sixteen

SPY

Cheolyong waited silently on the roof, his cold eyes gazed down from his position on the roof of the eighteen level building. He was balancing right on the railing, looking calm with his hand crossed in front of his chest and he tensed slightly when he saw the one he had been waiting for, he took out something from his back. It was a black hawkeye bow, with an arrow that had a rope tied on it. Cheolyong stretched it onto the string, aiming it on the water tube that ran across the ground floor. He took a deep breath and held until he released the arrow.

          With a shivering sound of arrow cutting the night air, Cheolyong watched carefully as it reached the destination and hit into the tube. He tugged onto the rope that connected him to the arrow. Fastening his thick glove over his hand, he tied the rope onto the railing and took out a metal cuff and put it over the rope. Since his right hand was still bandaged and still throbbing, he used his better hand to hold tightly onto the cuff.

          Without noise, he kicked his feet from the railing and let his body slide down diagonally with nice speed from the roof towards the ground, reaching the ground with a run until he halted.

          Once he was on the empty street, he took out the arrow, smirking at how the water running inside the tube now flowing through the crack hole he had made, someone's home would have no water supply for tonight, and lit up a fire on the end of the rope. The fire ran fast towards the roof, leaving no evidence except for some questionable ashes that would be wiped away by the wind and the rain.

          Turning around, he pulled out another arrow, this time smaller, and seemed thinner compared to the arrow from before and he fired it in the direction of a slick red ferrari that was leaving. He put back the hawkeye bow onto his back and took out his cellphone, turning it on. The arrow had sticked well onto the car and GPS receiver had been attached on the arrow and it had been transmitted as the blinking red circle inside the blueray map displayed on the screen.

          Taking his time, he had moved back into the shadow, determining where his target had left torward and follow the map indication without rushing until half an hour later, he reached a pub.

          Humming to himself, he went towards a hidden alley and watched upwards of the wall entrapping him until he saw a light coming from a small window a few meter higher than his own height. Taking a few distance back deeper into the dark alley, he loosened his leg muscles a bit before sprinting with his full speed, heading straight to the wall and just before he hit the wall, he angled his leg upwards and he literally ran upwards on the wall and without losing his momentum until he reached the small window and only then he let gravity pulled downwards again but not before having his fingers wrapped onto the windowsill.

          And now, his body was dangling on the wall and with the strength of his arms, he lifted up his whole weight until he could peer through the window. As he suspected, it was the window that lead him to the toilet inside the pub. He saw a few man by the sink, washing their hands and fixing their hair and waited until the toilet was empty and only then he let his slender body pass through the small opening of the window, releived that he had been losing his weight these few months though he was still a bit stuck at his . No problem. A few struggles and he was inside the bathroom, landing in a crouched position before entering one of the toilet cubicle to changed out of his uniform and into his more casual clothes.

          He shoved all of his uniform and his bow inside the slingbag he brought with him, jiggling his throbbing hand a bit.

          Waltzing out of the toilet like any other visitors of this club, Cheolyong didn't mix up with these other people who was busy dancing even with a lot of them trying to hit on Cheolyong but the MBLAQ maknae was not fazed and made his way towards the bar counter, surprised that the bartender who attended him was a very beautiful woman.

          "What's your poison?" She asked with a smirk on his face.

          "What would you recommended?" Cheolyong wore the same smirk on his face, leaning across the counter with his eyes watching the lady with interest. Definitely older than him but he didn't mind older woman. Plus, that was not exactly what was in his mind.

          "Hmm… A big responsibility you give me here." She joked and let out a set of soft chuckles before returning to the racks of drinks behind her, taking out four bottles that caught her eyes, popping up all of the cap of the bottle with clear sound over the blasting music of this pub and mixed them together, putting a few show before putting the final product in front of Cheolyong. "Your drink. It's called truth serum."

          Cheolyong flashed a lopsided smile, taking the glass but didn't take a sip, he kept his eyes on the woman who in turn return his steely gaze until one of them moved. It was the woman, taking one of the bottle and tried to hit Cheolyong with it but Cheolyong was not an easy opponent. He used the glass he had been holding and the glass bottle and his small glass met a few times with loud clank until Cheolyong managed to catch the woman's wrist. "Shh… Easy…" He cooed as he twisted the slender arm to her back, pinning her against the racks.

          The other bartenders were ready to fight back when Cheolyong smashed the still full glass inside his hand against the counter and took the largest sharp shard, pointing it to the woman's neck who had now being his captive. "Just tell me where he is. And I'm not going to kill all of you." He spoke with malice.

