Sick as a Dog

Three Beagles and a Kitty: Epilogues

Hi, everyone. I'm so sorry it's taken this long to update, but I'm back at college and working like crazy:( I hope some fluffy Krisyeol can make up for the wait.


“I hate to do this to you guys, but I don’t want you to get sick too.” Kris said walking to the door.

“It’s okay hyung, we’ll be fine.” Baekhyun said.

“I just hope Chanyeol will be okay.” Chen added, strapping his handbag closed.

“He should be fine if he gets a good rest.” Kris said.

The silver beagle hybrid had been acting strange the previous day, acting much less active and talkative. He also had very little appetite. Kris thought he might be coming down with something, but Chanyeol assured that he was fine. But when the dog woke up with a stuffy nose, runny eyes, and a horrible cough, he knew there was no way he could play off that he was in good condition.

Immediately, Kris sent the other hybrids downstairs, not wanting them to be around him while he was ill. He knew they’d be worried about him, but he really didn’t need more sick hybrids. While giving Chanyeol some medicine, he called up Suho and explained the situation and asked the man if his other 3 pets could stay over for a while.

“It should only be for about 2 days, Myeon.” Kris insisted over the phone.

“Nonsense, hyung~” The short man sang. “They can stay over for as long as they need to. We wouldn’t want to risk them getting sick.”

“I just hate to feel like I’m intruding.”

“Intruding? Hyung, you know my doors are always open to you and all of our friends. Chanyeol’s health is the only thing that matters right now.”

“Thank you, Suho. I’ll drop them off in a few minutes.”

“No way! You can’t leave Chanyeol alone and he’s sick. Even if it is just a cold, he might need something. I’ll come pick them up right now.” The man spoke so fast that Kris barely had time to register what he’d said.

“Are you sure, Myeon? I can drop them off, it’ll only be a few…”

“Nope nope nope, I’m coming over right now.” The man interrupted. “Lay, Sehun, c’mon!” Was all Kris heard before the call was ended. He sighed happily to himself.

“That guy may be short, but he’s got the biggest heart on the planet.”

 

As promised, Suho pulled up within a few minutes of the phone call. Chen and Baekhyun were barking like crazy when they heard his minivan stopping outside.

“He’s here! He’s here!” Baekhyun howled. He reached for the doorknob, but was stopped by his owner.

“Now I want all of you to behave yourselves.” He said sternly. “No loud barking or bothering Suho while he’s working. And please give Sehun his space.” Kris knew his pets were well behaved, but he still worried when they visited other people’s houses.

“Of course we will, ge.” Tao mewled. “Can we go now?” Kris knew that Tao was excited to spend a lot of time with Sehun. He was the only cat hybrid owned by one of Kris’s friends, and thus the only cat he could hang out with. Sure Chen was half cat, and Tao of course loved playing kitty games with his hyung from time to time, but being around another full cat hybrid was always enjoyable to him.

“Yes, you can go.” Kris said. He quickly gave each boy a kiss on the head before he opened the door. Suho had the back door already opened and Lay was waving to Kris and the others. The three hybrids dashed down the front yard and hopped into the van. Kris could see that they were greeting the other hybrids with .

“Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Kris hyung! I hope Yeollie gets well soon!” the bunny shouted.

“Don’t worry about anything Kris!” Suho yelled. “We’ll all be fine!”  And with that, the man closed the back door and drove away. Kris nodded happily and went back into his house.

 

Chanyeol was currently cocooned in blankets in Kris’s bed. He felt like he was freezing and just wanted more warmth. He wanted even more blankets.  His eyes and head felt heavy, but he sat up in his attempt to get more of the fluffy covers. Slowly, he threw his legs over the bed and managed to stand up. Unfortunately, his legs decided to go against him as he dropped to the ground, the loud thump echoing throughout the room. It was also at that moment that Kris made his way into the room.

“Chanyeol!” Kris was at his puppy’s side in an instant. He pulled the boy into his arms and sat him back down on the bed.

“Hyung…” the pup moaned.

“Chanyeol, I told you not to move.” Kris said worriedly. At that moment, he was glad that he let Suho come over to pick up the other boys. He would have lost it if Chanyeol fell down and hurt himself when he wasn’t home.

