The Boy on the Bus

I'll Be Good

* "You don't talk much, do you?" Min looked at the person next to him.

The boy sitting next to Min glanced then smiled. "I do, just not to strangers."

Min scoffed. "Well, are you new to Hill Church High?" 

"No, I'm not a student there." the boy said beofre returning himself back toward the window. 

"Then why are you on our bus? Plus, aren't you a little to old to be going to school?" Min asked, grabbing the boys' attention.

"Ouch. First day of school and you're already cranky. I get it." the boy smiled again.

"Like everyone else on this bus." Min rolled his eyes.

"And I'm on your bus because I'm a substitute at your school."

"A substitute? That still doesn't solve the problem on how you're still riding the bus."

"Look, I'm not that old. I'm a college student in Wisconsin."

Min nodded slowly. "Interesting. Why are you substituting in Oklahoma?"

"I was sent here to deal with family issues." the boy said, smile fading.

"What does that have to do with you substituting at my school?" Min laughed, still confused.

"My mom is a teacher there and she wants me to help her with her classes." the boy explained.

Min nodded again. "What grade does she teach?"

"Twelfth grade." the boy smiled.

"I sure do hope I don't have you in my classes." Min assured.

"Aww, you're so nice." the boy sarcastically said.

The bus driver parked the bus and opened the doors for the high schoolers.

"Have a nice day!" the bus driver said in a pleasant tone.

Freedom.

"You too," the boy that sat next to Min smiled at the lady politely.

"Come on, you're holding all of us high schoolers up." Min said to the boy in front of him, pushing him forward.

As Min and the stranger got off the bus together, Min slid his phone into his back pocket.

He looked up and noticed the same boy standing in front of him.

Min sighed and threw his bookbag over his shoulder. "What are you still doing here?"

"Mind if I take you to class?" the boy held out his hand, guiding the way.

"I've been here before unlike you and I know my ways." Min began to walk towards the school doors.

"Me too. I was a student here. Just like you." the boy said, opening the door for Min.

Min and the strange boy walked in the school. It was crowded.

He glanced at the boy before walking further into the school.

"Nice substituting!" Min shouted out as he stopped in front of his locker.

The suspicious boy smiled before walking to the office for a substitute ID nametag.


Min walked into class, noticing a whole bunch of senior kids on top of desks or either making out with each other.

"idiots." Min mumbled underneath his breath as he took a seat next to the window.

He slumped in his seat and rubbed his eyes.

Min looked around the room, glancing at everyone. He rolled his eyes and ran his finges through his hair , not giving a care in the world anymore.

Someone swung his arms around Min slowly, getting close to his neck. 

"Min," says to the stranger.

"Jungkook," Min looks up and smiles, placing his hand on the boy's arm. "You're in the same class with me?"

"Why else would I be in this classroom?" Jungkook said, taking a seat.

Min shrugged. "I missed you over the summer, Jungkook."

"I did, too! You're like my only friend."

Min nodded as his smile faded.

He was alone.

The bell rang and everyone got into their seats before the teacher came in.

"Good morning, class." the man said, putting down his coffee cup and paperwork.

"Good morning, Mr. James." the class greeted in a miserable tone.

"Today is going to be all about you guys. We'll work in pairs of two then individually. Since you're in history class, we'll be doing a simular unit from your previous grade, eleven."

The glass groaned and started side conversations.

"Enough. I'm going to take role and please don't shout out inappropriate things unless you want detention."

Mr. James pulled out his clipboard and started to take role.

"Wanna pair up together?" Jungkook whispered to Min.

Min looked around the room and saw students raise their hand as Mr. James called out their name.

"Hey," Jungkook kicked Min's leg for his attention.

"What?" Min asked, glancing at Jungkook.

"Wanna pair up together?" Jungkook repeated.

"Sure. You're like the only person I know." Yoongi smiled.

"Oh, come-" 

"Min Yoongi? the teacher called out, looking around for a raised hand.

Min raised his hand silently and said, "present".

A few seconds later, Jungkook's name had been called.

"Jeon Jungkook?" Mr. James called out.

Jungkook raised his hand.

"Thank you, Jeon." the teacher said.

Everyone faced back to the front.

"Alright, so we're going to pull out a piece of paper and write down what you remember in history from last year with one partner. That's our first lesson, got it? I expect good behavior. You're in the highest grade level now."

The class groaned again and got out of their seats to pick their partners.

Min pulled out a piece of paper as Jungkook scooted closer to Min's desk. 

"So, what do you remember about history eleven?" Min asked.

"How are all of us suppose to know when we all had summer break and lost our minds that had the information we knew."

Min smiled and laughed. "You can't remember one thing?" 

Jungkook shook his head seriously. "Do you?"

"Uh, yeah. Maybe it's just you who lost that brain of yours over the summer." Min began to write facts.

Jungkook pulled out his phone. checking the time.

Min looked up from the paper and stopped writing. "What are you doing?"

"Checking the time," Jungkook scrolled through his apps before turning his iPhone off.

"We just got in here." Min said, pushing Jungkook softly.

"I know, but this class is starting to give me a headache. I hate history, it's like my enemy." Jungkook groaned, facepalming himself.

"Well, I already have some facts down, can you think of something so it doesn't feel like I done all the work?" Min asked.

"I can't, Yoongi. Like, maybe, the war?"

Min clapped his hands together and started writing. "Good job."

Jungkook smiled and rolled his eyes. "You're the dork."

Min shrugged. "And you're not?"

Jungkook pushed himself into Yoongi as he moved back to his seat.

"So are you doing anything after school? I'll be at the elderly home, but do you have plans when I'm done with my shift?"

Jungkook shook his head, frowning.

"Why?"

"I have to go to court."

"By yourself? What did you do?"

Min sounded so worried.

"I didn't do anything. It's just something that happened a while ago that involved me."

"A while ago? They couldn't invite you to court at that time when it just happened?"

Jungkook shook his head again. "No."

"Why?"

"The criminal remained innocent, so he got released from prison."

"He's back in prison now..?" Min asked.

"Yes, he is. They want me to go in there and tell the judge if he's innocent or guilty."

"What did he do?"

"It's a long story, but I can't hang out. At least not today." Jungkook shrugged.

"Can I come with you?"

"Only if you want to."

"I want to, most definitely."

"What about your mom?"

"I'll make up an excuse, don't worry about it."

Jungkook nodded.

"And your parents?" Yoongi questioned.

"They don't know. I told them I'm going out with you this afternoon."

Yoongi nodded once.

"I'll drop by your house after my shift, okay?"

"Good, and thank you."

Yoongi nodded and slumped in his chair again, nervous and scared.

 

A/N: For those of you who read The Summer Trip, that chapter is on it's way. I promise!