two

SPY

The first thing that came out of his mouth when he got his first ever mission after these long years was 'bull'. He thought he would be happy to finally got him some work in his hand, but this? He was expected to be an idol? What the hell was in Jiman's mind. How was being an idol would help North Korea to win against South? But then again, he didn't have a say in this. Once order was relayed, he had to do it.

          But, Cheolyong did wonder, what kind of life would idol lived in? For all those years he had pretended to be an ordinary teenager, of course he pretended to be interested in celebrities as well like other normal boys and he had heard some of his friends even went up to Seoul to test their luck for them to enter world of glamour and popularity. For now, no such luck.

          "Tomorrow, you will follow me to Seoul."

          Cheolyong's fake brother-in-law stared at the young agent with blank face. Though this new agent had came here not that long after Cheolyong became the 'family' member, Cheolyong had a feeling that this agent was good in his work. Once the order came, this man came back from Seoul right away, arranging for Cheolyong's participation into the entertainment world. And that also left Cheolyong to wonder... Why the hell was this man working in that field at the first place? What exactly in Jiman's mind? Even Bang Hyojin was sent to be an actress a few years back though she was still practically a sleeping agent.

          But Cheolyong didn't question. The rule was never to question. Just follow the order and if you failed, you died. But... There was one problem he couldn't seem to ignore.

          "I can't dance or sing." Cheolyong voiced out.

          The brother in law's lips corner crooked up a bit, most probably a smile. "I don't expect you to but I expect you to catch up fast. Aren't you supposed to be the most talented AD batch winner?" He smirked, even more amused at the death glare Cheolyong shot at him. "I can help you into the company but I can't help you debut. That is all on you." He informed.

          Cheolyong sighed and kept sighing even as it was already the day he went up to Seoul and was trudging behind his brother in law towards the practice room. The building was kind of pretty, Cheolyong liked it actually. Of course he would like it after spending times in countryside and dungeon-like death camp back in North Korea. This was luxury.

          "I'll leave you here."

          Cheolyong nodded once, not even care to glance at his fellow agent and proceeded to push past the two large wooden door. First thing Cheolyong picked up was the loud blasting music in the room, about seven boys and four girls dancing in front of the large mirror adorning the full width of one of the wall just across the entrance door. They danced with the beat and Cheolyong, for the first time in his life, actually felt impressed.

          "What are you doing standing there like a fool? Move!"

          Even if Cheolyong was surprised, he didn't show it. He looked over his shoulder. No one behind him. Naively, he pointed his own index finger to his chest.

          "Yes you rascal! Start dancing!" The buffy man shouted, angry.

          Cheolyong blinked. What? Dance? He didn't know how to! He thought he was going to get at least one session of dancing lesson... What should he do?

          As Cheolyong's eyes flew everywhere, he slowly stepped into the mass and tried to follow the dance move but ended up only flailing everywhere like a dying octopus yet he didn't stop moving. He kept trying despite how ridiculous he looked like. His mind could imagine the dance but his body couldn't follow.

          After the dreading four long hours of dance practice, or more like flailing along for Cheolyong, the dancing teacher finally left, but not before hurling insults at the group of trainees and Cheolyong collapsed by the wall, still very much confused. It was his first day and... What was he even doing here again? He blinked, looking around with adorable confused look on his face. What the hell was he even doing here?!

          "How are you holding up, new boy?"

          Cheolyong looked up when a boy just about his age stood towering over Cheolyong's sitting frame. Putting up his act again, Cheolyong laughed foolishly. "I'm just glad I didn't trip over and crash on all of you like some sort of human bowling ball."

          The boy chuckled and flopped down beside Cheolyong. "I heard you're here because of your connection with the CEO."

          Cheolyong rose his brow. "Yeah, I am. Why? Is that any problem?"

          The boy offered Cheolyong a friendly smile. "Nope. It's cool. But that's how I think. But for them..." The boy tilted his chin slightly at the other trainees. "I can't say for sure. By the way, I'm Sangbae."

          "I'm-"

          "Cheolyong. I know."

          "Woah dude. Are you my stalker?" Cheolyong joked and laughed with Sangbae.

          "Chingu, your name is quite hard to pass by."

          "Hey! My name is cute!" Cheolyong defended, pouting. "Don't insult my cute name."

          "Yea yea. As cute as the owner." Sangbae ruffled Cheolyong's brown hair. "I was actually hoping you would be the maknae." He sighed.

          "Huh?"

          "I'm a bit younger than you." Sangbae admitted. "And hyungs won't stop harassing me just because I'm the maknae here." He whined.

          Cheolyong laughed. "Omo. You need to call me hyung then."

          "Hey, just by few months okay! Plus, I need a friend." He cutely smiled at Cheolyong.

          "Friend?"

          "Yeah. Friend. Best friend." Sangbae draped one arm around Cheolyong, thumping his head against Cheolyong softly.

          First day and Cheolyong had made a new friend...

          Disgusting...

 

##########

 

Cheolyong bowed over the toilet, hurling out the content of his stomach. Disgusting. Very disgusting...

          Yet... It was warm...

