Actions speak louder than words

Once Upon A Story

A/N: Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all have a fun but safe break to enjoy with family, friends and loved ones.

Warnings for mentioned mpreg and crappier than usual writing >_< but I still hope you'll enoy reading :P

Featuring: KrisHan, XingTao, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Sehun

------------

 

December 21st

If Kris could choose between cuddling with his boyfriend in the warmth of their home and taking his brother to the airport, there would be no doubt he would've chosen the former. But life doesn't always go as planned, especially not when he has someone like Huang Zi Tao as his brother in law. 

An hour earlier, Yixing and his family showed up at Kris' door. They dropped the bomb on him saying that they had a flight in a few hours and that the triplets would be staying the rest of the month with him. The news had been sudden and knowing Tao, there would be absolutely no room for negotiation. If not for the fact that Luhan adored his nephews so much, Kris would have rejected the idea completely. It's not that Kris didn't like children, he loves them; and though he tries his best to get along with the kids, for the most part they aren't very cooperative. 

Yixing and Tao had already checked in their bags. He and Kris were in line buying dinner for the kids while Tao and Luhan were watching over them. 

"Cheer up ge, it'll be fun." Yixing chuckled dryly, trying to lighten the mood of the atmosphere. 

Kris practically glared daggers in response. "Fun? Ha, do you hear yourself? Even you can't stand your little demons, this vacation is solid evidence!" 

"Hey, I admit that they can be a handful, but deep down they're really sweet kids." Yixing replied somewhat offended. "And you know that we've waited five years for this honeymoon." 

"The unplanned pregnancy was your fault." 

Yixing heaved an exasperated sigh. "My point is, I'd return the favor for you. And look." He pointed to where his kids and their lovers were seated. "Look how much fun Luhan is having with them. At least we know they'll help you keep Luhan happy." 

'I don't need them, I'm capable of keeping Luhan happy myself.' He thought jealously to himself. But he knew it didn't matter how much he disliked the kids, he knew he made the right decision as Luhan much preferred his agreement. 

"The things I go through for Luhan." Kris muttered displeasingly under his breath. 

"That's the spirit!" Yixing beamed as he pat Kris on the shoulder rather harshly. 

They ordered the meals and carried them back to the table. Half an hour later, Kris and Luhan stood by the gate with the triplets as they all waved their final goodbyes to the couple. 

"Be good for your uncles while your daddy and I are gone." Yixing lectured. 

"Don't worry baba, we'll be perfect angels." Baekhyun, the oldest triplet replied with a sweet smile as he held tightly onto one of Luhan's hands. But Kris could see the mischievous glint in his eyes when they made eye contact. 

"You guys better not come back with any more babies. Use protection!" Kris shouted to them. Which earned him a glare from Tao and a look of embarrassment from his brother. 

-------

December 22nd

It started out as a relatively tranquil morning. Well, aside from the repeated chants of  "Uncle Krease" in and out of each side of his ear; but he decided to ignore those.

And when those voices dissipated, he'd thought the kids had gotten tired of pestering him, seeing that he wasn't giving them the satisfaction of waking up annoyed. But not long after, the soles of his feet began itching and soon a tingling sensation took over. He was quick to swing and pull his bottom limbs from their reach, thankfully, he'd been able to contain his laughter. 

Yes, he'd been partially awake but he enjoyed lazing around in bed; it was too comfortable and he relished the warmth of the covers over him. So he wasn't about to let three five year olds ruin this moment for him. The room had once again been engulfed in silence. Within minutes, his mind drifted off into dreamland. 

When he regained consciousness, he had been greeted with a fit of giggles. He thought nothing of it, having barely been awake from his slumber. He still had his eyes closed, but his thick brows furrowed and his face contorted when he suddenly sensed continuous flashing of lights in front of him and an unknown source of heat radiating around his whole body. He wanted to bring an arm up to shield away from the brightness, but found this to be a difficult task as it didn't matter how hard he struggled, he felt strapped in place; preventing any movement. Startled, he immediately open his eyes. 

"LUHAN!!!" Kris hollered at the top of his lungs once he realized the situation he was in. 

The said male literally jumped up in panic when he heard the horrific shouting. Turning off the dial on the stove, Luhan hurried his way up the stairs. He stopped in front of their bedroom; mouth agape and doe eyes widening when he locked gazes with his boyfriend. However, much to Kris' dismay, within the matter of seconds, Luhan joined the triplets in laughing at his misery. 

