I'm sorry that I love you

Once Upon A Story

A/N: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SEHUN <3

Thanks to those that recently subscribed, and I'm also grateful for another upvote <3

Honestly, I'm surprised people are still reading these >_<

Featuring: HunHan, Kris, Chanyeol

--------

 

Luhan pulled up into the driveway of a well built house that was comparable to a mansion. He juggled to find the keys as his hands had been occupied with various bags of groceries.

He took a quick look at his wrist watch, it was already six in the evening. He had to hurry and make dinner before Sehun and Chanyeol came back.

After gaining entrance, he kicked off his shoes. In the midst of his rush, he accidentally scraped his forehead against the corner of the opened closet door. "Ow." He hissed out in pain at the stinging and burning sensation. Disregarding his injury, he made his way into the kitchen.

For nearly three years now, this had been his life. He was put into an arranged marriage with Oh Sehun. Their parents were interested in working together to expand their businesses. And they decided the only way to do so was to become a family through their chosen sons. They started out as strangers, at the time Sehun had been dating some girl but as a result of their merging, the lovers had been forced to break up. From that moment on Sehun seemed to loathe Luhan.

He thought it would pass with time, after they'd gotten to know each other better. But one year turned into several more years. Their companies had been passed down to their brothers, Kris and Chanyeol. And Luhan dedicated himself to becoming a house wife after marriage. He would cook all the meals, clean the house every other day because Sehun didn't like dust, take care of all the bills, do the laundry and basically ensure that everything was kept in order; so all Sehun had to worry about was going to work. Unfortunately it didn't matter how much work he did to become the perfect spouse or how much effort he put in toward Sehun and their so called family because the younger wouldn't spare him another glance.

And he didn't know how he'd endured this long without any complaints, and definitely without anything done for him in return. Truthfully, all he'd wanted was to have normal conversations with Sehun, instead the most he'd received were one worded answers. Just a smile from the younger, even if it had to be faked, was satisfying enough. But apparently, even that had been too much to ask.

The petite male's vision was starting to blur as a slimy substance dripped down onto his face. He felt dizzy, he weakly grasped onto the countertop to cease his swaying but soon his knees buckled from beneath him. His eyelids were suddenly beginning to grow heavy. The last thing Luhan saw were a pair of feet scurrying his way and a familiar voice shouting, "Hyung, we have to go to the hospital" before he lost consciousness.

------

His eyes fluttered opened and reflexively brought his hand up to block the artificial lights from view. He groaned at the pounding pressure on his head.

"Ge, you're finally awake! How do you feel?" His younger twin practically sprang up from his seat in relief.

"My head hurts." He rasped out. "What happened?"

Kris adjusted the bed so Luhan was in a semi sitting position before he offered the latter a sip of water to soothe his throat. "I got a call from Chanyeol saying how you were unconscious on the kitchen floor, bleeding when he and Sehun got home. You fainted due to low blood sugar levels and from the loss of blood. You got a pretty deep cut on your forehead and the doctor gave you 15 stitches."

Luhan finally noticed the IV attached to the back of his right hand and gauze taped to his forehead where he assumed the wound to be. "Where are they now?"

"Home, I told them to leave before I lashed out at them. I know it's not their fault this happened, well at least it's not Chanyeol's fault."

"Yifan..." He wanted to say it was just an accident and that no one should be blamed but had been interrupted.

"This is my fault too. The marriage was supposed to be between the two youngest children in each family because the Oh's didn't like Sehun's girlfriend and wanted to get rid of her. But you insisted on taking my place. I'm so stupid, I shouldn't have let you talk me into it. If not for me you wouldn't be in this mess right now. I'm sorry." Kris' eyes were downcast, almost as if he were ashamed of looking directly at Luhan.

It seemed that the conversation was now beyond the elder's injury. "Hey now, you're getting off topic. You can't go accusing others for my clumsiness." He quipped, trying to ease the build up of tension. 

Kris sighed and shook his head in disbelief that his brother could still joke at a time like this. "Ge, please, I'm being serious. Don't you ever grow tired of trying?"

