Seeking Tales

Navillera's Border

Upon finding a perfect landing spot, not far from the crowded afternoon marketplace, Jiyeon shifted back into her human form. Scanning the foreign surrounding, she smiled once a very welcoming smell coming from what assumingly be a bakery waken up her body, activating a new surge energy flowing within like a stream of water. She felt super, excited yet scared at the same time. As stated, it was her first time out of the Haesang palace, all alone. Taking her brother’s advice, she secured the hood on her head before taking a good look for the last time; she finally was able to make her way.

 

However, her steps did not go far as she made an abrupt stop in the middle of the lively marketplace. She had no idea where to go since she never been there. She never thought of leaving the palace ground and there she was actually out of the sweet confinement. Now that she was out, she contemplated reasons of why? Oh yes, that would be because she would have everything at the palace. Food, clothes, shelter as well as friends which was not many to begin with.

 

Jiyeon’s eyes glanced from one stand to another as she tried to figure out which one she should advance in order to get her to the so-called fortune teller’s place. Letting out a sigh, her shoulders slumped and started to question her brother’s statement regarding ‘they can be very friendly’. But they seemed so busy with their lives that they only walked passed her without any second glance. There were other people wearing robes with hoodie as well. That she knew why her brother could walk around the village area without getting caught.

 

As she was about to retreat back to her starting point and scraped the plan out of the list, she saw a familiar figure walking by with hands stacked with crates. A smile finally carved on her face that day and without hesitation, she approached the red-roofed fruit stand. Her heart jumped with joy as the figure she recognized from afar was actually someone she knew but just like the others he appeared to be busy too. That was until the young lad turned his attention from the already opened crate of apples to her face which was covered by shadows.

 

“I’m sorry miss but the stand is barely open for sale. You can always head over to the one at front for more freshly picked apples.” He simply stated without knowing the lady’s identity. Jiyeon lightly chuckled upon hearing the statement and she soon realised the fellow was indeed being serious.

 

“Jungkook, it’s me.” She said shortly as she tugged her hoodie back slightly, giving light to shine on her face a little before securing it back into place. Jungkook’s eyes widened at once and he asked what brought her to be out of the palace. “I need your help. That is if you’re not busy. I don’t want to disturb your time.”

 

“Well, it’s supposed to be my brother’s turn to tend the fruit stand today. Not there are many to sell since the spring just came and there were barely anything to harvest.” Jungkook good-naturedly replied with a shrug to top off his statements. “He’ll be here soon and then I’ll be happy to help. So don’t go too far from here that is if you wanted to roam around the marketplace for the time being.” He continued and smiled before getting back to do his work. Nodding understandingly, she walked off at ease.

 

For the meanwhile, Jiyeon decided to leisurely stroll around the busy area. It was twice as busy as the insides of the palace but for the strangest reason, she felt good seeing the smiles and random exchange of conversations coming from the people. Who knew Haesang’s marketplace would be that lively? Her mind seemed to have a thing with comparing the new surrounding with her old ones. It was rather expected since everything looked new to her.

 

Before leaving the palace, Hoseok managed to tell her about a thing or two about what awaited her beyond the high walls since he often swung by the place from time to time, buying fertilizers and such. Myungsoo was able to accompany her as well after lunch and thankfully her parents did not spare her any stern look regarding the morning’s event. They were keener about her upcoming birthday celebration which surprisingly, she did not look forward to at the time since she was excited to head out.

 

“So what does the Princess of Haesang seeking out of the palace today?” Jungkook playfully questioned with a cheeky smile formed by his lips. But the mentioned person simply nudged on his side and said, “Don’t say that out loud. People might found out.” Laughing upon hearing the sentence, the boy repeated his question and once she replied, he was shocked.

 

“Why do you want to see the fortune teller? Trying to dig up some sort of secret for your birthday or something? Because if that’s the reason then you should not be worry too much since it will be great.” He assured. “No, I’m not going because of that. I’m just…curious about something.” She confessed hesitantly. To be honest, she was not planning in telling anyone other than Myungsoo about it but just like Hoseok, there was a sense telling her she could trust Jungkook.

 

Nevertheless, she did not speak to him much regarding it and he seemed to understand and saw it as a privacy that he should not be prying on. He wished he could help but leading her to her destination was the least he could do. As they busied chatting, Jungkook stopped his pace and his eyes immediately landed on the end path of Haesang’s village centre. Jiyeon on the other hand was curious as why he stopped as she side-stepped to the left since she was standing behind him at one point.

 

In front of them was a heavily dense forest. There was no longer the lingering smell of baked goods and the sound of people chattering. It seemed that there were no sign of any form of life other than the trees and forest flowers that just began to bloom as the season was transitioning. Glancing at the male’s face, she could see reluctance written on it as the minute ticked by. Silence was greeting them for a couple of moments before Jungkook spoke.

 

“The fortune teller lives at the end of the path of the forest. She moved since apparently from what I heard she needed all the peace she could get. It’s strange, really. The Haesang people are getting weird these days. Are you sure you still want to go? It’s not late to back out of this.”