“Cold…cold…” the dog whined, reaching for Kris through the blankets. Kris felt the silver dog’s forehead and was met with a burst of warmth.

“Cold? You’re burning up.”

“Cold…hyung…” Chanyeol pouted as he looked at his owner. It almost looked like he was nearing tears. And that was one sight Kris couldn’t take.

“Okay, puppy. Give me a second.” Kris went to his closet and grabbed a blanket for Chanyeol. He made sure it was a thin one so the boy wouldn’t get too overheated. The tall man wrapped the blanket around Chanyeol’s body and gently hoisted the hybrid into his arms.

“Hyung?” the dog’s voice was notably scratchy.

“We’re going to the guest room. I need to keep this room free of germs for when the others come back.”

“Sorry, hyung.” The puppy moaned sadly.

“Don’t be. It’s not your fault. I just need to make sure everyone stays healthy.” He made his way to the guest room and sat the dog down on the clean bed. Once the pup appeared to be comfortable, Kris started smoothing his hair. “What do you want for breakfast, pup?”

“Ugnh…not hungry.” Chanyeol whined. He had absolutely no shred of an appetite. It was quite an odd feeling for him.

“You really should eat something. I know you don’t feel hungry, but your body still needs nourishment.” Kris explained. Chanyeol didn’t respond. Instead he buried himself further under the blankets, probably feeling tired. Kris sighed. He hated seeing his usually happy hybrid so weak and somber. Regardless, he still wanted Chanyeol to eat something. He figured he would just bring him some simple dry toast. Something that would be easy on his stomach. He fluffed Chanyeol’s pillows to make sure that the hybrid was comfortable and pulled down the blankets to his chest so that he could breathe. The man then started out of the room.

“Stay…” Chanyeol moaned weakly, reaching out to his owner.

“I’m just going to go wash the bedsheets.” The blond said, Chanyeol’s forehead. “I’ll be back in a flash.” Chanyeol simply whined in response and Kris quickly moved to his bedroom to get everything done as soon as possible.

Kris put some toast in the toaster before he loaded the washer, still wanting Chanyeol to have some food. He made sure that he washed all of the covers and sheets from the bed to make sure that there would be nothing contaminated for when the others came back. Afterwards he put the toast on a napkin and made his way back upstairs.

“Kris…” Chanyeol’s voice was still scratchy, but Kris could tell that the dog was bit upset.

“Are you okay, babe? Do you need something?” Kris cupped the boy’s face as he spoke. Chanyeol stared at his owner for a few seconds before averting his eyes.

“I…I just…wanted you to come back in here.” The dog said shyly. Kris didn’t know if the hybrid was blushing out of embarrassment, his cold, or possibly both.

“I’m here, Yeol. I’m not going to leave out for a while.” He said. He moved to brush Chanyeol’s ear with a hand, but the dog stopped him.

“Don’t touch me, hyung. You’ll get sick.” The silver hybrid said.

“I won’t. Hybrids can’t pass their illnesses onto humans.” Kris laughed softly, resuming his ear petting.

“Are you sure? Humans can catch colds too.” The hybrid coughed as he spoke.

“Even if it’s just a cold, I won’t catch it.”

“Okay.” With that information known, Chanyeol grabbed Kris’s shoulders and tried to gently pull him unto the bed. Kris chuckled and lay down next to his pup on the bed. The beagle immediately snuggled into his owner’s side, using the man’s shoulder as a pillow.

“I brought you some toast.” Kris whispered, rubbing Chanyeol’s cheek. The hybrid pouted. He still didn’t feel like eating. Still, he knew Kris would feel better if he ate, plus it’s not like he felt nauseous or anything. Reluctantly, Chanyeol opened his mouth for Kris to feed him. Kris went at Chanyeol’s pace. He broke the toast into small pieces to feed to the puppy and patted his head as he chewed. It took about 10 minutes, but he eventually finished. They sat in silence (minus a few sniffles from the puppy every now and then) for a few minutes before Chanyeol spoke up.

“Baekkie, Chen...Taozi…where?” the dog moaned quietly.

“Oh yeah, I guess you didn’t hear earlier, but they went to Suho’s house. They’re going to stay there until you’re well tomorrow.” Kris explained. He obviously had no guarantees that Chanyeol would be being better the next day, but he hoped that enough medicine would make him feel well enough that the others could return home.