Luhan, despite the current situation offered a small smile and reached out to take Kris' warm hand into his cold ones. "Yifan, no one is to blame for any of this. I willingly chose to marry Sehun on your behalf because I didn't want your chance at finding happiness to be taken away from you. And I don't regret it because over the years, I've grown to love him."

As ironic as that may have sounded, Luhan was being genuine. Whether it had been Sehun's ridiculous sounding laugh when he saw something funny on TV, his adorable crescent eye smile when he's around his friends, or his bratty demeanor when something doesn't go his way; Luhan loved all of it, because that's what makes him Sehun.

"But will he ever be able to reciprocate your feelings? You're only human, even an overstretched elastic band is bound to snap at some point, how much longer can you continue tolerating this before you're completely wounded?" Kris asked in an almost inaudible volume, but seemed to be loud enough to serve as a wakeup call. "And I don't ever want to see you in that state." He gave their intertwined hands a tight squeeze. 

Whether it had been denial or ignorance, it didn't make the slightest difference; because that thought hadn't crossed Luhan's mind. But reality's always been cruel in that sense, as realization hit him hard.

Silence ensued as Luhan took the time to absorb the words and analyze it's meaning. All this time he held the hope that there would be a day when Sehun comes to acknowledge his existence, as long as he kept trying and never gave up. But what if Kris was right, that this was merely an event of his imagination? Perhaps it would never become reality; it was all just wishful thinking.

Luhan all the sudden felt lethargic. His mind and body drained of energy and drenched with exhaustion as the pain clenching his heart finally made itself known. Tears accumulated at the brim of his eyes before they dribbled down his cheeks. A mocking laugh at himself escaped his lips. He finally woke up from his trance after so many years of hypnotizing himself into believing they would live their happily ever after.

Maybe instead of holding onto something that clearly never existed, he should stop being so selfish and just let go? Wouldn't that be easier on the both of them?

"I know what I should do." He whispered.

And it was as if twin telepathy truly did exist because no other words were exchanged, no clarifications were needed. Kris sat himself on the bed and pulled Luhan into his embrace sobbing, "I'm sorry."

-------

Luhan had been discharged from the hospital the next morning. Taking a cab, he left for his home.

He hadn't slept at all last night. As much as he wanted to just close his eyes and give in to sleep, thoughts about Sehun and the conversation he had with Kris would flood his mind.

After ascending the staircase, he took cautious steps inside the master bedroom, almost as if he'd been afraid of seeing Sehun there. But it was nearly noon so he'd still be at the office. Relief washed over him as he kept that thought in mind.

Seeing the bed an unkempt mess, Luhan absentmindedly pulled the duvet over the length of the mattress before neatly smoothening out the wrinkles. Then having noticed scattered papers all over the floor, he picked them up and orderly stacked them on top of the desk situated from across the bed. While he was organizing, he also placed all the pens and books back in their proper places. He executed all those tasks as if it were his second nature.

Taking out his suitcase from inside the walk in closest, he began removing his clothes off the hangers. Luhan only took what was necessary, thankful that he hadn't accumulated too many belongings. He didn't even touch what he thought would be constant reminders of Sehun. As he finished folding his clothes, their wedding picture that had been placed on the bedside table caught his attention. With trembling fingers, he reached out and picked it up. A somber smile etched across his lips as he eyed Sehun in the photograph, his thumb caressing his husband's face against the glass. His lingering gaze immediately fogged his vision as he clutched the frame to his aching chest. Stifled sobs echoed throughout the house, and he'd been more than thankful that no one else had been at home.

If not for the ringing of his phone, he wasn't sure when his crying would come to an end. Sniffling, he hastily brushed the tears away using the back of his hands. Clearing his throat, he greeted his twin. "Hey Kris."

"Hey, I'm on my lunch break now. I can come get you from the hospital." Fortunately, the younger didn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary.

"Oh, that's alright. I took the cab, I'm actually at home right now." The phone was now wedged between his ear and shoulder as Luhan placed the frame facedown back on the table. Taking his suitcase with both hands, he waddled out of the room descending the stairs.

