Somewhere only we know

Once Upon A Story

A/N: Perhaps from the title you can tell this story was inspired by this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBOy3AOK3_s

By the way, I used a bit of profanity in here, hope no one minds. Anyways, enjoy!

Featuring: KrisHan, BaekYeol 

---------

"Do you, Park Chanyeol take Byun Baekhyun to be your lawfully wedded husband? In health or in sickness, whether in rags or riches, during the good or bad times? Do you vow to love him until death do you apart?"

Chanyeol looked sincerely into Baekhyun's gleaming eyes, showing off his perfect pearly whites as he answered. "I do."

The priest then turned to the shorter male and recited the same words . "Do you, Byun Baekhyun take Park Chanyeol to be your lawfully wedded husband? In health or in sickness, whether in rags or riches, during the good or bad times? Do you vow to love him until death do you apart?"

" I do." He smiled as a single tear rolled down his cheek.

"You may now exchange your rings."

Their best friends Luhan and Kris who had been standing off to the sides came forward. They each individually opened up the boxes to reveal identical white gold bands with delicate diamonds decorating the middle.

Chanyeol first took the ring from Kris before taking Baekhyun's hand, slipping it on the appropriate finger.

"Congrats Baek." Luhan whispered his blessing. Baekhyun sent a smile in his direction then took the other ring from the box before mirroring Chanyeol's actions.

"By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and husband. You may now kiss."

The taller male made his way towards Baekhyun slowly disclosing the space between them, finally locking their lips in a sweet kiss. This was the moment they'd all been waiting for. Today ends the day of their eight years of dating and the start of officially being married. They have been through more than meets the eye, first with their parent's disapproval which eventually resulted in both being disowned; but in the end their love prevailed. Even though their wedding wasn't grand and consisted only of their closest friends, it was more than they would ever hope for. Granted, they had each sacrificed a lot to be together, but if they had the chance to choose again, they wouldn't change a thing; because it was worth it.

----------

That night, in celebration for the newly wedded couple's dinner, D.O closed his five star restaurant down to the public so they could have it all to themselves. He ordered his chefs to cook all his friends' favorite dishes. They happily chatted the night away, catching up with one another after so many years. 

Kai shared that he and Tao just recently opened up their own studio. Kai fulfilled his dreams of becoming a professional dancer. Tao on the other hand gloated about his travels to different countries to attend wushu competitions and winning awards. In the end they both decided on opening classes to teach anyone that wanted to learn from them. 

Chen happily stated that he got promoted to becoming his department's manager at the video game company he worked for. The others joked that he should hook them up with free video games, or at least give them his discount for when the games are sold in the market. 

Business was still going well for Yixing and Suho. In fact they've accepted new clients into their clinic so they have been extremely busy. Even more so in the winter as the weather only gets colder. 

Xiumin especially flew to Canada from Korea just to attend the wedding. He talked about how much he enjoyed working with kids that are equally as passionate about soccer as he is teaching it. Luhan's eyes practically sparkled at the mention of soccer; Xiumin suggested they play together just like the old times if he comes to visit. 

Kris just observed Luhan silently. He watched as he and Xiumin seemed to go off into their own little world when they discussed soccer. He would be outright lying to himself if he said he wasn't jealous at the sight in front of him. He continued staring in awe. Ever since university finished off, Luhan moved back to Beijing while he stayed in Canada. He didn't know how it was possible that Luhan hadn't aged a bit in the four years they'd been apart. Contrary to that, Luhan seemed to be looking younger and even more beautiful as the years passed. His heart skipped a beat when he heard Luhan's unique laughter; after all, that's how he started falling for the elder. And after all this time, the attraction had not decreased, if anything, the feelings multiplied immensely. 

Suddenly, a soft and slow piano piece resounded throughout the room, cutting through their noise. This immediately caught Kris' attention. His gaze lingering on Luhan, while the others looked all around the room trying to figure out where the music was coming from. A wave of nostalgia hitting him as it continued.

"Wow D.O, I'm so touched you'd go through the trouble of hiring a pianist just for us." Baekhyun joked as he dramatically raised a hand to fan at his nonexistent tears. 

Everyone else broke out in a fit of laughter as D.O just rolled his eyes. 