“I miss them.” The dog said, tears forming in his eyes.

“I know, baby. But we couldn’t let them get sick.” He pressed a kiss to the puppy’s lips. Chanyeol began whining and buried his face in Kris’s shirt, shaking slightly. He was crying. The blond man gently rubbed his puppy’s back. The hybrids spent literally all their time together and now they were being separated for who knows how many days. It wasn’t a surprise that Chanyeol was this upset. Kris expected it. He was only glad that Baekhyun and the others were with close friends and hopefully wouldn’t be as sad about not being home.

“Shhhh, shhhh…it’s okay.” Kris cooed. “The boys are fine and you’ll see them soon.”

“Hyung…” Chaneyol whined before crying again. Kris’s heart broke. He hated when his hybrids were upset and there was nothing he could do to make them happy.

“Maybe I’ll let you call them later. Would you like that, pup?” The silver beagle nodded as he sniffed some more. Kris kept Chanyeol cradled in his arms and began silently humming to him. At that moment he really wished that the others were there. Chen and Baekhyun were pretty good singers and could easily sing someone to sleep. Heck, even Tao had a really nice singing voice, though the cat, like Kris tended to prefer rapping. It’s not like Kris didn’t like to sing. He actually wished that he sang as well his short beagles. But he just found that rapping was easier for him, so rarely worked on his singing skills. Now it got to the point that he tried to avoid it due to the fear that he’d sound horrible.

“Sing hyung?” the hybrid looked up at his owner with hopeful eyes.

“You know I’m not a good singer, Yeol.” The man sighed sadly.

“You’re voice is pretty hyung. Please sing…” the boy’s voice came out as a slight whimper. If this was any other time where Chanyeol was perfectly healthy, Kris would have said no in a heartbeat. But his puppy was sick and already sad because his hybrid friends were gone. The least Kris could do was sing to the boy like he wanted.

And so he sang. He sang some Korean songs, some Chinese songs, anything that popped into his head. He didn’t care much for the way he sounded. But if Chanyeol enjoyed it, he’d sing all day long. But just for this one day.

Chanyeol fell asleep after about 30 minutes. Kris decided that now would be a great time to put the bedsheets and pillow cases in the dryer. He eased Chanyeol off of him as gently as possible and headed to the washroom. After moving the clothes, he was shocked when he looked at the clock. It was already 1:30. He hadn’t even noticed how long he’d been upstairs. He decided that it was also be a good time to give the dog hybrid another dose of medicine. Luckily Chanyeol hadn’t been coughing as much, so it seemed he was getting better. Most hybrids did tend to recover from illness a bit quicker than humans, but there were instances of hybrids getting extremely sick from some common ailments. Dog hybrids like Chanyeol seemed to have better immune systems than that of most hybrids, so Kris was happy for that.

Kris returned to the room with a fresh serving of medicine. Chanyeol, like most doggies, tended to take his medicine as a pill coated in peanut butter. He was fine taking liquid medicine if he absolutely had to, but he preferred to make it as tasty as possible. Kris put the clump of peanut butter to his pup’s mouth. Even though he was asleep, he knew that food was near. He sniffed the air, locating the scent of the peanut butter and lapped it up with his tongue in an instant.

“Good boy.” Kris whispered as he snuggled back in the bed with him. He pulled Chanyeol onto his typical spot, right on top of his stomach, and began rubbing his back.

“Hyung?” the boy’s voice was still a little scratchy.

“What is it, Chanyeol?” Kris asked.

 “Tao…call…”

“Tao? You wanna talk to the others now?” Kris asked to be certain.

“Call. He might…miss you.” The puppy said weakly.

Such a good dog; always worrying about the others. Even when he’s sick.

“You’re so sweet Cànliè.” Kris picked up his phone and dialed Baekhyun, just in case Tao was napping or something. He wouldn’t want to startle him if his phone’s volume was high. It rang for a while, but unfortunately there was no answer. Kris was surprised by the lack of response, but figured that the brunet was simply in a room away from his phone. The silver beagle whined when he didn’t hear a response.

“Sorry bud, he didn’t answer.”

“Are they okay?” Chanyeol asked in between coughs.

“They’re fine. His phone is probably just in a different room.”

“Try again, hyung?” the hybrid’s voice was almost a whisper.

