Writings From The Past

Navillera's Border

Fluttering gently on her pair of chestnut brown wings, the trio took the arrow’s instruction as they ascended up to their location. What perked their interest was the fact that there was no any other form of going up other than climbing and in the Princess’ way, flying. She could reach the top in less than ten minutes but her two males acquaintances thought it might be challenging for them to hold onto the rocks and tree roots that conveniently sticking out for them. Of course, the Princess had no idea what was running in their minds other than the fact maybe they were indeed still boys at heart and wanted to relive their old days as a child through climbing.

 

After minutes of panting and aching arms, the three of them managed to land their bottoms on a flat surface. Looking upwards, there were still metres away of unknown but they had a good feeling their destination was not far as the mist surrounding them growing thicker. Just like what he could recall from the book, Jimin wiped off the beads of sweat that streamed down to his neck. Once they thought it was safe enough for the Princess to join them, Jiyeon returned back to her human form before plotting in the middle of the two.

 

“Seriously you two, we can always fly up there. Why are you guys being so stubborn?” Jiyeon spoke as she had her eyes on both of them, exchanging her views from time to time. She did not get any answer fast but she could see them making an intense eye contact as if they were talking telepathically to each other. Jungkook was literally glaring at the Crown Prince when the latter simply shook his head. It was just the of the eyebrow he needed though because in the end, Jimin slumped in defeat.

 

“I can’t fly.” He admitted without any pause before looking at the Princess who had her head tilted sideways as if she did not understand the words he said. “You don’t know? But you’re the Crown Prince and your hai-”

 

“I can’t fly, Jiyeon. I can’t be like you two; becoming a beautiful, colourful and free flying butterfly. I dyed my hair just so no one will be suspicious of why the ‘Crown Prince’ still has his hair black. That’s my back story.” Jimin cut her sentences of once he knew what Jiyeon wanted to say. He even air-quoted two main words just so he could make his sentence clearer. Everyone had the same set of thinking, he felt it right from the day when he realised he was unlike other. The girl questioned her friend and earned a nod as was it the truth. There was guilt bubbly inside her and she apologised.

 

“There’s no need to apologise. Apparently most of the Seonghwa royals already knew it but I have a good idea that my father made them shut their mouths. He too was afraid if the news was to be revealed. It’s a shame really. I might be a Seonghwa but I’m not worth as a Navillera.” He continued on before letting out a long sigh. The older one managed to pat Jungkook on the back after making his way towards the fellow and thanking him.

 

“Let’s start moving again. The longer I stay here, the more stories I’ll open and most of them are not even decent.” They stood up from their sitting position and walked to the cliff once again. The two were about to hold on the wall, the Princess spoke. “I’ve been getting dreams these days. Not the typical ones. There was fire, everywhere and a blue, dazzling blue figure floating around.” Stopping their actions, Jiyeon’s eyes met the ground. The story was not supposed to be continued but she did anyway.

 

“Jungkook and I went to see the fortune teller and you know what that old woman said to me? She said nothing about it but instead she was throwing questions and weird mantras.” Jungkook’s feet landed on the solid ground at once before turning his head to his side where Jimin apparently was also deep in thoughts. However, his ears perked in anticipation and he finally asked.

 

“When I tell you about sharing your problems, you meant all this is the problem? Can I know at least, what was the question she told you?” The Crown Prince advanced closer and closer and finally stopping inches from her. He took her chin in his hand before gently moving it upwards so their eyes would meet. After letting go, Jiyeon added, “She asked ‘I am the one, aren’t I?”

 

There was it the sound of sort of imaginary explosion inside his head. It sounded much like fireworks lit up during festivals and ceremonies back at the palace. His heart was racing and his eyes, he could only stare at her in wonder because for the strangest reason he felt a spark upon hearing her statement. Those words were not uncanny to his ears as he too heard of it before. Read them if he could add. Apparently the only reason why she was brave enough to ask Jungkook to take her to the woods was because of her reading.

 

“Jimin?” Jungkook called out for the Prince’s name when he saw him hastily moving towards the cliff once again but that time, a new surge of energy came into him, flowing in his vein like a stream of calm water hitting on obstructive rocks. “Uh, what’s wrong with him now?” The youngest one voiced in concern when he realised his calls were deemed useless as the Prince continued to set his feet up higher and higher. Taking one last look at the Princess, she plastered on an apologetic look. She could not stop herself from telling but she felt she could trust him so no harm in trying, right?

 

Jungkook had no hesitation in joining the other male by imitating his actions and took note of where the Prince had once landed his feet on. Jimin let out a soft grunt once in a while as his hand grasped on fragile pieces of rocks and such yet he was very determined to reach the top. It was difficult as he went higher which he halted a moment to look down where Jungkook was hanging.