"Seriously babe? You too?" Kris groaned. Where had all the justice in the world gone? 

He'd been fastened to his bed starting from his shoulders all the way to his ankles by an endless coil of blinking Christmas lights. Surprisingly, the lights hadn't been wrapped around him tight enough to hinder his breathing, but he was literally rendered helpless unless someone got him out of this colorful mess. 

Luhan cleared his throat to stifle the remainder of his chuckles. "Sorry." He apologized sheepishly before turning his attention over to the kids sprawled over on the floor from the laughter. "Alright boys, explain to me why your Uncle Kris is tied to the bed with Christmas lights." 

"It was Baek's idea!" The youngest triplet blurted out under Luhan's scrutinizing gaze, jabbing an accusing finger at his eldest brother. 

"Hunnie!" Baekhyun gasped at having been ratted out; shooting daggers in the other's direction. It was almost identical to the glare that Kris received from Tao back at the airport.

Sehun innocently cowered at the outburst, taking refuge behind Chanyeol. 

Luhan knelt down to level with their height. "Baekhyunnie, is Hunnie telling the truth?" 

There had been no response from the other, but the fact that he shied away from looking Luhan in the eye made the answer obvious. "Y-you said we could decorate the Christmas tree once Uncle Krease got out of bed." 

The adult nodded in confirmation. "Mmhmm, I did." 

"But no matter what we did to wake him up, he just ignored us." Chanyeol continued explaining. 

"Hey Lu?" Kris called out from the bed. 

"Just a minute honey." He dismissed Kris. "So you thought wrapping him up would be a quicker way to wake him up?" Baekhyun snickered with a shake of his head, which caused Luhan to look at them with confusion.

"Baek said that we should decorate a different Kreasemas tree." Sehun answered on behalf of his brother who had been too immersed in mirth. 

Luhan scrunched  his eyebrows up in question. At first he didn't understand the meaning behind those words. But as he allowed the information to settle in, his eyes lit up, and soon after he figured out it had been a pun. As much as Kris would disapprove, Luhan had to admit it was a pretty clever play on words. 

"Baby, can you maybe get me out now?" Kris' impatient voice reminded Luhan of the sole reason why he'd been upstairs in the first place. 

"Come on boys, let's get Uncle Kris out and we can decorate the real Christmas tree after." 

--------

December 23rd

Luhan had been in the kitchen preparing two bowls of cookie batter. One bowl contained oatmeal and raisins, which had been Chanyeol and Kris' favorite. For Sehun and Baekhyun, he grabbed a handful of milk chocolate chips and threw them into the second bowl before mixing the batter with the silicone spatula. 

He had been taken by surprise when he felt a pair of hands snake around his thin waist and yelped when his petite frame had been pulled into a warm embrace. 

"I've missed you." Kris' baritone voice low and soft as he whispered against the shell of Luhan's ear.

Luhan rolled his eyes but nonetheless that didn't stop the smile from appearing on his lips. He knew what Kris was referring to. Luhan loved the kids as if they were his own and he'd been more than excited about being able to spend the holidays with them. But that took away from the amount of time he'd get to spend with Kris. And he missed these simple but meaningful moments with his lover. 

"What happened to bonding time?" Luhan opted to ask instead of replying to the other's statement. 

Kris wrapped his arms tighter around Luhan, now resting his chin upon the latter's shoulder. "We are bonding." 

"Not with me, I meant with your nephews. Now go." Luhan insisted, nudging Kris' side. 

"Fine." He huffed out in defeat. He didn't even attempt to put up a fight. He was head over heels after all, it wasn't as if he was able to deny Luhan of anything. "But I want banana chocolate chip muffins as a reward." 

Luhan chuckled and shook his head at how immature his boyfriend could be. Sometimes it seemed that in front of him, Kris tried to rival against the kids just to prove who was the actual five year old. "That depends if there'll be enough chocolate chips after I'm done with these cookies. Now go you overgrown man child, they're waiting for you." 

Kris frowned at the nickname but disappeared out of the kitchen and made his way into the dining room. The kids had already unpackaged the box. The gingerbread was spread all across the table and the candy decorations were scattered around. 

"Why isn't this thingy working?" Sehun strained out in frustration as he suddenly let go of the piping bag in defeat.

