Eighteen.

She's Eccentric, But I Like It

SE XVIII

 

 

“I did what you said. I’m here now.” Byul’s jaw tightened. This may be her father right in front of her, but after everything he’s done, she’s lost every ounce of respect she had for him.

 

Byul glared at his father’s proud and collected figure as if she were throwing daggers at him. His father sat at his swiveling chair and emitted an aura of strength and power; the sole reason why she was afraid to go head to head with him.

 

Well, that was before. Byul swore that she won’t let her father do anything to Yongsun, not to even touch the tip of the strand of Yongsun’s hair.

 

Mr. Moon laughed, his baritone voice echoed around his office and he stood up. He slammed his hands unto his desk, and Byul flinched a little but hid it immediately. She didn’t want him to feel that she was intimidated by him.

 

“Good… my daughter. That’s good.” Mr. Moon picked up a brown envelope from his desk and walked towards Byul’s. Slowly, he waved the envelope in front of his daughter’s face with a wicked smile on his face. “That way, we wouldn’t need this anymore. You see the good things that happen when you listen to me?”

 

“This is too much. You’re too much.” Byul gritted her teeth as she spat the words out, and maintained eye contact with the man in front of her that she could no longer recognize.

 

Mr. Moon let out an uncontrolled laughter, as if he was insane. Byul backed away for a bit, a little scared of her father’s unusual actions. “Too much? Me?” and he laughed some more, like Byul said something funny in which she had no idea to. “Tell that to you mother, she’s the one who’s too much. Leaving her husband and daughter just to be with a . Now, Byul, who’s the one that’s too much?”

 

This was nowhere near normal, Byul thought. His father was so consumed with anger that he was losing his mind. “You don’t have to punish me for something that mom did! That was her decision and it’s been a long time. Move on, dad!” Byul was so into her emotions that she didn’t notice the tears that fell from her eyes. She was breathing heavy while looking at her father who seemed to be troubled with his own thoughts.

 

She didn’t have to know the full story regarding her mom, it was enough that she knew that her mom left the two of them. She’s mad and blaming her, yes, but doing so won’t change anything. She understands that much – her much just fell in love, like she did with Yongsun.

 

Her father’s breathing was getting heavy and the conflict in his eyes was evident even from afar. Byul didn’t dare come near him, at this point, she was once again terrified. Even more terrified when her father spoke again, “Your mother left, Byul! She was a lesbian so she left, and now that you’re one too, you’ll leave me as well!” He was fuming, his face was red, and he held the envelope so tight, it crumpled.

 

Mr. Moon paced back and forth, and Byul just watched him as he did. There was something wrong with his father and she realizes that now. Mr. Moon stopped his movements and whipped his head towards Byul’s, and as she caught her father’s gaze, she froze. They just stared each other until Mr. Moon cut it off himself.

 

Byul released the breath she was holding and she wet her already dried lips. Her father went back to his seat and threw the envelope at the trashcan underneath his desk. He ran his hands through his perfectly slicked hair and tried to calm himself down, but the flicker of emotions in his eyes never left.

 

“Leave, Byul. I’ll call you when I need to talk to you and I expect you to be here as soon as I do. Don’t you dare get out of this house and meet that little of yours, or else you’ll know the consequences.” He dismissed her. Byul wanted to say more, to shout at him more but she needs to hold back. Yongsun is already hurt, she wouldn’t want to hurt her more.

 

With a heavy and enraged heart, Byul left her father’s office, and closed the door harshly. She stomped on her way down the stared as she dried her tears. On the way down, she saw her grandmother entering the house and she immediately ran and engulfed the woman in a hug.

 

“Grandma!”

 

Mrs. Moon was caught off guard by her granddaughter, but she didn’t mind. She dropped her bags and hugged her favourite granddaughter back. “Byulie…” The old lady examined her granddaughter and just by one look, she knew that there was something wrong. “What’s wrong, Byul?”

 

Byul only remained silent as she bit her lip, and her grandma didn’t have to ask again to know the answer to her own question.

 

“So what Mrs. Lee told me was true. He did go there.” Her grandmother’s tone was dull and void of emotions. It was almost scary.

 

“Mrs. Lee told you?”

