Do I Deserve it

Three Beagles and a Kitty: Epilogues

I'm back, and this is probably my favortie chapter so far. I hope everyone enjoys it.


The bright morning sun beamed across a certain curly beagle’s face. He tossed and turned for a few minutes before finally sitting up. The hybrid yawned cutely as he opened his eyes. Tao and Baekhyun were snuggled up next to each other, still sleeping peacefully. The twin towers weren’t present, probably downstairs making breakfast. Chen quietly got out of the bed so as not to disturb the others and decided to have a quick shower before breakfast.

While in the bathroom, listening to the sound of the water hitting the floor of the tub, Chen was quickly removing his pajamas in preparation for his shower. He’d already taken off his pants, underwear and shirt, and was seconds from stepping in the shower before he remembered.

His collar. The curly beagle hooked two fingers around the accessory as he’d done so frequently since getting the thing. Chen hated taking off his collar. It was something he’d never in a lifetime imagined he’d ever receive. It showed that he was owned, loved, cherished. He wanted to keep it on his neck forever. Even the idea of taking it off for normal everyday activities such as showers or trying on new clothes just made his cringe. As such, the boy often struggled nowadays with cleaning himself, just because of the fact that he’d have to take off his precious collar. Not wanting to waste anymore of Kris’s water, the puppy quickly removed the collar and washed himself so that he could quickly put the accessory back on.

Chen made his way downstairs quickly. He’d just put on a simple hoodie and beanie combo since it was still a bit cold outside, which meant that the house was rather cool as well. As expected, the twin towers were finishing up their cooking. Kris appeared to be frying something on the stove while, Chanyeol was back hugging him. The silver beagle was pressing gentle kisses to his owner’s neck and they were whispering amongst each other, though Chen, even with his beagle ears, couldn’t really make out what they were saying.

The sight was so cute that it made Chen quietly purr to himself. The mixed hybrid had slowly become a bit more comfortable outwardly showing off his cat DNA, though it was still a rare event on its own. Chanyeol must have sensed Chen’s presence, for the tall beagle turned around, tail wagging, to greet the shorter hybrid.

“Good morning, Chen.” The boy yipped, bouncing over to give his hyung a hug.

“Morning guys.” The curly boy laughed.

“So it was you showering.” Kris commented as he went to kiss the other hybrid as well. “Are the others awake, too?”

“They weren’t when I woke up, but who knows now?” Chen asked.

“Heh, yeah. Tao and Baek tend to wake up and then just lie in bed talking for half an hour.” Kris chuckled. “I go check and see.” With that, the tall man exited the kitchen and headed upstairs. Chen sat down at the table while Chanyeol finished setting out the food. As usual, they had quite a large spread, consisting of eggs, bacon, rice, sausage, toast, French toast, pancakes, and a few other sides.

“This looks great. Kris made all of it?” Chen asked, as he started fixing his plate.

“Nah, I made most and he just handled the rice and eggs.”

“You’re the best.” Chen said, chewing his food. “This is delicious.”

“Anything to make Kris hyung and you guys happy.” Chanyeol said with a smile. He scratched behind his neck for a minute causing his collar to start jingling. The accessory that adorned the tall hybrid went beautifully with his luscious fur. Of all the hybrids Kris owned, Chanyeol definitely deserved his collar the most, Chen thought. He cooked, cleaned, and cuddled and all of it was without being asked. He was everything a human could want and more. Chen wouldn’t at all be surprised if the Chanyeol was the deciding factor in Kris’s decision to get them all collars.

Chen then thought to himself as he lightly rubbed at the leather around his neck. What did he do to deserve his collar? He rarely ever cooked, never really cleaned, and preferred being cuddled to actually cuddling something else. And any chores he ever did were never of his own free will. He always had to be asked, and sometimes he’d even try to whine his way out of it. Now that he thought about it, Chen didn’t really think he was worthy of a collar at all.