"What? And you didn't tell me?" Kris sounded concerned, with a hint of hurt in his tone.

Luhan started throwing his shoes in the suitcase. "I didn't see the need to bother you with such a small thing. And besides, I'm fine, otherwise I wouldn't be able to leave on my own." He reasoned, hoping that would alleviate Kris' worry.

A sigh was heard on the other end. "Alright. Are you still coming over to stay a couple days?"

"Yeah, I'm almost finished packing. By the way, what do you want for dinner tonight?"

"I was planning on ordering take out or going out to eat. You need to give yourself a break ge."

Luhan rolled his eyes and let out a chuckle. "Quit babying me Fan, I'm older than you."

"Yeah, well someone has to."

The sudden clicking of locks and opening of the door startled Luhan. He turned around and had been surprised to see Chanyeol. "Hey, I gotta go. I'll see you tonight."

"Luhan hyung, welcome home. How are you feeling?" He greeted the elder with an enthusiastic flash of his pearly whites.

Luhan returned the smile. "I'm better thanks, also for taking me to the hospital last night. Sorry for Kris' behavior."

Chanyeol just waved it off good-naturedly. "Thanks don't need to be exchanged between family."

His smile faltered at the word. The muscle in his chest suddenly throbbed in agony. He felt as if he'd been shot by a million arrows as he was sure Sehun never saw him that way.

"Why do you have that suitcase?" Chanyeol's wary voice sliced through the quietness.

"Oh, I'm going to stay at Kris' for a few days."

"A-are you and Sehun okay?" He grimaced upon realizing what he'd asked. That had been a rhetorical question. Aside from their parents who had been oblivious to their relationship, everyone else could tell that they'd never been okay. Chanyeol knew and could tell that Luhan was trying his best but the ice barrier Sehun built around himself was barely cracking. "Sorry." Was all he managed to get out.

Luhan in a deep breath to calm his heart, disregarding the younger's apology. "Do you maybe have a minute? I want to ask you something." He asked to change the touchy subject.

Chanyeol looked at his watch. "Yeah, it's fine. I don't have a meeting until two hours from now. I'm back 'cause I forgot an important document. Anyways, what's up?"

"Now that the family business is under your management, say that if our families were no longer legally held together. Would that change anything about our collaboration?" He bit his lower lip in an attempt to gnaw away at the nervousness, avoiding all possible means of eye contact.

Chanyeol's tired eyes dilated double its original size as he was hit with an epiphany. In the midst of his agitation, he grabbed Luhan by the shoulders. "Hyung, please tell me this isn't about what I'm thinking it is."

"I-I really don't know what you're referring to Yeol." He suppressed the sob that was threatening to rip out from his throat. He tried to control the tears that were dancing around the brim of his eyes. "But please, whatever ends up happening, don't let anything change between our companies. Can you please promise me this?"

"Hyung, you're scaring me." Chanyeol's worried tone was undeniable.

Luhan extended a hand to run along the younger's spine. "Just remember that whatever's going to happen is for the best. Don't worry Chanyeol, everything will be alright. I've got to go now, but I'll be back tomorrow to celebrate Sehun's birthday."

Not waiting for Chanyeol's response or for him to zone in to the situation, Luhan trudged through the door.

------

Today was Sehun's 23rd birthday. However, he was anything but happy. Sure he received plenty of blessings, but it didn't really mean much, not as much as being wished from that special person. It's already been an entire day without those cheerful good mornings, delicious home cooked meals and the specially packed lunches he relished so much. Needless to deny, his heart was longing to see Luhan.

He scoffed at the state of his feelings. He'd been 100% against the arranged marriage. Because of the arrangement, he was forced to break it off with his girlfriend. But maybe that had worked out in his favor since she turned out to be a good for nothing gold digger; he'd been upset and unintentionally took his anger out on his innocent spouse.