          "Cheolyong! Are you okay?"

          Sangbae's voice came from the other side of the cubicle, a few knocks on the door followed after. Worries were clear on his voice and Cheolyong hated how goosebumps trailed down his skin at that tender concern he could clearly heard. Too warm... He needed to feel cold.

          "Yeah! I'm fine! Just go on first. I'll be there later." Cheolyong replied and he assumed Sangbae had left since there were only silence that followed after. Cheolyong let out a deep long sigh, flushing the toilet and closing his eyes. Behind his closed eyelids, he played back the moments when he was still at the camp back in North Korea. He played back the memories, trying to find back the joy he found from fighting back then. Joy from killing. Joy from being on his own. The only form of joy he knew.

          That was right. That... Just felt familiar. That felt like home. That felt more like him. Not this goofy image that was starting to stick all over him like the second skin. He needed to remind himself. He wasn't this Bang Cheolyong that wasn't supposed to exist in the first place. He was a nameless killer. A subject with no feeling. A subject who was programmed to carry out order. Yes... That was him.

          Feeling like he had gotten his own thoughts back in place, Cheolyong stepped out of the cubicle calmly only to be surprised by Sangbae who was actually still there, fidgeting nervously outside the cubicle with a concern look on his face. Once their eyes met, Cheolyong didn't manage to take a step further when the other had approached him first and engulfed him into a warm embrace, soft hand caressing his hair and patting the small of his back, comfortingly, soothingly.

          And all Cheolyong could do was trying his best to hide his cringe.

          He never expect a mission to be so hard...

 

###########

 

Sangbae patted Cheolyong's back as they walked along the hallway. It was still painfully obvious how concerned Sangbae was over Cheolyong as he kept his eyes on Cheolyong and never let too much distance created between them.

          Cheolyong chuckled, pushing on Sangbae's side a bit so the other moved away from his personal space. "If you stick too close to me, people is going to think you're growing gay on me."

          Despite Cheolyong's joke, as if Sangbae was tied with a rubber band, he bounced back to the place so close to Cheolyong and his hand again find its place on Cheolyong's back.

          "Seriously, go away!" This time, instead of pushing Sangbae, Cheolyong made to pull away.

          "I can't! I don't want those people to pick on you again!" Sangbae whine and trotted after Cheolyong and kept himself close.

          Cheolyong rolled his eyes. "You can still protect me from far, can't you?"

          Sangbae blinked and seemed to think over Cheolyong's words but then he shrugged and drapped one arm over Cheolyong's shoulder. "But I feel like I can't protect you from yourself if I don’t stick close."

          "What are you even rambling about?"

          Sangbae shrugged once. "I don't know. More than those idiots trainees who bullied you because of jealousy, I think that you have something more that is bothering you. Something you refuse to share with me. I'm worried."

          Cheolyong stiffened and his steps halted, bringing Sangbae to a stop as well. Cheolyong squinted his eyes to Sangbae. "What do you know?"

          Sangbae sighed. "See. You're always get so defensive whenever I try to bring this subject up."

          "I'm not." Cheolyong denied easily, crossing his arms across his chest. "And those idiot trainees you're talking about didn't pick on me out of jealousy. They just didn't think I fit here and that if not for my brother in law, I wouldn't have the slightest chance to get into this company." Cheolyong inhaled. "Who can blame them?"

          There was disapproval frown on Sangbae's face and he opened his mouth to protest but he was cut short with another voice echoed through the hallway.

          "Right… So the rich brat does know his worth huh?"

          Sangbae's eyes gradually emitted hostile glare as Cheolyong turned around slowly on his heels to meet the three faces of the trainees who kept on making life hard on Cheolyong. Cheolyong stepped back slowly until he was standing close to Sangbae despite his early complaint of Sangbae intruding his personal space. Not that he was scared but ugh… He still need to stay in character.

          "Of course we're not jealous." One of the trio who seemed to act like the leader of the small pack, approached the duo closer until they were stood in front of the duo, his lips curled into mocking snicker. "We're just simply stating the truth. Talentless bastard like you shouldn't have been here while such a good dancer and better rapper like Minki got kicked out instead of you." He hissed at the end of his sentence. "You got him kicked out through your connection with the company didn't you." He accused.

          "Hey!" Sangbae exclaimed, taking a step forward and shading Cheolyong behind him. "Minki got himself kicked out because he tried to poison Cheolyong!"

          "Oh come on! A little laxative is not poison!" The one standing on the right rolled his eyes as if what Minki, former trainee of this company who got sacked, had done wasn't a crime.

          "If he's that much of a great rapper and if he is better than Cheolyong, then why did he have to stoop that low? Using that dirty trick like that." Sangbae spat. "Even I won't admit him as fellow rapper. He's embarrassing himself."

          The leader growled and threw unsuspecting punch, hitting Sangbae square on the cheek and the impact and the abruptness of the attack sent the unguarded Sangbae down on the floor, the corner of his lips burst and blood trickled down his chin.

          "And using family connection to get a place here is not a dirty trick?" The leader yelled in rage.