"Heh, that's actually my ringtone." Luhan chuckled rather awkwardly. "Excuse me, I have to take this." He unintentionally looked up to meet Kris' eyes as he got up to take his call. It was almost as if he'd been momentarily into a black hole, only to be put out of his trance once he heard that cheerful voice on the other end of the line. "Hi Hunnie!" An eye crinkling smile graced his lips with his greeting.  

Kris' eyes trailed after Luhan as the latter disappeared into another room. Who was this Hunnie to Luhan? And why did he look so ecstatic talking over the phone with the person? Maybe the person was his lover or close friend? All these unanswered questions that were surfacing really irked Kris. He scoffed at himself. After how he broke Luhan's heart, what right does he have to be jealous?  

Chanyeol seemed to notice his best friend's odd behavior and turned over to him. "Hey, you alright?" 

"Yeah, I'm good." He shook off the other's concern. 

Before they knew it, it was almost midnight. Everyone still had to go to work early in the morning. They bid their goodbyes and soon the only ones left were the newlyweds and the ex lovers.  

Kris delegated himself to be the driver since he knew Chanyeol and Baekhyun would end up drinking too much on their big day. 

"Are you sure you don't want to stay with us tonight?" Baekhyun asked Luhan for the umpteenth time in the last few minutes. He swung their arms around playfully. 

"I'm sure Baek. I know better than to be third wheeling on the night of your wedding." 

Baekhyun pouted as tears welled up at the brim of his eyes. "B-but I already don't get to see you e-enough. A-and you're leaving me i-in the afternoon." He wailed. 

"Oh Baek!" Tears cascaded down Luhan's cheeks as he pulled the shorter male into his arms. He ran his hands along the other's spine in an attempt to soothe the crying. "I'm sorry, I really wish I could stay longer." That statement had been genuine. He had mustered a great amount of courage to come back to the place that held his most favorable and heart shattering memories. If it wasn't for his best friend's wedding, he wouldn't have bothered. 

Baekhyun sniffled and pulled away with an arm's length between them. "I-I know, and I'm sorry, I shouldn't be so selfish. I appreciate that you still came." Kris and Chanyeol mirrored each other's look of confusion. But that didn't matter as it was only meant for Luhan to comprehend. 

Luhan smiled gratefully. "Thank you. So I'll see you tomorrow before I leave?" 

Baekhyun nodded. "But at least let us see you back to the hotel. It's really late and I don't feel right leaving you by yourself." 

"Don't worry, I'll be fine. Besides, your house is on the opposite end of where the airport is, it's inconvenient." 

The younger male huffed out in defeat, there was no sense in arguing with Luhan, he'd never win. "Fine, but please be safe. Call me as soon as you get back to your hotel room." 

Luhan agreed and with a final hug from Baekhyun, he managed to flag down a cab, waving them goodbye as the driver took off. 

-------

"This is all your fault Kris ING Wu. If not for you, my Lulu wouldn't have to leave me!" Baekhyun started beating and shaking at the driver's shoulders as they stopped in front of a red light. 

Chanyeol sighed as he held Baekhyun back. A drunk Baekhyun versus a sober one was even harder to deal with. "Baek please, not right now." 

"Stay out of this Chanyeol!" He hissed. "I hope you know he fled the country not because he promised to take over his dad's company like he wanted everyone to believe. That was just an excuse." The car came to an abrupt stop as that had been shocking news to Kris. Even Chanyeol was unaware of this. "The real reason is because of you, you left him so heartbroken he moved just to avoid you. If he wasn't such a good friend, he would have rejected the idea of coming back immediately. He begged me not to tell anyone, but I feel like after all these years, you deserve to at least know the truth." 

Some cars behind them beeped as they had been the reason for the buildup of traffic. 

This brought Kris back to his senses and he began driving again. 

The rest of the ride was spent in silence. Baekhyun was still fuming, Chanyeol didn't know what was appropriate to say so he opted for holding the shorter closer and rubbing soothing circles on his arm. While Kris had been submerged in thoughts of Luhan; so distracted that he nearly drove into the wrong driveway. 

"And just so you're aware, part of why I told you all that was so you could feel guilty for the damage you've caused Han."

'Thanks Baek, as if I hadn't already been carrying the burden of guilt.' Kris thought to himself instead of voicing it aloud.