          "What are you talking about?" The woman gasped as she felt the glass sank a millimeter inside her neck getting closer and closer to her main carotid artery.

          "Opps~ Sorry my hand slipped. My bad" Cheolyong chuckled darkly.

          The other bartenders exchanged look, they didn't want the other clients to get panic once they realized what was happening behind the counter so three of them went to usher other customers out without bringing much attention to Cheolyong and their friend. Even the DJ had stopped the music, leaving only the fancy lights still on with the green tint from the light by the bar counter.

          "What's going on here." A man climbed down a spiral stairs leading from the room upstairs towards the side of the club and walked until he reached the bar counter, brows rose up at the sight of Cheolyong holding his employee captive and it seemed that the young man knew he was the boss around here as he noticed the tense look on Cheolyong's features. "What a surprise that you're here." He let out a smile, smoothing almost half of the wrinkles on his aged features. "Bang Cheolyong. Jiman's greatest creation." He stepped closer but seeing Cheolyong pressing the shard deeper into his captive's neck, the old man raised his hand up, assuring he won't approach them through his gesture.

          "Which side are you on?" Cheolyong asked, his voice cold and void of feeling.

          "What about you?" The old man asked back, fixing his emerald green suit. "North or South?"

          Cheolyong snickered. "Neither."

          "Cheolyong-ah."

          Cheolyong darted his eyes to a figure that had just ran down the stairs now standing behind the old man in suit. The one he had tracked until he reached this nest.

          "And you?" Cheolyong glared at Jinwoon. "Which side are you on?" He asked, almost hissing.

          "Calm, child…"

          "I am calm." Cheolyong spat. "Who are you? Agent of South?"

          The old man exchanged a look with Jinwoon and nodded to the younger boy as Jinwoon stepped forward. "I didn't work with South, Cheolyong. They were part of Ruby."

          "WHAT? YOU ING WORK WITH PEOPLE WHO KILLED OUR FAMILY?" Cheolyong barked, anger rose in his being.

          "No! Cheolyong! Listen first! I said they were part of the Ruby. They haven't been since a long time ago. These people are those who had been abandoned by North, betrayed but what so called great country. And these people want nothing but against what North want. Cheolyong…" Jinwoon held out his hand, palm facing the ceiling. "Won't you trust me?"

          Cheolyong sighed, letting go the woman in his hold as he looked around, conviced that none of these people would hurt him but he didn't take Jinwoon's hand. "Those congressman people we capture and send on a boat. Who are they?"

          "They are those undercover agents that North had put inside South. To take over politic of South from inside. We… have been sending those undercovers back to North. To the president."

          Cheolyong scoffed. "So, basically you are provoking the North head up. And I'm supposed to be the crazy one between us."

          "Child. What we did… It's indirectly for South as well. We haven't done nothing wrong." The old man spoke. "And if you come to our side, we would-"

          Cheolyong burst into loud laugh, stopping the old man and Jinwoon looked towards his friend in concern, somehow already knew what that laughter meant.

          "Join you? Really? Are you ting me?" Cheolyong laughed again as if it was the funniest thing he ever heard.

          "Why? We're working against North and at the same time, we're protecting South." Jinwoon snapped, stepping closer to Cheolyong.

          Cheolyong inhaled and exhaled until his laughter ceased down, leaving a few chuckles behind. "You guys are weak." He spoke coldly. "I don't work with weaklings."

          "Cheolyong!" Jinwoon grabbed onto Cheolyong's shoulder. "Remember what I told you? When the time comes, I won't let you make the wrong decision? I still won't let you!"

          Cheolyong harshly shrugged those hands off of him. "Right or wrong, it's my decision. My life, my decision, my right. No one can tell me what to do. Now… Tell me, Jinwoon. Tell me honestly, have you killed anyone in your life?"

          "W-What? I-I…" Jinwoon hesitated.

          "Let me give you the answer. You haven't. Not once! You're such a sissy even since when we're under training. My aim is to kill those people who have taken my life away from me. I want to watch them suffer till and bow down by my parents' grave. You… Can you kill them for me? For the first time in your life, would you kill someone?" At the silence of Jinwoon, Cheolyong smirked. "You're weak, Jinwoon. If you can't even do that to avenge our parents, then this revenge is mine to carry and mine alone."

          "Cheolyong…" Jinwoon whispered, feeling tears betraying himself. Just showing how weak he was exactly, just proving what Cheolyong had said.

          "I can't trust you anymore Jinwoon. You lied to me. Who knows if you will again in the future. I don't need a friend. Especially not someone as weak as you." Cheolyong walked past Jinwoon, intentionally bumping his shoulder into Jinwoon.