 

“Of course she told me. We’re friends, and in that penthouse, you’re under her care. She reports everything to me, Byul…”

 

“Oh…”

 

“Go to your room, Byul. I’ll talk some sense to your father. This is not right anymore, I won’t tolerate this.”

 

Byul nodded and kissed her grandmother on the cheek before heading upstairs. When she reached her room, her bags were already there and some of her things were already unpacked so she just jumped unto her bed and closed her eyes. The hatred for her father lingered, and the thought of being away and lying to Yongsun because of him, fuelled her rage even more. With those thoughts in mind, a few moments later, she fell asleep.

 

 

It’s been four days, and everything has been hell for Byul. Her father never let her go to school or get out of the house for that matter, and she has never contacted Wheein or Hwasa, especially Yongsun. Those four days were just sheer torture for her. Even her grandmother is not in the house, well, her grandmother always have something she needs to be and that’s something Byul has never asked.

 

Having enough of it, Byul stood up from her bed and went out of her room. Her father has work today, meaning he’s either locked in his office or is in his company. Either of the two is an advantage for her; she can always just run past the guards – she knew this house like the back of her hand.

 

As soon as she reached the kitchen, a few of their maids were there. It was a good thing that some of them were actually kind of close to her that sneaking around wasn’t that hard to execute. After talking to a few, and begging them to hide her and let her out, she finally reached the garden and so she jumped unto their fence – relieved that none of the guards so her out; must be her lucky day.

 

Byul texted Wheein and Hwasa immediately, it was noon so they were free. They agreed to meet at the park near the school’s vicinity, but of course, not without Wheein’s interrogations on why she hasn’t contacted them in four days.

 

When she reached the appointed destination, she was instantly locked into a hug by her two friends. She missed the two, and she misses Yongsun too, so much.

 

“What the hell, Byul unnie?! Where were you? Were you kidnapped or something?! Why haven’t you contacted us? Why aren’t you coming to school?!” Wheein bombarded her with questions while Hwasa looked at her as if she was judging her. It was pretty much understandable on why they’re acting this way.

 

“It’s my dad…” Byul started, and amazingly, the two didn’t give that much reaction.

 

“Oh, of course. What’s new?” Wheein stated with sarcasm, “He always have something up his sleeve to somehow make your life miserable. What’s wrong with him?”

 

“Yeah, I mean, ever since he got here, it seems like you possess a lot of burden on your shoulders.” It was Hwasa this time.

 

Byul raked her finger through her tresses and heaved a heavy sigh. She didn’t know what to do with his father anymore. Her grandmother said that she’ll talk to her father, but now, her grandmother is again nowhere to be seen.

 

“I don’t even know guys. I just really need to see Yongsun right now. I miss her. God, I lied to her…” and at the mention of Yongsun’s name, Hwasa and Wheein looked at each other knowingly, and this didn’t go unnoticed by Byul. “What’s that look? What’s going on?”

 

“Uhm… about Yongsun unnie…”

 

“What? What about her?” Byul was getting nervous; from the sound of her friend’s voice, something’s not good. This may not be her lucky day after all.

 

“She hasn’t attended class just like you, Byul unnie. She hasn’t come to school in four days.” Hwasa explained, and Byul broke in cold sweet – feeling a little guilty, but this was not something Yongsun would do.

 

Byul stood up immediately, “I need to go to Yongsun. I need to go to the penthouse.”

 

“We’re coming with you, unnie.”

 

“Okay… Let’s go.” And the three then made their way towards the penthouse. Byul prayed silently that Yongsun is okay; that she’s not sick or anything. Her mind was raided with worry – worry for the woman she loves.

 

 

 As soon as they reached the building, Byul went towards the door in a hurry and tried opening it. Locked.

 

“Ugh, I forgot to bring my keys!”

 

“What? You forgot? Try calling her, unnie…”

 

Byul bit her lips and took her phone out of her pocket and dialed Yongsun’s number, only to hear that automated voice, “The number you have dialed is out of coverage area.”

 

“What?!” Byul was about to try for the door again – she was panicking – when the door suddenly opened and it revealed Mrs. Lee. “Mrs. Lee! You’re here, thank God!”

 

“B-Byul?”

 

“I have to go to Yongsun, she’s there, right?” Byul asked hopefully, and by the looks Mrs. Lee is giving her, Yongsun isn’t there.

 

“Mrs. Lee, where’s Yongsun unnie?” It was Wheein who asked this time.