“Hm, let me call Suho.” Kris dialed his friend’s number, knowing that the man was never without his phone. And as expected, he picked up instantly. Kris set the phone to speaker so Chanyeol could hear everything.

“Yes, hyung? Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, everything’s fine. Where are the guys?” 

“Oh, they’re all in Lay’s little den upstairs. I think they’re watching movies or playing cards or something.” The man explained.

“Ah, so they must have left their phones downstairs.”

“I guess. I’m in my office cleaning up right now, actually.”

“Oh, sorry for bothering you. Chanyeol just wanted to talk to the others and make sure they were alright.” Kris explained.

“It’s fine. I can go get them if you want.”Suho replied. Kris turned to his hybrid with a questioning look on his face. Chanyeol may have suggested calling Tao for him to speak to Kris, but deep down inside, the man knew that the beagle also wanted to hear his friend’s voice.

“Do you?”

“No, hyung. Let them watch the movie.” Chanyeol said quietly.

“Are you sure, pup?”

“Yes, we can call later.”

“If that’s what you want, babe.” Kris said. “We’ll call later Myeon. After they finish their movie.”

“I’ll tell you what. I’ll have them call right before dinner.” Suho said cheerily.

“Thanks man.” Kris said.

“No problem. And speaking of dinner, I better get cooking. Later.” Suho ended the call following his farewell. Kris set down his phone and pulled his puppy closer to his face.

“He’s going to have them call before dinner. So we’ll hear from them in no time.” Kris laced his fingers through Chanyeol’s hair as he spoke.

“Okay.” The beagle yawned as he buried his face in his owner’s chest. He slowly drifted to sleep in the comfort of his owner’s arms. Though Chanyeol hated the feeling of being sick and hated the fact that his closest friends weren’t with him, he had to admit that it was nice having his precious Kris to himself for a while. Kris loved all of his hybrids and tried to spend as much time evenly with them as possible, but sometimes it was hard to divide time between 4 pets. Add a long, demanding job in there and sometimes it seemed like Kris had do use a chart to hang out with the boys equally. Ninety nine percent of the time, the hybrids would just latch on to Kris as a group, and they were all fine with it. They loved spending time together and with their owner, so doing it as a group was the best of both worlds. But like all hybrids, they all had a longing for alone time with their care taker.

Sharing Kris wasn’t an issue between the boys, thankfully. As long as they had someone to cuddle with, the beagles and Tao were happy to give their housemates one-on-one time with the human. Still, it was always nice to have the man to themselves, even if it was just for a short while. And thus, Chanyeol stayed snuggled up in Kris’s warmth, content to remain that way until his illness passed.

 

It was around 6:15 when Chanyeol was awakened by the sound of whispering. It was Kris’s voice, and it sounded like he was speaking to someone.

“Really? That’s nice.” Chanyeol heard the man say. He turned slightly to try to angle his ears towards his owner.

“I’m glad you’re having fun, Taozi.”

“Tao?” the silver beagle’s eyes shot open immediately. His nose was in the air as he whiffed the scents around him. He picked up sweat, hair gel, and cologne, but no cat.

“Well, that sure woke you up.” Kris laughed as he patted his puppy’s head. “He’s on the phone, Yeollie.” Without saying anything more, Chanyeol snatched the phone out of Kris’s hand and put it to his own ear. It was due to excitement, which Kris knew of course, and wasn’t offended by it. He could hear the hybrid’s tail thumping under the bed sheets.

“Tao? Taozi, are you there?” Chanyeol asked.

“Pretty hyung? You sound funny.” Tao’s girly giggle sounded through the phone and it was music to Chanyeol’s ears. He hadn’t heard it in so long. Well, it was long from a puppy point of view.

“I’m still sick.” The dog said with a sad smile.

“Do you feel better?” the kitten asked.

“Yes. My throat doesn’t hurt anymore and I’m not coughing.”

“That’s good.” Tao meowed. And though Chanyeol couldn’t see him, he could picture in his head the cat hybrid’s fluffy tail swishing happily as he spoke. The gentle look in his dark baggy eyes, which were often magnified by his glasses. Chanyeol missed his little (yet not that little) kitten. He missed all of his friends. He felt tears welling in his eyes.

“I miss you.” The dog sniffed loudly. Kris rubbed soothing circles on his dog’s back. He reached for the phone to take over the conversation, but Chanyeol didn’t release his grip.