“Are you okay, hyung?” Came Chanyeol’s voice. Chen shook his head and snapped out of his thoughts as he looked at the younger beagle.

“Huh?”

“You’ve been staring at your plate for a while now.” Chanyeol said.

“Oh…I…I guess I’m still a bit tired.” The dog chuckled, forking up some more rice. At that moment, Kris returned downstairs with Baekhyun and Tao.

“Morning~” The dog sang. And Tao simply meowed as his greeting.

“Good morning guys.” Chen said chewing.

“Morning.” Chanyeol barked. As usual, he made Kris a plate and began feeding him. Baekhyun meanwhile made a plate for Tao before making own. The two other hybrids rotated between feeding Chanyeol since he was always so focused on making sure Kris ate enough.

The other hybrids were all so helpful and selfless. They all made plates for each other before eating for themselves. Chen just sat down and started eating as soon as the table was set. Chanyeol, who’d been sitting with him the entire time, hadn’t even started eating. He always waited for the others before he himself ate. Chen soon began to feel guilty. All of the other hybrids were more than deserving of their collars. They were generous and incredibly sweet to one another and did it all of their own free will. It just came naturally to them. Chen on the other hand never did anything like that. He just took and took from the others and never gave in return.

Do I…do I even deserve a collar?

“Chen hyung, can you pass the bacon?” a quiet meow said.

“Oh, yeah. Here you go.” Chen’s voice was monotone and he didn’t even look at Tao as he passed the food. And once again, he’d stopped eating. Everyone was confused at the out of character behavior.

“Are you feeling okay, Chen?” Chanyeol asked.

“Uh, yeah I just…I’m not really hungry right now.”

“You, not hungry?” Kris questioned in disbelief. “Never thought I’d hear those words.”

“Yeah, this kid is nearly as greedy as Tao.” Baekhyun joked.

“I’m still a bit tired. Can I go lie down?” Chen asked, wanting to get away from any further questioning.

“You don’t feel sick do you?” Kris asked, just to be certain.

“No, hyung.” The half beagle gave off a smile, insisting that he was okay. Kris nodded, but still didn’t seem like he fully believed Chen. The dog made his way out regardless and headed to the living room.

I don’t deserve this collar. I never do anything around here. All I do is use everyone else. Baekhyun said it himself. I’m greedy. I eat all day, but barely cook. When was the last time I cooked? When I made that fish for Tao a while back? Chanyeol cooks all day every day. Of course he deserves his collar. And Baekhyun…he does all of the laundry. Even Tao does more around here than me. He makes the bed and bathes us in the shower. It would be a crime not to give them a collar. And what have I done to deserve mine? Nothing…After everything Kris has done for me. He took me in when I was the lowest possible form of pet on the planet. Kris could have bought any hybrid, but he took me in. He feeds me the best he can provide. He gave me a phone and a credit card. He buys me any clothes and toys I want. And what do I do to show my appreciation?

I don’t deserve it. I don’t deserve anything.

Chen’s eyes were squeezed tightly shut as he struggled not to cry. He hated that these thoughts were going on in his mind, but he couldn’t help it. It was true. He didn’t do anything to deserving of a collar. And the fact that he was just handed one for free just made him feel worse.

You don’t deserve this. It’s only because of the others that you’re here. And it’s only because of the work that they do that you have this collar.

A large hand gently his hair is what snapped Chen out of his thoughts. He opened his eyes and was met with the sight of his wonderful owner.

“Hey bud. You feeling better?” The man asked gently.

“Yeah, I just wasn’t all that hungry. Sorry if I worried you.” The puppy answered.

“It’s fine. I just want to make sure you’re alright.” Kris said as he continued petting Chen’s tan locks.

“Thank you, hyung.”

“Well, I just came to tell you that I’m heading out to the store for some groceries.”

“Really?! Oooh, can you buy some more bacon?! And chicken. Sesame chicken!” The dog asked, instantly getting excited.