 

That statement was enough to raise doubt in Jiyeon’s brain once again. Was the thing she will do is the right thing to do to begin with? It was her brother’s suggestion anyway and here she was actually steps away from revealing her supposedly strange dreams. She could back out as what Jungkook said. Turning to look back and to her front, she knew the answer to the question. It would be a waste if she was to flee especially she had gone far from home for it.

 

“Let’s go. I need to head back to the palace before dusk too. It’ll be just for a while, right? It’s not harmful to try too.” Jiyeon positively stated and earned a nod from her companion. Her heartbeat increased as they went deeper into the woods but it was a good feeling. She felt like her doing would finally erase all the trouble she had been receiving. Not wanting to surround herself with more thoughts she started a conversation.

 

“Where does this lead to other than the fortune teller’s house anyway? There must be something else and a good reason why she moved there.” The younger male did not reply instantly as he was figuring out an actual answer to her question. He had been to and fro between Haesang and Seonghwa for the past few years, secretly. But his venturing never went far so that explained why he never bumped onto Taehyung although he was technically in Seonghwa.

 

“I don’t think there is much to see other than Mount Navillera, I think. I’ve been on two of the look-out points before which located on the sides of Haesang and Seonghwa. The third one is high up and I heard no one managed to be there yet. It is cloudy up there.” Jungkook told her as she listened with interest.

 

She believed his story though since he seemed the type to go on random adventure ever since they talked during her brother’s birthday years ago. The whole time she could only converse with him if she was to walk by the palace entrance and saw him with his cart loaded with fresh fruits and vegetables and it did not last long. She would see his female friend as well but not as often.

 

“Well, there it is the fortune teller’s place.” He said shortly as he gestured to their front where a cosy-looking cabin stood with trees surrounding it. There was a trail of smoke coming out of the chimney which she assumed the one she sought for was indeed inside the house, perhaps waiting for her to come. It was a mere feeling anyway but she could help herself from turning around to see Jungkook before asking him to accompany her all the way.

 

Jungkook followed, of course since he did walk her there and leaving her in the forest alone was dangerous. It was not simply because she is the Princess of Haesang but also as a friend who happened to be a girl he should and shall protect. Besides, he should stay since she would have no idea where to go to after meeting with the fortune teller.

 


 

On the other side of the island, the east field within the Seonghwa’s palace was packed with Princes clad in body armours and helmets. The weather was being kind to them as it was almost a perfect day to be outdoors doing their daily training. Thanks to the older Prince, the training was more fun than usual as it did great for distraction for the Crown Prince. The smile plastered on his face though was not the genuine one and of course being the closest one to him, Taehyung noticed it as he purposely swung by the training ground with hands full of ingredients to be taken to the kitchen.

 

Surprisingly enough, the fake smile did not go unnoticed by the green-haired Prince in between their sparring. Going back to normal standing stance, Yoongi asked, “What’s wrong with you today? You seemed more distracted lately. Why may I ask?” The eyes that were once connected tore away almost instantly once he heard the question.

 

“My mother wanted me to follow them to Haesang for the Princess’ eighteenth birthday. Apparently I was on the list, oh the surprise.” Jimin said while having his hands up to his sides before waving it, exaggerating the last few words just so the older one would understand. Sighing, both of the Princes heard their trainer telling them to take a break which led them to plot themselves on the grass without any second thought.

 

“And I don’t see a problem to that, Jimin. You’ve been hiding from them far too long now if I say so myself. It is only logic for them to finally be able to meet you.” Yoongi explained his theory to the younger one but he did not seem to take it well. “Well, it’s easier for you to say. You can fly there no problem.”

 

“Ah, so that is what’s been troubling you? Just tell your parents to ride the horse carriage with you then. It will only take for two or three hours there anyway and you can be one with nature while you’re outside these walls.” He added on as he gestured on a nearby wall standing tall, surrounding the field’s edges. “But flying requires less time…”

 

“Oh shut it. It’s not your fault you can’t fly. Trust me, the news already spread on the other quarters but not that they care. Being able to master fire is more important since it’s what makes us a Seonghwa, you know that?” Kindly patting Jimin on the shoulder, Yoongi stood from his seating spot before continuing, “Besides, the Haesang’s Princesses are very pretty. I don’t mind entering their palace ground in a horse carriage. I’ll look so handsome but unfortunately I’m not a single man.”

 

“Maybe that’s why your mother had you betrothed when you were young.” Jimin chuckled at his own sentence, earning a glare from him. “Whatever floats your boat, Park Jimin. But think of it, yes? Who knows, you might find your future wife or something.” He ended the conversation with a shrug before leaving the Crown Prince to meet with the other Princes that scattered around the area.

 

“Not going to happen, Min Yoongi!” Jimin managed to yell but Yoongi only waved with his back facing him. So much for helping him, he thought. Nevertheless, he actually considered of going to Princess’ birthday. That was the least he could do since he missed a number of celebration coming from the Haesang’s palace.