“I miss you too, hyung.”

“Where are Chen and Baek?”

“They’re washing up for dinner.” The cat responded.

“Oh.”

“Want me to go… um, get them?” Tao stuttered slightly, and Chanyeol thought it was just the cutest thing ever. The cat didn’t struggle much with Korean anymore, but he did still have a bit of a stutter.

“No, I’ll talk to them later. You go eat.” The dog hybrid replied. They all loved eating and Chanyeol didn’t want to delay his friends from eating their dinner.

“Are you sure, hyungie?”

“Yes. Make sure you eat a lot for hyung okay.”

“Okay, hyung. Bye bye.” Tao mewed.

“Bye.” And Chanyeol gave Kris back the phone. He felt the tears coming again.

“Bye bye, Tao. Well call back later okay? Okay, have fun.” Kris waited for Tao to hang up before putting the phone down. He took Chanyeol into his arms and let the boy cry. He could only imagine how much Chanyeol missed the others and wanted to see them.

“Sniff…hyung…” Chanyeol whined.

“It’s okay. You just said you were feeling better.” Kris spoke slowly, making sure Chanyeol wasn’t sniffing so much that he missed his words. “Just a bit more medicine and you should be good.”

“Can I have it now?” Chanyeol asked. He didn’t like the medicine, but if it brought him closer to seeing his hyungs and dongsaeng, he’d gladly take it. He wanted everyone to be together again.

“I’ll mix it with your dinner. Would that be okay?” the blond asked.

“Yes hyung.” The dog rolled off of his owner so that he could prepare both of their meals. Kris gave his dog a pat on the head before going to the kitchen.

Chanyeol couldn’t rest as he waited for Kris. He couldn’t stop thinking about his buddies. What were they eating? Did Suho make food for the beagles, or was it just kitty and rabbit food like fish and carrots?  Was Chen eating kitty food or would he eat they puppy chow? Was Lay feeding Tao like he did Sehun, or would Baekhyun or Chen do it, like at home. Maybe Suho was feeding him. Or maybe Tao was just feeding himself. There was so much to think about and Chanyeol was still on dinner.

“What’s up, pup?” Chanyeol shook himself out of his thoughts and looked up to his owner holding a plate. The beagle’s nose was still a bit stuffy, so he wasn’t 100% certain what the meal was. He did detect a meat though.

“Oh, I was just thinking.” Chanyeol moved over to make space for his hyung.

“About what?” Kris asked. With the plate now it sight, Chanyeol could see that his suspicions were correct. It was an entire plate of delicious sesame chicken. The silver dog couldn’t help the drool that formed in his mouth and seeped off of his tongue. Kris chuckled and gave his puppy a forkful of chicken.

“The others.”

“I talked to Tao for a while before you woke up. He said they were all having fun.” Kris said, giving Chanyeol more food.

“What did they do all day? Did they play kitty games with Sehun? Did Chenny eat cat food? Did Lay feed them lunch? Did Suho cuddle with them like you do?” Chanyeol’s questions flew out of his mouth at a breakneck pace. It was only by giving him more chicken that Kris was able to respond.

“Well he didn’t say everything they did.” Kris laughed. “He said they played a lot together and that Sehun wanted to play with Lay.”

“Really? He said that? Sehun played with Lay hyung while they were there? What did they play?” Chanyeol asked, giving Kris some chicken.

“He didn’t say.” Kris chuckled as he chewed. “But I’m sure he’ll tell you all about it when he comes back. Chanyeol nodded. The two ate in silence until all of the chicken was gone. Once they were done eating, Kris set the plate on the nightstand.

“Thirsty?” the man asked his hybrid.

“A little bit.” The dog said, slightly panting. Kris nodded and grabbed the plate before heading downstairs. Chanyeol re-situated himself as he waited for Kris to come back. He looked at the clock. It was 7:30. He sighed to himself and closed his eyes. Being sick was so boring. He didn’t feel like doing anything, except sleeping. The only benefit that Chanyeol had was his owner being there to talk to him and cuddle him all day. It was nice, but it was pretty dull way to spend a day between just him and Kris. If he was feeling his normal self, he would have preferred to spend the day outdoors. He’d take Kris to all of his favorite Chinese diners and simply enjoy being together. Or maybe they could have gone to the park and played fetch. Chanyeol also wouldn’t have minded a movie, but he and Kris tended to spend more time kissing than actually watching the movie.

