nineteen

SPY

Sorry I took too much time but I'm struggling with this story and studies hehe

 

Cheolyong walked down the street with his luggage over his shoulder. He had one destination in mind but his journey was halted when he found his way being blocked by none other than Jinwoon.

          They stood there, in the middle of the pedestrian walkway, pausing and only staring at each other, completely ignoring the other pedesterian having to maneuver their way around these two lads.

          "Have a minute?" Jinwoon asked after quite a long silence.

          "Sure." Cheolyong answered, seemingly Jinwoon didn't expect him to agree easily considering the look of surprise flashed across Jinwoon's features. Cheolyong walked forwards and past Jinwoon, heading towards a bench slightly away from the public and sat there, looking expectingly at Jinwoon whom followed his footsteps a few seconds later. "Get straight to the point." Cheolyong demanded.

          "Jiman is here." Jinwoon blurted out. "In Seoul." He continued when there wasn't any reaction coming from Cheolyong, not even a little bit surprised at this information, which could only meant Cheolyong already knew and maybe… "Did you meet him already?" He asked, dumbfounded when Cheolyong simply nodded. "What did he do to you? Did he hurt you? How did you escape from him?"

          "No. He came here to finish it once and for all." Cheolyong repeated what Jiman had told him.

          "What does he mean by that?" Jinwoon looked utterly confused, his brows creased in questioning manner. He didn't get it at all.

          "You don't have to know about it." Cheolyong said, his eyes were never turned in Jinwoon's direction. His eyes seemed far even if he was right there with the other lad.

          Jinwoon couldn't take it anymore. He knew something wasn't right. Well, nothing was ever right in their kind of life but this time, his heart quenched. As if something bad was coming and from the faraway look in Cheolyong's eyes, he could tell, Cheolyong knew whatever it is that was causing Jinwoon to feel bad. "Cheolyong. What is he planning?" He inquired.

          "Just… An end." Cheolyong leaned his back on the bench. "Do you know that Jiman has a son?"

          "What?" Jinwoon gaped in surprise. Well, Jiman was at the age to have his own family but he never would able to imagine a man like Jiman to actually have a family. A son even.

          "He said he want to redeem his mistake for us and his son too. I wonder…" Cheolyong let out a long sigh. He wondered if he made the right decision but then again, the plan was quite tempting and of all people, only Jiman would have the ability to carry it out and it was a chance Cheolyong didn't want to let go. Him alone, would never able to change anything, not in a hundred years. And even if this was really a trap, he would use it against them.

          "I don't like this. Cheolyong, what did he say? What are you going to do? What is he making you do?" Jinwoon took a hold on Cheolyong's shoulder, shaking the smaller boy a bit in an attempt to bring the distraught boy back to present. Back to him. That bad feeling was bugging him too much.

          Cheolyong wore a frown on his face as his eyes focused on Jinwoon. He clicked his tongue and warned the other, "I told you this is none of your concern. Whatever I will do, it's my decision. I don't want to have anything to do with you anymore." He slapped away Jinwoon's hands from him and stood up, looking down at Jinwoon. "This should be the last time we meet. If you seek me again, don't blame me if I have to kill you."

          Cheolyong gave one last cold glare and made his way, leaving Jinwoon behind without turning back again. He was hoping he had act good enough for Jinwoon to believe him and finally hate him and let him did this alone.

          He was wrong. Jinwoon stood up, watching as Cheolyong left with determined eyes. He remembered what Cheolyong once said about lies being part of their life. "This is just another lie, isn't it?" He asked quietly even when Cheolyong already far from him. He the opposite way, away from Cheolyong and walked on, digging his hands into his jacket pocket. "I won't be deceived." He whispered, eyes turning sharper than before.

          Whatever Cheolyong was planning, there was no way he could exclude Jinwoon out of that plan for Jinwoon is far more persistant than Cheolyong would have ever thought he would.

 

##############

 

Cheolyong walked up the abandoned building at the end of the city. It was conveniently quite isolated despite the noisiest town, Hongdae located only a few kilometers down the road. It was an old deserted half-finished four-storey building. A perfect place to have someone killed.

          A perfect graveyard.

