Playdate

Three Beagles and a Kitty: Epilogues

I did a lot of typing over Spring Break so hopefully the next few chapters will come in quickly. Hope you all enjoy :3


Kai sat at the kitchen counter, his tail wagging happily as his owner prepared lunch. Next to him sat Lay, Sehun, and Tao, all who were having a “play date” with the toy poodle. Now, in all honesty, this play date wasn’t planned per say. Kris had been coaxed into taking the beagles to the dog hybrid park to play around for a bit. Tao of course did not feel comfortable being around so many strange dogs, but also did not want to be at home by himself. Thus Kris asked D.O. if Tao could hang with him for a few hours, so Tao wouldn’t be home alone and Kai could also have some hybrid company. And D.O. of course was happy to oblige.

“Sure. We’ve already got some guests over here, so what’s one more?” D.O. chuckled into his cell.

“Hm? Who else is there?” Kris questioned.

"Sehun and Lay."

The Ragdoll and rabbit were dropped off when and emergency situation called for Suho to head to work immediately. Normally he’d be fine about leaving the duo home by themselves, but he wasn’t sure how long he’d be gone, and didn’t want to risk upsetting the boys by having to stay out for several hours. And so, he asked D.O. if Kai would like some kitty and bunny company.

“It’ll be no problem at all, hyung.” D.O. said happily over the phone.

“Are you sure? You know I hate to intrude like this. And I know you and Kai love your alone time.”

“We have alone time every day.” D.O. laughed. “Besides, he loves when his friends get to come over.”

“Thanks Kyungsoo. And remember, if Sehun starts acting like a brat, don’t hesitate to call me.” Suho said in a loud, stern voice. D.O. chuckled. Sehun must have been in the same room.

“Hahahaha, everything will be fine, hyung.”

 

“Hunnie. Huuuuuunnnnnniiiieeeeee~” Tao mewled, poking Sehun’s head, which was laid across Lay’s lap. It should have been a rather uncomfortable position seeing as they were sitting at barstools, but Sehun didn’t seem to care that much. He was a cat, so he was used to being in wacky bodily orientations.

“Yah! Stop touching me!” Sehun hissed.

“Cuddle with me.” The Li Hua Mao pouted.

“Cuddle with Kai.” The rainbow kitten muttered, not willing to leave his spot.

“You should know by now that Sehun will never give up his bunny hyung, Taozi.” Kai said, reaching over to pat the black kitten's head.

“I’m just using him as a pillow.” Sehun sassed, trying to discreetly nuzzle into Lay’s leg.

“Because you liiiiikkkkkeeee him~” Tao giggled.

“No I don’t!” the ragdoll retorted, a blush forming across his face.

“Yes you do.” Kai teased.

“We all heard about the sleeping incident.” Tao laughed.

“Aigooo, Lay hyung. I can’t sthleeep. Help me get to sthleeeep.” Tao and Kai laughed like crazy as the latter mimicked Sehun’s lisp. Sehun was only getting more agitated. He was about to argue back, but the comforting feeling of Lay patting his was keeping him from becoming too enraged. So he just brushed them off and opted for a catnap.

Lay just sat quietly with a smile, enjoying how adorable Sehun was being. The bunny knew his kitty well enough to know that he was just playing tough. He knew deep down how much the boy loved his skinship, and thus, Lay was perfectly content to keep petting him non-stop throughout the day. But secretly, Lay loved to see Sehun so flustered and nervous. It was probably the cutest thing ever.

“Shut up! I really couldn’t get to sthleep.” Sehun quickly covered his mouth as he realized what just happened.

“He lisped! He lisped! He’s lying.” Tao cackled, his hyena laugh echoing the room. Kai laughed so hard that he started smacking Lay’s arm (gently of course).

“We enjoyed ourselves, didn’t we Sehunnie?” Lay asked, the kitten’s neck. And Sehun had to do everything in his power to not start purring.

“Sthop it.” The kitten whined, lisping again.

“Hahahahaahahahah, he’s still doing it!” Kai was now doubled over in laughter.

“Kai, Taozi, cut it out.” D.O. tried to sound as strict as possible, but truthfully he was struggling not to laugh himself. He couldn’t help it. Sehun was so adorable when he tried to act like a tough little kitty.

