The Guardian Exams Begin

Awoken in a Distant Land

 

[Chunji’s PoV]

I laid by myself in the shade while the others all trained for the guardian trials that were coming up, what are guardian trials? They are the trials mortals have go through to prove that they are strong enough to be guardians. I watched from where I was laying on my side, head resting on a Kyuhyun’s cloak, since the man had taken it off and given it to me. I closed my eyes, listening to the birds in the tree above me chirp as well as listen to Kyuhyun and Zhou Mi enjoy themselves while instructing and coaching the mortals who all were planning on going into the trials. I on the other hand was just focusing on being healed by three days from now, why? Well, the guardian exams are then. The guardian exams are trainees like me fight their mentor, or in my case mentors and prove that they are in fact ready to become guardians.

“Uh…Can I sit here?” asked a voice suddenly, forcing me to open my heavy eye lids; I looked at the blonde male in front of me and nodded, sitting up. The two of us sat in silence for a while and I glanced at the boy who sat beside me. He glanced back at me and made eye contact, then spoke up, “What did you do at that temple the other day?”

“I sealed the door…” I said, “It’s a temporary seal, but it’ll delay the people from the underworld long enough.”

“I-I see…” said the boy, “I’m L.Joe. You brought us here, didn’t you?”

I nodded weakly, “I did…There was something…different about you seven, so I brought you here…I’m sorry that I didn’t think of what you all wanted, but like I’ve said, it was either I brought you here into protection or you stay there and fight something you can’t see…”

The boy smiled, “We all thought we’d die.”

“I wouldn’t allow it.” I said, smiling.

“So, what is behind that door?”

“Your world…” I said, “However, if you do become guardians, you all will never be able to enter the world again…so, you all should really think about what you want to do, because once you are immortal, there is no way to go back.”

He looked at me shocked, “so I won’t see my parents again?”

I nodded, “After all this is over, the door will be sealed and hidden away in the sky.”

“Seriously, in the sky?” asked the boy.

I nodded, “Yes, in the sky…”

He was silent for a while, “I’ve already begun to feel attached to this place, and I don’t think I’ll be able to leave it…”

“Then you don’t have to…” I said, smiling at him, “You can stay here, this is your choice.”

He nodded and sighed.

“L.Joe!” called Kyuhyun, “Let’s resume your training.”

He nodded and stood up again, I sighed and leaned back against the tree behind me.

 

Three days later, I stood with the other seven in the locker rooms of the stadium, the stadium was filled with mortals who gathered to watch the guardian exams which usually happen only once a year, but this year it’d be happening every three months.

“We are going in the order of what element you are going to be, and how many of that element there is.” Said my umma, “Which means, Jeongmin, you are first up again Kibum.”

Jeongmin nodded nervously and walked out of the room, my umma then towards me with a worried look on his face, “Are you sure you are well enough to fight your appa?”

I nodded, looking at him with determination, “I’m ready umma…”

He nodded, but looked at me worriedly still.

Niel sat down beside me, “Are you sure?”

I nodded, “I know I’m ready, we all do.”

“I mean are you healthy enough to do this?”

I nodded, “I’m well enough…”

Sungyeol also sat down beside us also, “I’m worried, and what if we fail? It’d be so embarrassing to do, especially since we’d fail in front of so many people.”

“Don’t be worried about it.” Said Sunggyu, placing a hand on the younger’s shoulder, “You trained well enough. The one we should be worried about is not you but Sungjong; he missed more practices that you all did.”

Time slowly ticked on, Jeongmin had returned with the yellow guardian cloak he was awarded, showing that he processed the element of air and that he was now an official guardian. He was smiling widely when he came back in, as was Hoya and Changjo as they came back in with their brown cloaks. The next person came in with a couple of wounds, but he was still holding his blue cloak.

“How in the world did you pass?” said Sunggyu, looking at Sungjong, who smiled widely.

“Froze Donghae.” Said Sungjong, “It was my last resort and it worked…I almost failed.”

We all smiled at him, and I spoke up, “It’s good that you didn’t.”

His success was followed by Sunggyu’s, Sungyeol’s, and Niel’s, all wore their uniforms, and Leeteuk made them put on their cloaks, saying that they had to wear them at all times when they were out in public, and he told them that their uniforms would be waiting for them in their rooms back at the academy. They all then left the locker room, wanting to watch the fight between my appa and I which wouldn’t be possible if they stayed in the locker room.

“Chunji, it’s time,” Said my umma.

I nodded, taking a deep breath, my muscles were sore but I didn’t care, I had to get this over with before the war started, I had to be an official guardian before the Devil stepped past the gates of hell, and I had to participate in teaching the new guardians. I had to be ready to take down those Angels of Death when they come back for me.

I took a second deep breath as I walked out into the beautiful stadium from an ice bridge, which vanished into the water, making me trapped in the earth area, since we were on a little island that was surrounded by water.

“Are you ready?” asked my father.

I nodded, “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

 

 

The interaction between Chunji and L.Joe has begun, anyways, I'm sorry if you found this chapter boring or rushed, I hope the next chapter will be better, please don't forget to comment and leave your opinions, because your opinions help make the story better...