 

“I’m not sure where she went, but I saw her go out hastily just a while ago. She was in a hurry that I didn’t even get to ask where she was going…” It made Byul even more nervous. Where was Yongsun going?

 

As if an immediate answer to her question, her phone rang and it showed her grandma’s caller I.D. She answered the call immediately, her palms sweating. “Hello, grandma?”

 

“Byul, where are you?” Her grandmother sounded troubled. She looked at Hwasa and Wheein who gave her a questioning look in return.

 

“I’m here i–”

 

She didn’t get to finish her words when her grandmother cut her off immediately. Her grandmother’s next words rang to her ears, and she has never felt so terrified in her life.

 

“Yongsun’s here and she’s in your father’s office!”


 

 

Byul hurriedly went home and advanced upstairs. After hearing what her grandmother just told her over the phone, she didn’t have any minute or second to spare. She ran up as fast as she could until she reached her father’s office.

 

 As she neared the door, she could hear her father’s deep voice. He was shouting, “I wouldn’t want my daughter to be with someone who’s mentally ill! You lost your father, didn’t you? That’s why you’re so undisciplined! And you dare come here in my house, who do you think you are?!”

 

Byul had enough of it that she barged in the room without even knocking, his father was too enraged and Yongsun was too scared to notice. There she saw what her father was about to do to Yongsun, something she could never forgive. In a blink of an eye, she was in between Yongsun and her father, and a rough hand hit her cheek; hard.

 

Byul fell at the strong impact and Yongsun went still from what just happened. Yongsun’s eyes immediately went to Byul who was holding her already reddening cheek and blood dripped at the side of . Yongsun was shaking in place, her lips quivered, and the tears that streamed down her face never stopped.

 

Mr. Moon on the other hand had shock written all over his face as he looked at her daughter. The guilt and number of emotions can all be seen in his eyes. He backed away slowly as if he couldn’t believe what he just did. “B-Byul… I…,”

 

Byul breathed heavily as she tried to endure the excruciating pain. The iron taste on does not help at all. She saw Yongsun looking at her, and how her knees trembled. She knew what’s going to happen next, so despite the pain she’s feeling, Byul was there to catch Yongsun’s weak state as she fell down.

 

It hurt her, to see the woman she cared for looking so terrified. Yongsun was shaking, and seeing her in this state is much painful than the one she feels on her cheek. Byul hugged her and whispered comforting words to her. Yongsun buried her face into Byul’s chest and wept, her hands clutching on Byul’s clothes tight as if she couldn’t bear to lose her again. That, she won’t.

 

Although talking would be unpleasant for her at the moment, Byul never stopped cooing her girlfriend. “Hey… It’s fine, you’re okay…” as she did, Byul looked at her father who has retreated back to his chair while he stared at the two of them. This time, he has crossed the line for actually hurting Yongsun – her Yongsun.

 

Not long after, her grandmother entered the room together with their family guards. Mrs. Moon immediately darted her gaze at the girls then to her son. She has never felt so disgusted in her whole life. “What did you do, Junghyun?!” her voice was hard and stern, and her son looked so small from where she’s at. This was his son, but she had to admit that there’s something wrong with him.

 

“I-I didn’t mean to… I will never p-physically… hurt her…” it looked as if he was in the verge of crying, his voiced was filled with tremor as he spoke. “I’m so, so, s-so s-sorry… B-Byul…”

 

Byul couldn’t suppress her tears; there were so many things going on. She looked at her father one last time and gave her attention back to her still, frightened girlfriend. They don’t deserve this – Yongsun didn’t deserve this. She deserves the world, and from now on, Byul will give that to her – away from her father, or anyone else who would try hurt her.

 

“I’m sorry… mom…”

 

Mrs. Moon fought back her own tears and approached her son. No matter what, this is still her one and only son. He may have done wrong, but just like anyone else, he was just so in love. It’s only that, love was too strong for him to handle.

 

“I’m sorry too, son. For not raising you the best I can… I think it’s better if you go back to the states. You're the one who needs help, son.”

 

Junhyung could only smile at his mother, the sadness in his eyes evident. The guards then went beside him, and fortunately, he didn’t show any resistance or violent reaction. “It’s okay, mom… and I think so too.” He went with them willingly, and as soon as he went pass Byul and Yongsun, a frown forms on his face as if the sight triggered something from him. He was about to spat out words when her mother signaled the guards to get him out of there immediately, and they did.

