The Gift of Friendship (and Food)

Three Beagles and a Kitty: Epilogues

So here's the last chapter before the finale. Hopefully you all like it. Sorry about another crummy title :/


“Wait, what kind of meat does hyung like?” Sehun asked.

“Uh…bulgogi, chicken, pork…” Lay listed.

“Alright, I’m making salmon.” Sehun replied.

“But Hunnie…”

“Okay, what else should go with it?” Lay pouted at Sehun ignoring him.

“Well maybe some kimchi or rice or a soup…”

“Pasta? I guess that’ll be fine.” Sehun said, scribbling some notes on a note pad.

“I didn’t say that…” Lay said, ears flopping on his head sadly.

“And we need a dessert of course.” The cat said, stoking his chin in thought.

“What about a carrot cake?” Lay suggested, clapping his hands happily.

“Cheesecake? Alright.” Sehun replied. Lay frowned. He wasn’t all too happy about his suggestions being ignored. Normally he wouldn't mind if from Sehun, but this occasion was different.

“You know, I don’t think you’re listening to me all that much, Hunnie.” Lay scolded, hands on his hips.

“I’m listening, I’m just not taking your suggestions.” Sehun shurgged.

“Well, that’s not very nice.”

“Hyung, this is supposed to be a special present for Suho hyung. It has to be perfect.” Sehun argued. He patted Lay on the head as he spoke eliciting a smile from the bunny. The kitten was beginning to initiate more and more skinship with his hyung and Lay loved it. It didn't chage the fact that he was still annoyed with Sehun.

The duo had planned on making a special dinner for their owner as thanks for taking such good care of them since they'd started living with him. They were going to make the three course meal entirely by themselves. The only issue was that they weren’t exactly seeing eye to eye in terms of preparations.

“But this is from both of us, so I should be able to contribute.”

“You are, you’re going to cook it.” Sehun said.

“Sehun.” Lay glared at the kitten, clearly unhappy. He adored Sehun, but he was never one to let the kitten out of a scolding if he felt he deserved it.

“Ugh, fine. You can make your rice instead of the pasta.” Sehun pouted, scratching away at his previous notes.

“Thank you, Hunnie.” Lay smiled.

“Okay okay, now let’s focus.” Sehun meowed, hoping on the bed next to Lay. “We need to make sure hyung is out of the house long enough tomorrow so we can get all of this ready.”

“That’s all covered. Xiumin and Lulu are taking him to a movie tomorrow.” Lay yawned, crawling under the blankets. They were sleeping in Sehun’s room that night. Sehun had recently become more lax with letting others in his room, and tonight he’d even agreed to let Lay sleep with him in his own bed.

“But that won’t take all day, will it?” Sehun asked, snuggling right next to Lay. The rabbit had to force himself not to wrap his arms around the kitten. He didn't want to risk aggrivating the boy.

“Nope, that’s why D.O. and Kai are gonna call him as soon as the movie ends and ask him to go over to their house and help them organize their closet.”

“Organize their closet? That’s what they came up with?” Sehun hissed. “That’s ridiculous!”

“Yeah, but Suho hyung is so nice, he’ll help anyone with anything.” Lay said proudly. Sehun groaned. He knew it was true, but it was so embarrassing to think about.

“Well, if that’s the case, everything should be ready to go.” The cat boy said with a tired sigh.

“Yep. I think everything will go perfectly to plan.”

 

Suffice to say, things did not go perfectly to plan.

Immediately after Suho left, Lay and Sehun dashed into the kitchen to begin preparing the meal. Only to realize they were missing a hefty amount of ingredients. There were no spices for the salmon, not enough flour and no eggs for the cake, nor any cream cheese; the main ingredient they needed.

“This is a nightmare! I thought we had all of this planned!” Sehun hissed. “What are we gonna do?” Out of nowhere the cat found himself smooshed against Lay’s chest.

“Calm down Sehunnie.” Lay said, rubbing circles on the Ragdoll’s back. “It’s going to be okay.” Sehun purred complacently for a second before pushing Lay away.

“No it isn’t. We need like…a bunch of ingredients that we don’t have. We’re already behind schedule since hyung left later than we expected, and now we have to go out, buy ingredients, and won’t be able to start cooking until we get back!” The cat screamed frantically. “There’s no way we’ll ever finish in time.” Once again, Sehun was pulled into Lay’s chest.

“I’ll go to the store to get the ingredients. Start the rice in the rice cooker and take the salmon out of the freezer. The faster we start thawing it, the less it’ll have to cook later.” Lay said, patting the back of Sehun’s head.