The sound of approaching footsteps was enough to snap Chanyeol out of his thoughts. Kris had returned with a large glass of water. The man brought the glass to his beagle’s lips waiting for him to get his fill. He planted a kiss on the dog’s forehead as he drank.

“Feeling better?”

“Yes. Much better, hyung.” Chanyeol could feel that he was blushing. He had no idea why, though. This wasn’t the first time Kris had fed him or given him a drink or anything. He waved it off as being an effect of the cold, and reached out for his owner to sit down.

“You sound much better, too.” Kris said. “Maybe you will be better by morning.” The silver puppy smiled and his owner on the cheek.

“I hope so.” Chanyeol signed as he sank onto Kris’s shoulder.

“I know you really want to see the others.” Kris said, gently stoking the beagle’s floppy ears.

“I do, hyung.” Chanyeol started. “But even more than that, I want to spend time with you when I’m not sick.”

“Really? I thought you liked being loved on all day, listening to my horrible, crappy singing voice.” The man teased. Chanyeol playfully nipped his owner’s ear.

“I do, but when I’m sick, I’m too tired to really enjoy it. And I can’t do anything back for you.” The dog hybrid sighed.

“You take care of me every day. It’s amazing that it took you getting sick to actually let me do stuff for you for a day.”

“I like taking care of you, hyungie.” Chanyeol nuzzled against his owner’s chest.

“I know.” Kris said pressing a kiss to the canine’s forehead. “But I like taking care of you more.” Chanyeol’s eyes widened as he stared at his owner, a quiet, confused whine leaving his throat.

“I just wish you’d let me do it more often.”

“But you do so much for me and the others. You work all day and you’re always so tired. I like being able to let you relax.” Chanyeol explained. “I want to show you how thankful I am for all that you do.”

“I know, and believe me I know how thankful all of you are. But I’d still like to make you breakfast and feed you and do stuff like that for a change.” The man kissed his dog again, this time on the canine’s neck right above his collar. Chanyeol couldn’t help but give his owner a bunch of kisses in response, mainly doggy kisses. He loved his owner so much. And as much as he like caring for Kris, if it really made his owner happy to take care of him in return, then Chanyeol wouldn’t stop him.

“We still have the rest of the night to ourselves, hyung.” Chanyeol said. Kris smiled lovingly and pulled his hybrid close. He peppered kisses on his forehead, his temples, his cheeks, his eyes, his cold nose, his neck, and all four ears.  He petted the beagle on all of his favorite spots, his tummy, behind his ears, and of course his soft silver hair. And he sang to him once again. He sang popular pop songs, romantic love songs, American songs, and he even showed off his rapping skills.

Chanyeol adored every minute of it, panting madly in glee with his tail thumping against the bed the entire time. He went totally limp in his owner’s arms, simply enjoying the sound of the man’s voice and the kisses being placed on his face. For the first time in a while, the beagle let Kris take care of him and pamper him however he felt like. It was wonderful to be on the receiving end of so much attention from his owner. And though the dog wanted his friends to return home as soon as possible, for now, he’d enjoy the last few hours his had with just his owner and himself together. He certainly was feeling better. In fact, he could get used to this.

“Hyung?” Chanyeol whispered quietly.

“Yeah, Yeollie.”

“Can we do this again sometime?” the dog asked shyly. 

“Of course.” The tall man laughed. “I just said I wanted to take care of you more.”

“I mean…you singing to me. That’s what I like the most.” The dog had a happy grin on his face as he spoke. And there it was. That wonder gummy smile that Chanyeol loved so much. Brightening Kris’s entire face and making him look even more adorable in Chanyeol’s eyes.

“I’d sing for you anytime, Cànliè.” A gentle kiss was pressed to the beagle’s lips. And Chanyeol closed his eyes in bliss.


I really hate how short this chapter is. I planned that the epilouges would be shorter than the chapeters from the main story, but not this short:/ I'll try to make the next ones longer. I have lot's of ideas for epilouges, though, so hopefully I'll be able to crank them out faster.

Again, sorry for the delay, and thanks for all who are reading and enjoying:)