fourteen

SPY

Finally! Getting out of the hospital! Cheolyong couldn't even start to explain how suffocating and bored he was while stuck in the ward unable to do anything and how excited he was to finally be able to step out of this building and let the sun bathed him and the breeze cool him. Not that he hadn't escaped from the ward room for more than a few times already.

          "We should celebrate." Byunghee said, finished signing all the document for discharging Cheolyong and went to join the others with the maknae. "What do you want to eat, Cheolyong?"

          Cheolyong opened his mouth to answer but his wristwatch vibrated and he took a glance at it before smiling guiltily to his other hyungs. "Oh man… I'm really sorry hyungs. I told Jinwoon about me getting out of the hospital and he want me to celebrate with him."

          "Celebrate with him? Where? We can join in as well." Changsun proposed, his eyes gazing at Cheolyong, studying the maknae, trying to see past what the maknae had offered. He couldn't help it. The shock just won't leave him everytime he imagine that their wimpy maknae was simply a façade and this maknae was more than able to hurt people. Who was the maknae? He didn't know but he could imagine what kind of person Cheolyong might be. Obviously the opposite to the fake character the maknae kept on showing off to other people including them. Lies… All are lies…

          "We're going fishing. I'm sure you guys don't really like fishing though, right?" Cheolyong said, not noticing the look he got from Changsun, focusing on how to get himself out of his hyungs' pestering.

          "I don't, but now that you're finally in good health again and we really want to celebrate with you so, why not? It sounds like a great way for us to all hang out together and enjoy the time." Seungho said while the others nodding in agreement with the leader. "I'll text Changmin and if 2AM is fine, we can all go out together."

          Cheolyong wanted to protest but he didn't know how. He never really thought these hyperactive hyungs would want to join such boring activity like fishing with him and Jinwoon. And now they had to push their real plan back.

          "Changmin sure is fast." Seungho chuckled at the sound of new text coming in. "They probably are already all over Jinwoon by now. So, let's go Cheolyong. Where's you favorite port?" Seungho pulled on Cheolyong's arm, almost seemed quite pushy on regard of this which made the maknae quite hesitant.

          It was lucky that Jinwoon and Cheolyong did went out on fishing for real sometimes when they were not tied up by mission and if Cheolyong was being honest, he enjoy those time hanging out with Jinwoon like real friends. So, it won't appear awkward doing the real fishing and once they met up at their favorite port together with the members of 2AM, Cheolyong and Jinwoon simply exchanged a helpless gaze knowing none of them two could win over their hyungs.

          Oh… The life of the maknae.

          Pulling Jinwoon aside, Cheolyong had asked, "Is it okay for us to delay the mission though? Jiman might suspect something."

          Jinwoon shrugged. "No worries. We can just get it over tonight."

          "Why are you so sure?" Cheolyong threw his bait, hoping he could get something out of Jinwoon about all those mission that definitely didn't come from Jiman if he take his brother-in-law's words seriously. But it was not easy. And truthfully, he didn't even know if he was ready to know that he can't trust Jinwoon. He… Wanted to trust Jinwoon… But he couldn't afford it.

          Jinwoon shrugged, avoiding Cheolyong's question as he changed the topic. "I heard your hyungs have some radio broadcasting tonight. Just tell them you're going to sleep at my place again."

          "Fine then. Did you buy what I ask you to last time we went out fishing?"

          Jinwoon stared at Cheolyong like an idiot before he exclaimed, "OH NO! I forgot, Cheolyongie! Sorry."

          "What? You promised!" Cheolyong whined poutily. He had been dreaming about the new edition of fly for a few weeks already and was so excited when Jinwoon offered to buy him that. He had became a fan of fishing eversince one day Jinwoon came to pick him up on his free day, inviting him to go out fishing and he first thought that Jinwoon was talking about new mission he might have overlooked and had gone with the other without much question until Jinwoon stopped the hot pink hello kitty car next to a small trail, taking out complete sets of fishing kit and eventually lead them to a solitude place with a crystal like river and after gaping in disbelief, he grew fond of this activity with Jinwoon, starting to bond with the other without him realizing it. Still… Can't rely on this kid… My fly… Cheolyong sighed.

          "What's wrong?" Came Seulong's voice from the spot where the other members had gathered around, preparing all the tools for fishing and for barbequing.

          "Nothing. I just forgot to buy Cheolyong his new edition of fly." Jinwoon came back to join others since he noticed the suspicious gaze from Seungho that had been following after him and Cheolyong ever since Cheolyong pulled him away from the group. That just reminded him that Cheolyong did ask him to do a background check on Seungho. Maybe I should do that as soon as I can.