“Ha ha ha ha, sure thing pup.” Kris planted a gentle kiss on Chen’s forehead before heading upstairs to get his money. The curly haired beagle lay his head back down on the sofa and closed his eyes once again.

How typical. Just begging for food again. And you’re probably not even going to do any cooking when he buys it. What a pathetic mutt you are. Kris ought to rip that collar off your undeserving neck and…

Chen gasped as he shot up into a sitting position. Was he talking to himself in his head? It didn’t matter because that voice was right.

“I…I’m doing it again. I’m just begging and taking and not doing anything to help anyone else. I really am a bad dog.” The beagle sniffed to himself. Chen shook his head and stood up. He’d had enough. It was time to start making some changes. No more lazy Chen. He was going to start acting like a good pet and take care of his owner the way any hybrid should. His floppy ears perked up at the sound of Kris’s voice in the kitchen.

“Alright guys, I’ll be back in a few hours.” The tall blond said. Kris passed through the living room when Chen was now standing by the front door. “What’s up Chen Chen? You hear something outside?”

“Huh, oh no. I um, I wanted to go shopping with you.”

You want to come shopping? You never want to come. Usually we have to drag you out of the house.” Kris laughed. He was joking, and Chen knew that, but it was true. Chen always had to be begged to do any sort of chores. The realization of how selfish he had been, made Chen’s heart hurt. He needed to redeem himself more than ever.

“I want to help you this time hyung. Please can I come?” The dog begged, adding in some cute whimpers.

“Okay, okay, just cut the aegyo.” Kris said, scratching the dog under his chin. “We’re heading out guys!” Kris called to the others. And immediately, Baekhyun and Tao pranced into the living room

“We? Chen’s going?” Baekhyun asked, clearly in disbelief.

“Chen Chen never wants to go shopping.” Tao added.

“That’s what I said.” Kris chuckled. “We’ll be back soon. See you later.”

“Yeah, bye guys!” Chen barked as he dashed out to the car.

“Later!” Baekhyun barked.

“Bye hyung and ge ge!” Tao mewled.

 

The car ride to the supermarket was actually pretty enjoyable. Chen enjoyed sitting shotgun, Chanyeol’s typical spot, and letting the wind smack against his face through the open window.

“For someone how doesn’t like grocery shopping, you sure love car rides.” Kris laughed.

“Riding is funner than shopping.” The beagle panted happily.

“Whatever makes you happy, bud.” Kris said, extending a hand to gently pat his puppy. His large hand wrapped itself entirely around Chen’s neck, jingling the collar as he petted the boy.

I just want to show you how much this means to me hyung. I finally gonna act like a dog that you deserve.

Chen slowly eased himself into Kris’s touch and before he knew it, he was leaning back in the chair and against Kris’s shoulder. Kris didn’t mind it. He was more than capable of driving with one hand. Plus seeing Chen leaning onto him like a rag doll with his eyes closed and his long tongue sticking out was too cute for words. It was especially adorable when Kris would intentionally stop petting the beagle, causing him to squirm around and whine; only to stop and go back to blissful panting when the man resumed his ministrations.

What a cutie.” Kris thought to himself.

It was only a 10 minute drive from Kris’s house to the store. Nevertheless, Chen had actually fallen asleep during the short ride. Kris’s petting was so soothing and sweet that any hybrid would beg for it.

“Chen Chen. Wake up. We’re here Chenny.” Kris whispered softly. The tan furred beagle shook himself awake, yawning cutely with his tongue still hanging out of his mouth.

“Hm? Where are we?”

“The store, pup. Remember?”

“Huh, oh yeah. Grocries, let’s go!” Chen shouted as he jumped out of the car. His tail was wagging a mile a minute before he realized where they were.