"But Kris, I've been observing you the entire night and it's so flipping obvious the feelings you have for him haven't changed. So if you care enough, you should do something about it, because he may never be coming back to Canada once he leaves."

Kris' head instantly shot up at the revelation. As he studied Baekhyun's rare stoic facial expression and harsh glare, he knew the latter had been serious; that this was definitely not some kind of joke.

"Think about it before you end up regretting it the second time around." Were the last words he shot out before stumbling his way out of the car.

Chanyeol ducked his head back in and flashed Kris an apologetic smile before closing the door. Balancing his husband's weight on top of his own, they eventually made it inside their house.

---------

Luhan hadn't been sure why of all places he wanted to revisit this area. He somehow felt compelled to coming. He got out of the cab and took his time walking around the outside of the university. This was where their story began. 

He had come directly from China, aside from the bit of English he learned back home, he wasn't considered fluent. So during the first year of university, he had been pretty lonely, that was until he met Kris. They clicked instantly as a result of both being Chinese. And through Kris he met Baekhyun and Chanyeol. 

A 20 minute walk from the school brought him to the ravine. Luhan raised his phone to shine around his surroundings. Everything remained the way he'd remembered it. The trees and shrubs which built a mini forest seemed to have grown taller, the leaves have all fallen. The wild flowers have wilted and the little wooden bridge located above the narrow lake was still the same. He made himself comfortable on top of a large rock. 

A small smile stretched across his lips as the memories from his university days suddenly flooded his mind. 

The ravine had been a secluded area, it was easily walked past if one wasn't willing to venture through the tiny forest to discover the beauty on the other side. 

Kris and him had found the place together one day when they decided to take a break from studying. It had also been their secret hideout that no one else knew about; not even their best friends. 

This place had contained his fondest memories. This was where Kris admitted his feelings for Luhan, the same day they agreed to date. This had also been the place where they shared their first kiss. Of course, not so great memories surfaced from their secret hideout too. Whenever they fought they'd come here and eventually make up. But this place was where they'd had their biggest fight, which unfortunately ended their relationship. 

Luhan shook those thoughts aside as he felt his tears threatening to fall from his eyes. 

"For some reason I knew I'd find you here." That once very familiar baritone voice spoke out. It was the first thing he'd said to Luhan all day. 

"What are you doing here?" He didn't even have to glance in the direction to know who it was. 

Kris took a seat on the rock with the closest distance to Luhan. "I want-no, I need to talk to you." He was suddenly feeling nervous around his ex. 

Luhan snorted at the ridiculousness of that statement. "Call me childish, but I really don't want to see you right now, much less talk to you." 

"I know and I'm sorry. I was wrong for-" 

Luhan rudely interrupted him as he didn't wish to listen any further. The damage had been done, and no amount of excuses would amend anything between them. "No Kris, no one was to blame for what happened. I eventually came to respect your decisions and I'm hoping you'll respect me when I say I just want to be alone." 

"You don't think I was equally as hurt as you were that day?" He disregarded the elder's request and practically shouted, losing control of his patience. 

"This coming from the one who initiated the break up?" Luhan scoffed at the irony. "What a great actor you are then, you fooled me completely." 

Silence ensued as the air around them was now thick with tension. Eventually, Kris heaved a sigh to break the tranquility. 

"Look, I didn't come here to argue with you. Don't think I didn't notice, the music for your ringtone is the same one I composed for you. That tells me you haven't completely gotten over us. And obviously this place still holds some kind of sentimental value to you, otherwise you wouldn't have come. " His tone came out soft, as if almost pleading Luhan to just listen to him. 

Luhan bit his tongue, his gaze falling to his feet. As much as he would have liked to deny any of that, it had been the truth. 

"I realize that no matter how many times I end up apologizing, it won't mean a damn thing." Kris in a deep breath to gather courage. After all these years, he was finally going to reveal the feelings he's tucked away deeply within him. 

