Catharsis

Hey It's Me

As the bonfire crackled loudly, sending sparks into the darkness of the night, Kim took a deep breath and filled her lungs with fresh sea air.

She watched her cousin, Maddie toss another log on the fire and she absentmindedly did the same thing.

As she settled back in the cool sand, she felt herself growing restless.

“Kim.” Maddie said as she put her arms around her. “Are you okay?”

There was no word from Kim. “Stupid question.” Maddie corrected herself. “I’m sorry.”

When Kim turned to look at her cousin, she was already misty-eyed. If there’s one person in the world that knows how she felt for Gerald, it’s Maddie. Kim would have kept how she really feels for Gerald deep in her heart but there came a point that it was too much to contain thus she turned to her closest cousin.

Once again focusing her vision on the dancing fire in front of her, Kim returned to her musings.

Gerald had been her best friend for more than a couple of years but she knew that she’d never be able to let him know about the feelings she was harboring for him. She was afraid of putting their friendship on the line and so, she pretended that everything was just fine as it should be even though deep inside she was dying.

 

“No, I’m sorry.” Kim replied digging her toes into the cool sand. “I shouldn’t have bothered you but…”

 

“Who ever told you that?” Maddie interrupted. “Hindi ka nakakaabala, okay? Stop worrying about that. Besides, I also need a break from work and more than anything else, I’m glad to be here for you, especially at this point. What are cousins for?”

“Thank you, Mads.” Kim tried her best to smile.

“Anything for you my pretty cousin.” Maddie said jokingly but with a hint of concern in her voice.

 
“I know it’s not easy but I really hope you’ll be okay. You need time to think things through. Do you want me to leave you alone?” Maddie asked sympathetically. 
 
Normally, Kim would have been bubbly and fun to be with but right now, Maddie could tell otherwise.

“Yeah.” Kim nodded. “I think I need that.” Maybe this could be the best time for her to have some time alone and digress herself of all her ‘excess baggage’.

“I’ll just be inside, okay?” Maddie told her. “If you need anything, just holler and I’d be here in a jiffy.”

“Naku Mads, alam ko pagod ka pa rin sa byahe. You’ve done a lot for me already. Magpahinga ka na lang.” Kim commented, grateful that there is at least one person who’s looking after her welfare.

“Baka naman gusto mong ipakulam na lang natin si Bisoy? Baka may kakilala yung kakilala ng kakilala ko.” Maddie winked as she stood up and brushed the sand off her shorts.

Kim laughed at her cousin’s attempt to make light of the situation.

 

 

“Sino? Wag naman ipakulam. Kawawa naman si…” Somehow, she could not get herself to say his name out loud.

“O siya, sige!” Maddie raised her hand in mid-air. “Basta if you need anything, call me. Okay? Wala naman sa lahi natin ang may suicidal tendencies so makakatulog naman ako ng mahimbing.” Maddie quipped while enveloping Kim in a bear hug.

“Okay cuz. Salamat talaga…” Kim said, feeling a bit consoled by her cousin’s warm display of affection.

 

 

When Maddie left, Kim didn’t know where or how to start with her cathartic episode. Her head was spinning and was full of questions that it felt like exploding. Her heart was full of love and pain that it felt like bursting.

She looked around and smiled timidly. She was glad that she had this place to go to when she needed to be away from the chaos of the world and just needed to think things through, case in point - NOW.

Her grandfather’s private resort, located in an island in Northern Cebu had always been her silent sanctuary. The sound of the gently rolling waves as it kissed the shore and the crisp sea breeze had never failed to comfort her weary soul.

She took another deep breath as the night grew colder and the breeze was now carrying with it the smell of salt and sea grasses. Kim couldn’t help thinking back to that day when she and Gerald had first met…

 

It was their first day inside the PBB house. She and Mikee were the first persons to enter the house. Nina and Gerald came in second.

She thought he was one of those conceited ‘amboys’. Although Kim can’t deny the fact that he was blessed with good looks, he was not her type.

As the teen reality show progressed they just found themselves doing chores together, laughing at each other’s crazy antics, talking non-stop about their lives outside the house. Come to think of it, they have probably spent 50% of their stay inside the Big Brother house just interacting with each other. With that level of proximity Kim’s first impression that Gerald was a self-centered, vain, half-blood teenager was promptly disproved.

Five weeks into the show, Gerald and she were flown to Hundred Islands. It was their last week as teen housemates and Big Brother took the liberty to ship them out of his house and bring them to his ‘house by the sea’. They were bombarded by a series of tasks and sometimes too long lazy afternoons but their easy rapport and genuine care for each other have helped them survive all the tests that Big Brother had thrown their way.

The only bleak moment that Kim remembered was the time when Gerald was punished by Big Brother because he cheated in their ‘basura’ task. He was sentenced to ‘go home’ ahead of her, Mikee and Claire.


It was during his absence that Kim realized that he’d managed to break down her defenses and slowly wormed his way to her heart.

 

 

A few days later, Kim was declared the Big Teen Winner while Gerald bagged the 3rd spot. From then on, Gerald and she had been inseparable. They’ve done numerous product endorsements together, had two movies to their names, countless TV shows that had always rated high, went on shows here and abroad, thus, they eventually became not just a love team, but the best of friends as well.

“What was your first impression on Gerald?” She remembered being asked in one of her early interviews.

“Maangas po tsaka vain. Lagi po kasi n’yang tinitingnan yung sarili n’ya sa salamin…” Was her answer. “But I was wrong, once you get to know him, sobrang bait po na tao ni Gerald.” He had been a true gentleman, a down-to-earth and sincere person who reaches out to others. He loved his family and was dedicated to his work. He was God-fearing.

 More than anything else, Gerald had always been a good friend to her; he had always been there for her.

 

 

Gerald’s good nature and sense of humor had endeared him even more to Kim. He may be an eye candy for thousands of teenagers in the country but for Kim, his look was just a plus factor. What’s more important was that she found her long-time longed for best friend in him AND her real-life prince charming.

Unfortunately for Kim, Gerald didn’t see her as his damsel in distress nor a princess to be swept off her feet.

Kim felt tighten and much as she tried to choke back the tears, her heart felt heavy, her vision blurred. She was now facing what could be the greatest of all tragedies, the pain of unrequited love.

 

 

“Do you love her?” Gerald was once asked that question. Kim smiled at the recollection. She was at Gerald’s side when he was asked that question by Boy Abunda in the Buzz. They were just getting to know each other then and she agreed with what Gerald remarked.

“It’s too early to tell.” Gerald answered. “Pero everyday, we are getting close and everyday that I see her, hindi po nakakasawa ang beautiful face niya.”

At that time, Kim tried to keep her cool but when he turned to her she blushed profusely.

Yes, Gerald was right; it was then too early to tell but her crazy heart actually hoped that someday, somewhere, somehow, Gerald would declare his undying love for her.

 

Kim closed her eyes as tears started to fall. She didn’t intend to fall in love with her best friend. She had never wanted to risk the friendship nor the love team, but can anyone stop the sun from rising?

If only Gerald felt the same way. If only he sees her the way she sees him. If only he loved her as much as she loved him, she wouldn’t have been crying now but the way things are going, it was like waiting for paint to dry. She was only delaying the inevitable.

Mustering as much courage as she could, Kim sat up straight and breathed in deeply.

Hard as it was, Kim arrived at a decision which would probably shake not only both of them to the core but also the people around them.

She knew it would be painful. It wouldn’t be easy. But it was the only way for her to cleanse her soul.