“That’ll still only the rice cooking and that was the easiest thing anyway.” Sehun grumbled.

“Just let me run to the store and get the ingredients. We’re only wasting time by just standing here and talking.” Lay said. Lay had a point. Thus as frantic as he was, Sehun agreed and let go of Lay.

“Okay just, hurry hyung. Please.” Lay noticed the look in Sehun’s eyes. It was a different look that he'd ever seen before. He almost seemed to be pleading with the older hybrid. He was certainly serious about the situation.

“I will.”

With that, Lay exited the house and ran to the store. Luckily there was a small mart nearby, which should hold the ingredients they needed. Sehun, unable to do anything else, went back into the kitchen to start up the rice cooker and grab the salmon. He took the fish out first to get the thawing process started immediately.

“The one day I need everything to so right and something get screwed up before I can even start anything.” Sehun hissed to himself. “Great day this is turning out to be.”

The Ragdoll sighed. Starting the rice and fish took no time at all. Now he was stuck waiting until Lay returned. He was literally a sitting duck.

Or was he?

“Wait a minute! Maybe one of hyung’s friends has some stuff!” Sehun exclaimed. How could he have not thought of it sooner? Surely out of Kris, Xiumin, and D.O., one of them was sure to have something. He decided calling Kris first was best since he had the most pets and was likely to have the most food. Luckily, the phone was answered quickly.

“Hello?” It was Chen who answered. Sehun would have normally whined at one of the dogs picking up, but he was too concerned with his more important issues to complain all that much. At least Chen was part cat.

“Um, Chen hyung, are you at home?” Sehun meowed quietly. He wasn’t sure why he was nervous. Was it because he had to ask a dog for help? Normally the cat would have considered such a thing beneath him, but now wasn't the time to catch an attitude. He had to just cuk  it up, for Suho and Lay's sake.

“Yeah, we’re all here. Well, Baekkie and Tao are with me. Kris and Yeollie are upstairs doing…”

“Doing…?” Sehun didn’t really want to know, but Chen’s pause was only making him more curious.

“Who knows, honestly.” He eventually said.

“There doing icky stuff.” Tao hissed.

“It’s not icky. It’s normal adult stuff.” Baekhyun laughed.

“No it’s icky, I’ve heard it.” Tao replied. Sehun heard the Li Hua Mao bopping the beagle on the head.

“I’ve seen it. It’s not even worth talking about.” Sehun could almost see Baekhyun shrugging nonchalantly.

“It is.” Tao whined.

“It’s not. Don’t even act like you haven’t done similar stuff.” Baekhyun retorted. And by the way the beagles began chuckling; Sehun could only imagine that Tao was blushing a bright red, trying to hide his face behind some pillows or something.

“Um, guys?” Sehun mewed eventually. He loved gossip as much as the next kitty, but he was wasting time. Suho’s party was most important right now.

“Huh, oh Sehun. Did you need something?” Chen asked.

“Um yeah…do you guys have any food you don’t need?”

“What?”

“Well it’s a long story, but Lay and I are planning a surprise party for Suho and we were planning on making him a special dinner but we’re missing a lot of ingredients. Lay hyung went out to buy some, but that’ll take a while and I need to get something started.” Sehun took a deep breath after his long monologue.

“Why didn’t you just call us first? Of course we’ll help.” Chen barked cheerily.

“Really?”

“Sure, what do you need?”

After telling Kris’s pets everything they needed, Chen, Baekhyun, and Tao agreed to bring over whatever they had that could be of assistance. Following the call, Sehun messaged Lay on his phone telling them that he needed only to pick up a couple of spices for the salmon. It took about 10 minutes for Kris’s crew to arrive, but once they did Sehun practically yanked them into the house.

“C’mon c’mon, times a wasting.” The kitten meowed.

“What do you need to do first?” Baekhyun asked.

“The cheesecake, since that needs time to chill.” Sehun answered. I’ve got the pans and stuff ready. Got the crackers?”

“Yep!” Chen barked, pulling out the box of graham crackers.

“What about the cream cheese? That’s the most important one.”

“We know. You only reminded us like twenty times.” Baekhyun chuckled. “Here it is.”

“Good. And the strawberries?”

“Right here.” Tao mumbled his mouth full.

“Are you eating them?!” Sehun hissed, hair standing up on his head.

“Just a few.” He mewed, despite half the box being empty.

“Aish, I knew that kid would start eating them. That’s why I brought extra.” Baekhyun said. He placed two extra strawberry containers on the kitchen counter.

“You had more! I could have eaten more of these then.” Tao giggled, popping another one in his mouth.