          "Nevermind. I prefer nature anyway. Though that fly is so cool and might get us a bucket of easy fishes. Damn…" Cheolyong said, crouching down by the river side and start digging into the wet ground with a stone and sat like that for a few minutes with Sanghyun and Changsun hovering over the crouching maknae in curiosity only to fled away while screaming when Cheolyong pulled out a long wriggly earth worm using his bare hand. "Look! Chubby and yummy. Oh yeah~" He commented.

          "Ewww! Cheolyong! That's so un-hygiene!" Byunghee exclaimed from far, hiding behind Seungho with pale face.

          "I thought you guys want to join us fishing! Find the bait or just go home." Cheolyong scolded, tossing the still living worm into a bucket Jinwoon put beside him and continue digging around the hole he made.

          "I-I'll just do the cooking." Byunghee decided on his own.

          "I'm joining him." Changmin exclaimed.

          "Good! We'll divide into two groups. One handle the fishing while the others prepare the barbeque stand. I'm cooking too!" Seungho held out his hand. "The others can go find the bait. We don't need too many people to take care of the food."

          "Can we use snails?" Came Jokwon's voice asking and when the others turned towards the boy, they gawked at the number of snails inside the boy's palm and there was even one crawling over the boy's red hair.

          "He and his snail. I know this was coming since he started to hang out with Key." Seulong shook his head and chuckled as he was reminded how horrendous it was when the two diva came to meet each other. He was completely amazed to know that Jokwon and Key could actually get along well.

          "Well, if I say no, then I'm sure Jokwon's hyung will bring those back to the dorm as his pets." Jinwoon jibed, hooking a worm on a fishing rod before handing it to Sanghyun whom wore a disgusted look on his face.

          "Do what you want, hyung." Cheolyong laughed, helping Changsun with his own bait, smirking at the disgusted look on Changsun's face. City boy. He watched as both Sanghyun and Changsun went to the river bank and sat there with their feet dipped inside the clear water before throwing a mischievous look at Jinwoon whom immediately got what Cheolyong was planning at, mirroring that playful smile.

          Jinwoon went to Jokwon and whispered something that brought the same evil smile upon Jokwon's face and the two of them picked up the snails and stealthily putting the slimy animal over the clueless Changsun's shoulders and back while Cheolyong pulling on Sanghyun's T-shirt collar slowly and mercilessly dumping a fist worth of wriggly earthworm into Sanghyun's shirt.

          Not too later that Sanghyun registered that ticklish feeling over his back and the evil laughter from Cheolyong, Jinwoon and Jokwon that he screamed like a girl, struggling and ended up falling into the river, still struggling to get the worms out of his shirt while screaming insults at Cheolyong, "YOU BASTARD MAKNAE!"

          "So lively youngster these days…" Byunghee commented from the background but definitely kept his distance from the dangerous trio.

          Changsun whom had been laughing at Sanghyun's misfortune stopped abruptly when he felt something cold and slimy and wet climbing on his biceps and now was on his nape. Slowly, he reached for one that was now crawling up his cheek and just like Sanghyun, he screamed like a girl once he realized all those crawly slimy things was in fact snails! And following Sanghyun, he fall into the river with loud splash.

          "Come here you little rascal!" Sanghyun went after Cheolyong once he threw off his shirt and made sure no more worm on his skin and easily caught up with Cheolyong who was laughing his head off. He wrapped his arms around the maknae's ankle who was standing by the shore and yanked the maknae into the river trying his best to keep Cheolyong under the water as revenge, all the while Changsun was on the brink of tears trying to shake all the snails off of his body and Jinwoon and Jokwon high-five each other and went back to their own fishing rods, joining Seulong as if they had nothing to do with the havoc that was still ongoing in the river.

 

###########

 

Seungho watched with fatherly smile as the boys wrestled in the river, forgoing all of their fishing rods and just enjoyed themselves with each other. But his smile faded away once his eyes met Changmin's.

          "So…" Changmin started, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "Jinwoon haven't been staying at your dorm?"

          "Just like I told you before. Never once." Seungho said, grim look over his face.

          Byunghee who was there listening, blinked confusedly as he looked back and forth between Seungho and Changmin but didn't question as he decided to just wait and listen and analyzed. Hoping this was nowhere leading to what he had found out about their maknae though he couldn't deny his own curiosity of who exactly Cheolyong was?

          "Mir-shi have slept at our dorm. But only a few times. Most of the time, we're not in the dorm so I can't say for sure." Changmin told.

          "Where did they spend those night then?" Seungho asked with a sigh. "I don't like it when maknae kept a secret like this. Last thing I want in my hand is maknae rebellion."

          "Maybe it was nothing to worry about." Changmin shrugged. "Maybe they just… Have secret girlfriends and are simply covering up for each other?"