As time progressed he slowly let Luhan into his life. To himself, he acknowledged Luhan's presence, and everything the latter has given; but most importantly, he accepted their relationship. Despite his uncaring behavior and cold attitude, he really doesn't despise Luhan as much as the others think he does; in fact he feels quite the opposite. But being the younger between them, whose only been in one relationship that lasted two months, and had been left hurt; Sehun really hadn't a clue what it meant to be in love. Thus he put up a protective wall, to refrain himself from allowing his heart to get stomped on again. But over the years Luhan has proved to him time and time again that he'd been wrong.

He is selfish, he is well aware of the fact. He keeps on taking Luhan for granted and he knows he shouldn't. It wasn't as if he didn't feel anything for Luhan, the attraction is undoubtedly there in his heart. He had long ago come to terms with his feelings. But being the shy and reserved guy he is, he isn't certain how to display his affection.

When he trekked into their home to see Luhan lying unconscious on the kitchen floor after work the other night, only god knew how terrified he'd been. His mind drew a blank after shouting out to Chanyeol that they needed to rush to the hospital. Thankfully, his brother had been more calm, if not, Luhan's condition could've been worse. His heart ached at seeing Luhan in that state, he'd been so scared to lose the latter. It was only after hearing the doctor say Luhan would be fine did he finally feel himself relaxing. And he wanted to stay, at least until Luhan woke up, but Kris kicked them out. The nurses warned them about not disturbing the other patients, so as to not further cause anymore commotion, he unwillingly let himself be dragged away.

Chanyeol had come in earlier to inform him that Luhan had been acting unusual. The fear he felt the day at the hospital multiplied tenfold. He knew there would be a day where Luhan would grow tired of trying, eventually giving up. And coincidentally, this morning Sehun had awaken with a negative feeling lingering within him. His intuition tells him something bad would occur later, and he desperately prayed that it had been all in his head. He would refrain himself from acting like a total jerk to the older when they see each other later.

Chanyeol had been vague in his explanation and it was worrisome that neither knew why Luhan acted the way he did. Sehun prayed to god and the heavens above that he would be able to amend their relationship before anything he would end up regretting happens.

------

Later on that night, Luhan had come home as promised and prepared all of Sehun and Chanyeol's favorite dishes for dinner.

His sight became hazy at the thought of what he decided upon doing in a few more hours to come. As much as he'd wanted to continue being ignorant about the facts of reality, he'd already made up his mind. It didn't matter to him how much more pain he would have to withstand, in the end it would all be worth it because Sehun would finally be happy. Because to love someone, is to let them go.

As he placed the last dish on the table, he heard the pitter pattering of footsteps and quickly wiped the tears dry. Forcing a smile to stretch across his lips, he turned around to welcome them. "Hey guys, just in time for dinner."

There was definite tension in the air as dinner progressed mostly in awkward silence. Aside from the light but short conversation Chanyeol tried to maintain, neither of the other two spoke much. This had been a normal situation for Sehun, but it was drawing unwanted attention to Luhan. So he'd been relieved that the meal was quickly finished.

Chanyeol had excused himself to go take a shower while Luhan finished loading all the dishes into the dishwasher.

He heaved in a big deep breath. This was the moment he'd been dreading all night. But he repeatedly told himself it had to be done. It was now or never. He couldn't keep holding onto something that never belonged to him in the first place, much less a person.

"Sehun-ah, I have a present for you. Wait right here while I go and grab it." The older male chirped, but internally cringed at how fake he sounded.

Sehun's heart began racing as his palms felt sticky with sweat. All he could manage at the moment was a nod. He watched Luhan emerging from the living room back into the dining room with a large envelope in hand.

"First off, I'd like to say I'm sorry. I don't know what it's like to be bound to someone you don't love. I can only imagine how difficult that is, and how painful it would be. I constantly wonder to myself how different it would be if we met under other circumstances. Who knows, maybe we would've become the best of friends?" Luhan chuckled dryly to himself.

A mix of worry and fear was inching its way through Sehun's body as he listened to Luhan speak. He eyed the envelope precariously, not liking the vibes that was being sent from it. "W-where is this going?" He'd almost been too afraid to ask as he instantly felt he was not going to favor the answer.