Tao laid his body on top of Sehun’s. He began to gently groom the younger kitten’s neck and fur, using his hands to neatly fix his hair. Normally Sehun would have complained about such close physical contact with the older cat, but he was too relaxed to move or say anything. He didn’t like being groomed by Tao of course. It wasn’t sweet or comforting at all, despite that tingly feeling he got in his chest every time it happened. Nope, he didn’t like it one bit. Kai smiled and rested his head on Lay’s shoulder, also wanting to join in the skinship.

“What’s for lunch, Soo?” Lay asked.

“Some salmon for Sehun and Tao, bulgogi for Jongie, and a carrot salad for you.” D.O. explained, pointing to each food with his spoon as he spoke.

“Carrot sthalad? What’s that? Don’t regular sthalads have carrots?” Sehun mumbled, sleepy from the totally not comforting grooming coming from Tao.

“He’s still lisping~” Kai hummed. Everyone stifiled a chuckle and pretended not to notice.

“Eh hem. Yeah, but I put extra on this one. We’ve got regular carrots, baby carrots, carrot sticks, everything.” D.O. said, smiling at Lay. The bunny clapped his hands and bunny ears, already thinking about the delicious meal.

“Is it done yet?” Tao asked, always ready for food.

“Just a few seconds. Kai, why don’t you set the table?” D.O. suggested. Kai pouted at having to leave his comfortable spot, but did what his owner said.

“I’ll help.” Lay offered.

“Noooo!” Sehun whined, clutching onto Lay’s leg. Tao and Lay both grinned at the kitten with large smiles.

“Aw, he doesn’t want you to leave.” Tao cooed.

“I..I just didn’t want to lose my pillow. But I guess I’ll get up sthince the food is almost done.” Sehun mumbled, still blushing. Tao pulled the kitten up, for Lay to assist Kai. The Li Hua Mao didn’t release the Ragdoll from the hug once they were properly sitting up however, and continued with his grooming ministrations. Sehun pouted. Because he didn’t like Tao. The older kitten was too annoying and clinging. The only reason Sehun didn’t tell him to stop was because he was still sleepy. Yeah, that was it. He wasn’t enjoying it whatsoever. And he certainly wasn’t purring quietly and nuzzling closer to the taller boy.

“Aren’t they so adorable?” Kai whispered.

“They sure are.” Lay smiled, bright dimple shining.

 

Lunch was delicious, as expected from D.O. Lay decided to let the kitties bond and focus on Kai for a change. He fed him his bulgogi like a mother feeding her pup. He even blew on it for him, despite the fact that D.O. had let it cool a bit before serving it. Kai adored the attention from his rabbit hyung and was wagging his tail for the entirety of the meal. Unfortunately, that came at the expense of his owner, who was on the receiving end of the smacks of Kai’s fluffy tail waving around sporadically. But he didn’t mind. He was always happy to see Kai enjoying himself with his hybrid friends. Being the only hybrid in his home had lots of benefits, mainly receiving all of the attention from his wonderful owner, but he did have the longing for the company of other hybrids at times. Which is why D.O. loved that his friends were always so willing to bring their pets over to play with Kai.

Tao, meanwhile, fed Sehun lettuce wraps of fish. Sehun didn’t ask to be fed, Tao just started doing it. He liked doing things like that, but Sehun just found it annoying. He could feed himself; he was a 19 year old kitten after all. He didn’t need any help. But he didn’t tell Tao to stop. Not because he liked being fed, he was just too tired to feed himself. Plus he liked the feeling of having a servant. But he didn’t care for the way Tao would smile at him and scratch him behind the ears every time he fed him a new piece of fish. No, he wasn’t blushing. His face was just hot from the food. And the way Tao would just decide to rub their faces together at random moments, purring soft and sweetly? Yeah, that was weird too. Nothing enjoyable about that.

“Lay, we all love how much you love taking care of the babies, but you need to eat too.” D.O. said, forking Lay some salad. The rabbit blushed. He only just realized that he hadn’t even started eating yet. But alas, this was common. Lay always got so caught up in feeding Sehun, Suho, or anyone else for that matter that he’d forget to feed himself. It was another form of his space outs, where the only thing he’d be focusing on would be making sure that the other ate. It was incredibly sweet and his friends loved him for it, but they would like him to focus on himself as well.

It was times like this that D.O. was glad that Lay had Suho as an owner. He had so many exploitable traits that would be easily taken advantage of if he lived with hybrid abusers. The poor bunny would probably be starving himself if he had an owner who didn’t care about his well-being and never reminded him to eat. D.O. hated to think about things like that, but luckily he had nothing to worry about since Suho was probably the nicest man on the planet.