“Hey I want some!” Chen whined. He tried to take some from Tao’s box, but the taller kitten only held it high out of the beagle’s reach. Tao giggled even more at his hyung’s shortness.

“Ugh, there’s no time for this.” Sehun moaned. “I need to start mixing this cream cheese.” Without another word he began mixing the cheeses with the other ingredients as he’d read previously. The Ragdoll was so preoccupied with his work that he hadn’t noticed a presence standing behind him.

“Sehun?” Tao whispered quietly.

“Yah, you scared me. What do you want, I’m busy.” The boy groaned.

“Can we help?”

“What?”

“Yeah Hunnie, let us help.” Chen said, tail wagging.

“It’ll make things go faster.” Baekhyun added. Sehun thought it over for a moment. The dogs’ help would make things so faster, which is what he really needed, but there was a reason why he didn’t exactly want them their assistance. And no, it wasn't because two of them were dogs.

“I can do it myself. Lay will be back soon, anyway.” The cat mumbled.

“C’mon Hunnie, just let us help you.” Baekhyun said, giving the cat a backhug.

“We can crush the crackers and make the crust for you.” Chen added.

"And then we can put the strawberries on the cake." Tao said, giggling towards the end of the sentence.

"Yah, you can't even say it without laughing. You just want to eat more!" Baekhyun scolded. The black kitten and brunet beagle began playfully punching each other. They were so distracted that they'd forgotten about Sehun; said kitten which was becoming quite irritated. 

"Aish, will you both sthop it!" That cat lisped evetually. All six eyes were on the rainbow haired boy after his small outburst. He took a deep breath and began speaking after a few seconds. “This is a present from Lay and me. I...I want us to be the only ones to do it.”  He didn’t look up at the other hybrids, sure that they would be snickering or sneering at him for being so soft.

“Really?” Chen asked.

“Y…yeah…”

“Wow, that’s really mature of you, Sehun.” Baekhyun said, patting the younger boy on the shoulder.

“And so sweet.” Tao cooed.

“Whatever.” Sehun sighed.

“Alright, guess we’ll be going then.” Baekhyun said. “Good luck.” Sehun nodded back at them, trying hard not to smile (had to try to keep up that tough-guy persona). Coinsidentally,  as the beagles and Tao exited, Lay arrived.

“Guys, you’re still here?” The bunny asked with an adorably confused face.

“We’re leaving now, but all of the stuff you need is in there.” Baekhyun explained, patting Lay’s head.

“Yeah, see you later Lay!” Chen gave Lay a quick head nuzzle before bouncing outside.

“Bye bye gege.” Tao mewed. He would have hugged Lay, but he was too preoccupied with finishing his half eaten container of strawberries. Lay waved to his friends before shutting the door closed.

“I’m back, Sehun.” Lay grinned as he reunited with his kitty. He set the bag of spices down and eyed the foods that were sitting on the counter.

“Great. Now you can help me out with this cake.” Sehun replied.

“Did the guys bring all this?”

“Yeah, they had literally everything we needed for the cheesecake.”

“I’ll start preparing the salmon so we can have it ready to start cooking. Then I help you with the cake.” The rabbit said, getting into his cooking mode. He grabbed his blue apron and tied it around his body in an instant. Sehun nodded. The kitten liked to be in charge, but there was no doubt that Lay was the master chef in the house. It wasn’t until the bunny was about to unwrap the fish that something important popped in Sehun’s mind.

“But wait, hyung.” Sehun said suddenly.

“Yes?”

“You…you don’t like meat.”

“Well, no I don’t.”

“So you probably wouldn’t want to hold the fish, right?” Sehun asked timidly. Lay paused for a second. Honestly, he really didn’t like handling any kind of meat. Despite only being half rabbit, meat just looked and smelled so unappealing to him that he barely ever so much as touched it unless he was feeding a non-herbivore hybrid.

“Well, I’d rather not, but…I...I’m fine doing it.” The rabbit said. “It’s for Suho after all.”

“Yeah, but…salmon doesn’t really take that long to cook. We can wait to make that.” Sehun said quietly, eyes now moving closer to the floor. “I could do it so you wouldn’t have to touch it.” It took the rabbit a few seconds to truly understand what Sehun was saying. He was actually offering to do something for Lay that he knew the other felt uncomfortable with. Was this really his Sehun? The guy who normally never outwardly expressed concern about his hyungs having to do things they didn’t really like?

“Thanks Sehun. That’s very nice of you.” Lay smiled. The rabbit decided to start work crushing the graham crackers to prepare the crust.