"You guys aren't squeezing hard enough!" Baekhyun stated the obvious. 

"Uncle Krease, help." Chanyeol had been the first to acknowledge his presence. They each held the bag tightly in their tiny chubby hands and attempted yet again to squeeze the life out of the bag. 

Kris cracked a small smile at the image in front of him. For a moment they almost looked like the cute little angels he hadn't known them to be. Unfortunately, he immediately regretted thinking so because just as he was about to assist them, the bag burst open and with the end pointed in his direction, his face had been the target of the splattered green icing. 

"Oopsies." Sehun squeaked. 

Chanyeol gasped as realization struck him. "Uncle Krease looks like the Grinch!" the comment caused them to break out into a fit of giggles as they glanced at Kris. 

Kris stood there dumbfounded then began fuming with rage. "You have got to be kidding me?!" He emphasized each word as he debated whether or not it would be best to use his hands to wipe the gunk off his face. 

Hearing all this commotion, Luhan quickly ran to the source of the noise. His hands reflexively sprang up to muffle his mouth as the sides of his eyes began crinkling; clearly, he was laughing. "Kris honey, you're looking a little green."

 Kris rolled his eyes and visibly shuddered at how terrible the joke had been. He knew the accident probably hadn't been intentional, but he was growing sick and tired of constantly being the laughing stock. Suddenly, he arched an eyebrow, a smirk replacing his previous displeasure as he gestured to Luhan. "Babe, come here." 

Luhan responded by backing away. "No way Mr. Grinch, you're not coming anywhere near me."  And just as he expected, Kris came chasing after him. 

The kids thought it would be fun to join in. "Protect Uncle Lulu!" Chanyeol bravely declared as they stood in front of Luhan with their arms spread apart to try and hide him from Kris behind their small frames. 

That backfired because as soon as Kris charged forward to try and catch them, they dispersed in various directions to avoid getting caught. 

After getting cleaned up, they proceeded to properly decorate the gingerbread as well as help Luhan shape the cookies using Christmas cookie cutters. 

They celebrated their hard work by sitting on the couch near the fireplace in the living room drinking hot chocolate and eating the cookies. 

Kris sneaked a kiss to Luhan's cheek when the triplets weren't looking as thanks for the banana chocolate chip muffins he'd asked for earlier. 

And as much as he wasn't willing to admit, today had been kind of fun. 

--------

December 24th

"Woohoo!!!" Chanyeol and Sehun screamed as they slid down the steep hill in the sled. 

The triplets were tired of being cooped up inside the house and whined for the last couple days to go out and play in the snow. The weather had been bone chilling with the snow blizzard and strong winds, it wouldn't have been safe to be outside. But today was relatively warmer, the sun was shining bright and there was plenty of snow to enjoy outdoor activities. Therefore, the adults decided to bring them to the nearby park. 

Kris slid down in his own toboggan seconds after the two. 

"Yay, we beat you down here Uncle Krease!" Chanyeol exclaimed as they waddled their way over to him in their thick winter clothing. 

Kris stood up and brushed the snow off his snow pants. "I gave you guys a push down so you had a head start-" But he dismissed the rest of his response and chuckled to himself. Why was he even arguing with children? Luhan was right, they did bring out the childish side in him, not that he thought it was anything bad. 

Sehun tugged at Kris' gloved hand to gain his attention. "What's up Hunnie?" 

"I'm bored Uncle Krease." 

"So what do you want to do then kiddo?" 

"Let's go build snowmen with Baek and Uncle Lulu!" Chanyeol suggested. 

Sehun's eyes sparkled with delight upon hearing that. "Yeah!" 

An idea suddenly popped into Kris' mind. "How about we make this more fun?" 

The boys looked at each other before tipping their heads to the side in puzzlement. Kris took this as a sign to elaborate. 

"We race up the hill and whoever gets there fastest gets a prize. Ready? Go!" Kris dashed off without sparing another glance at them. 

"Cheater!" He heard them yelling after him.  

Luhan, who had been busy rolling a snowball with the help of Baekhyun had been abruptly tackled to the white fluffy ground. 

"Yeollie, Hunnie, quick! Uncle Krease is going to eat Uncle Lulu! We have to save him!" They heard Baekhyun hollering faintly in the background. 

The shorter male lay flat with Kris hovering above him. "I win." He announced, descending his head until their frozen lips brushed together. 

Luhan gazed intently into Kris' brown orbs, searching for an answer. "What are you- mhph."  But he didn't give Luhan the chance to continue questioning. He latched his lips onto Luhan's, engaging them in a passionate kiss that instantaneously melted the frost on their lips. 

"Uncle Krease, you cheated!" Their sweet moment was short lived once they felt snowballs being pelted at them, or more specifically at Kris. 

"Don't worry Uncle Lulu, we'll save you from the big scary monster!" 

A snowball to Kris' face was all it took for all hell to break loose. Their previous plans of creating snowmen had long been forgotten as they were occupied in a snowball fight. 

--------

December 25th

1:30 AM, Kris never imagined being awake at such an ungodly hour, even if it was technically Christmas morning. And he wouldn't have been if Baekhyun hadn't come in through their door wailing. 

Luhan the bedside lamp and engulfed the small boy into his arms. "What's wrong baby?" He asked worriedly as he smoothed out Baekhyun's bed hair. 

"H-Hunnie's sick! H-Help him Uncle Lulu!" Baekhyun hiccupped from the excessive crying, panic evident in his tone. 

Kris was now fully awake upon hearing this. They scurried out of their room and into the guest room where the triplets were situated. 

Turning on the lights, they found Sehun wrapped up in the blanket, being rocked back and forth in Chanyeol's hold. The youngest must've fallen asleep but the crease on his forehead was indication enough that he was anything but comfortable. 

"Uncle Krease." Chanyeol looked up at his uncle with glistening eyes. 

"It's alright buddy. Hunnie will be just fine." Kris reassured him, ruffling through his hair. 

Kris placed a hand over Sehun's perspiring forehead. A frown washed over his face as he felt the skin burning up under his flesh. He turned to glance at Luhan who had been waiting by the door, still trying to console a distressed Baekhyun. "He's got a fever." 

"I'll go grab the thermometer and medicine." He replied before setting Baekhyun down on his feet. "Go to Uncle Kris, I'll be right back." 

Baekhyun complied as he lunged into his uncle's awaiting arms. "Hey there Baekhyunnie, Hunnie's gonna be alright." Kris cooed. 

"Looks like we haven't got any pills left. I'll go to the 24 hour drug store to pick some more up. Will you be okay staying with them?" Luhan popped back in with a thermometer in hand. He was already dressed in Kris' long jacket.

Kris nodded for him to go. "Be careful." He called after Luhan.

Sehun had been gently let down to rest on the bed as Kris placed the machine into his ear. When he took it out it read 38.2 degrees celcius. There was a bit of a fever but thankfully it wasn't too overly serious.

"Yeollie, do you think you can go to the bathroom and run some cold water onto a towel for me?" He would've gone himself but he wasn't sure that leaving Baekhyun in his current state was a wise choice.

Chanyeol did as he was instructed, on his way back in, he noticed a blue velvet box and picked it up. He handed the towel to Kris which he placed atop Sehun's still boiling forehead.

"Uncle Krease, what is this?"

Kris' eyes dilated in shock. "It's nothing." He lied. It must've fallen out of his jacket pocket when Luhan rushed out of the room. Well, better here than having been misplaced somewhere else; or worse, having Luhan find out about it. 

However, before Kris could grab it from Chanyeol's grasp, Baekhyun beat him to it. He opened the box to reveal a white gold band with a single diamond in the middle. The letters and symbols WYF <3 LH had been engraved in cursive writing on the inside of the ring.

"Whoa, it's so pretty!" Baekhyun had temporarily forgotten about why he'd been crying in the first place. And seeing as the ring had been a good distraction, that was the only reason refraining Kris from taking it away.

"It's for Uncle Lulu." That came out sounding more like a statement than a question. "I see baba and daddy wearing one all the time too."

Kris merely nodded, astonished by Chanyeol's observations.

"Does that mean Uncle Krease and Uncle Lulu are married?"

Kris scratched at his nape awkwardly. How did crying kids and a fever all of the sudden turn into a talk about marriage? But nonetheless he still answered them honestly. "No, not yet."

"Are you planning on purposing then?"

The adult expressed a look of confusion before realizing what it was that Baekhyun was inferring. "You mean proposing?"  In which the kid responded by bobbing his head up and down. "No, not today."

"Don't worry Uncle Krease, we've got you covered." Chanyeol confidently proclaimed.

Kris stared warily at him. He wasn't sure what Chanyeol meant by what he said and truthfully, he'd been kind of scared to find out. Unfortunately, as he was just about to decline their offer, Luhan trudged in with a mug of water and a spoon for the correct amount of liquefied medication for Sehun's age.

"Hunnie, wake up baby." Luhan cooed soothingly into the little boy's ear. He assisted Sehun in taking the medication before lying the latter to lean against him. "How are you feeling?" He asked as he carded his fingers through Sehun's messy hair.

"Tired." Sehun mumbled as he rubbed at his eyes with his tiny fists.

Chanyeol clambered into Luhan's lap, beside his brother. "Uncle Lulu, Uncle Krease has something to tell you."

Luhan averted his attention from the two boys sitting on his lap over to his lover. "Hmm?" He hummed gesturing for Kris to say whatever it was that had been on his mind.

And at the sudden attention, Kris visibly choked on air. He underestimated these kids when he thought they weren't being serious. "N-nothing. It's nothing important."

Baekhyun huffed out in dissatisfaction at the response. He then gave Luhan the box that he'd been holding the entire time. And at this, Kris' eyes practically popped out of its sockets. Reaching out for it had been a futile attempt as Luhan had already pulled the box open.

The elder's eyes glimmered with tears as he gazed up at Kris. "What's the meaning of this?"

"I-" Kris gnawed at his lower lip, mentally cursing at himself. After all, things weren't supposed to turn out this way. But since it's already happened, it wasn't as if he could avoid any of it now. He gave an exasperated sigh as he began his explanation.  "I was uh...planning on proposing to you tonight. I even had the restaurant we first met in booked a month in advance all to ourselves. I just wasn't expecting the triplets staying with us for Christmas. I wasn't going to mention it at all but I had the ring in the jacket you're wearing and I guess it fell out. And well, you know the rest."

Luhan clasped a hand over his mouth at the revelation. "Oh Kris, I-" He became speechless as more tears impaired his vision.

"Uncle Lulu." Baekhyun crawled over to sit next to Luhan on the spacious bed and held his hand. "Uncle Krease can be childish and sometimes really mean and-"

"Don't forget he can be scary too. Especially when he gets mad, his eyebrows reminds me of angry birds. Oh, and when he smiles real big, his gums look kind of ugly." Chanyeol interrupted his brother, afraid that he'd somehow forget to mention those things. This earned him a disapproving glare from Kris.

Baekhyun cleared his throat. "Right, what Yeollie said too. And even though we pranked and bullied him, he never stopped playing with us. He's been really nice to us and he cares about us. So I know he will care for you too. Uncle Lulu we think Uncle Krease is worth marrying."

Luhan let out a chuckle as he finally shed his tears. At the sudden confession, Kris' tears began b at his eyes. Never would he have imagined his heart would swell at how touched his nephews made him feel.

Silence ensued for a while before Baekhyun became impatient and urged Kris to say something. "Uncle Krease, don't be shy."

Kris took Luhan's other hand that Baekhyun wasn't occupying. "I-uh, I'm sorry. This wasn't my ideal way of proposing to you. But you know what? They're right, I have an infinite number of flaws, but I'm thankful I found someone who can accept me for the way I am; shortcomings and all. I really do care about you Han, and I love you more than anything else in this world. Without you I wouldn't have a purpose to continue living. You're the only one I want to spend my forever with. As long as I'm still alive and breathing, I promise to love and cherish you until the end of time." He got off the bed and dropped on one knee in front of Luhan. "Luhan, will you marry me?"

"Please marry our Uncle Krease." Chanyeol begged by tugging at Luhan's arm.

Sehun copied his older brother's actions despite not knowing what's been going on. "Yeah, Uncle Lulu. Marry Uncle Krease."

Luhan vigorously nodded his head as he disentangled their hands to wave his in front of Kris. Kris beamed his signature gummy smile at Luhan as he retrieved the ring from Baekhyun. He carefully slid the ring on Luhan's finger before bringing their lips together for a quick kiss. 

The kids cheered and they all gathered together in a group hug.

This wasn't the Christmas that Kris was used to, and the proposal was definitely far from what he had initially planned, there were no flowers, no beautiful scenery like he'd imagined; but they were in the warmth of the place they called their home and with people they loved, it was simple but absolutely perfect.  And really, that's all that matters.