"Three years ago we'd been tied together through a legal document, proof that we are to commit to each other as spouses. In a sense that's the only barrier between the life we live now and what we had before all this happened."

Luhan's feigned ecstatic outlook wavered slightly as his eyes watered. But he had to do this. "I've been selfish. I stupidly believed that as long as I turned myself into the perfect husband, there was the possibility that you would eventually share my feelings too. But I suppose just like life itself, it doesn't matter how hard you try, you can't always expect that things will work out; love included. So now, while I still have the courage, it's time for me to let you go."

With trembling hands, Luhan handed Sehun the envelope. "I'm officially returning to you your freedom. After today, I hope you will truly be happy. Happy birthday Sehun." His lips wobbled as he choked back a sob. Without another glance in the younger's direction, he bolted out the door.

Tears were already streaming down Sehun's cheeks by the time Luhan announced he was letting go. The former wanted to call the latter back, hold on to him to prevent him from leaving. But he'd been helplessly rooted to his spot.

Barely recovering from his initial shock, he tore through the envelope to find divorce papers with Luhan's signature, his wedding ring and the key to their house.

By the time Chanyeol had come down from his shower, he found the wailing mess that was Sehun, curled up on the floor. He scanned his surroundings, when he saw the papers ripped into shreds with no Luhan in sight, he knew his suspicions had been correct. Rushing over to his brother, the taller male pulled him tightly into his arms.

------

"Are you really sure about this ge?" Kris asked for the umpteenth time that night as he pulled Luhan's carryon alongside them. It's been two days since Luhan's last encounter with Sehun. And now they had just arrived at the airport.

Luhan decided he needed a break, more specifically, an escape from reality. It didn't matter where he was going, he just needed to be away from the place and the person that had been the cause of his heartbreak. "Yes Kris. There's no going back now. But it's okay, I'm not going to regret this." That had been a complete lie. But he kept reminding himself that he made the right decision.

"Oh Luhan, stop lying to yourself. Everything you're saying is a lie!" A seething voice caught his attention. Said male whipped his head around, eyes widening and complexion paling when he saw Sehun stomping his way over to them.

"S-Sehun." He visibly gulped. His plan had been well thought out. He would gift the divorce papers to Sehun then leave his life behind to start anew; when his wounds have healed, he would come back as a new Luhan. Never would he have thought Sehun would be standing in front of him, whisking him away; in fact, the possibility never even crossed his mind.

It wasn't until they were engulfed by the chilly spring air, at the parking lot nearing Sehun's car did Luhan finally jerk his arm out of the younger's death grip. "Sehun, what do you think you're doing?" His tone was mixed between confusion and shock.

"I should be the one asking you that." The taller scoffed. "Last time I checked, marriage was between two people. How can you just go ahead and have divorce papers drawn up before even consulting me?"

So that had been Sehun's reason for driving all the way over to the airport and preventing Luhan from leaving? Given their past history and the situation at hand, to say it was ironic would be putting it too lightly. He chuckled bitterly, within a matter of seconds, he broke out into a derisive laugh.

Sehun was taken aback by Luhan's sudden maniacal behavior. It frightened him as he'd never seen Luhan act this way before.

"What more do you want from me Sehun? Why is it that no matter what I do, I'm always in the wrong? Isn't this what you wanted since the day we met? You obviously hate me, so aren't I doing you a favor?" His tears betrayed him as they carelessly trickled down his cheeks like a waterfall.

The younger male's eyes reflected hurt as his own tears threatened to spill. His heart clenched, it felt as if it was being constantly squeezed. "T-that's not true." His voice noticeably softened, unfortunately, Luhan didn't seem to hear him.

The older male wiped the tears away and composed his emotions before continuing to speak. "Look, I know you're worried about what our parents will think once they find out. I didn't decide this out of impulse, I made sure everything would remain the same. The purpose of this marriage was to expand and maintain our families' businesses. But now that the companies have been passed down to our brothers, our parents don't have a say in this matter. I trust Chanyeol and Kris to continue collaborating the way they always have been."

