Chunji’s Exam

Awoken in a Distant Land

 

[Chunji’s PoV]

I stared at my father and the two of us bowed respectfully to each other, the hundreds of people in the stadium sat there watching in anticipation and silence. As soon as I stood up straight, I was greeted with the sight of fire coming straight at me, with a flick of my hand a wall of water was in front of me, I held my hand up as the fire hit the wall, causing it to slow weaken and turn to steam. As soon as the wall went down, I brought up another with water and then earth too. Blocking the rest of the fire, I then let both the wall and the water to fall to the ground, sending a gust of air straight at him, followed by fire. My appa was weakened slightly by the air and got hit with some of the fire, however he recovered and redirected the fire back at me, which I then redirected and sent back at him, but he brought up a wall of earth, making the fire split and go around in him. He smiled at me and I smiled back, however, I could sense that he was going to send an earth attack at me, so I jumped into the air, using the element of air to jump up and then used water to stay up in the air.

He threw a rock at me and I jumped on top of the boulder, taking control of it. He then followed up with an air attack, slicing the rock in half and bringing me back down to the arena, where I brought up a wall of water again, which blocked the wall of fire that was sent right at me, as soon as it went down, I sent out lightning bolts, which represented the element of light right at him, hitting one of his arms and wounding him.

He shook his arm, bring up water and healing himself, making me groan, how could I have forgotten he could heal himself. I was feeling exhausted, but I wasn’t going to show that I was or that I was in pain, because if I did they’d most likely make me stop, I looking into the crowd and saw the others who were already guardians watching closely while the mortals watched in awe, because they had never seen the true power of the royal family, they still haven’t yet.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I was frozen in water, I quickly got out of it from using fire and melting the ice, I smiled at my appa, who was surprised, I then brought out all the water in the stadium, mixing it with air, I sent the whirlpool at him and he got into it. I set the ground on fire, and he fell right into the trap and I sent light straight at him, knocking him off his feet and into the empty trench behind him. I then brought down all the water from the whirlpool down on him, freezing it so he couldn’t even bend, I smiled and then used a mixture of light and fire, sending it straight at his froze form and freeing him from his ice bonds, but also wounding him greatly, he looked at me and it was obvious he was exhausted because he was breathing heavily and couldn’t heal himself again.

He sent an attack at me with Earth which slammed me harshly against the wall, I whimpered and fell into the pool of water, what he didn’t know though was that I could heal myself too, and I had enough energy to. He froze the water, but before he could freeze the area I was at, I used fire to melt the ice, I then swam to the opening and climbed out of the water, sending one final attack him, freezing when I noticed that it wasn’t red flames that exited my hands, but black flames. I looked at him in horror, seeing him collapse in pain as the darkness hit him.

The stadium fell silent again and I looked at my trembling hand, how? I’m not supposed to be able to control darkness…

Despite using the darkness, I passed and was granted the purple cloak, signifying that I was in fact a guardian now. I looked at my appa, who was helped up by my umma, he smiled at me.

“Appa…I-I…” I said, looking at his wounded side that had gotten burnt by the darkness.

“You truly are stronger than us…” whispered my appa, “Just as Jaejoong warned us, you do possess all six elements…”

“You will be the one to end this war once and for all…” whispered my Umma.

I looked at them shocked, “I-I can control the thing that is my weakness?”

They nodded, “We just can’t teach you though, because we can’t even control the darkness…”

“So I’m going to have to train on my own?”

My appa nodded, “Yes, and preferably where others can’t be wounded.”

I nodded, “Alright.”

I then exited the stadium, wearing my purple cloak as I exited the stadium the people all looked at me frightened, they were afraid of the darkness I possessed, so would this mean Minwoo is afraid of me too? I frowned at the thought. Would everyone hate and avoid me now?

“Why are you frowning?” asked a familiar voice, I looked up, smiling at the mortal known as L.Joe, “I thought you wanted to be a full time guardian.”

“I-I do…” I said, “It’s just…you wouldn’t understand.”

L.Joe frowned, “If you really are bothered by it you can talk to me, you know.”

I sighed, “I know.”

“Congratulations hyung!” said Minwoo, hugging me tightly out of nowhere, I smiled at him.

“Thanks.” I said, noticing L.Joe’s frown increased in size.

“You were amazing.” Said Niel, “B-but hyung how did you create the darkness?”

“I really don’t know Niel; according to my parents I was born with the power to possess it….” I said, “And I don’t know how or why. All I know is that they ordered me to practice controlling it out in the woods…”

“Hyung, but you promised me you’d help me train for the first trial…it’s just a day away…” said Minwoo pouting.

“Guys, let the poor boy sleep,” Said Sunggyu, “He needs rest, he just got done using an insane amount of elemental powers, on top of that he’s still pretty wounded, so let him rest.”

