulgi eyes widened for she didn’t know her sister was in the country.

 

“What?!”

 

*

 

Seulgi called Joy once she got home and did a few—okay maybe an hour of lecture about ‘trust and loyalty’.

 

“How could you not tell me she’s here?! What if something bad happened that I wasn’t aware of? Umma and Appa will kill me--!”

“Oh shush your mouth Kang. Jennie’s safe with me.”

“I know you like my sister but that doesn’t mean I approve of you.”

There was a small gasped heard on the other line. “I-I-I didn’t—“

“Your stuttering admitted it all so shut up.”

Joy sighed. “Ara. I’m gonna send her there now.”

 

Seulgi heard a bratty whine before Joy ended their call.

 

Minutes later, the door in the living room opened—revealing a clingy Jennie and her assistant, Joy.

 

“Yah, does Umma know about this?”

“Of course.”

“Kang Jennie.”

“Ugh—you’re so annoying unnie.”

“Get in your room young lady.”

 

Jennie grunted once more and stomped her way to her room.

 

“Thank you Joy. You can go now. Or better yet, tell Yerim she’s still your best friend. I think that kid likes you—like REALLY likes you. Good night.”

 

*

 

“Myemim-ah!”

“I said don’t call me Myemim!”

Jisoo chuckled. “Joy’s here.”

“Tell her I’m not here.”

“Oh, but I’m informing you though. I told her you’re in your room.”

“You’re the worst unnie.”

“Thanks. Compliment accepted.”

 

Yerim didn’t give a glance when her room’s door opened.

 

“Yerim-ah.”

 

The intruder sighed. She walked her way beside Yerim’s side and caged her in a hug.

 

“Yerimmie~”

 

Still, she wouldn’t budge.

 

“Bae Yerim, I just really missed Jennie a lot. Please…?”

Yeri heaved a sigh and stared nonchalantly at the girl beside her. “I’m not angry nor mad at you unnie, I mean—why would I be? Anyway,” she closed her laptop and stood. “I’m gonna meet someone today and Joohyun unnie’s okay with it so I gotta prep.”

“But I came here you.” Joy whined. “You’re just gonna ditch me?”

“Joy unnie, we didn’t see each other for a week and a half, don’t use that excuse on me. If I were you, I’d better go home.”

 

Yerim gave her a meek smile before proceeding to the bathroom.

 

*

 

“Why is your face lookin’ like I-got-rejected-right-in-front-of-my-ugly-face?”

Joy glared at her boss. “Shut up Seul.”

“Woah. You seemed really pissed off. No honorifics?” Seulgi smirked.

“We both know I’m a hundred times older than you in terms of logical sense.”

“Don’t make me fire you Sooyoung.”

 

Silence.

 

“Does Yerim have a boyfriend?”

Seulgi was quite taken aback by the random question but she answered anyway. “Hyunnie—“

“Ugh. Quit the pet names when you’re with me.”

Seulgi laughed. “You sound very much like Yerim!” when she noticed her assistant’s gloomy face, Seulgi quickly faked a cough and decided to take the girl seriously. “I mean, Joohyun has told me a few stories about Yerim and she currently has none but there are some who have taken interest—are interested.”

“How ‘bout her?”

“Who’s her? What do you mean how about her?”

“If you weren’t my boss, I would’ve slapped you upside down right now. You are so frustrating to talk to!”

“I’m sorry okay! I’m just makin’ sure.”

“Never mind. Is Yerim interested to anyone? A guy… or a girl?”

“Oh! There is someone—“

 

A phone rang.

 

“Excuse me, I gotta take this call. It’s my boss.”

“Oh come on! It’s just Joohyun unnie! Tell me who Yerim likes!”

“Shush Park Sooyoung!”

 

*

 

Joy decided to ask Wendy about it since she’s the only decent one to talk to about the topic and the older girl has known Yerim long enough to know much about her.

 

“I just know there’s this guy she likes recently but I don’t know if Yerim likes him till now. His name’s Jaehyun… I think. I’m sorry, I’m not sure with the name.” Wendy gave an apologetic look.

“It’s okay.”

“Why were you asking though?”

Joy almost flinched with the question. “Uh—I—I just… want to know her more ‘cause we’ve been hanging out lately.”

Wendy looked satisfied with her reply so the older girl nodded her head in agreement. “I’ve noticed too. But… aren’t you with Jennie-ssi last week? Seulgi had told me about your little admiration for her little sis.” She shot the taller girl a teasing smile.

 

Even Wendy noticed.

 

“Wendy unnie!”

 

Joy stiffened. Did she hear anything…? She thought.

 

“Yerim-ah! It’s been a while!”

“I know right.” Yerim took notice of the giant behind her. “Oh—hi Joy unnie!”

“H-Hi…?”

 

Joy felt a little distant with the younger girl though they’re literally only a few feet apart.

 

“Anyway, I’m not gonna stay long but can you bring this lunch to Seulgi unnie? It’s from Joohyun unnie. And please tell the bear that her girlfriend’s busy right now so she can stop nagging her.”

Wendy chuckled and took the neatly packed lunch from Yerim. “Consider it done baby Bae.”

“Thanks! Bye unnies!”

 

‘Joy-unnie’ sounds so foreign to the name’s owner. It was supposed to be ‘Sooyoung-unnie’ or Sooyoungie or Youngie or whatever pet name that can be used with her name.

 

“I don’t mean to be nosy but is there a problem between you and that kid?”

“Nothing?”

 

Joy wasn’t sure.

 

*

 

It’s now or never.

 

“Joohyun unnie, where’s Yerim?”

“What’s up with you guys? Seems like the tables have turned huh.” Joohyun smiled. “She’s in school to do some org stuff.”

“Why is she everywhere? Seriously…” Joy sighed.

“I guess Yerim thinks it would be good to be productive than to chase you all day.” Joohyun teased.

“Shut up unnie. I’ll be going now.”

“Whatever Sooyoung. Get your girl.” Joohyun did a ‘fighting’ gesture before the younger girl left.

 

Joy drove to the High School Yerim is attending.

 

“Excuse me, do you know a student named Bae Yerim?”

The student was a bit startled with Joy’s sudden appearance. “Y-Yeah. She’s an officer in the Photography Club.”

“Can you tell me where their office is?”

“Sure. It’s on the second floor at the left wing of the building. There’s a name for every room, you can find it easily.”

“Thanks.”

 

Half way to the Photography Club’s office, she met Yerim by the stairs.

 

“J-Joy unnie. What are you doing here?”

 

With a guy.

 

“… To see you. Who is he?”

 

Their hands clasped together.

 

“Jaehyun, my boyfriend.”