          Cheolyong couldn't step further when he felt Jinwoon's fingers curled around his wrist, holding him back.

          "I said it before. I don't care if you think we're not friend. I still think of you as my friend. My precious friend."

          It took Cheolyong his whole strength to keep his face smooth as if he was unfazed by those words. But he did. That words clenched around his heart like a strong grip and dig inside him like a sharp long claws.

          If he was being honest to himself, he was more hurt that Jinwoon didn't trust him enough to tell him the truth but at the same time, he knew, this was for the best.

          Jinwoon and him were different. He had long drown inside the dirt and sin. He blend with darkness as if it was his life essence. He wouldn't flich if he had to take a person's life but Jinwoon… He still had that innocence inside him despite have been forced into living this kind of life. Jinwoon shouldn't have let himself being tainted with such sin. Jinwoon still had a chance to get out of this dark life and finally live under the sun. He hadn't still cross the line.

          At least… For the least, he wanted to spared Jinwoon from crossing that line. Killing people, won't make you the same anymore. He knew. Because he had long being on the other side of the line, living with his own monster.

          Jinwoon didn't have to know that. This way it was easier. Let Jinwoon believed he had never change that he was still the cold blooded AD105. Let Cheolyong be the only one to carry this burden.

          "Cheolyong-shi." The old man spoke out. "If you change your mind, we will be here waiting."

          "No, I won't." Cheolyong said coldly, professionally masking his real feeling. "I am different from all of you." His eyes stabbed onto Jinwoon before he turned and left without turning back anymore. There was no turning back for him no more.

          I am different. I am already a monster…

 

#######################

 

          "You're the one who hurt him, weren't you?" Seungho stomped into Hongman's study room and yelled once his eyes landed on Seunghyun who had bandage over his slightly bruised face. He charged toward the taller man and grabbed him by collar. "I didn't ing told you to confront him!" He barked.

          Seunghyun scoffed, pushing Seungho harshly from him. "Hey. At least we all know who he is. The real him. A spy from North. You're taking too much time already!" He mocked. "Why are you still protecting him? He's not who he said he is. He's a spy. A murderer. Someone we need to arrest."

          "That's not your right!" Seungho stabbed his index finger on Seunghyun's chest. "You are supposed to investigate about the silver car, not attacking Cheolyong!"

          Seunghyun sighed. "Is Cheolyong even his real name?" His word came down like a pain of cold water.

          That shut Seungho up though his face was bright red with anger since he got to know from Wonbin on how exactly Cheolyong got injured that night. But he was more angry with himself because now, there was no room to doubt. Cheolyong, his maknae, was not who he said he is. Cheolyong was a spy. An agent from North… Someone he needed to-

          "Sit down everyone." Hongman ordered from his position at his table. "I won't repeat myself." He added and Seunghyun and Seungho slowly pulled a chair each one and sat facing Hongman, Seungho chose to sit beside Wonbin as he didn't know what he would do to Seunghyun if they sat too close. Hongman inhaled slowly and deeply, leaning back into his chair. "You did wrong, Seunghyun." He said.

          "But, I confirmed our suspicion!" Seunghyun defended.

          "When I gave this job to you guys, I expect you guys to work in team. If you left your own mission to pursue others, even if you succeeded, it is still wrong." Hongman explained. "Do you remember why I didn't involve the government official military in this mission? Remember the reason why I gave order to all of you secretly?"

          "Because if government knew about these people, I mean the spies, they will give no chance to them and you want to save them." Seungho recited obediently. And I want to protect what is precious to me.

          Hongman nodded approvingly. "Seunghyun. I never taught you to hate them. And you wouldn't have if only you know what had turned them into what they are now. Why kind of losses and what kind of suffering they have been put into. They are pitiful people. And if we can, we should help them."

          "You're letting your emotion clouding your judgement." Seunghyun shot.

          "Seunghyun!" Wonbin warned and Seunghyun looked away stubbornly but kept his mouth shut. "I'm sorry, Sir, Seungho… I'm supposed to watch over this brat. It got out of hand. He still have young blood. I hope you let this pass. I promise it won't repeat again."

          "You better! I won't keep quiet if this repeat again. Leave Cheolyong to me. And don't interfere in my job." Seungho shot a death glare to both Seunghyun and Wonbin.

          Wonbin nodded, his hand went to hold Seunghyun back when he felt the latter tried to protest. "And about the silver car…" He changed the topic, taking out an Ipad from his jacket pocket and handed it to Seungho. "It was found the next day after that small incident with Cheolyong-shi."