          In Cheolyong's hand was the box of the set of chess he had brought from MBLAQ dorm. He opened the box, there were only the white pieces inside. The other half, the black pieces were not in there. He took out the pieces one by one, placing it one on each of the windowsills on the ground floor and proceeded to climb the stairs to reach the first floor, not forgetting to put a knight piece on the floor and went to arrange few more pieces around the first floor randomly. He did that to all of the other floor until he was on the top level, looking down in the box. There was only left a white king inside the box.

          Taking out the pieces, he held it in his palm, his gaze held a lot of stories as he stared down at the last piece, his fingers closing aroung the white king. "Soon…" He whispered, leaning against the windowsill without any window, feeling the breeze sweeping his long brown locks that he had to comb them behind with his fingers. Yet his fingers gripped strongly around the chess pieces and his eyes drifted to the outside, watching the waving trees and the blue sky and listening to the sound of nature. It's weird how similar the nature is wherever you go, be it South or North.

          Soon, this will end…

 

###############

 

Changsun was in rage. He didn't notice it at first but when he was rushing out for his next schedule, he reminded himself to at least take a look inside Byunghee's and Sanghyun's room and while rushing back and forth at the hallway, only then he realized the door to Cheolyong's room was not completely closed. He didn't wait long to figure everything out, knowing one person in the group who was and still the most attached to the maknae of MBLAQ.

          "What the hell? He was here?" Changsun shouted once he somehow managed to get that information out of Byunghee.

          Byunghee looked apathic as he only nodded once, not even affected by the fury of the dancer. He was quite in his own world after his encounter with Cheolyong, feeling this one large hole forming inside his heart. Feeling like he had lost the maknae.

          "You should have called Seungho hyung! Why didn't you?" Changsun asked, trying to calm himself down but seeing as Byunghee kept his poker face on, not even looking back at him, he stomped out of the main vocalist's room and slammed the door behind him.

          The noises must have disturbed Sanghyun as the younger boy timidly propped his head only from behind the door to his room, looking around in curiosity. "Hyung?" He called when he saw Changsun breezed past him with red angry face. Still curious, he shuffled after Changsun but stopped himself as he saw Changsun was talking into the phone and from bits and pieces, he knew it was Seungho on the other line.

          "Yea, I'm not sure. He won't tell further. You should come back home and check if maybe Cheolyong left any trace you can use." Changsun mumbled into the phone, but paused when he felt a tap on his shoulder and turned to see Sanghyun looking at him anxiously.

          "Actually, hyung…" Sanghyun started, his eyes darted everywhere, on the wall, on the floor, on his own feet and finally back to the older male.

          Changsun raised one brow expectingly, whispering to Seungho to give him a minute and put the phone slightly away from his ear to focus on the younger boy.

          "Actually, I know Cheolyong was here." Sanghyun blurted out almost quickly.

          "Wha-"

          "Before you shout, let me explain first." Sanghyun cut Changsun off, watching the flaming red colored the older's face. "When we reached home, I already noticed the door to Cheolyong's room was not completely closed, so I went inside when you went to Byunghee hyung. I saw a bag on the bed. And…" Sanghyun paused, reaching out his hand as if he want something.

          Changsun tilted his head slightly before looking back at his phone, finally understanding what Sanghyun meant and gave his phone with Seungho still on the other line to Sanghyun. He waited and listen as Sanghyun spoke to Seungho.

          "Hello hyung. I expect you heard what I just said. I put my phone in Cheolyong's bag. Can you track it down?" Sanghyun nodded as he listen to Seungho before handing back the gadget to Changsun. "He said he will track him down." Sanghyun's brows slightly creased. "I hope we can get to him before it's too late." He whispered, probably didn't mean for Changsun to hear but the older did hear and not only that, Changsun also recognized that faraway look in Sanghyun's eyes. The same gaze Byunghee held.

          "What do you mean by that?" Changsun voiced out the question.

          Sanghyun sighed. "You haven't realize it yet?" Sanghyun asked back and the confused look only got more evident on the older boy's face. "Don't you feel that this is his way of saying goodbye?" Sanghyun sniffed slightly, chest tightened at his own words.

          "What?" Changsun felt his brows would fall off by the way him frowning right now. He really didn't understand.