“Hee hee. Sorry.” Lay said. He let Kai take the last piece of meat from his hand before he finally started to feed himself.

“It’s okay hyungie. We can switch for now.” Kai said, taking Lay’s fork. He processed to feed Lay for a bit, thoroughly enjoying watching the dimples form on the man’s cheek as he gobbled down forkfuls of carrots.

“Is there any dessert, hyung?” Tao asked.

“Dessert? You haven’t even finished your sthalmon. Er, salmon.” Sehun pointed out, glaring at the food Tao had yet to eat.

“I’m almost done.” Tao whined, shoving a fish wrap into his mouth. He giggled lightly at the younger kitty’s lisp. It was rare, but Sehun’s lisp was also known to show itself when he was deep in his own little trance, just as when he lied.

“Heh, well, I do have something sweet prepared for you all.” D.O. said, a smirk on his face.

“Really, hyung?” Kai said, tail starting to wag again.

“Ooooooh, what is it?” Tao mewled.

“You’ll see later.” D.O. replied with a cheeky smile. Tao pouted, but continued to feed both himself and Sehun regardless. After all, the sooner he finished, the sooner he could get that dessert.

“Don’t rush guys. I don’t want anyone going home with an upset stomach.” The short man said. The hybrids nodded in sync.

 

Once lunch was finished, the hybrids made their way to the living room. They were quite full from their luscious feast and were sprawled all over the couch, resting their full tummies. Additionally, like anyone else who'd just eaten a large meal, they’d all become very tired. D.O. decided to handle the dishes himself and let Kai and the others take a small nap.

“Nyaaaaa, I’m tired.” Tao yawned. He snuggled himself on top of Sehun’s body once more, wrapping his arms tightly around the younger kitten. As if by nature, the cats scrunched their legs towards their stomachs so that they were curled into a ball.

“Me too.” Kai said quietly. He lied down next to Lay, who was using the arm of the sofa as a pillow.

“Go to sleep then.” Sehun meowed. His eyes were already closed. Of all of the hybrids within the group's social circle, it was no secret that Sehun slept the most.

“Don’t you mean, sthleep.” Kai chuckled. Sehun merely hissed in response. He was too sleepy to argue back at the canine. Plus the way Tao was caressing his ears and neck was really soothing. Not that Sehun liked it or anything. But who would stop a free massage?

“We can nap and then have the dessert when we wake up.” Lay said with a yawn.

“What do you think the dessert is?” Tao asked, Sehun’s eyes.

“I hope it’s a carrot cake.” Lay said dreamily.

“I want pupcakes.” Kai said.

“Puppy cakes? What are those?” Tao questioned. Kai cooed at the kitten's word choice.

“Cupcakes that hyung makes with doggy designs.” The poodle said happily.

“Oh.” Tao mewed, seemingly trying to envision the treat.

“Gross. Who wants to eat a cake that looks like a dog?” Sehun muttered. “I want tuna.”

“Tuna smells weird.” Kai commented.

"You smell weird." The cat retorted. Tao nipped him on the neck, a reminder to mind his manners.

“Whatever it is, it’ll be delicious.” Lay said, lightly Kai’s fur. “Let’s just rest now.”

“Okay.” Tao said before drifting off to sleep. He snuggled even closer to Sehun, wrapping around him like a blanket. Sehun made sure he let out a small hiss to let Tao know that he totally wasn’t enjoying this physical contact. The only reason he cuddled back was to get more comfortable for his nap. Nothing else.

 

A delicious smell of wafted through the air, causing all of the hybrids to wake from their slumber. Well, all, but Sehun. The little Ragdoll was usually one to prefer sleep over food, while the rest of the hybrid bunch was completely the opposite.

“What is that?” Tao asked, half lidded eyes struggling to open fully.

“It smells like pie.” Lay suggested. His eyes weren’t even open. Kai tried giving the rabbit some puppy kisses to wake him up.

“That’s hyungs special apple pie. I can recognize it anywhere.” Kai said, in between .

“Ooooh, the dessert.” Tao mewled happily. “Wake up, Hunnie.” Tao quickly began shaking the young kitten, trying to wake him up.

“Hey…cut it out…mrrrow…” Sehun meowed. Tao hopped off the couch and lifted Sehun up bridal style. The younger kitten wasn’t too happy about that, because he hated being carried around. But he was still pretty tired, so he didn’t stop Tao this time. The black cat carried his buddy into the kitchen, eagar to have some of that delicious smelling pie. Once Lay was more awake, he and Kai made their way to the kitchen as well.