          Cheolyong gasped and kneeled by Sangbae's side, helping the dizzy boy to sat up slightly, cupping Sangbae's cheeks and proceeded to inspect the injuries. Cheolyong gritted his teeth and threw a glare at the three jerks. "Don't think I'll let this go easily!" He threatened.

          The trio looked at each other before the malice came even stronger from them. "What you're going to do? Go running and crying into your brother in law's arms and get me fired like you did to Minki?"

          Cheolyong stood up, his fists clenching by his side. "Oh hell I will! And not just you. I'll get all three of you thrown out of here! You said it yourselves aren't you that I'm able to do that?" Cheolyong lip's curled into crooked mocking smile. "Let's see if I can actually do that and you think you'll get away from this?" Cheolyong glanced shortly at Sangbae who was still on the floor, holding his bruising jaw. "This is assault and I'll make sure the police got involved and you know when that happened what kind of fate will there be for you guys." Cheolyong advanced slowly, threateningly. "I'll make sure no other companies will take in scumbags like three of you." He seethed.

          The three boys seemed shaken for a second but only a second before their expression turned dark knowing there was no turning back for them if Cheolyong really did what he just said. "Then, I'll make sure the same fate befall on you as well. Grab him!" With that order, the other two went and each held Cheolyong's arms, immobilizing Cheolyong even with Cheolyong trying to struggle his way out. Snickering, the leader of the small pack took out a lighter. "What if we burn that pretty face of yours? Not only the stage, you won't even be able to step out of the house. And while hacking your face, I might get clumsy and burned your tongue as well so you couldn't rap again and be all smartmouth on me." He laughed darkly.

          "Stop it!" Sangbae tried to stop the incoming disaster when one of the boys holding Cheolyong went back to hold Sangbae back.

          Cheolyong, seriously considering to use his trained strength to teach some lesson into these people but… No! He couldn't risk breaking out of his character. But if he got himself burned, he'll fail the mission to be an idol! And while he was pondering between the two choices, he felt the heat came closer to his face but it was only for a moment when suddenly a hand snatched the lighter away.

          "Are you seriously wanting a life behind bars?" Byunghee, if Cheolyong wasn't mistaken, gazed at the flustered leader of the small gang and raised one brow inquiringly. "Because seriously, I won't stop you this time." He said and tossed the lighter back to the leader who caught it clumsily. "Let me tell you first that doing this not only will erase the chance of you ever becoming an idol, you can't even live a normal life of law-abiding citizen. But if you prefer life inside the prison, yea, with all the free food and free shelter, please, by all means, continue." He stepped aside, giving way to the jerk to continue his deed.

          Cheolyong brows rose high as he stared at Byunghee. He wasn't that close to this older boy since it wasn't that long since Byunghee joined the troop of trainees in this company but he would never expect this poker face singer was sly and manipulative. Interesting…

          "Ouch!"

          A squeaked of pain call Cheolyong's attention to Sangbae and saw his friend was already released from one of the jerk and that little minion of the bullies was now being held by another trainee wearing wifebeater and muscles rippling his arms, scaring the poor minion in his grasp.

          "Oh, Changsun. Joining us?" Byunghee smiled sweetly, winking at the boy still holding one of the bullies.

          "Yea… I hate these kind of people." He grumbled, pushing the minion until the boy fall flat on the floor.

          "Let's go boys." The leader of the bullies finally spoke out and the three of them scrambled away, but not without spiteful final words that they would eventually get Cheolyong back for this which made Cheolyong rolling his eyes inside.

          "Are you okay?" Byunghee asked, eyes peering all over Cheolyong to make sure the younger was not injured.

          "Yeah, thanks." Cheolyong gave the older a grateful smile before going back to Sangbae. Changsun had already taken out a tissue and pressed it on the wounded lips. "Sangbae… I'm sorry…" Cheolyong muttered, looking down guiltily. "We have to take profile photo tomorrow and they did this to your face. It's all my fault."

          "Nah… Don't mind it. I'm just furious I couldn't hit them back for you." Sangbae patted on Cheolyong's shoulder. "We should tell the company representative about them. They're stepping out of the line today and I'm afraid that they might really do something to you."

          "No need, I think. If I did that, then the other trainees will resent me just like they did right now because of the case with Minki." Cheolyong shook his head no.

          "I think Sangbae is right." Byunghee interrupted.

          "Yea, I agree. I don't want to practice with people like this in my group." Changsun added.

          "And last time, it was me who rat Minki out, not you. Yet, they still picked on you." Sangbae said and it seemed that the confession slightly surprised both Byunghee and Changsun.

          "They don't have to know that. It's enough that I'm the only one they're giving hard time, I don't want you to get picked on too." Cheolyong said. "And about those three. Don't think too much about them." Cheolyong assured. "Let's get your wound treated first and maybe the bruise will fade by tomorrow so we can take the profile picture." Cheolyong started pushing Sangbae forward, walking together with both Byunghee and Changsun. He discretely threw final glance down the hallway where the trio had gone to and his eyes turned cold just like his eyes 15 years ago. Those people just woke a sleeping lion up.