          "Hyung. Cheolyong had lied to us a lot. I know that. And he is pretty damn well at acting." A bitter smile stretched on Sanghyun's lips. "I admit I have tried really hard to read him, his real self but I have no ability to. It just that, I realized not too long ago, that it wasn't Cheolyong whom I have to observe to know what is happening to Cheolyong." Sanghyun turned his head slightly, drifting his eyes towards the direction of Byunghee's room. "I only have to observe Byunghee hyung."

          "Huh?"

          "We might not know everything about the real Cheolyong but I can see, Cheolyong have been more honest towards Byunghee hyung and Byunghee hyung understand Cheolyong. That's why, hyung. If you want to know what Cheolyong is feeling right now, and what might be in Cheolyong's mind, just try to look at Byunghee hyung. Really look." Sanghyun patted on Changsun's shoulder. "That way, you will understand." He added mysteriously and left towards his own room, closing the door behind him softly.

          Alone in the living room, Changsun's head was all muddled up as he tried to untangle all the mess that kept getting more twisted by the time until he shook his head once and decided to take Sanghyun's advice and stalked back along the hallway towards Byunghee's room. There, he pushed open the door, standing still and watched Byunghee who seemed lost in his own world on the bed in the middle of the room. He kept a close look on Byunghee, but not on the poker Byunghee was well known with but he looked really close, he stared deep into Byunghee's eyes. For some reason he couldn't even explain himself, he felt like he finally understand what Sanghyun was trying to convey.

          It was a goodbye. Cheolyong had left them. For real this time. Byunghee's eyes spoke for Cheolyong's unspoken words.

          And he knew, that the way they were hurting now was nothing compared to the pain Cheolyong had been through. Even knowing only this much, it still break him into pieces.

          Changsun inhaled, feeling the sharp pain in his chest and he turned to his phone, typing a text which he proceeded to send to Seungho.

          Please, hyung. Tell me you will save him.

          -Joon-

          He didn't have to wait for long when Seungho's text came in.

          Just take care of Byunghee and Sanghyun for me.

          -Seungho-

          Changsun gritted his teeth, his fingers wrapped tighter around his mobile phone. Seungho won't give his words. His eyes drifted back to Byunghee. Would they really lost Cheolyong?

 

#################

 

A muffled moan escaped Seungho's lips as he strecthed his sore back and shoulders. He bent his neck a few times and rubbed his nape feeling a little bit refreshed. He leaned back on his seat, watching as his tracking blue ray map displayed on his PC. That was when, one by one, red dot was popping up on the blue ray map. He jolted up on his seat, eyes focusing as the red dot kept on popping up foming a line.

          Seungho's fingers glided over the keyboard and the map zoomed in towards the end of the line formed by the red dots and tilted his head slightly, opening a new window and pasted the two maps over each other to obtain the location around the place where the dots were forming towards. There was definitely a pattern. It started from somewhere along the skirt of Seoul moving towards the centre and from the look of it, the next place would be around ______.

          *ps : lol sorry I don't know places in Seoul and I'm too lazy to search for them

          "Hey, Seungho. I got him." Wonbin walked in with a small laptop in his hand. "They tracked him and we got the location around _____ area."

          "That's not right." Seungho mumbled but Wonbin caught Seungho's words and walked around Seungho's table and stood behind Seungho, watching the screen.

          "What are those red dots?" Wonbin asked.

          "I told our field worker to track down all of the unidentified crime scene."

          "Unidentified?"

          "Those which have the same pattern as the case of that silver car."

          Wonbin hummed. "You mean homicidal case being camouflage as accident?"

          "Yea, something like that. And I told them to find any chip might be planted inside the victims' bodies during the autopsy and update the crime scene location in here." Seungho explained. "There were a few of them before, since those people had been send here."

          "It's Cheolyong's deed right? Capturing the North agents and leave them by our doorstep?" Wonbin pulled a chair next to Seungho. "At first I thought he was mocking us but now I think he is really trying to uproot North from South's ground."

          "He does. But this…" Seungho pointed towards the PC where the red dots kept on blinking. "This could only mean he start killing again." Seungho said, his face looked dark and grim.

          Wonbin rose one brow and looked at Seungho funny. "How are you so sure this is his work?"

          Seungho blinked, snapping his head to look at Wonbin, feeling like he was caught doing something wrong. Wonbin was right. Since when did he lost faith in Cheolyong? Even knowing Cheolyong was a deadly assassin, he never stop believing in the maknae. And now… Was he just being suspicious towards Cheolyong?