          Seungho looked over to Byunghee and found his same age friend looking at him with unreadable look on his face. "So, Cheolyong had been lying to us when he said he was going for overnight at Jinwoon's place?" Byunghee finally asked. I'm not surprised… Him and Jinwoon… So, the other guy is Jinwoon.

          Seungho and Changmin nodded. "It seems Jinwoon kept saying the same thing too. Going for overnight at Mir-shi's place."

          Seungho turned back to Changmin. "Cheolyong is not the type to talk about his girlfriend, I second that, but he also not the type to lie about it if he was asked. There's something more for sure."

          Byunghee threw a look at Cheolyong who was laughing loudly while trying to get out of the river with Sanghyun clinging on his waist and Changsun still stumbling around clumsily on his own next to the maknae-line.

          "Seungho… Can I talk to you for a second?" Byunghee requested.

          Changmin smiled and kindly said, "I want to go and look if they got any fish yet. At this rate, those idiots are going to chase away all the fish being so loud like that." and went away to give privacy to the two MBLAQ member.

          "What do you want to talk about?" Seungho inquired.

          Byunghee narrowed his eyes at the leader. "Cheolyong is one thing but you. What are you hiding?" He shot low but the impact was great and Seungho almost lost his composure. Almost.

          "What are you talking about?"

          "You don't fool me, Seungho. What's wrong with our group? The leader and the maknae keep a secret. How do you expect us to move dynamically then with all these annoying secrets." Byunghee slammed his palm onto the grill frustratedly. "Sometimes it's really tiring trying to be understanding when none of you even care."

          "Hey, don't say that." Seungho stepped closer to Byunghee and draped his arm around his same age friend. "We do care."

          "Oh really?" Byunghee scoffed. "Then tell me why are you being so secretive then with those late at night sneaking out."

          "That's… Well… Don't we all have our own private life?"

          "If it doesn't affect MBLAQ, then I won't mind. But you have been skipping practice and yet still looking deadly tired and Cheolyong." Byunghee turned to look at Cheolyong for a second before turning back his gaze at Seungho, this time his gaze held hurt and sadness at the thought of the maknae. "We all know this is not the first time he injured himself. He was sick even before he fall off that stage. What did he do to get himself hurt like that? I don't like him getting hurt constantly like this but I don't even know how to ask this of him when he kept on avoiding the topic. Heck, he even distant himself before, acting like we're strangers. I don't like that too. Do you know how frustrating it is to not know?"

          "Byunghee… Calm down. That is what I'm trying to find out and about me, myself…" Seungho inhaled. "Trust me okay. I just have my own problem to settle but I promised I won't let it affect MBLAQ."

          "Look! You won't tell me and yet you want to dig out Cheolyong's secret. How fair of you, leadernim." Byunghee spat and left Seungho, ignoring the leader calling after him. He was truly tired trying to keep this group together with Sanghyun being all silent and awkward with the other members though not so much now, and Changsun with that incident of the crazed stalker and Minki which had affect the dancer emotionally though he didn't admit it and to be honest, he noticed Changsun acting strangely around Cheolyong these days, let alone the fact that Cheolyong and Seungho both keeping secret. And Cheolyong… Who is the real Cheolyong? It feels like he's not my maknae anymore but he still is. I'm tired of this. "Am I the only normal one in MBLAQ?" He whispered harshly to himself. Ugh… Sometimes he felt like just giving up on these people.

          But then again, he was too attached to these people to just let them be. He stared at his group members and let out a long sigh.

          Why do I even care for people who don't… I guess, that's just what family does.

 

###########

 

Something was not right. It was stupid of Cheolyong to only realize it now. That was why now he was bashing his own self inside his head as he stared down with a blank face at the wristwatch that he had reduced into small parts that it almost seem to never be able to be put together again, not that he had any intention to. He had went inside Seungho's room and taking the older's tools for hardware repairing without permission, knowing how obsessed Seungho with repairing gadget and even cars these days. And now that he had wrecked his own wristwatch to this state, he finally found what he had suspected before.

          A small chip.

          He knew well, it wasn't supposed to be there. He had went through the wristwatch inside out after Jiman gave this to him, studying the gadget from the way it was technically structured to its function, all of it, so he knew this chip was not supposed to be here. Those missions didn't come from Jiman. He knew that already but this chip just confirmed more of his suspicion on Jinwoon.

          Chewing on his bottom lips, his fingers drumming the study table, as his eyes narrowed down even more at the chip. He knew who put this chip in to interfere with the watch's function. It was none other than his own partner. Who else? Sure, he hated Jiman's guts and Jinwoon had agreed to help him in his vengeance but if Jinwoon couldn't be trust as well… What should I do?

