Dinner

Dangerous Boy

 

In the end, you let Hoya into your house and started to get busy in the kitchen. “Just make yourself home, Hoya.” You shouted as you set the ingredients on the table. “Dinner will be ready in a while.”

“Orh.” You heard his reply coming from the living room.

 

*How long have it been?* You wondered to yourself while washing the vegetables mindlessly. *Ever since Jihoo died, I have not cooked for anyone else… If Jihoo was still alive... he would be so happy that I'm cooking his favorite Kimchi Jiggae for him...* As you continued reminiscing the past, you felt a stinging feeling in your eyes. You missed your only brother. Very much.

 

“Hey, can I get a can of drink?” Hoya’s voice suddenly spoke from behind. You had no idea when did he stepped into the kitchen.

 

You jumped a bit, startled. “O-Oh. S-Sure.” You avoided him when he opened the fridge and you quickly wiped the tears off your face.

 

From the corner of your eyes, you caught Hoya staring at you. *He saw it.* You felt your cheeks burn in embarrassment. 

 

“Ah… These onions are stinging my eyes.” You pretended to rub your eyes while continuing to wash the onions.

 

Hoya did not say anything. Although he did not know the reason behind your tears, but he was sure it was not about the onion. He put the can of coke aside and went towards you.

 

Slowly, his arms came around you from the back. You stiffened. His breath was sweeping across the side of your neck and you could feel his chest sticking against your back.

 

“H-Hoya! What do you think you’re doing?!” You snapped and pushed him away, feigning an angry expression. Despite the momentary comfort you felt in his hug, it was wrong. “Even though I allow you to enter my house and cook a dinner for you, it doesn’t mean that I’ll allow you to do anything across the line.”

 

“Tell me why were you crying.” Hoya ignored your anger. He was determined to find out what made you cry.

 

You turned back and forced yourself to focus on the chores. “Nothing important.” You lied.

 

“It is important.” He insisted softly. “I don’t want you to cry for anyone other than me. No other guys can make you cry. Only me.”

 

“W-What are you saying?” You blushed, sensing the strong gaze from behind. His words made you tingle inside. It was getting harder to not be affected by his words. He seemed to know how to speak words that melts a girl’s heart.

 

“I see you must be too bored.” You forced a laugh and shoved the utensils to him. “Go set the table.”

 

 

Once again, Hoya noticed that you were avoiding him. There were moments when he felt that he would have a chance. You did not appear to be that resistant.

 

The blush on your face and the nervous look you had, was evident. Moreover, if you hated him, you would have chased him away or even slapped him. But you didn’t. Instead, you gave in time and time again, not losing any huge temper for all the things he did to you.

 

But even so, you rejected him immediately after then and escape back into your turtle shell. It was frustrating.

 

~~~~, I really don’t understand why must you distance yourself from me. You said you wanted to help me, but aren’t you the one who’s avoiding me now?” He stated.

 

You froze, unable to refute him. He was right. Ever since his confession, you were no longer keeping the duties you promised as his counselor.

 

You lowered your head and pondered to his words. You did not even notice when he left the kitchen.

 

*Have I failed as a counselor?*

 

Hoya came out of the kitchen and explored the small living room. He finally noticed the pictures on the wall. It was mainly pictures of a girl and a boy.

 

He took a closer look and recognized you to be the girl in the picture. However, he had no idea who was the younger boy standing beside you. *Could it be her brother?* He thought.

 

Soon, dinner was ready. But after what Hoya said, you no longer had the appetite to enjoy it. You went into a daze while staring into your bowl.

 

Hoya looked up and saw your distraction. “~~~~.”

 

You did not hear him and continued to mindlessly play with your food. *Since when was it like this? Why do I behave like this when it comes to Hoya? Is it just him? Or I am just not suitable to be a counselor?*

 

Hoya furrowed his eyebrow. He was not happy that you were not paying him any attention. “~~~~!”

 

“Yeah?” You heard him this time and looked up.

 

“Do you have any siblings?”

 

“Huh?” You were surprised by his question. “W-Why…?”

 

“Who is that guy in the picture with you?” He pointed at the most recent picture you taken with Jihoo.

 

You gazed at the picture longingly. It was taken during a Busan trip a few months before he died. “He’s… my brother.”

 

“Brother? Why I have not heard anything about him before? He doesn’t stay with you?”

 

“No…” You shook your head. “He passed away a few years ago…”

 

There was a silent pause for a few minutes.

 

Hoya softened. “I-I’m sorry.”

 

“Why?” You forced a smile. “It’s not your fault anyway. Let’s eat.”

 

*She must be missing her brother a lot.* Hoya thought as he studied your pale face. *Maybe she wasn’t that tough and cheerful a girl as I thought.*

 

If it was the usual case, Hoya would feel turned off at girls who appeared to be weak and dependent. But strangely, he felt a prick in his heart when he knew about your pain. Rather than putting a strong front, he would prefer you to depend on him.

 

Suddenly, Hoya was startled by his own thoughts. *What was I thinking? Why would I want to protect her? Could it be… I’ve really love her? Could it be…? But since when did this 'like' turned to 'love'? * He was confused.

 

For the rest of the meal, Hoya and you were eating quietly. No one said a word, but held different thoughts in mind.