Birthday Surprise

Navillera's Border

The morning of the Haesang’ Princess’ birthday had finally come. All preparation had done splendidly by the servants like always since fortunately, there was not much to alter from the Crown Prince’s birthday ceremony which held one week before. It was grand needless to say from the light pink flowers as decorations down to the seemingly endless path of red carpet, leading to the massive ballroom. Colourful streamers hung around the mentioned room along with a band of musician who apparently busying themselves by assembling their instruments. To conclude, things could have been perfect. That was until someone over in Seonghwa did not join his family for breakfast that morning.

 

“Where is he? He’s usually down by now.” The Queen of Seonghwa voiced to his husband in concern. She had her eyes on the closed door for the past twenty minutes as she occasionally tapped on the table with her fingers with hope that the time would fly and her one and only son would walk through the entrance like he supposed to. “I wonder what’s taking him so long. He knows that we have to leave by ten if we are to be over at the Haesang’s palace at twelve.” She continued.

 

It was surprisingly silence without the sound of chopsticks and spoons clanking by the royal Park family at the time. The kitchen staffs already brought and served the breakfast and for that day, they purposely made a simple meal as it was a request made by the Crown Prince himself. The food was getting cold and the silent dining room had caused a particular servant to be wary of the next door situation.

 

Walking out with a puzzled expression, Taehyung stopped by the door that connected the busy kitchen with the dining area. Just like the King and Queen, he too was taken aback seeing that his friend was not in the room yet. It was not normal to see an empty seat on the Queen’s opposite. He wanted to stay quiet by the door, not wanting to gain the attention of the Crown Prince’s parents but the door made a soft squeak when he accidently leaned too much for his own want.

 

Turning their mind off the entrance to see Taehyung by the kitchen door, he sensed a worried look on the mother’s eyes. It was the same as his mother’s when he randomly disappeared from the palace ground during his younger days. So he knew what would come from right after which he politely walked by after getting a new instruction.

 

A light knock on the door to Jimin’s room was usually all any servant would ever need if one was to get any form of respond from the young Prince. Instead of a short reply like ‘come in’ or the one word ‘yes’, Taehyung had his head tilted sideways once he heard nothing beyond the closed door. After letting out a long sigh, he decided to turn the knob himself before stepping into the dimly lit room.

 

The only source of light was coming through the draped window which he slid open as soon as he walked pass the bed only to turn to a shivering figure under the comfort of his blanket. It had been a long while since he had to be the alarm clock for the male and it worried him to see his friend’s condition. Patting him on the shoulder, he finally made an attempt to wake the fellow up.

 

“Hey, wake up little one. Breakfast already served and your parents are waiting for you down at the dining room. Don’t want to be late for the birthday celebration if I am you.” The purple head one spoke urgently as he shook Jimin’s on the shoulder. The Crown Prince however remained the same with closed eyes as he lightly shook his head, signalling his servant friend a negative message. Well, that was what Taehyung assumed anyway until he brushed his friend’s fringe and placed his hand on the forehead out of curiosity.

 

Eyes widened, Taehyung gasped in surprise once his palm landed on the fellow’s forehead. Registering the unusual body temperature, he instantly flew in his butterfly form to the dining room and delivered the shocking news. Upon hearing their son’s sickness from the royal healer, the royal couple had no choice but to leave Jimin yet again at the palace as they prayed for him to get better.

 

With a tray of warm ginseng soup and medicine which the healer prescribed, Taehyung placed the food on the nightstand by Jimin’s bed before approaching the currently dazed Prince. It was Mrs Kim’s idea to have her son bringing the food instead of other servant with thought he could help his friend to feel a tad better. His eyes were staring at the opened window in wonder and his friend knew the look, judging that they had been friends for so long. He waved his hand in front of Jimin and that managed to cut his attention from whatever he was thinking.

 

“The healer told me that it was just a high fever. So don’t think about it that much alright.” Taehyung told him as he found himself a seat on Jimin’s left side. He did not tear his gaze away though which made Taehyung grew even more troubled. It was normal for them to have their own comfortable bubble of silence but it was not a comfortable one. “Was that the entire thing the healer managed to tell you?” Jimin questioned after a couple of minutes passed.

 

“Yeah, why are you asking that? You’re not that sick, are you?” He asked with his eyes on the fellow’s side profile. “I guess he didn’t tell you everything.” The reply was purposely left hanging and Taehyung noticed a foreign vibe emitting from the Prince. Other than the fact he looked incredibly tired, he seemed distant as if his body was not there, in the same room with him.

 

“Jimin, if there is something you want to tell me, you better do it because you know how I don’t like cliff hanger.” The servant friend confessed with a hint of annoyance in his tone. His brain had a lot more things to think about but that did not mean he did not care for the Prince. He only wanted answers to his questions but why was it hard for him to reply?

 

“It was the cliff I have to be at now, apparently.” Jimin said something even more confusing. Nevertheless, it did not stop there. Not when he could see Taehyung on the edge of bursting from the corner of the eyes. “Is it too late to head over to the Haesang’s Palace, Tae?” He asked what appeared to be a very easy question to answer. Before giving out a solid answer, the asked one glanced at the clock and nodded.