          "Cheolyong. Let's go out-" Seungho pushed open Cheolyong's room without knocking and surprised to find the maknae's room was dark and the only light there was coming from the study table the maknae was sitting at now. "Isn't that my tool box?" He gestured towards the open box.

          "Yea, I borrowed it." Cheolyong said, putting back all the tools into the box, closing it carefully and handed it back to the leader. "Sorry I took it without asking you first. You weren't in your room just now."

          "Oh, it's okay. I don't mind." Seungho took the box, his eyes flickered past Cheolyong's shoulder to the table. "What are you fixing… Or more like what are you breaking?" Seungho chuckled teasingly. "Need my help to fix it back together?"

          Cheolyong looked back to the broken parts of the small gadget, smiling back at Seungho. "Nevermind. I'm planning of throwing them out anyway."

          "But, isn't that the watch you always keep on you? I thought it was important to you?"

          "It was." Cheolyong quickly answered. "Not anymore." He smiled bitterly, walking back to the table and opened the drawer before swiping all the parts of what used to be his watch into the drawer and closing it shut. "I have somewhere to be hyung. Can I?"

          Seungho shrugged. "As long as you don't came back too late." Seungho glanced to the clock on the wall. "I was just about to ask you out for a dinner with these guys. Changsun had been busy these days so since he is free tonight and tomorrow, I thought we can finally hang out together. All five of us. Can't you postpone your plan?"

          Cheolyong grabbed his jacket, pulling it over his body as both of them walked out to the living room where the others are waiting. "I'm really sorry, hyung but it's kind of important." He told the others and smiled apologetically at the small pout covering his hyungs' faces. "I promised we'll hang out together next time."

          Seungho nodded but his gaze was sort of looking sad as he peered into Cheolyong's eyes and his hand went up to ruffle Cheolyong's messily styled hair. But Cheolyong didn't linger longer when Byunghee interrupted with a whine definitely not going to agree as easily as the leader of the group did.

          "When else will it be? Changsun's schedule is full for three months starting the day after tomorrow." Byunghee informed and looked up to Cheolyong with glassy eyes, trying to look cute.

          Cheolyong bit his lips and scratched his nape before releasing a defeated sigh. "Okay fine. I'll just postpone the work."

          The hyungs cheered loudly like kids except Changsun who had been acting all weird since after the incident with his stalker and started to buzz around the dorm and in few minutes, Cheolyong found himself being hauled out of the dorm and pushed into Seungho's car, crowding on the backseat with Sanghyun in the middle and Changsun on the other end. Cheolyong glanced at Changsun, frowning at how obviously the older was avoiding his eyes.

          "Why aren't we taking the company van?" Cheolyong groaned, feeling himself been pressed against the car door each time Sanghyun or Changsun moved. "Oww! Oww! Oww! Hyung! My foot!" He squeaked when he felt Sanghyun's army boot weighed down onto his sneaker covered foot.

          "Oh. Sorry!" Sanghyun declared casually, removing his foot from the youngest.

          "Byungki hyung took that van to a meeting. We're just going down a few block. Bear with it." Seungho ordered, driving a little too reckless to Cheolyong's liking since he kept on being thrown to the side with each turn the leader took.

          But just as Seungho told, it didn't take long to reach the favorite noodle shop Seungho had been talking about for the whole week and Cheolyong felt like kissing the ground once he got out of the cramped vehicle.

          "This look like a haunted house." Byunghee blurted out. This hyung was truly insensitive.

          But he was kind of right. The building looked abandoned and the area around had nothing but wild quiet field since this noodle shop was located on a hill out of the reach of the city despite it wasn't too far from MBLAQ dorm.

          "Hey! Don't say thing like that!" Seungho warned, looking around the dark place. "Why is it so dark I wonder." He mused and moved to the front door to find a paper stuck onto the locked door. "In process of mo- IN PROCESS OF MOVING?! Oh damn it!" Seungho groaned.

          "Hyung." Sanghyun went up to Seungho and tugged on Seungho's hand timidly. "Is that a graveyard?" He asked under a whisper.

          "Where?" Changsun noisily asked as he overheard Sanghyun's question.

          "Wait! Where's Cheolyong?" Byunghee asked when realized the one boy who should be the noisiest of them all screaming and whining and all over one of them like a scared little puppy like this was not here.

          "Oh ! The graveyard ghost must have taken him!" Sanghyun freaked out, jumping onto Changsun for protection while the older of those two kept his small eyes so wide in search for the graveyard Sanghyun was claiming to see.

          "Damn it! BANG CHEOLYONG! This isn't funny. Come out now!" Seungho shouted, his voice echoed through the wide area.

          There was no answer and the maknae was nowhere to be seen.