Lies

Sweet Sarang
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yerim was squeezed in the middle between Sarang and Yoonseul. The three girls were lying next to each other on Yerim’s bed. They barely fit there but it was okay, it felt nice to be next to each other knowing they’re there for each other.

Each one of them was staring at the ceiling, lost in her own thoughts.

People would usually go out on Saturdays, but they just wanted silence and maybe a little peace of mind. That’s why Sarang came over after her morning shift ended and Yoonseul joined.

“It’s been a week,” Sarang said. “He never shows up anymore. It’s been a week.”

“I thought that was what you wanted,” Yoonseul said.

“But it feels empty now. I miss him.”

“Then why did you make him go?” Yoonseul asked. “He went last Friday to your parents’ house, he spent the night there for you and then showed up at Kyungsoo’s place the next day even though you had already told him to stop coming. There’s so much rejection one can take, you know.”

Sarang frowned as she turned her head to Yoonseul’s direction.

“But he cheated on—“

“Stop it, Sarang,” Yerim interrupted impatiently.

She had been up that for so long and she couldn’t do it anymore. She sat up and looked at Sarang.

“We get it, okay? He messed up. But what more do you want him to do to fix it? He’s been begging, stalking, calling, doing literally everything he could just to get you to spare him a glance. What more do you want?” she looked pissed. “You either go back to him or don’t you ever speak about him again. But don’t push him away then come crying about him not showing up.”

“Yerim-ah!” Yoonseul sat up straight and so did Sarang who had kind of a shocked expression. But then again, that was Yerim. Straight to the point and honest even if she sounded harsh, that’s just how she was.

“Don’t!” Yerim yelled at Yoonseul then looked back at Sarang. “Don’t you realize how ing selfish you’re being now?” she asked, “You think it’s all about you now? You have a little pure soul growing inside of you! How are you going to raise this baby without a father?”

“I-it’s not like Chanyeol won’t—“

“You still haven’t even told him!” Yerim yelled, “It’s been more than a month and he still doesn’t know he’s going to be a father. How is it fair for him or for the baby? You’ve lived your whole life in a family that adored you and gave you everything you have ever asked for including love, warmth and protection, yet you don’t want your child to have that?”

Sarang didn’t notice how she was shaking. Her breath came out heavier. She hadn’t considered the things that Yerim was talking about before, but it was never her intention to ruin her unborn baby’s life. Now that Yerim put it that way, it sounded really awful.

“Sarang-ah,” Yoonseul reached for her hand. “She’s right. You shouldn’t throw away everything you have. You’re a strong woman, you should collect your family, protect it.”

Family. My family.

In addition to all the things that Yerim mentioned, Yoonseul thought about Kyungsoo too. He must be feeling awful seeing Sarang always talking about Chanyeol, waiting for him, and expecting to see him.

She knew Kyungsoo wouldn’t let Sarang even think that he has feelings for her because he didn’t want her to feel uncomfortable, because he was decent enough. But he must be hurting and Sarang staying at his place isn’t going to make it any better for him.

“Don’t you love Chanyeol, Sarang?” Yerim asked, this time trying to sound calmer. “It’s not just for the baby’s sake but what about you? Can you love someone else? Can you be with someone else?”

Sarang shook her head lightly.

“No,” she said.

“Then just go back to him. You love him and he loves you and you guys are already married. His parents approve you and your parents approve him. Can’t you see how lucky you are?”

Yoonseul caressed Yerim’s hair, “Are you okay?” she asked her with worried eyes.

“I’m fine,” she said, ignoring the tears that started welling in the corners of her eyes. “I’m just reminding her that she is lucky and she should appreciate it. It’s not like her parents used to ignore her entire existence but then suddenly started calling two times a day just to make sure she was studying and maintaining her scholarship because they’re not willing to pay for her education if she lost it for a Chinese boy who just probably wants to knock her up then fly back to China leaving her alone with a ruined life and child to support by herself,” her voice cracked as quoted what her mom had told her about Lay. She spoke quickly with no pauses between words, “Maybe because they don’t think she was good enough to be genuinely loved by someone.”

Sarang bit her lower lip feeling sad and a little ashamed.

She reached for Yerim’s hand and squeezed it.

“Is it that bad?” Sarang asked.

“I have strived with every fiber of me to maintain high grades and I did,” Yerim said, “And I managed to enter into med school yet instead of being proud of me they still think I’m useless,” the tears fell on her cheeks quietly. “And just when I found someone,” she sniffled, “Just when I found this perfect someone… They hate him. They don’t even know him but they hate him,” she said, referring to Lay. “They don’t even know how amazing he is.”

Both Sarang and Yoonseul hugged Yerim together, forming a small group hug.

“It’ll be okay baby,” Yoonseul kept saying as she rubbed Yerim’s back. “We’re here for you.”

“I’m so sorry about that,” Sarang found herself in tears, too. “I’m sorry I haven’t noticed your pain and have been always too immersed in mine.”

Yerim pulled back, wiping the tears off her face and trying to smile after she felt her friends’ warmth and love.

“Sarang-ah,” she looked at her, “Just think about what I told you, hmm? He loves you and that’s all that matters. Don’t let anything mess your life with him, he loves you I know it.”

 

***

 

“Even that didn’t work!” Hyojung almost yelled but then tried to control her tone since they were sitting in public. “I thought now he’d come back to me, but since she left him he doesn’t stop or glance at me when he sees me. He’s ignoring me even more.”

“Listen, I think it’s time we just drop this whole thing,” Hwasoo decided.

“What?!” Hyojung yelled, then again tried to lower her voice when she realized a girl who was sitting on a table next to theirs was staring at them. “What do you mean?” she frowned.

“I mean he loves her,” Hwasoo said, “There’s nothing we can do about it, so let’s just leave them.”

Hyojung scoffed. She really couldn’t believe what Hwasoo was saying.

“You were the one who called me in the first place and suggested we ruin—“

“Well I shouldn’t have!” Hwasoo interrupted. “I’ve been thinking about this for a week,” she said, “I wanted you to ruin their relationship because I wanted him for me,” she said honestly, “But I won’t chase after him. Not anymore.”

Hyojung breathed a bitter laugh. It’s not like she didn’t know Hwasoo’s intentions but she still used her help and now that she was backing out on them left her alone.

“What has gotten into you?” Hyojung asked. “Now you’re suddenly an angel? Now you want him happy?”

Hwasoo sighed.

“That’s enough, Hyojung,” she said. “I think… I think for once it would be nice if I was wanted instead of being the one wanting others,” her lips formed a little smile that she didn’t notice. “I think it’s time I stop what I’m doing and just focus on myself i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter