Once Again

Hey It's Me

 

Kim studied her reflection in the mirror for the longest time. There she was the perfect anti-thesis to the bubbly Kim that everyone loves. Because of her always ready smile and mastered optimism, people had always assumed that she was happy.

Kim smiled foolishly at herself. She had everything money can buy, she had been able to help her family like she always wanted to and her career was at its peak. She couldn’t be any more grateful with all the things that God had blessed her.

Still, her happiness was not complete. She sighed the next minute. She was getting good at this, playing the part of the great pretender, fooling the whole world but not her heart.

A sudden knock on the door startled her from her thoughts.

“Come in.” She said.

“Happy Birthday!”

Kim looked up and was very delighted to see her cousin Maddie. They greeted each other with a hug.

“Maddie, I’m so glad to see you. What a pleasant surprise.” She exclaimed.

“I wouldn’t miss your birthday for the world so I took the earliest flight possible.” Maddie answered, smiling. “I want to be here for your album launch as well.”

“Hmmm…are you sure na ako ang pinunta mo rito?” Kim winked. “Baka naman gusto mo lang talaga makita si Kuya Piolo.”

Maddie blushed and looked around. Kim had always known that Maddie had a crush on Piolo Pascual.

“Shhhhh! Baka may makarinig sayo.” Maddie laughed then. “Anyway, that’s really the reason why I came. Secondary na lang yung sa birthday mo.”

“Hay naku, Mads!” Kim shook her head and laughed along with her cousin. “I wouldn’t know what I’d do without you.”

Suddenly, her laughter was gone and she turned silent.

“O, bakit malungkot ka na?”

“Hindi naman ah.”

Maddie placed an understanding arm on Kim as she looked at their reflection in the mirror. Kim was seated and she was right behind her.

“Kimmy, it’s your birthday. Dapat maging happy ka ngayon.”

“Happy naman ako di’ba?” Kim tried to defend herself.

“Who are you trying to convince? Ako ba o yung sarili mo?” Maddie took a deep breath. “Kim, you have not celebrated your birthday in four years. Alam ko rin kung bakit…”

Kim sighed. “I just didn’t feel like it.”

“That’s why I’m glad you agreed to have your birthday celebrated here.” Maddie offered a smile. “It’s about time for you to be happy. You deserve it.”

Kim smiled back. Maddie was right. She had not celebrated her birthday for four years now. To her it was just another ordinary day. Her mother network and her family had always wanted to hold parties for her but she always refused to. This year was different because she had finally agreed to have her birthday in time for her album launch.

Even if she was smiling, she couldn’t help the tears from rolling down her cheeks. Why couldn’t her happiness be complete?

“O, wag kang umiyak. Birthday mo pa naman…” Maddie tried to console her.

“Ikaw kasi eh, nag da drama ka diyan.”

“Pwede na ba akong mag artista?” Maddie laughed.

“Bakit hindi?”

“Basta Kimmy, promise me you’ll be happy at kung umiyak ka man, it will be joyful tears this time, okay?”

Joyful tears.

Wasn’t that too long ago when Gerald told her that she would only cry happy tears? Even with all the pains and heartaches that she had been through, despite the hurt of an unrequited love, she was still grateful that she had met him. She was glad she didn’t know exactly how things would go, the way things had gone. Had she only known, she wouldn’t have fallen in love with him and she would have spared herself from pain but then, would she be able to say that she had truly lived?

“Excuse me!” Ate Imee peeped in. “Ten more minutes, Kimmy!”

“Okay ate, ready na po ako.” Kim answered as she let out a deep breath and bit her lower lip.

“Are you okay?” asked her handler. “You seem nervous…”

In fact, she really was and Kim couldn’t understand why. She should be used to all these things. It had been what she was doing for many years but now, she couldn’t understand why she felt like she was all new to this kind of stuff.

“Actually, Ate…” Kim closed her eyes. “I am.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know…” Kim answered. “Marami po bang tao?”

“Of course! Your fans are all here. Everyone is excited.” Imee got in and gently squeezed her fingers. “I think you’re just excited for your new album.” She smiled.

Kim nodded. Maybe she was just excited.

A few minutes later, Kim was on stage sitting on a long chair as close friends from the business serenaded her with their own rendition of her hits through the years. Each one of them gave her a long stemmed pink rose. In spite of what she felt earlier, she was indeed grateful to everyone who had been there for her.

Today was the launching of her latest album which was a compilation of the songs that she had recorded in the past and some new songs as well.

Kim smiled genuinely at everyone and was even teary-eyed.

“Happy Birthday, Kim!” Piolo Pascual greeted her after that number. He was also the last one who sang. Matt Evans came out with a cart of birthday cake.

“Happy Birthday, Kim!” He likewise greeted. “Make a wish!”

Kim closed her eyes and just as she was asked, she made a wish. It was a wish that had remained the same after all these years. She opened her eyes and smiled before she blew the candles.

“What would you like to say to everyone?” Piolo asked her afterwards.

“Hindi ko po alam kung saan magsisimula.” Kim said. “Ang dami ko po kasi talagang gustong pasalamatan. Unang-una po kay God para sa lahat ng blessings na patuloy niyang binibigay sa akin, sa ABS-CBN for taking good care of me, sa papa ko sa mga kapatid ko at buong family ko na nasa Cebu, pati na rin po sa mga kapamilya ko dito sa ASAP, Mr. M, Ate Imee sa lahat po ng pag-intindi nyo sa akin for the past 7 years. Maraming, maraming salamat po talaga.” Kim turned to fix her gaze on Miss P who was seating beside Maddie and Imee. “Ate P salamat po talaga, sa cousin ko for being here. Of course, I would like to say thank you to all my fans and sponsors who have stayed with me all these years. Maraming salamat po sa inyo dahil kung hindi po dahil sa inyong lahat, wala din po ako dito ngayon.”

“Ang dami nun a. Hiningal ka ba dun Kim?” Piolo kidded. “Anyway, I will let you catch your breath.” Piolo then smiled and turned to the crowd. “Mga kapamilya, hindi pa po tapos ang birthday celebration ni Kim dito sa ASAP. More of Kim’s birthday celebration and grand album launch when ASAP returns!”

During the commercial break, Kim changed into a different dress. Her mood improved because of the outpouring of love and support she had felt earlier although there still is a hint of nervousness in her system. She was grateful that she did have a few moments to herself alone, allowing her to offer a short prayer of thanks to the Almighty.

“Kimmy, you need to be on stage now.” Her handler approached.

“Ate Imee, sunod na po ako.”

“Oh, you’re crying again! Buti na lang waterproof yang mascara na ginamit mo.” Imee grinned in her attempt to lighten up things.

“Ate Imee talaga…” Kim shook her head. Imee must have sensed that she felt something was missing.

“Don’t worry, kahit wala dito yung family mo, nandito naman kaming lahat. Uuwi din naman tayong Cebu as soon as we’re done with the press conference so wag ka na umiyak okay?”

“Thanks Ate.”

“You’re always welcome. Let’s go…”

“Mga kapamilya…singing her carrier single from her latest album “Once Again”, please welcome the birthday celebrant, Miss Kim Chiu!”

Kim could hear the voice over and the applause from the audience and from everyone in the studio. As the music began to play, pictures and video clips from way back played on the big monitor that was right behind her.

Kim took a deep breath, she felt like there were a thousand butterflies inside her stomach. She started to sing…

“Hey, it's me
I hope you still remember
Your old friend
And then, we can talk and laugh again…”

And just when she was about to go on with her singing, there came another voice from behind her. The voice was so familiar and she knew it by heart. That’s when she saw everyone clapping and screaming. She felt a different level of energy coming from the audience.

“Hey, it's me
I never thought I'd see you once again
And I just can't believe
You're right here with me now…”

Kim froze, not knowing what to do. She dared not look who it was. At the corner of her eye, she saw that the video presentation prepared by the ASAP production team showed clips of her PBB days. What bothered her though is that the video was of her and Gerald. If this is some kind of a late April Fool’s joke being pulled on her, Kim’s definitely not liking it. Her heartbeat doubled and there was now a ball of nervousness in the pit of her stomach. Her temperature was rising, ironically giving her cold sweats. She had tried closing her eyes thinking that everything was just a dream but when she opened them again, everything was still the same and the singing just went on….

“Lookin'
Starin' and talkin'
Tellin' me things
That you've done all these years…”

She was about ready to cry the moment she saw the only person that she had longed to see all these years was now standing closely beside her, handing her a bouquet of pink roses. Her breath caught in as she dared to think it was actually him and not her imagination going overdrive. Her mind quickly squashed the idea. Surely it was just her mind playing tricks on her…

Kim closed her eyes for a second and gave her head a slight shake. As she opened her eyes, his face was mere inches away from hers. All Kim could think at the moment was that five years had done nothing except made Gerald more handsome than the last time she saw him. He’s now sporting a preppie look ala Julian of My Girl that was accentuated by his blue-rimmed clear glasses.

When Kim had come to terms that the vision before her was real, a sudden rush of panic dawned on her. She had to compose herself quickly; they were on live TV for goodness sake! After all, everyone assumed that she and Gerald parted on a good note. And so, Kim quickly redeemed herself and sang along with Gerald, all the while, she did her best not to look directly at him but Gerald was so near, in fact, they were then just a breath away…

“Hey, it's me 
The one who's always cared for you
Oh yes, it's me
The one who's always loved you
I just hope you still remember
And I wish it crossed your mind
All the memories that we have left behind…”

God, Gerald thought as he sang. He still missed her even if Kim was now right beside him. For a minute, he seriously contemplated on hugging her or at least draping an arm over her shoulders like old times, if only to let her know how much he had missed her. True to the words of the song, He had always been in love with her. He had loved Kim ever since and he will always be the one that Kim could count on.

On the other hand, Kim felt a stinging in her eyes and she had tried so hard to keep them from falling. The whole world froze with her and stopped spinning the very moment their eyes met. Memories rolled by just like what was shown in the monitor. She stopped singing while Gerald continued…

“Hey, it's me 
Now, that you're back in my arms, 
You'll see I'll always keep you here in my heart…”

Gerald was not able to help it. His hands, as if with a mind of its own, slowly and gently held Kim by the waist as he sang.

Kim inwardly sighed at Gerald’s unexpected advances. But she dared not pull away from him because she was well aware that the cameras were rolling and, well, she kind of liked the feel of Gerald’s warm hand around her waist. Breaking eye contact with him, Kim proceeded to sing the last stanza of their song.

“Hey, it's me 
I'd never thought I'd feel this love again 
And I just can't believe you're right here with me now…
Lookin' Lovin' and feelin' 
Sharin' this love for the rest of our lives…”

As Kim was singing her part, Gerald tilted his head slightly, trying to catch her gaze. And just like the old days, they were caught in a world of their own… oblivious to the uncharacteristic silence of the people in the studio. ASAP hosts all went out of their respective dressing rooms just to witness the scene. The production staff watched in awe at the film-like drama unfolding before their very eyes. Even the fans and studio audience, who were screaming some moments ago, were silenced by the moment.

Kim still couldn’t believe her eyes. It had always felt the same all these years but she had never thought it would feel this good again…

Gerald thought about all the times he had wasted. Times when he could have told Kim how much he loved her. There really was no use denying it now and he just couldn’t explain the happiness he felt to be with her that very moment. Now that she’s back in his life, he promised to keep her in his heart, hoping that nothing is ever too late for he never wanted to spend the rest of his life without her…

“Hey, it's me 
The one who'll always care for you
Oh yes, it's me
The one who'll always love you
I just hope you still remember
And I wish it crossed your mind
All the memories that we have left behind…”

Kim closed her eyes when the song ended. Her heart was secretly leaping with joy, her whole body was trembling. Breathing even came as an effort to her and she didn’t know what to do especially when their gazes met again. She was swooning. The familiarity of seeing Gerald again was too much to handle right that moment. Her emotions were all mixed up. It was not enough to say that it had sent shivers down her spine. She wasn’t expecting to see him at all, much less on the day of her birthday. As a matter of fact, he was looking and staring at her that Kim didn’t know what to make of it. She had to look away. She couldn’t breathe.

It was probably the longest song she had sung all her life. Kim didn’t want to admit but singing with Gerald made each line of the song even more meaningful.

The audience applauded but the drumming inside her chest was even louder. It was overwhelming to see everyone beaming with joy and excitement.

“Mga kapamilya! That was definitely the moment we’ve all been waiting for!” Toni Gonzaga said as she joined them on center stage. “After five long years, Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson live on ASAP!”

“Happy Birthday, Kim!” Luis Manzano also joined them. “Nagulat ka ba? Parang iba ata ang smile mo ngayon?” He teased.

Kim smiled but kept mum about her reaction towards her surprise guest.

“Asus parang kakaiba ang sparkle ng mga eyes mo ngayon Kimmy.” Luis looked at her and then turned to Gerald. “Right Gerald? Anyways pare, bakit ka nagbalik?”

“Luis, anong klaseng tanong ba naman yan!” Toni laughed.

“Masama ba naman ang magtanong? Bigla na lang kayang nawala ng parang bula ang pare kong ito… I deserve a really good explanation.” Luis then looked at Kim. “Kim, may alam ka ba kung bakit bumalik si Gerald?”

Kim didn’t know what to say but she was quick to redeem herself. “Aba malay ko sa kanya…” She then braved herself to set her gaze upon him “Ba’t ka nga ba bumalik?” She asked nonchalantly.

Gerald gave her the sweetest smile. “Alam mo naman kung bakit eh…” Not taking his eyes off her.

Kim couldn’t move and thought, “Naku, ano naman kaya ang pinagsasabi ng mokong na to!”

“Gerald, kanina ko pa napapansin na ang lagkit-lagkit ng tingin mo sa dalaga naming dito.” She paused and then turned to the audience. “Tama po ba ako?”

The audience all agreed in unison. “Oo!”

It made Gerald blush. The moment he laid his eyes on Kim, he just couldn’t take it off her. His heart swelled with overwhelming emotions. It felt so good to have her just an arms-length away.

“Siyempre na miss ko si Kim.” Gerald held her gaze and then turned to the audience. “Na miss ko din kayong lahat.”

Kim’s heart thumped ever harder. Gerald missed her? Baka ginu-good time na naman ako ng Bisoy na ito a, Kim thought to herself. She wondered if he could tell how much she had missed him too.

“Ayyyy. Luis, ngayon lang ulit ako nakaramdam ng ganitong kilig and obviously, pati si Kim ay kinikilig din… uyyy!” Toni teased.

“Hindi kaya.” Kim defended herself but it had raised her temperature to hear Gerald say those words.

“Na miss ka daw ni Gerald, ano naman ang masasabi mo dun?”

“Wala!” Kim deadpanned. “Salamat sa kanya.” She tried to laugh.

Gerald closed his eyes, almost wanting to cry on Kim’s lack of emotion. But he could not blame her. He’d been away for so long but if only she knew…

“Ay ganun?” Was all Toni could say. “Anyway Gerald, bakit ka nga ba nagbalik ng bigla?”

Gerald sighed, still trying to maintain eye contact with Kim. He wanted to see her reaction at what he was about to say.

“I have to settle something personal.” Gerald answered truthfully. “Naiwan ko kasi ang puso ko dito…”

The crown went crazy with cheers and giggles but Kim remained oblivious to what was happening around her. The loud beating of her heart was all she could hear. She had to look away. She needed to say something…

“Sana tumawag ka na lang para hindi ka na nag abala. Pinadala na lang sana naming sayo ang puso mo…” She said on a light note. She wondered if anyone could tell that her voice was shaking.

“Hindi rin pwede.” Gerald answered. “I don’t have any intentions of taking my heart back pero sige ka, pag binalik mo yun, sa akin na talaga yun…” He could not believe the words that came out of his mouth. It only made his feelings more tangible. His heart pounded with excitement and he secretly hope that he was not yet too late.

At that point, Kim dared not answer.

What in the world was Gerald implying? Is this some sort of gimmick for his “surprise comeback” in the showbiz industry?

“Hmmmm….” Luis commented teasingly. “I’m sure na marami pa po tayong aabangan from Kim and Gerald sa mga darating na araw but for now, Kim, since it’s your birthday, ano naman ang birthday wish mo?”

Kim smiled. She was glad that Luis had changed the topic.

“More blessings saka good health para sa akin at sa family ko.” Kim answered. “It’s the same thing every year.”

“And you, Gerald?” Toni turned to ask him. “What’s your birthday wish for Kim?”

Gerald paused and once again, looked into Kim’s eyes, hoping to see something that would give him hope that he was not yet too late.

“I want to save that wish for her alone.” He softly answered. “Sa kanya ko na lang po sasabihin…”

Kim tried to look away but she could not move. None of them seemed to take their gazes away from each other. The crowd went crazy with cheers even the other ASAP mainstays like Anne and Maja went ballistic as they watched from the sidelines.

“Hay naku, Luis. Kailangan pa ba nating i-memorize to? Kimerald is obviously back into the world of their own at my goodness, para akong teenager na kinikilig! Ano ba naman ito?!”

It was the audience voices that said “kiss” that snapped Kim back to where she was. She knew this was coming but the question was, was she ready for this?”

“Ano po yun?” Luis asked everyone.

“Kiss!”

It was then that Gerald’s brain functioned.

“Paano ba to Kim, kiss daw!” He tried to but his own nervousness was almost too hard to handle.

Kim didn’t say a word. As far as she was concerned, she was in the state of indecision, she couldn’t make up her mind. Should she give in to the wishes of her heart and do what the crowd was asking or should she say no for the sake of self-preservation?

But before she could make up her mind and say a word, she felt Gerald’s lips on her cheek. It was soft and gently but was enough to cause her heart to flatline.

God help her. She’s dead.