 

“It’s only 11.30 so it’s not too late. In fact, it’s still early. You can go but not until you tell me what’s going on, right now.” Urgently, he slung his arm around Jimin’s shoulders, attempting to get on the fellow’s good side. At long last, the troubled male pushed the hand off before glancing to his side, looking at his friend.

 

“The healer asking me weird questions that I had no idea what he talked about. After that, he began to recite some sort of mantra or something.” Upon longer explanation being made, half an hour passed when it was Jimin’s turn to land his eyes on the wall clock. “Come on now Tae before it’s too late!” He suddenly sprung of his bed and sprinted over to the closet to get ready.

 

“I hate to bring up bad news to you but your parents had already taken the horse carriage with thought you’re not going. So there’s no option besides walking and Haesang is a long journey walk.” Taehyung said after joining his friend’s frantic preparation. “And why are you so enthusiastic of going there anyway?”

 

“First, we’ll find another way to go to Haesang and secondly, I don’t know. I just felt like I will miss something out if don’t attend.” Jimin replied hastily and stepped out of the closet in new set clothing which one could tell him was indeed Seonghwa’s precious Crown Prince as soon as he entered the palace.

 

Smiling brightly, he adjusted the small crown located on his head, the one he finally could wear after so long. He was not a fan of wearing fancy headgear around the palace but that day was an exception since it would be logic to deliver a good image across the border. The servant friend though simply had his arms folded against his chest as he eyed the Prince from the exit, secretly admiring the dashing look presented that he wished he could wear the same in the future.

 

“You’re lucky I’m in charge of taking care of you today which means I’m off kitchen duty the whole day. The least you can do is helping me get ready too, don’t you think?” Taehyung jokingly stated with a smirk lingered on his lips but soon vanished when Jimin dragged him over to the closet and threw him a couple of article of clothing on him.

 


 

The ballroom was already packed for an event that started relatively as early as twelve. Just like her brother’s eighteenth birthday celebration, the palace doors were opened for everyone to join in the ceremony. Fortunately, an hour flew by fast once she met with her two friends who apparently had no improvement in terms of their way of socialising. Jiyeon did not mind it nevertheless since that was what made them amusing from the start anyway.

 

As they were caught in their own bubble of conversation, the three of them heard an announcement being made regarding the arrival of the King and Queen of Seonghwa. A smile unexpectedly came upon the Princess’ face once she saw the two walking into ballroom. Her two friends seemed to know her intention since her wandering eyes were a tad give away. Jungkook merely chuckled.

 

“I sure hope the Crown Prince will make it this time too. He never showed his face, ever. I wonder why.” He purposely stated when he too glanced over at the royal Seonghwa couple. He even tried to hold in a laugh since he mentioned about the Prince as if he never acquainted him before in his life. Truth to be told, he was more curious if his Seonghwa friend would tag along, remembering the fact they were close the last time he met. “I guess that’s my cue to take my leave. I’ll meet you two later?” Jiyeon softly spoke and once she saw her friend gestured towards her parents, she finally left to join them.

 

It would be a lie if she was to say she was not saddened upon knowing the Crown Prince had failed to attend another Haesang’s celebration. The mysterious vibe he had been carrying around was slowly killing her but that did not wipe her smile entirely. She needed to appear happy on her birthday, right? Wishing the Prince would feel better soon was all she could express. Unlike Myungsoo who voiced his true disappointment, yet again, she could not bring herself to say it.

 

In her mind, Jiyeon had this way of thinking that she had an image as the Haesang’s Princess to keep on track. People beyond the palace pictured her as someone intellectual, down to Earth and more positive adjective she could ever conjure up in her train of thoughts. The exchange of conversation between the two rulers of Navillera had never been her forte which was why she only remained silent, giving out her opinion one or two in middle without appearing too obvious that she felt a little bit left out.

 

Politely bowing at them as she decided to leave, she thought it would be nice to wander around the ballroom as her eyes tried to find her two friends once again. Her finding stopped couple of times as the people good-naturedly wished her since it was her day after all. Feeling dejected, Jiyeon’s shoulders slumped and her lips pouted. Taking a seat right at the window, she sighed.

 

From where she was gazing, the front yard was also filled with more people who just came and went out of the palace grounds. The decorations were as beautiful as the interiors and she thought the servants must worked way too hard to make the palace looked great. She felt like she should do something to return in the near future. A light giggle escaped her lips when she saw her gardener friend gave a single stalk of Daisy to a pretty young lady. And her mind wandered off until she overheard the yard suddenly gasped in unison.

 

Jiyeon’s eyes were on her parents while her mind came back to reality and her head turned back to the window only to witness an event which never happened within the Haesang’s palace ground. Jumping off her seat, she placed her right palm of the window as she gapped at the guest’s grand entrance who had taken her breath away.

 

“Who is he?”