"Maybe you won't believe me when I say this, but I've really missed you. And after I've had some time to think over what I've done, I regretted it. But Luhan, you have to understand how terrified I was at the time. We both witnessed Baekhyun and Chanyeol being disowned because they openly confessed they were gay and in love. You know how much my mother means to me, especially after my father abandoned us. But as much as I loved you, I was even more scared to lose her. She wanted me to have a real family, one she wasn't able to give me. She wanted to protect me from all the dirty looks and glares I'd get from society once they found out I was gay. At the time I was torn between what to do. Believe me, it wasn't an easy decision to make. " 

Unbeknownst to Kris, Luhan's cheeks had long ago been stained with tears. He really didn't want to continue listening. Yes, he understood Mrs. Wu's perspective, and he knew Kris was only trying to be an obedient son; but that didn't make it any easier for Luhan to accept. This all felt like déjà vu, like they'd gone back in time to the very day of their break up. He barely survived it the first time, he didn't need to relive it again. 

"S-stop Kris, I've heard enough. P-please, I really don't need to be reminded." He stuttered, the strong facade he put up for himself earlier faltered. 

Kris' heart clenched in pain at how broken Luhan sounded. It was more than obvious by now that the latter had been silently sobbing. Luhan was hurt, that was a given. But Kris had to try and make things right between them. The last thing he wanted was for Baekhyun's final words to him coming true. 

On an impulse, Kris buried Luhan into his arms, tightening his grip around the male as he struggled to break free from his grasp. 

"Baby Lu, please." Their close proximity and that long forgotten nickname sent chills down Luhan's spine. He stopped wriggling, now frozen in Kris' embrace. 

Kris sincerely treasured this moment. It felt so heavenly being able to hold Luhan snug in his arms again, to inhale that familiar fresh strawberry scent; really reminds him of the good old days. 

Once his emotions settled down, he explained how over the course of the four years, he hadn't dated. His mother noticed the change in his outlook on life and  personality. Compared to when they were still together, Kris was never genuinely happy and not nearly as ardent about life like he used to be. It was as if on the day Luhan left, he brought Kris' soul with him; only leaving behind the younger's body which pretty much became an empty shell. Soon enough, she couldn't stand how lifeless her son had become. She broke down in front of him, apologizing for intervening with their love. 

"Please, I just want to see you happy again. And if being gay is what it takes then I will try my hardest to be more accepting of that."  He recited his mother's exact words to Luhan. 

Sniffling, Luhan pulled away. "Why are you telling me all this Kris?" He searched the taller male's eyes for an answer. 

Kris held Luhan's hands firmly in his own and stared right back at his glistening doe eyes. "I've never stopped thinking about you. And I know that it's impossible to go back to the way we were before. But I would do anything to have a chance with you again. And I don't care how long that takes because Lu Han, you are definitely worth the wait." 

His heart leaped around within his chest. Luhan could not believe what he was hearing. If not for how real their physical contact felt, he would have concluded he was dreaming.  He was totally speechless. Amidst the whirl of emotions, all he managed to do was lunge forward, crying tears of joy. 

Kris happily wrapped his arms back around Luhan's petite body. A gummy smile spread across his face as he too shed a tear. Finally, he had his lover back beside him; right where he belonged. 

But the blissful moment was short lived as the name "Hunnie" imprinted into Kris' mind. With all that's happened thus far, he'd almost forgotten. 

"Whose Hunnie?" Curiosity got the better of him, putting an end to their beautiful moment. 

Luhan rolled his eyes. But nonetheless he decided to have some fun. "Why? Are you perhaps jealous?" 

Kris gaped at the other. He was bewildered that Luhan was still in the mood to . Moments later, he recollected his composure and cleared his throat. "Listen very carefully, I don't care if this Hunnie is another ex or even your current lover because he or she is going to have to go through me. And I won't be giving up so easily this time around." 

Luhan finally couldn't help but burst out into laughter upon hearing this. 

Kris' eyebrows automatically furrowed in confusion. "What's so funny? I'm being dead serious right now!" 

"Hunnie is my sister's son, which means I'm his uncle not his boyfriend." He chuckled. "But I appreciate you fighting for our love this time, even if it is against a toddler." 

Kris flushed a dark shade of red as he scratched his nape out of embarrassment. 

In the end he decided it didn't matter that he'd made a complete fool of himself. He might have lost some of his dignity, but he gained more than he could ever need. 

Luhan rested his head against Kris' shoulder, fingers intertwined as they watched the sun peak out from underneath the clouds. This marked the continuation of their blooming love story.