The Sudden Invitation

Navillera's Border

Concentration is the key to a great mind. It was a necessity in each and every single one of anyone, really. That was what he believed anyway and there he was by the lake as per usual as he was being one with nature and enjoyed the remaining spring breezes. The male sighed calmly with his eyes closed before summoning the water particles to get together, forming a drop of water on mid-air, bigger than his size. It was the size which had taken him months to master after the endless sparring and theoretical lessons. However, most of his knowledge was collected on his own, out beyond the palace wall.

 

As a twenty one year old Crown Prince of Haesang, it was only time would tell him to take over his father’s throne but seeing the King was still standing strong and wise; his turn might take later than soon. Not that he minded anyway since he never felt ready to take over one part of Navillera especially when troubles were harbouring on their side. Other than learning, he had to throw away his personal times for the sake of his people, listening to their problems and figure out an answer for them instead of his father. Apparently it was a form of practice for the fellow Prince.

 

Luck was on his side at last when Crown Prince Myungsoo had a time on his own. Once he turned to his current age, things were not easy for him as he began to realise what was the function of a Crown Prince around the palace and out beyond. Sure, he had the chance to roam around the village area. Nonetheless, he had to be walked about with palace guards constantly checking on him and it indeed ticked him off even the slightest. But he decided to pack the burden away for the time being and continued on with his practices.

 

The sun beamed high up in the sky as the afternoon flew in to replace the chilly morning with a warmer atmosphere. Myungsoo was rarely the kind to keep track with his time which was why when lunch session came, his sister walked pass the garden in surprise. Though she tended to be busying herself with other things lately, she had noticed her brother’s occasional disappearance.

 

“Myungsoo, it’s time for lunch.” Jiyeon called out softly but loud enough for the Crown Prince to hear from about a metre away. She was already nearby by the time he turned his attention on her. She could tell that he had been trying hard to master his power judging on how the water did not splash when he landed his eyes one hers. “Oh, right. I’ll be right there.” He replied before casually snapping his fingers, causing the bubble of water behind him to fall gently back on the lake.

 

“I see someone is getting cooler these days.” The Princess complimented as both of the royal Kim siblings began to make their way to the dining hall where their parents might already been waiting for them. Good naturedly chuckle, Myungsoo simply shook his head as he humbly pushed the compliment with a reply, “I still have a lot to learn. But let’s not talk about me because I’m more curious about you. Are you feeling any better?” He ended with a question. The girl tore her gaze off her brother’s face and sighed.

 

“Well, physically I’m doing great. But why do I have been getting a bad feeling these days? And that’s what I’ve wanted to say to you.” Jiyeon began and bravely turned her head only to face his side profile. He seemed occupied and he indeed was occupied. Frankly speaking, it had been four weeks since she went ahead on an unplanned trip to the forest which was unknown on his side. His sister used to tell him every plan she had in mind but not that one time.

 

Kim Jiyeon was found unconscious in the middle of the garden, right at the front court from what he briefly remembered because it was him who found her there after another day of sparring lesson. His legs immediately ran to her weak figure before he called out for help to bring her over to her room. Five days later, her eyes opened heavily and again he was there to witness it. He had too much worry in his mind and it was not helping the fact that he lost concentration on field for the whole week.

 

The first question his sister asked as soon as she regained her energy was, “Is mother alright?” It sounded like a typical question coming from her but that should be the least of her concern, right? Yes, the Queen of Haesang might act a tad strange for the past few days after her princess’ birthday but that was nothing. He hoped it was nothing. It was until Jiyeon told Myungsoo about the things she had encountered.

 

He heard of the prophecy before when he was young as it was told as a mere story before finding out more about it in his lessons. He never believed it at start. However, hearing her telling everything, it felt real – too real for good.

 

“Myungsoo, are you alright? You hardly touch your meal.” The King stated in concern. Jiyeon was already eyeing on him across the table with the same expression. He turned to his side however only to see an empty seat. Shaking his head hastily, Myungsoo let out an awkward chuckle as he uttered a short ‘nothing’ and gesturing his family to continue.

 

“Alright son, I have news for you. Jiyeon, you should listen as well because apparently you’re in it too.” Their father started the conversation as soon as the kitchen servants walked in, taking their empty plates away. “Do you have to tell it now? Not trying to be rude but I have a sparring session to attend.” The Crown Prince instantly reminded him after sipping his last drop of drink.

 

“It is regarding the sparring session you had been taking, Myungsoo. The Seonghwa royals, mainly the Park royals invited us and the other Princes of the other quarters for a friendly joust. Apparently, it had always been a Seonghwa event but after the multiple friendly and political encounters, they decided to let us attend. And strangely enough, the Princesses are also invited for supports.” The King explained without any halt but he did exchange a couple of looks with his children.

 

“What kind of joust will it be, father? And when will it be hold?” Jiyeon excitedly asked for two reasons: one would be because she never been to Seonghwa and the second…one should know the reason actually. “If you think this is your time to be with their Crown Prince then forget it, Jiyeon. You should know your limit.” The father suddenly said in a shockingly strict tone which he seldom used on them or on Jiyeon to be exact since Myungsoo was not looking so surprise at the statement.