 

“Jungkook, you can always fly to head up there. Wait for me with Jiyeon. I don’t think it’s that far anymore.”

 

“Are you sure?” Jungkook replied in a question as he looked on his right side to see Jiyeon floating. If only he could tell her expression, he guessed that she was reluctant to head over first as well, just like him. In her small butterfly form, she fluttered her wings faster to fly up to Jimin’s spot. He wanted to smile as he thought the girl might already move one step ahead of her but stopped when he saw her landing on a tree root sticking out for him.

 

Jiyeon changed her location again, and again, and again and it took him seconds to realise what she was intended to do. She was giving him a head start of where to and where not to hold on, making his movement increased its pace. He grew warm at the kind thought. She was indeed the kind Princess which people had stated and even more from what he heard back at her palace ground.

 

He could feel it. He could feel it at last. A soft patch of grass; located in his hands as he placed his hand on what he assumed to be the edge of the cliff. Both were sprawling almost instantly as soon as their feet touched another flat ground after their break. The Princess was smiling brightly at them as she gently landed her hand on the youngest shoulder, apparently feeling proud knowing that though he was annoyed the fact he had to act kind but she knew the fellow had good intention.

 

“Well, here we are at the top of Mount Navillera.” Jungkook began the conversation, earning a tired nod from the Prince before turning his gaze over the mist surrounding them. They had no idea how long it took to be up there but long enough to feel numbness in his aching arms. Unlike the Crown Prince, the only form of exercise he did was pulling and cart pushing back and forth to the Haesang marketplace and palace.

 

Beyond their sight was a magnificent view of the whole Isle of Navillera. Though it was slightly obscured however the three of them could make out the two palace grounds on each of the two sides of the island. One appeared to be bigger that then other and maybe that was the fact that the Haesang palace extended the high walls just so they could access the lake behind them. While the two Haesang people fascinated by their birth land, Jimin had his eyes on his part where he could see the palace grounds, the village centre and other unfamiliar location that he wished to visit soon.

 

Jimin, Jungkook and Jiyeon let out a long sigh in synchronise as their eyes met with each other. There were proud smiles carved on their faces that were before they instinctively turned their heads away from the sides to their back where a massive boulder stood tall. Being the ones off higher status, Jimin consciously made his way followed by the two Haesang. They sensed a mysterious vibe coming off the ancient looking area. Turning their heads up, they finally saw it.

 

There were three sets of huge stones, piling on top of one after another. The mist was not helping their vision at all as it blocked most of what waiting for them. Jimin was the most curious one among the tree as he tried to recall his readings. The book was nothing compared what he was witnessing with the two. It was more than he ever imagined. He turned around; he quickly made a contact with Jiyeon who returned the same puzzled expression. What was they supposed to do up there?

 

“Guys, come here and check this one out.” Jungkook broke the silence as they saw him gestured them to come over with his right arm. His eyebrows were furrowed and same applied to the two royals once they reached the spot.

 

Laid in front of the three was a metre high grey stone with weird writings on it. Green moss already covered most of the unclear message. Their eyes met again and it was the same worried yet very intrigued set of emotion set on the faces. Jimin was the first one to act after the feeling of uneasiness came washed up in his heart. It was an unsettling situation as he felt burdened and a tinge of hesitance. There was a gap of a moment when suddenly he felt a hand landed on his left shoulder while someone tugging him by his right arm.

 

It was the two friends, Jiyeon and Jungkook eyeing on him as if giving him their trust through a mere eye contact. They went that far and they knew Jimin could decipher the ancient writing. And he too was very sure he understood the writings from the past. He remembered something might happened after stepping on the land and it unquestionable to say that even Jiyeon knew the consequence of his next action.

 

All he needed was one touch; one scrap of the moss to reveal the writing. That was all he needed. When he felt Jiyeon held his arm assuredly, he had a feeling that she too had long waited for the result of their endless search. It could possibly be the answers to their questions. Strangely enough, it was not a possibility anymore. The Crown Prince was very sure of his decision. After letting out a long sigh, he finally scratched off the moss.

 

The next thing the three friends could remember was a bright light, shining in their faces as it blinded their eyes in mere seconds. There was peculiar sound of a man speaking to them and visions of the land of Navillera playing right in front of them. They could not make sense of the things they had been getting but one thing managed to embed their minds and surely it was not just a pesky message from the past.

 

It was an ancient, uncovered prophecy regarding the future of Navillera.

 

Disturb not the harmony of water and fire

Thus disruption shall fall due to mere desire

Hereby the chosen ones came to surface

Steadfast, passionate and stepping up with the right pace

Facing foes with might and no fright

Concurring the isle of darkness and light

Hence the two vanquish the broken

And all success shall be spoken