“But the trials start the day after tomorrow…” said Ricky, pouting.

“Fine, I’ll help, but the others have to help…” I said, “I can’t focus on training you all after all, we are just sparing, give me the weakest of you all in that area and I’ll train him.”

“Well, it looks like you have to help L.Joe.” said L; I think that’s his name.

I looked at the blonde boy beside me, who was staring at me, and said, “Alright then, let’s head to the training grounds.”

“I’ll pair up with Changjo!” called Ricky, making the younger laugh.

“I guess I’ll take the muscle head,” Said Niel, referring to CAP.

“I’ll take Woohyun,” Said Sunggyu, looking at Woohyun, who smiled at him widely.

“I’ll take this idiot,” Said Sungyeol, pointing at L.

Hoya looked at Dongwoo and smiled, “I’ll take him.”

Jeongmin looked at Hyunseong, “I’ll take him…”

“Then that leaves Sungjong, Minwoo, and Donghyun.” I said.

“I’ll spar with Donghyun-hyung,” Said Minwoo.

“I’ll sleep…I mean supervise,” Said Sungjong, smiling widely.

“Hey, oppa, can we join?” asked a female’s voice, the boys all turned to see two girls, smiling at them.

“Cecile, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen you, where have you been?” asked Chunji, he turned his attention away from L.Joe; he then smiled at the other girl standing beside her, “Hey Minji.”

Cecile: 

Minji:

“Hi oppa,” Said Minji, smiling at me cutely, I glanced at L.Joe to see that the boy was glaring at him.

“You two can spar each other if you’d like.” I said, “We already have group up, so you two can pair up, ok?”

The two nodded, smiling at each other, we all then got into positions, the other groups started sparing right away while I went through the fighting forms with L.Joe step by step and really slowly. He smiled at me and I smiled back at him. Once he knew all the moves he’d need, we began to spar. He seemed to be going easy on me since I was weak, so I decided to get harder on him, kicking and punching him, trying to make him bruise and fight back harder, however that plan failed. I looked at him and frowned.

“Fight back harder.”

He shook his head.

“L.Joe, fight back harder…”

He shook his head again.

I went to slug him in the face, but he ducked, grabbed ahold of my wrist and held my arm behind my back, “Are you happy now?”

“No, fight back harder or you’ll never pass,” I hissed, “and that would make keeping you here meaningless.”

Right after I said that L.Joe started to fight back harder, he was a lot stronger physically than me and it was obvious with how sore I was when we ended practice.

“So, how was it?” asked L.Joe he was covered in a thin layer of sweat as was I.

“A lot better than yesterday’s practice, you really are ready for the trials.” I said, “You are in a better physical condition than I am, so you’ll diffilently make it past the trials.”

“I do think you should be that confident,” Said L.Joe.

I pouted, “I do what I want shorty.”

“I might be short, but I’m stronger than you, remember? You said so yourself.”

“I take it back you…you…UGH!” I said, hitting his shoulder.

L.Joe laughed as did I, I then looked back as I hear Minji whispered, “Unnie, I think oppa has a crush…”

The two girls giggled and I rolled my eyes, for two people who can be extremely scary when they want to be they are awfully cute all the time. Well, Cecile, un intentionally is.

“Hyung are you going to go practice your darkness now?” asked L.Joe, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yes, why?” I asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

“No reason, well, I’ll be going now.” Said L.Joe, seeing that the other mortals where heading to the inn without him and he ran to catch up, the other guardians were heading back to their rooms in the academy, while I’d have to head up to the castle, if I really felt like it. If I don’t I can just stay at the academy, my parents won’t care, since the academy is obviously really well protected.

“Oppa, we’re going to be heading back to the orphanage, Mr. Kim will start to worry if we aren’t back by sundown.” Said Cecile, “so, by oppa.”

“Also, Oppa…” said Minji, I looked at her, she then suddenly began to sing “L.Joe and Chunji sitting in a tree k-i-s-s-i-n-g, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Chunji-umma with a baby carriage.”

“YAH!” I yelled, she giggled and ran off.

“Night Oppa!” called Minji, waving as she ran off.

I frown and glared at her as she ran off; I then looked at Cecile’s retreating back as she chased after the childish Minji.

I sighed and ruffled my slicked with sweat hair, what did she mean to do with her little song?

 

Hope you like Minji and Cecile! :D I felt the need to add female characters, and don't worry about them coming between the pairings that'll come along eventually, because they both are friends and there are enough problems in the story as there is, so I just felt like adding to characters (who play a bigger part in the story than you all know). I won't update again until I have ten comments! I know I'm being selfish, but this is the quietest readers I've had...so, please comment. I WON'T BITE! ^^