All of a sudden, Chen felt sick to his stomach, and in that moment he instantly remembered why he never really went grocery shopping with Kris. They were in front of the supermarket, but not just any one. It was the market where Chen had stayed when he was still a stray. It was where he’d been abandoned. The memories were coming back. The memories of being verbally and physically abused. All of the harassment. The blazing days and the freezing nights. The heart shattering hatred.

What an ugly mutt! How pathetic.

That loser is gonna be out here forever. He’ll probably die out here.

Worthless hybrid. No one would ever want such a gross creature.

“Chen, you ready?” Kris asked. He had already gotten a basket for their items.

“Yeah. Yeah! Let’s go!” Chen said, trying to sound as happy as possible. He had no time to let his past get in the way of the present. Right now, his mission was to help Kris shop and prove himself as a good puppy, and that’s what he was going to do. The boys continued walking and when they made it to the front entrance, Chen began to quiver. They’d literally walked by the spot where he sat and basically lived for over a year. The feelings were coming back to him. The feelings of worthlessness, misery, depression, of being un-loved.

The beagle shoved those thoughts from his mind. He wasn’t there to think about those days. He wasn’t a stray anymore. He had an owner, friends, a home. He was cared for. There was no reason to let those memories back into his mind.

“So what’s first on the list, Kris?” Chen asked, becoming peppy once again.

“Usually I get the meat first, so let’s head over to the butcher.” Kris said. Chen nodded and followed his owner dutifully. He looked around the store and noticed that there weren’t many other hybrids there. It wasn’t shocking or anything. With how hybrids were treated by society, most of them tended to avoid human heavily locations. It was also a well-known fact that out of all of the places people hated to see hybrids, it was in the supermarket. People feared that hybrids would infect their food with germs and disease and some stores even banned hybrids from being anywhere near the store.

Chen just kept his mind on Kris and showing the human how helpful he was. His goal was to redeem himself and prove that he was worthy of a collar. No other human mattered.

“Are we still getting bacon, hyung?” The beagle asked.

“Of course. Anything my, puppy wants.” Kris said, patting Chen with those amazingly comforting hands. The boy wanted to relish in his owner’s touch, but he felt guilty thinking over his statement. It was harmless on its own, but Chen just kept thinking about how it made him seem so selfish. He didn’t deserve anything.

“Um, well, I don’t really need it, actually.” The dog said nervously. “Maybe we could just get some fish for Tao.”

“We can get both of those and more Chen. We all eat a lot anyway.”

“You don’t eat that much, hyung.” Both males laughed. They knew it was true.

“Not that that stops you guys from feeding me all the time.” Kris replied, chuckling. Chen sighed.

“I don’t feed you. The others do. I just feed myself.” The pup muttered to himself. Fortunately his owner was more preoccupied with loading their cart with meat and didn’t hear the dog hybrid’s statement. He thanked the butcher for the meat before turning back to Chen.

“Okay, next we’ll get the snacks.” Kris said. Chen nodded and followed along.

“Are we getting treats and human snacks, hyung?” The puppy asked.

“Just human snacks here, bud. I get all of your treats specifically from a hybrid care shop.” The human replied. Chen simply nodded in response. He wasn’t worrying about his own desires for a change. He just stuck close to Kris, trying to be of as much help as possible. He took over pushing the basket and gathered all of the items Kris wanted in the snack aisle.

“Which ones are you getting, pup?” Kris asked.

“Oh, don’t worry about me. I’ll just eat whatever the others get.” Chen said, ignoring the delicious snacks that he tended to ask for.

“But what about that cheese popcorn you like so much? And those animal crackers you’re always asking for?”

Always asking for. He knows that all I do is beg and take.” The hybrid thought to himself sadly.

“That’s okay hyung. I don’t need those snacks.” The beagle tried to be as convincing as possible. Unfortunately, Kris didn’t seem to be buying it.

“You’re acting a bit weird Chen...is there something you’re not telling me?” the man asked, eyebrow raised.