“Did the other guys help you at all?” Lay asked.

“Nothing other than bringing this food over.”

“Why didn’t you let them help you with anything?”

“Because I don’t need help. I can make a simple cake by myself.” Of course the cat wouldn’t tell his hyung the real reason why he didn’t want their friends’ assistance.

“I hope Suho likes this.” Lay said, checking on the rice.

“Why wouldn’t he. We’re making it, after all.” Sehun meowed in a rather snarky tone.

Lay sighed. “I don’t want him to like it just because we made it. I want him to like it because it’s really good.” Lay wasn’t normally one to worry about things like this, but he, like Sehun, also wanted this dinner for his hyung to be special.

“I’m sure he’ll love it, Lay. After all, you’re...a pretty good cook.” The cat wanted to say that his bunny was probably the best cook in the world, but he wasn’t in that good a mood. Maybe he’d tell him after dinner, when he was about to go to sleep (or already asleep) when he’d be more likely to miss it.

“I’m good, but I’m not great or anything. The crust is ready by the way.”

“Oh, good. That was fast.” Sehun immediately brought over the cream cheese mix and started layering it on top of the crust.

“Wow, you’re really good at this Sehun.” Lay commented. Sehun could already feel his face heating up. He wasn’t sure why the simple comment made him blush. Sure he liked getting praise from Lay (not that he’d ever admit to it), but this wasn’t even anything all that special. Lay was still the superior cook in every way.

“Uh well, I read up on the instructions a lot before we started so we wouldn’t have any issues.”

“That was good. You’re a smart kitty.” Lay added, caressing the kitten’s ears. Sehun had to do everything in his power not to start purring. But if Lay continued with his soothing petting, it was only a matter of time before it happened. Thus, Sehun decided to change the subject.

“C’mon, let’s stick this in the fridge and start the salmon.” The rainbow cat pulled away from the other slowly and put the cake in the refrigerator.

“Sure thing.” Lay agreed, grabbing the spices he purchased. Sehun brought over the plate holding the salmon.

“We should probably do more than one.” Lay said after noticing that Sehun had only taken out one slice of salmon.

“Huh? How come?”

“In case we mess one of them up, we’ll have some extra ones.” Lay explained. “Better to have extra rather than having to start from scratch if one doesn’t go too well.”

“Oh. Yeah, that makes sense.” Sehun said. Thus the boys decided to prepare 4 slices of fish. Any leftovers would simply become Sehun’s dinner for later. Lay gave the instructions while his kitty executed everything. It was clear that the younger boy truly had studied the recipes beforehand, for he was cooking like a pro without much need for Lay’s guidance.

“This is looking good.” Lay hummed. “I think they just need 2 more minutes and they’ll be good.”

“Ugh, finally. Geez, cooking takes way too long.” Sehun sounded like he was exhausted. He acted as if he’d just run a marathon when in actuality he’d been standing in place for about 15 minutes.

“Hm, maybe. But the results are worth it.” Lay chuckled.

“I guess.” Sehun shrugged. “C’mon, let’s get the rice out so we can get ready to serve this stuff.”

“Okay, let me just cut slice of cake for him.”

The boys eventually agreed on the best looking piece of salmon that would be served to Suho. They stored the rest in the fridge for Sehun to eat later. Lay decorated the cheesecake with the strawberries and frosting before cutting off a nice big slice for their owner. After getting everything ready and organized, the sound of a car pulling up sounded mere minutes later.

“He’s home! He’s back!” Sehun yelled. Lay immediately covered the boy’s mouth and brought a finger to his lips.

“Shhhh. Let’s plate everything.” The blue rabbit whispered. Sehun nodded. With some quick handiwork, the duo laid out a perfectly plated three course meal. Salmon beautifully resting on the bed of rice, with the small cheesecake on its own plate to the side.

“Looks nice.” Lay said, patting Sehun on the back. The quiet purring the vibrated in the kitty’s throat seemed to suggest that he agreed. Seconds later, the front door opened.

“Hey guys, I’m back.” Suho sang, cheerily. “I brought you guys some dinn…” The older man’s jaw dropped as soon as he saw his boys in the kitchen.

“SURPRISE!” The hybrids tackled their owner into a massive hug. He returned the hug, but it was clear that he was still in surprise mode.

“What’s all this?” He asked, eyes scanning the room.

“A present for you, hyung.” Lay said, kissing the man’s cheek.

“I…I mean, how come? Why me?” Suho asked, flustered from both surprise and the kiss.

“Nya, he must not want it.” Sehun meowed. “Guess we’ll just have to eat it.” Suho rolled his eyes at the kitty.

“We just wanted to thank you for being such a good owner.” Lay said, rubbing his thumb over Suho’s hand.

“Really? You two made this entire meal as thanks to me?” Suho seemed genuinely shocked. Almost as if he felt he was unworthy of such treatment.

“Of course, you’re the best owner ever.” Lay cooed, pulling the man in for another hug. “Right Sehunnie?”

“He’s…alright.” Lay glared at the kitten. “Yah, fine. He’s a really great owner. Now are you gonna eat this fish or not?” Sehun didn’t mean to sound bratty, but he really did want to know how the food tasted. He especially wanted Lay to hear from their owner how good of a cook he was.

“Only if the best pets in the world eat it with me~.” Suho replied.

“But…but it’s your special gift hyung.” Lay said, his adorable confused expression making its appearance on his face once more.

“Yeah, you should eat all of it.” Sehun pouted.

“It wouldn’t be right of me to not share with you guys.” Suho said, taking a seat. “After all, you worked so hard on it.”

“That’s why only you should eat it. We made it for you to enjoy, not us.” Sehun said. Suho was pleasantly surprised at his youngest’s maturity. Normally the boy would dive into any offered food, no questions asked. Now he was insisting that Suho eat an entire meal by himself, because he and Lay worked hard on his gift.

“Alright alright. But you guys have to eat the treats I brought back for you.”

“Oooooh, what did you bring us?” Sehun asked. Lay placed a hand on Sehun’s shoulder.

“Wait! Try your food first, hyung.” Lay suggested, looking at Sehun, mainly to see if he agreed with the suggestion.

“Huh, oh yeah. Try our cake, hyung.”

“Cake before the main dish?” Suho asked, perplexed.

“We put the most work into it.” Lay explained. Suho nodded and took his hybrids’ suggestion. The second the cake hit his taste buds, the man felt like he entered an entirely new world. The cake tasted fabulous.

“Oh my gosh. This is amazing!” Suho said.

“Really?” Both hybrids asked in unison.

“Yes. It’s perfect.” Suho hummed, putting more cake into his mouth. “Wow. This is probably the best cheesecake I’ve ever had.”

“Thank you, hyung!” Lay squealed in glee.

“No, thank you. This is great.” Suho finished his entire slice in seconds. “You have to give me the recipe for this.” Lay blushed. He was always happy to hear when others liked his cooking, and right now he was on cloud 9.

“Try and fish and rice now, hyung. Pleeeeeaaase~.” Sehun mewed.

“Sure, but get the goodies I brought home for you guys.”

“Oh yeah. What is it?” Lay asked. Sehun grabbed the two take out boxes Suho had set on the table previously. Upon opening them, the boys were delighted to see a lot of their favorite foods. Lay had a large and delicious looking Caser Salad, while Sehun had an entire plate full of different seafoods.

“This is great, Suho hyung!” Lay said, immediately diving into his food. “Thank you so much.”

“Yeah, this is delicious.” Sehun purred in agreement. “Not as good as our cooking though.”

“Well, I can’t argue with that.” Suho laughed, taking a bite out of the salmon and rice. “This is just perfect.”

“A perfect meal for out perfect owner~.” Lay hummed. Suho smiled. He couldn’t be any more grateful for having such wonderful, thoughtful pets.

“Thanks guys.”

“No problem, hyung.” The boys said in unison.


I have mixed feelings about this one. There are some parts I really like and others I feel could be better. Like I said in the last chapter, my enthusiaum has been ruing dry. I hope it was decent though.

Now for some more bad news. It is unfortunate, but I have to inform you all that there will be no Krisyeol mating in the final chapter. It wasn’t planned for the final chapter initially, but I know a lot of you wanted it so I wanted to include it, and believe me I tried. I tried to a week to write something decent for this, but I had to come to a realization, which is that I am not a writer. Some people are good at writing all genres, others are good with some and decent at others. I am one of those writers who is decent with one genre and totally awful with another. And I’d rather finish off the fic the way I planned initially than try to add something cringeworthy that would disappoint everyone.

So sorry everyone. Sorry for the misleading winky faces and messages that implied it would happen. I apologize for getting all of your hopes up. I really wanted to add it, but I’m not confident enough it my abilities to produce something worth reading and I don’t want to drag this fic on for longer than necessary. I really want to end it on a strong note, so I won’t be adding the mating. Sorry. I’m just glad I realized this sooner as opposed to later when the next update was supposed to happen and bum you all out. So if you want to skip out on the last chapter, you’re more than welcome to. Again I am sorry.