 

For now, Mrs. Moon ordered them to take him to the same place her son admitted Byul. Junhyung needs all the help that he could get. It hurt her, as a mother, to see her son in that state. But it would hurt her more to see her granddaughter suffering and she couldn't do anything about it.

 

Junhyung’s voice went quiet as he was distanced away. Mrs. Moon approached her two girls, and asked for the maids to aid both of them quickly. Byul, despite being the one who’s hurt physically, was the one to carry Yongsun towards the room she resides in whenever she’s here. Byul just asked for the medic kit and requested them to leave while she sat on the bed with Yongsun who was still hugging her.

 

As soon as the maids were gone and only the two of them were left alone, Byul spoke, “Yong…” she placed her palm and Yongun’s back and caressed it tenderly. Yongsun only tightens her hold, and Byul smiles. She smiled a little too much, her cheeks stung, “Ow!”

 

Yongsun stiffened, and Byul had to assure her, “I’m fine…” She followed it with a chuckle.

 

“Y-You’re not…” after all that, Yongsun finally spoke, and it broke Byul’s heart to hear how her voice cracked.

 

Byul adjusted her and Yongsun in a straddling position so that Yongsun could put her legs around her waist. This way, Byul could hug her girlfriend better. “I’m fine, Yong… It’ll just be a little bruise. What I’m worried about though, is you going to my father without my knowledge. Why did you do that? Do you know how worried I am?” Byul tried to make her voice as soft as possible though she was very pissed. She didn’t want to intimidate Yongsun further.

 

Instead of answering her question, Yongsun just pressed herself further to hers. Yongsun yearned for Byul’s warmth, and comfort is where Byul is.

 

Byul felt the urge to continue, so she did, “Don’t you ever do that again, Yong… I don’t want anything happening to you. After so many years, you found me and I found you, so please… let’s not lose each other again…”

 

“You were leaving me…” Yongsun spoke, but her voice was muffled so Byul didn’t hear her that well.

 

“What?”

 

Yongsun moved away a little, and their eyes met. Eyes that are glistening with tears and fear met the ones filled with worry. “Y-You told me that you’re n-not going anywhere…” Yongsun was already choking with her own sobs, but she continued, “But you were lying to me… y-you lied to me and I got s-scared…” Yongsun’s tears streamed once again, much harder this time, she was almost hysterical.

 

Byul didn’t want to see her in such state; she held Yongsun by the cheeks and softly whispered reassuring words to her, “I’m sorry. God, Yongsun, I’m so sorry… I’m here now, I’m not leaving you again… please, stop crying…” She hugged Yongsun and cradled her in her embrace.

 

“You w-were leaving m-me…” and Byul’s heart broke hearing the pain from Yongsun’s words.

 

She kissed the top of Yongsun’s head and caressed her hair, “Shhh… I’m sorry…”

 

It took a lot of time before Byul got to comfort Yongsun, fully. Yongsun might’ve gotten tired from all the crying that she fell asleep. Byul laid her down gently and removed the strands of hair that were sticking on her face. Byul dried Yongsun’s tears and hummed, trying to put Yongsun at peace while she sleeps.

 

After all that, Byul quietly left the bed and tried to mend her injury. Her cheek hurt and her lip was busted. It’s going to form into a scar, that, she’s sure of. She couldn’t believe that her father could do something like that, that he would cross such line just because of his resentment from the past.

 

When she was done, she went back to the bed and lay beside Yongsun. She took the duvet and covered the both of them, and all the while, she stared at Yongsun’s sleeping face. After everything that this angel in front of her has experienced – the terror, pain, and trauma coming from her father’s words – she would do everything in her power to never let Yongsun experience such events ever again.

 

When Yongsun turned to the other side, Byul spooned her. Her father won’t be bothering them again, and so that night, she slept peacefully with her lover in her arms.

 

She takes it back, this could be her lucky day.

 

 

---

 

3k words, again! Ahhhh. Here's an update! Things are getting lame, I don't know how to do endings. HAHAHAHA. Anyways, hooray for 3K! That's an achievement for me every time. xD 

 

I love you guys! Woo!

 

Unedited.