 

“What’s wrong with meeting with the Crown Prince? I see no harm done. You told me to acknowledge him during my birthday.” The Princess replied defensively as her eyebrows furrowed. “Yes, father told you to acknowledge him not to converse him for the whole day. I knew it, inviting them was a bad idea especially that Crown Prince of theirs. Aren’t you curious of why he never attend any of our festivities until your birthday? And why his family suddenly came without him and then he came on a horse. I mean, who does that? We Navillera fly to our destination.” Myungsoo spoke his coped thoughts.

 

“Well, maybe he wanted to be different? Or even has a problem?” Jiyeon defended and honestly, she did not even realise her own talk until she saw the puzzled expression on the two males around her. “You speak as if you know him for so long. Say, does this have to be any relation with you suddenly found, passed on one month ago?” Her shoulders locked in place as she was taken aback by the question. No, the answer was no, barely. They only exchanged some information, right?

 

Of course not, she was lying to herself and the silent was a tell-tale sign that she was thinking too deeply on something. If mind reading was a power they possessed, she could end up badly. Maybe they might even get to know what had been running in her mind as soon as her body began to function again. The prophecy, that was all she could remember and she had a good feeling Jimin would be in the same condition and also Jungkook.

 

She need to meet them both and if through the sudden joust they decided to hold over at their part of Navillera, she would go no matter what it takes. “As much as I want to stay and talk, I’m getting late, father. Master Seo will be furious if I decided not to show up. I missed more than I should already.” Myungsoo politely bowed to his father before walking out of the room with an urgent set of stride towards the training ground.

 

Once he was out, silence greeted the father and daughter in the dining hall. He did not want to appear strict to their children. He was not that kind of father to begin with as he would always portray a calm character on the outside. Preferred to leave the work as a King when he was in the dining hall, he exhaled to ease his tension.

 

“I was not trying to prevent you from talking with the Seonghwa’s Crown Prince, Jiyeon. I just don’t want you to get hurt. There is a reason why the Haesang and Seonghwa leave separately on one island.” The father told as he stood up from his seat to head over to his only daughter. “But seriously father, the farmer boy that swings by our palace has no problem becoming friends with a Seonghwa.” Jiyeon said as she indirectly spoke about Jungkook and Taehyung’s friendship with hope her father would understand.

 

“Yes, friends, that is possible but one thing you should keep in mind. You’re Haesang’s precious Princess. The girls out beyond the wall look up on you and dream of becoming like you. Falling for a Seonghwa will only create a mess and truth to be told, it will not last long.” He ended with a long sigh. “I’ll tell you more about it once you’re ready.”

 

Turning his back on her, Jiyeon continued to stare longingly at the slightly ajar door which his father had left. Why everyone was speaking to her in riddles? That was not even considered as one but still…why?

 

Why were they so against her being close to a Seonghwa, the Crown Prince of Seonghwa to be precise? And where was her mother anyway? Why was she not down, eating lunch with them? She looked fine during breakfast? One by one question came raining in her mind, creating a massive flood of confusion. To say she is the wisest among all Princesses in Haesang was an understatement now because she felt stupid for not being able to understand her surroundings.

 

“He didn’t even tell me when the friendly battle takes place.” She said and as much as she wanted to pull off her hair, she just could not as there was her image to keep up with. Digging her chin deeper into the between on her legs, she hugged them closer to her chest and grumbled to no one in particular but thankfully someone just had to fill in, always at the most perfect time. The silence became annoying to her as the seconds ticked by.

 

From the corner of her eyes, Jiyeon saw his sunset orange hair shining bright like she used to remember. It had been a long time since the last time she saw him too. And she had been sitting in front of her beautiful batch of fresh and ever growing flowers the minutes after her father left her alone at the dining hall. “Why such the long face, Lady Jiyeon?” He genuinely questioned as he got down, closer to her point of view. She was staring at the flowers in front of her where some were leaning forward more than it supposed to.

 

Jiyeon on the other hand simply laughed upon hearing him talking which made him more confused than her. Upon asking about it, she turned her attention towards him and replied, “You’re the only one addressing me with ‘Lady’. I just realised it just now. Other would address my name with ‘Princess’ at the front.”

 

“Well, are you not a lady? Because you seem like one unlike any other Princesses I bumped onto in the other quarters.” Hoseok stated honestly with a small smile on his face. “You worked at the other quarters too? I never saw you there when I was younger.”

 

“My lady, I am not that older than you. We are just one year apart.” He added on with his right index finger up, indicating the number. It was actually fascinating how often she would forget his age. Also, he and his father moved to the palace ground while he was ten so that should explained how she never saw him. She was at the stage of full time learning at that moment. “Anyway, I heard about you passed out for days, a month ago, am I right or am I wrong about that?” He finally asked.

 

“I was…” Jiyeon began before smiling at him and told him some of the things she had been through. It felt good to let go the piled up feelings but she kept important things regarding her escaping the palace with Jungkook, meeting with Jimin and the prophecy. She was not ready to share that part other than Myungsoo just yet. She hoped her brother did not tell anyone though.

 

“Alright then but I do know when the competition the Seonghwa royals prepared. I believe it will be in a fortnight.” The gardener said as he had his thumb and index finger rubbing his chin knowingly. “Why do you know so much about what’s going on anyway? You never have been to Seonghwa before, right?” She asked in puzzle because the older male always had a thing to say to her which never ceased to amuse her.

 

“I overheard a Princess said over at the East Quarter. She is the one with brunette hair and-” Hoseok told but what he did not realise was the Princess already left in a fast pace, leaving light trace of familiar brown sparkles. Shaking his head with a smile, he knew where the Princess might fly to.