"I don't care about that. I-"

"If you're worried about being scolded, I'll gladly take the blame for everything." Luhan interrupted Sehun and offered his reassurance.

Sehun sighed, hands tightening into fists as he was slowly but surely losing his patience. "No, that's not what I meant. I-"

Completely ignoring Sehun at this point, Luhan just carried on. "After you sign the papers just-mhph." Luhan was taken by surprise when he had been pulled by the waist, colliding into a muscular chest. His doe eyes became the size of saucers when he felt an unfamiliar warmth of wet and sloppy lips against his own. His heartbeat momentarily stopped, everything that happened in that moment felt so real. And he knew this couldn't have been his imagination.

Content by the elder's shocked expression and the way their lips felt as they connected, a smile graced his facial features. "Forget the goddamn papers, I already ripped them up. And stop with your assumptions, because none of it is true. But I guess I can't really blame you for thinking the way you did."

Sehun inhaled deeply to soothe his erratically beating heart. It was time to reveal his true feelings, he couldn't keep them hidden any longer. Things were obviously getting out of hand. If he didn't act now, he might really end up losing Luhan. "I'm really sorry. You do so much for me, yet I never give you anything in return. And you might not believe me when I say this, but I really do feel something for you Luhan. It's just, I don't really know what it feels like to love someone, but I think I might have found love in you."

He then proceeded to explain how empty and depressed he felt when he'd come home without Luhan being there. How hurt he was being given the divorce papers. But more than anything, he had been scared that he had already lost Luhan before he had the chance to confess what he actually felt for the elder.

Sehun took Luhan's hands into his own as he stared intently into the latter's glistening doe eyes. "If you're willing to give me a second chance, I'd like for us to start over. This time I will make things right between us. I promise to love you the right way, the way you deserve to be."

Tranquility overtook the atmosphere. All Luhan could do was stare back blankly. He feared that as soon as he blinked, Sehun would disappear from his sight, that all this would vanish. He couldn't fully bring himself to believe in the words he thought he heard coming from Sehun.

Seeing this, Sehun worriedly waved a hand in Luhan's face, in an attempt to bring him out of his reverie. "Lu, will you at least say something? Anything?"

"This feels so surreal." Was all Sehun heard through Luhan's incoherent mutters. And before he could even question for clarification, he yelped as a stinging sensation radiated from his cheek.

"W-what was that for?" The younger winced as he rubbed at the source of his pain.

Amidst the whirlwind of emotions, Luhan had extended a hand to give Sehun's cheek a rather harsh pinch. "You felt pain." His eyes then lit up in glee. "That means I'm not dreaming! All of this is real!"

Entangling his arms around Luhan's body, Sehun brought him close and couldn't refrain a soft chuckle at the other's adorable reaction. "So I'll take that as a yes to my previous question?"

Luhan rolled his eyes. "Now you're the one assuming things."

"W-wha?" Sehun spluttered. He'd been thrown off by the abrupt turn of events.

"You call that thing earlier a kiss? I-I won't take your offer into consideration until you give me a proper one." The smaller male felt his cheeks heating up due to his childish demand. After all, where did he get the audacity to request such a thing?

His train of thoughts were discontinued as he once again felt Sehun's luscious lips against his own. Their lips molded together, eventually moving in perfect synchronization.

"Luhan, I love you." Sehun breathed out with sincerity after he broke off their kiss. The beautiful crescent eye smile Luhan yearned to see, finally belonged to him.

A single tear cascaded down Luhan's already tear stained cheeks as an authentic smile imprinted on his lips. He never thought he'd ever hear those three words directed at him from Sehun. "I love you too, Sehun."

The taller then pulled something from out of his pocket, unravelling his fingers to reveal their wedding ring on his palm. "This is where the ring belongs, so don't you dare take it off again." He placed the ring back around the fourth finger on Luhan's left hand before he pulled in for another hug.

"I promise you."

"I'm going to hold you accountable for your words. Now how about we go home?"

Luhan nodded. That word had never given him so much warmth and an overwhelming sense of security as it had in that moment. And he's grateful his love finally found its way to Sehun's heart.