There were five plates sitting on the countertop when the boys walked in. And each plate held one slice of pie and a large scoop of ice cream. D.O. appeared to have just finished setting the table, as he was putting a container of ice cream in the freezer when the hybrids walked in the room.

“Well, well, well. Look who’s awake.” D.O. chuckled. “Was it the smell of food that woke you guys up?”

Tao blushed. “Um, yeah.” He giggled. He sat Sehun in a stool and then proceeded to sit down next to him.

“Hyung.” Kai said happily, running to greet his owner with several to the face. Lay walked in behind him and took the other seat next to Sehun.

“Jongie, cut it out.” D.O. laughed. “Aren’t you ready for your dessert?”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah!” the puppy panted. He pulled up a stool next to his glorious owner, wagging his tail in glee. D.O. laughed once more and started to feed the toy poodle his pie. Kai wiggled in his seat playfully, enjoying being fed by his precious hyung. Lay smiled at the sight.

“Mmmmm, this ice cream is so good.” Tao said. He and Sehun, being cats, immediately went for the ice cream first. Mainly due to the fact that they didn’t want it to melt, but also because they adored the milky treat.

“Do you like it, Sehunnie?” Lay asked. Sehun eyed that rabbit boy and simply let out a small grumble in return. Lay smiled happily at the response. He knew his kitty well enough to know that he was clearly enjoying the ice cream. If he didn’t like it, he would have said it. But the Ragdoll wasn’t one to make it outwardly known when he liked something, if he could help it. So the quieter he was when he ate, the more he was enjoying the meal.

Since the kitties were feeding themselves and Kai was being taken care of by D.O., Lay had nothing to do other than to actually feed himself for once. Being a rabbit, he preferred to pick the fruit out of his pie, rather than eating it all as a whole.

“XingXing, why do you only eat the inside of the pie?” Kai asked.

“I like the apples the most.” The bunny replied, moving on to the ice cream.

“But hyung worked hard to make that crust.” Kai whined sadly. It’s not that he was mad at Lay. But his owner was such a good cook. He didn’t like to see any food he made not being completely finished.

“Oh…I guess you’re right. I’m sorry Kyungsoo.” Lay said, eyes becoming very sad. Before anyone could say anything else, a rather loud hiss was heard. Kai in particular was startled and clutched his arms around his owner in shock.

All eyes were on Sehun, who seemed a bit surprised at what had just happened. As if the hiss was not intentional. The Ragdoll quickly turned his head back to his food, but didn’t start eating. D.O. turned his attention to his puppy, who appeared to be fine overall. Probably just a bit spooked by the hissing. D.O. the toy poodle’s hair in an effort to keep him calm.

“It’s fine Lay. You don’t have to eat the crust. I’m fine with you just eating what you want.” The short man said with a smile.

“Really?”

“Of course. I’m honored that you like the apples so much that you want to eat them all first.”

“Okay, Soo. Thanks.” Lay said, his smile returning quickly. After that, Sehun began eating his ice cream once more. Tao gently petted the younger kitten’s ears. He wasn’t sure why Sehun had gotten so upset all of a sudden. Maybe because Lay was upset? It would explain why he seemed so surprised at himself. Regardless, Tao was happy that the Ragdoll seemed to be fine now.

"Just becuase someone doesn't eat an entire meal doesn't mean they don't like it, Jongin." D.O. said, still patting his puppy's head. "And we don't want to make others feel like they have to eat everything if they'd prefer not to." It was the gentle scolding that D.O. did with Kai. Nothing to harsh to make him upset, but enough to teach him a lesson for the future. The toy poodle nodded in understanding. Still, he did start feeling guilty over hurting Lay's feelings.

“Sorry Xing hyung.” Kai whined. “I just…I really like hyung’s food. And I get sad if people don’t eat it all. But I didn’t mean to make you feel bad.”

“It’s okay, Jongie. No harm done. Want my crust?” the bunny offered. Kai nodded and scurried over to finish off the remainder of Lay’s pie.

D.O. smiled. “And there’s plenty more where that came from, so take as much as you want.”

After dessert, the quintet relaxed in the living room for a while, watching some dramas. Time seemed to fly by faster than they thought, as before they knew it, Kris and Suho had arrived to pick up their pets.

“They weren’t any trouble, were they?” Suho asked. He was always worried about Sehun and Lay’s behavior when they visited other people’s houses, even his close friends.