          "Meaning?" Seungho asked.

          "I am not accusing but… Could it be… Cheolyong who is the one who did this? Both men inside the car are found dead from gunshot wound and the bullet inside their head is a custom made. I don't think we have it in South." He took out a plastic bag and there was a small chip inside it. "When we found the bodies, one of them was cut opened and so we did the same to the other one and we found this planted in their organ near the heart."

          Seungho took the evidence. He stared at the advance technology before nodding to himself. "Let me figure this one out. I got some idea about it. It seem like GPS tracking device." He put the evidence into his jacket pocket and turned back to face Wonbin. "Have you checked their identities?" Seungho asked, not commenting on their accusation on the MBLAQ maknae.

          "Like any other spies we dealed with. Nothing on their record. All clean and ordinary except that there is always some doubt in their childhood." Wonbin continued. "But… It's weird. Why would they kill each other?" He mused, his chin in thought.

          "Don't just assume things. Do you have any evidence to say Cheolyong is the one who did this?" Seungho challenged, angry that they kept on degrading Cheolyong just because Cheolyong is one of the Ruby.

          Wonbin blinked, looked slightly surprised but was quick to shook his head. "You're right. I'm sorry. And another thing. We found them. We found Hyojin-shi and the little boy." He informed.

          "You did? Why didn't you tell me earlier?" Seungho shot up from his seat. "Where are they?"

          "Hyojin is in the interrogation room. We left Hajin with the other officers." Hongman interrupted.

          Seungho rushed to the door. They are still alive!

          Running through the hallway, ignoring the look that he got from his co-workers, he ran until the end of the hallway and towards the only investigation room where no one would use without Hongman's permission.

          Inhaling deeply, he opened the door, eyes instantly finding Hyojin sitting in the middle of the room. Her hands cuffed behind the chair she was sitting in. Her eyes were closed and her breathing was calm. Almost as if she was meditating.

          Frowning, Seungho stepped closer. He didn't say anything even when he was now standing facing her across the table, waiting for her to look up at him on her own. And when she did, he almost believe Hyojin didn't even recognize him. There was no look of surprise on her face. She was only staring at him blankly.

          "Hyojin-ah." Seungho called softly.

          Hyojin smirked, lowering her head again and closing her eyes yet again, ignoring Seungho's presence.

          "Hyojin." He called again. "Hyojin. Look at me." He requested, just as softly as he had since first.

          "Why should I look at you? So you can gloat on how you have deceived my brother and my whole family?" Hyojin finally spoke but her voice cold and monotone, inducing shiver along Seungho's spine.

          "Deceive?" Seungho scoffed. "And what about you? What about Cheolyong? Who is deceiving who?"

          "I don't want to talk. You can't make me."

          "Hyojin." Seungho leaned forward, his palms flat on the table, supporting upper half of his body. "I need to know everything so I can help Cheolyong."

          Still refusing to open her eyes, Hyojin snickered. "Why do you want to help a North spy, officer?"

          "Hyojin…" Seungho warned lowly, he didn't like Hyojin calling him that way.

          "We're spies, officer. What else you wanted to know?" Hyojin looked up, her eyes sharp and menacing. "Do you want to know how far we had infested this country? How much longer will it take until South fall apart?" Hyojin sighed, leaning back onto the chair. "I can tell you everything but I doubt you would believe me."

          "Try me."

          Hyojin inhaled, her eyes capturing Seungho's and her stare was steady and confident. "My family and I are not working for North. We're not Ruby."

          "Then for who?" Seungho pulled the chair, sitting down with curious eyes.

          "For Jiman."

          Seungho's brows slowly met before he shook his head slightly. Jiman… He heard that exact name a lot from Hongman. And as far as he knew, Jiman was the general in North military. "But Jiman work for North. Isn't it the same?"

          "Jiman has never been part of South." Hyojin said, her guts telling her Seungho would trust her but she need to know something first. "Hajin. Can you please leave Hajin out of this mess? He's just a child. He knows nothing about the war."

          "Hajin is like my own son, Hyojin-ah. Just as if Cheolyong just like my own brother. I need you to trust me." Seungho pleaded.

          Hyojin smiled, this time not a sneer, not a smirk but a genuine smile, a smile of that cheerful bright noona of Cheolyong. A smile belong to Bang Hyojin. "I trust you oppa." She said sincerely. "But not people around you." Her eyes flickered towards the monitoring mirror on the wall before she closed her eyes again and entered her own secluded world inside her mind.

           This time, she didn't answer to Seungho anymore.