          "However, that location is different from this. Or it could be just Sanghyun's phone being tossed here if let's say Cheolyong found out." Wonbin said, showing the place that they tracked from Sanghyun's phone. "So, are we going here or there?"

          Before Seungho could answer, the door to his room burst open and Seunghyun stumbled in looking disheveled, sweaty and panting.

          "Why are you so breathless?" Wonbin asked in amusement.

          "North President. He's here!" Seunghyun announced.

          Both Seungho and Wonbin jumped up in response. "What here? In NIS?" Seungho asked like an idiot.

          "What? Are you crazy? No. He's in South. I don't know how or why he got in our country but he's heading to _____." Seunghyun informed.

          "That's on the opposite direction from this place." Wonbin told, ponting towards the map on Seungho's PC. "Where is he going?"

          "I don't know but we have to be at all these three locations." Seungho stated, looking worried. "What is going on here?" He asked a rethoric question without expecting an answer.

          "We have to split up then." Wonbin said and Seunghyun nodded. Both of them paused to look at Seungho since Seungho was in charge of their little organization under Hongman.

          Seungho met both of the young men's gaze and nodded, watching as the two men hurried out of their room after he gave them the two places they should be at while Seungho, Seungho choose the place he thought Cheolyong would be. The location detected through Sanghyun's phone.

          Seungho took his jacket, leaving an instruction to the group under him before heading towards the interrogation room to meet Hyojin as he always kept her updated about Cheolyong, as much as he knew himself but he halted just a few meters down the hallway from the interrogation room when he saw beaten up Hyojin being dragged out of the room by two of his coworker.

          Trying his best to stay professional, Seungho stepped in their way, blocking the three but his calm went flying out of the window when he got closer look on Hyojin. Hyojin got bruises on her right eyes and her cheeks were swollen and there was a long although superficial cut along her neck and it seemed there more injuries that wasn't visible at this moment. She seemed to be out of consciousness as well. "What is going on here?" He hissed at the two coworker of him.

          "Sir Myungwoon's order." One of the guy answered shortly.

          Seungho gasped. Myungwoon was the chief, his level is even higher than Hongman's. Myungwoon got the power over all of them, each and one agent in this oganization. How did he knew?

          "Sir Hongman is in deep trouble." The other guy added with sympathetic look at Seungho. "He's currently in Sir Myungwoon's office."

          "He asked some of us to get all the information we can from her." The first men said. "She might be a spy but this is too much. We stopped them before they got that little kid involved."

          Seungho stiffened. "Where's Hajin?"

          "Urm… Sir Myungwoon took him."

          Cursing under his breath, Seungho grabbed onto his own hair, unable to think of a way to get out of this mess. But first, he needed to make sure Hyojin is fine. "So, are you taking him to the cell?"

          Both of them nodded before one of them said, "Infirmary first. She need treatment." There was a moment of silence before the guy spoke again. "Seungho?"

          Seungho snapped out of his thought. "Oh. Oh yea." Reluctantly, Seungho stepped to the side. He watched them dragged what he thought unconscious Hyojin however when he saw Hyojin's eyes flickered towards him before those pair of eyes closed again and though it might just be his imagination, Seungho heard silent need of help from Hyojin. He didn't know how to help. Should he just abduct Hyojin and betray NIS?

          "Wait!" Seungho blurted even before he could think properly. The two coworkers of him stopped and looked at him over their shoulder with raised brows but before he could continue with his excuses, another coworker of him, this time a short petite woman with a ponytail approaching them.

          "Oh dear god." The lady with the ponytail gasped as she saw the state Hyojin was in, her eyes glittered with sympathy. "Some people are so overzealous about her." She sighed and shook her head. "Sir Myungwoon had released an order. This woman is no longer our care. He entrust this case totally on Sir Hongman. It seems that Sir Hongman able to convince Sir Myungwoon." The woman informed and Seungho sighed a relieved breath.

          "Then… We'll take her to the clinic and…" One of the men turned to Seungho. "You can take care of the rest."

          "Yea, sure." Seungho jumped at the opportunity and walked with them, eyes frequently laid on Hyojin in concern.

          They went to the small clinic or rather infirmary room specially located inside NIS and waited as the doctor in charge for today to treat Hyojin's injuries. It took quite some time until the doctor pulled open the curtain slightly and made his way out to meet Seungho since the other two men had went back to resume their own work, leaving Seungho in charge of Hyojin.