“Me, weird? Nah, I’m fine, hyung.” The dog laughed, but for some reason something seemed off about it. It didn’t sound genuine. Chen tried to walk past Kris to look for some more items, but the man stopped him and pulled him back. He spun the tan beagle around to face him.

“Jongdae.” The tall man said with stern eyes. Chen gulped. Kris was serious. He knew that something was bothering him. But Chen couldn’t say it. Having a collar that he didn’t deserve was one thing, but admitting it to Kris would be even more humiliating.

“I’m fine, hyung.” The dog replied nervously. Kris knew that he was lying, but he didn’t want to make the hybrid any more upset than he already clearly was. They’d settle it once they finished their shopping. Kris released his hold on Chen and simply took back to shopping. But not before grabbing Chen’s favorite snacks and tossing them in the cart before the pup could even protest.

“Let’s go.” Kris’s words had no emotion to them.

Crap. Now look what you’ve done. He thinks you’re a spoiled brat who can’t live without some simple chips. Why couldn’t you just be a good dog like Chanyeol and Baekhyun? It’s not like Kris asks anything of you anyway. What a worthless, ungrateful, pathetic mutt.” Chen sighed at the depressing thoughts from his mind. He knew that deep down, Kris could never feel that way about him; about any of his beloved hybrids. But the beagle couldn’t believe that Kris wasn’t annoyed with him in some way. He had to dislike the fact that Chen did little to no housework, yet was always the first to ask for food or cuddles. No human, not even one as kind as Kris, could ever be okay with that.

It was that damned cat DNA. That was the reason Chen acted like a spoiled brat all the time. Chen loved both of his parents, but despised his mixed genes. He hated how he looked like a dog, but tended to act more like a cat. It was so annoying having to deal with two conflicting sets of instincts. It just gave the dog even more problems to deal with.

Chen sighed again. The entire point of going shopping with Kris was to possibly make himself feel better, but now he felt worse than he’d felt that entire day. It also didn’t help that Kris was also now upset. Right now, Chen just wished he were at home. Maybe he could have tried doing house chores instead. The hybrid was so caught up in his thoughts that he almost missed a certain aisle.

“Vegetables.” The dog mumbled.

“What?” Kris questioned, coming to a halt.

“We need to get vegetables, hyung.” Everyone in the house knew how much Kris disliked vegetables. They hybrids, being part carnivore, didn’t necessarily need them in their diet, thought they would munch on some from time to time. Kris on the other hand did need the leafy greens, but just couldn’t stand eating them. All of the hybrids thought it was sort of cute. The way they’d have to feed Kris his veggies like a child, the tall man pouting and whining the entire time. It was hilarious to see their giant owner in such a way.

“Fine.” Kris pouted, begrudgingly walking into the vegetable aisle. Chen chuckled as he pushed the basket behind his owner. He was still upset, but seeing Kris making such disgusted, silly faces while loading the basket with carrots and broccoli certainly brightened the atmosphere. After they finished gathering the vegetables, they grabbed a few extra necessities like milk, eggs, bottled water. Once their basket could no longer carry anything else, the duo made their way to the checkout line.

Chen felt a bit uncomfortable as they were waiting to pay. There were a lot of humans in line and not a single hybrid in sight. He could definitely feel the ugly looks coming his way. Kris seemed not to notice as he was currently fiddling with his phone as he waited. Fortunately, it wouldn’t be long until their turn.

Once the customer in front of them had gotten all of their stuff loaded up, Kris and Chen began putting their food on the belt.

“I’ll get it hyung. You just go pay.” Chen said, a small smile on his face. Kris paused for a second, but figured that since he’d already gotten the heavier stuff out first that it should have been fine to let Chen handle the rest.

“Kay.” Kris said as he walked over to the cashier.

“How are you doing today?” the young man asked.

“Nice, thanks.” The blond responded.

“You sure have a lot of stuff.” The cashier chuckled.

“Well, I have a lot of mouths to feed at home. Thankfully I had some help today.” Kris looked fondly at Chen who was nearly finished unloading everything.