“Of course not, hyung.” D.O. laughed. “You know they could never be any trouble.”

“Well, not Lay I know. But that kitten…” Suho said, eying his duo. Lay currently had Sehun in his arms bridal style. They were standing in the front yard and it seemed that Lay was talking to Sehun about a tree, but the kitten seemed very disinterested.

“Seriously, hyung. Everything was fine.” D.O. said. “Kai loved every moment of it.”

“What about Tao?” Kris asked, walking up to the D.O. from within the house. “I know he can be…kind of, you know. Whiny.” The tall man glared at his Li Hua Mao, who was play-fighting with Kai in the front yard.

“Heh, you do spoil him a lot, hyung.” Suho chuckled, patting Kris on the back.

“Taozi was fine. He actually played big brother to Sehun for most of the time.”

“Really? Wow.”

“Well that must mean Sehun acted like a brat. He hates being babied. He’ll tolerate it with Lay of course, but other hybrids? Yikes.” Suho said, already knowing how his cat got when he was treated like an infant.

“Actually he was pretty good about it today. He didn’t fuss or complain at all.”

“Really?” Kris asked. He knew just as well as Suho how Sehun usually acted when Tao tried to baby him.

“Yeah, he was totally fine with it. It surprised me quite a bit, actually.”

“Hm, maybe he’s becoming more comfortable letting himself be taken care of by people other than Lay.” Suho said with a smile.

“It might also be because Tao is a cat too. He might be more accepting of another feline.” Kris added.

“And hopefully he’ll warm up to dogs too.” D.O. said, hopeful for more positive interactions between his own toy poodle and the younger cat.

“Yeah.” Suho smiled.

“Well, thanks for everything Soo, but we need to head home.” Kris said, giving the shorter boy one last hug.

“Same, thanks Kyungsoo. You know we’re always available if you need us, too.” Suho said, joining the hug.

“It was no problem, guys. See you all later!” D.O. said, returning the hugs.

The two men headed to their cars, and their hybrids followed behind happily. Kai, after giving Tao a final farewell, bounded back into his owner’s home. Once they were back inside, the duo headed back to the sofa, plopping down on it in unison.

“That was nice, wasn’t it?”

“It was fun, but Sehun hissing was scary. I don’t like hissing.” Kai said with a shiver. D.O. chuckled slightly. He knew Kai had a bit of a fear of cat hybrids, though he would never admit it directly.

“I think he was just being a bit defensive of Lay.” The shorter man replied.

“I didn’t mean to hurt Lay’s feelings.” Kai whimpered. He hung his head sadly.

“He knew where you were coming from. I don’t think he or Sehun are upset with you.” D.O. ruffled the poodle’s bright blond hair.

“That’s good.”

“Did you enjoy your time with your friends, otherwise?” D.O. asked.

“Yeah, I like being able to play with other hybrids.” Kai said, snuggling into D.O.’s chest. His golden hairs tickled his owner’s nostrils.

“I know, bud.” D.O. laughed, trying to gently push Kai down. He loved the pup, but wasn't too fond of dog hair directly in his nose. They snuggled for a bit longer before Kai seemed to get tired and simply rested his head in his owner’s lap. The duo was silent for a few minutes. And then Kai spoke up again.

“But I like our time together even more.” He looked deeply into his owner’s eyes and the man’s cheek.

“Really?” D.O. asked. He Kai’s neck right above his collar.

“Mmm Hmm. It's nice playing with my freinds and doing hybrid stuff with them, but spending time with just you makes me even happier, hyung.”

D.O. smiled. Without even thinking, he pressed his lips to his puppy’s. It wasn’t a deep kiss per say, but it was full of love and endearment from the short red head to his hybrid. And honestly, he had to agree with Kai. Having neighbors over every once in a while was fun, but nothing could beat the special moments between only the two of them.

"I love you, Kyungsoo hyung." Kai said, resting his head back on his owner's chest.

“I love it too, Jongin.” He responded, a hand down the toy poodle's back. "More than anything in the world."


This chapter is what happens when you want to do a Kaisoo, KaiLay, and Taohun, but struggle thinking of ideas for 3 seperate chapters so you smash them all together in one:/ I hope this didn't seem too cluttered. I do want to have some fluffy, shippy moments outside of the main pairings. Obviously not all will be covered, but variety is nice. Also, I'm sure you can all see that Sehundere is my weakness :P

Anyway, thank you everyone who is still following and reading these epilougues. I never thought they'd be so well recived. You all are the best :)