          "How is her?" Seungho asked, crooning his head to take a look on the lady lying on the bed behind the curtain only to see a bandaged ankle and up to only her knees.

          "We can't be sure about the internal injury. I'm sending request for a brain scan since she kind of received hard blow on her head and I think she might have tear her ACL. Hopefully no broken bone." The doctor explained. "I'll be right back and we'll take her down to the radio room.

          "Sure. I'll stay here with her."

          The doctor nodded and left while Seungho pulled back the curtain and stood beside Hyojin's bed. Her face was bruised and swolled under the bandage across her cut. Seungho couldn't help but wince. Not that he never encounter such thing working inside NIS but Hyojin is his friend, the noona of the youngest member of MBLAQ and as much as he was close to Cheolyong, Hyojin also had a special place in his heart.

          Seungho turned around to pull a chair when he stopped dead as cold fingers wrapped around his wrist. "Did you find him?" Was the first question Hyojin uttered once their eyes met.

          "We are still trying and we have three places in mind." Seungho honestly revealed. He just find no need to keep it a secret from Hyojin.

          "Are you going to those places?"

          Seungho nodded.

          "Take me with you." Hyojin requested.

          Seungho shook his head in despair. "I hate to say this Hyojin but you do realize in what kind of situation you are in right now."

          "I know. Please. I might be able to persuade him to cooperate." Hyojin pleaded. "I just need to see him."

          "I can't Hyojin. It's not my place to decide as I please."

          Hyojin tugged slightly on Seungho. "Please. I can trust only you. Can't you give your trust to me as well? I promise, if you let me see Cheolyong, I'll tell you everything I know. Please."

          "I…" Seungho hesitated. "I'll see what I can do." He patted softly on Hyojin's hand which was still grabbing his wrist and smiled slightly to ensure the lady. And that seemed to be enough for Hyojin for now.

          And the words Hyojin gave seemed to be enough for both Hongman and Myungwoon as well as miraculously, both of the superiors actually approved of Seungho taking Hyojin with him to the said location.

          It didn't take long for them to reached their destination and all of NIS agents had dispered around the area, making sure to cover every inch of opening so no one would escape. Not even a great agent like Cheolyong. The only thing left now was to make sure that Cheolyong was really here.

          It took them another half an hour to realize what was going on when one of NIS agent found a briefcase tossed carelessly inside the bush, and Sanghyun's phone was in there.

          "Of course. He wasn't a great agent for no reason." Seungho whispered to himself when his underlings handed him the baggage they found abandoned. And that was when he received a text from Wonbin, saying that the location they had gone to scout was a real place as they clashed way with other Norths agents. It seemed they were able to handle it well though. Another text came in, this time from Seunghyun. The information he got was fake. North president was nowhere near South but they got their hands on a few North agents as well.

          However Cheolyong was neither at both places. Seungho clicked his tongue. He was half-relieved to be honest. He knew Seunghyun was one of them but he didn't have a good feeling if Seunghyun was the one to find Cheolyong first. It wasn't a secret that Seunghyun was still unable to agree to Hongman's way of wanting to save the North agent or to put bluntly, Seunghyun hate North agents.

          Who knew what Seunghyun would do to Cheolyong if he was the one who got his hand on Cheolyong first.

          Seungho took out Sanghyun's phone, surprised that it wasn't locked and even more surprised to see a document was on display. It was a list. Seungho frowned and brought the list to Hyojin who was waiting in the car, hand cuffed to the carseat.

          Showing the phone to Hyojin, he asked, "Do you know what this is?"

          Hyojin's eyes moved over the list before she nodded. "It's the list of the North agents, Ruby."

          Seungho frowned even more. Why was it here? Did Cheolyong leave this for them to find? Why? All these time, Cheolyong had been the one hunting down those on the leaves and throw them by the roadside near the NIS building as if to say he worked better than any NIS could. But now, why would he left this here?

          "If Cheolyong left this…" Hyojin spoke, her eyes turned downcast, it made Seungho nervous what would follow after. "Doesn't it seem like he is just saying that he… He'll leave all to you? That now, you can finish what he started."

          "What are you trying to say?"

          "It's a farewell."