“Really? Do you mean… what the…? Wait a minute, I know that mutt.” The cashier suddenly said, eyes locked on Chen. The beagle shuddered at the man’s words and verbally whined when he actually looked at him. It was a worker he knew all too well. How could he forget a man who seemed to want nothing other than to make his life miserable.

Chen wasn’t sure if the man loathed hybrids or was just a rude person, but every day he lived in front of that store, he’d see the employee several times. And each time, the man had a different way of taunting the beagle. Whether it was throwing stuff at him, ramming a large group of baskets at him, or just berating him, that man did anything he could to make Chen feel even worse about himself. The beagle tried to just ignore him, but just like everyone, he had breaking points. The worst days were when the man actually managed to draw tears from his eyes.

“Excuse me?” Kris asked, not liking the man’s terminology.

“Yeah, I know that mutt. He used to sit outside this store for like a year after his old owners ditched him. Probably for being too ugly.” The man spoke as if there was no issue screaming out Chen’s personal life to the public. Kris on the other hand visibly tensed up. He had completely forgotten that this was the very store where Chanyeol and Baekhyun had found Chen almost 2 years ago. No wonder the boy was acting so oddly.

“Aw man, don’t tell me someone sold you this mutt? Dude you got ripped off.” The man continued his insults as he scanned Kris’s items.

“Chen is my dog hybrid and I took him in.” Kris said angrily. He gestured to Chen to come closer to him, which the dog obediently did. He brought along the basket so that he could start loading up the bagged items. Once the dog was up closer, the man got a good view of the boy’s neck.

“Ha, hey dude, where’d you steal that collar from?” the man asked. Chen whined again. He felt like he was frozen and could barely find any words in his throat. His hand made its way to the collar and latched on, unable to move.

“What are you saying?!” Kris demanded. “I bought Chen his collar.”

“You’re kidding right? That thing? You bought him a collar? For what? What does he do?”

“What do you mean what does he do?”

“I mean, what does he do that you bought him a collar. Does he do laundry? Wash dishes? Cook? Doesn’t look like much of a chef to me.”

“He doesn’t do anything.” Kris argued. He was so upset that he missed the way Chen flinched. The hybrid swallowed the whimper that had risen in his throat and simply looked away.

“Wait, what?! He doesn’t do anything? So why would you waste your money on that mongrel?”

“Stop talking about him like he doesn’t have feelings! I bought him a collar because he’s my dog hybrid!” Kris was getting furious now. If he’d already payed for his stuff he would have stormed out of the store right now. Unfortunately, the man seemed to find Kris’s anger even more amusing and continued with his berating.

“Seriously? You just got him a collar for no reason. That dirty mutt?” The man laughed. Kris was literally on the edge.

“Listen, how about you just bag my stuff and be quiet.”

“Yeah, yeah whatever.” The man said, still eyeing Chen. “Your total is 240,000 won.” Kris immediately took out his card and swiped it. He was seething on the inside. He didn’t want to say much more in fear that he’d say something he’d end up regretting. Plus he didn’t want to make Chen any more embarrassed.

“Thanks.” Kris said, not a hint of happiness in his voice.

“Wait. Dude, come here.” The cashier suddenly whispered. Kris eyed the man suspiciously, not want to interact with him any further. The man gestured for Kris to come closer, which the blond reluctantly did. Chen was nervous, but simply finished loading up their groceries in the cart.

“What?” Kris asked angrily.

“I really just can’t believe that you got that guy a collar for nothing.”

“Well, I already told you that I did.” Kris fumed. The man looked at Chen for a minute and then back at Kris.

“C’mon man, honestly. I mean, he doesn’t really look like it, but…is he just…is he really good in bed or something?”

And Kris snapped.

 

Despite having lived as a stray for nearly a year, the past few minutes were probably the longest of Chen’s entire life. The beagle wasn’t sure what the cashier called his owner to him for. He simply kept filling of the basket so that they could leave once the conversation finished. The next thing he knew, however, Kris had punched the man in the face, causing him to fly backwards and bang his head against a pole behind him. Security was called soon after. After about 15 minutes of screaming from customers and more swearing from Kris than Chen had ever heard before, the duo was allowed to leave with their groceries and no major charges.

The two were currently sitting in the car in a parking lot outside of a nearby gas station. Kris needed to calm himself down, but didn’t want to stay around that supermarket any longer. The blond man leaned his chair back and closed his eyes, taking long, deep breaths in an attempt to calm himself.

Chen on the other hand was in tears. Not only because of the anger his owner was feeling and the harassment from the cashier, but also because what the man said was true. And what Kris said was true. Chen did nothing around the house. He didn’t deserve a collar. He was just a worthless mutt.

I’m the worst dog ever. And I don’t deserve this.’ Chen thought as he removed his collar.

The dog could no longer contain his sadness and spilled his tears out. He was whimpering and yowling and shaking like crazy. Despite the rage clouding his senses, Kris noticed the change in his hybrid and instantly sat up, forgetting all about his earlier anger.

“Chen, don’t let what that bastard said upset you.” Kris said, pulling the younger towards him. Chen pulled back however. It was then that the man noticed that Chen was holding his collar in his hand. “Chen, why did you take off your collar?”

“Because…I don’t deserve it.” The dog whined.

“Chen, that man was…was…forget about everything he said. None of it was true. You do deserve your collar.”

“No I don’t hyung!” Chen shouted. “I don’t do anything around the house. I don’t do laundry or wash dishes or cook or anything! I’m too lazy to go shopping for food that I ask for and make everyone do everything for me! I’m worthless. I’m the worst dog anyone could ever get stuck with.” The dog wiped at his eyes and nose where tears and mucus had been pouring during his entire emotional release.

Kris was quiet for a moment. He sighed to himself before picking up Chen’s collar. He fastened it back around the pup’s neck once Chen had settled down.

“Hyung…” Chen began, but Kris grabbed him by the shoulders.

“Jongdae, when have I ever told you I was upset by you not doing work around the house?”

“Hyung, sniff, I…”

“Answer me.” The man said sternly.

“Never, hyung.”

“I told you and the others from the beginning that I didn’t expect you to do housework for me. I never wanted and still don’t want you guys to do housework for me.” The man’s tone became calmer as he continued. “Yes, Chanyeol does it and the others do because it makes them happy. That’s the only reason I still let them do stuff like that. Because they like it.”

“But hyung, I still…I don’t do anything. And after all you’ve done for me…”

“That’s just not the kind of dog you are. You’re just a little different.” Both Chen and Kris were fully aware of what Kris was referring to. At that moment, Chen once again began hating his feline genes. But Kris continued. “And I don’t care that you don’t like doing chores. I don’t need you to do chores to try to ‘prove’ how grateful you are. I know you’re grateful.”

Chen sniffled quietly, but didn’t take his eyes off of his owner.

“Every time I see your eyes light up and your tail wagging when you’re playing with the others, I know that you’re grateful to have a home and playmates. Every time you jump on the couch to cuddle me after work, I know that you’re grateful to have an owner. You don’t need to ‘do’ anything to show that to me Dae.”

“Really, hyung?”

“Yes. I love you just the way you are.” The man’s rare gummy smile made its appearance once again. “And you do deserve your collar. You’re a great dog and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”

Chen leaned over and buried his face in Kris’s chest, letting more tears spill. He wrapped his arms around his owner and poured out everything he had in him.

“I love you, hyung. I love you so much.”

"I love you too, my good little puppy." Kris said, pressing a kiss to he beagle's temple.


Why do I always torture Chen? He's just too cute :3 I sort of wish this chapter was a bit longer, but oh well :P

Thanks to everyone for reading. Hope you all enjoyed :)