The Past

I Hate My New Teacher

From that day, Wooshin then had to deal with Sunyoul’s visits everyday to his house. No one has known it. Yet. But of course this annoyed Wooshin to the max. Sunyoul slowly turning into parents figure for Wooshin and it was ridiculous. He always brought food to Wooshin’s house and even cooked it for both of them. The teacher even bothered himself to check every Wooshin’s homework and schedule. He even “stalked” Wooshin 24/7 like he was a baby who really needed to be watched! But at least the blonde could eat normally just like when he was still with his parents. He could feel his body was getting stronger by getting a “real” protein and vitamin for sure.

That day, it was Wooshin’s first time to actually sit on the dining room and eat properly using the dining table with Sunyoul. He couldn’t believe himself. Nervously, Wooshin took glances over the delicious foods Sunyoul has cooked for both of them. “What are you doing? Stop looking at them and start eating. You will still be hungry by looking at them and not actually shoving them into your mouth,” Sunyoul laughed and scooped a spoonful of rice into his mouth. “Haha funny, Sunyoul. But I have to make sure these foods aren’t poisonous first.” Wooshin smiled sarcastically. Sunyoul rolled his eyes and continued eating. “Yeah, keep looking at me and then you’ll starve tonight because I swear to God, this is delicious,” Sunyoul said with his full mouth.

Wooshin looked at him disgustedly. “Ew, close your mouth and chew it properly.” Wooshin started to eat. His eyes widened as he chewed the food. It was delicious. Sunyoul didn’t lie to him! And then, Wooshin ate everything just like he hadn’t eaten anything for years. “Look? I didn’t lie to you! If I said it was delicious, then it is delicious!” Sunyoul exclaimed happily. “Yeahwhatever,” Wooshin mumbled. He stuffed literally everything in his mouth and tasted everything. Sunyoul couldn’t help himself but smiled to the other and he tidied up the table. “OhmyGodthisisdelicious,” Wooshin kept mumbling and it made Sunyoul giggled. “What are you laughing at?” Wooshin frowned.

“Nothing,” Sunyoul shrugged his shoulder and continued humming his favorite song. Wooshin felt like a kid in a candy shop. He was excited to eat everything until his stomach full. “This is amazing! I swear I can stay like this for a week without any food after I ate all of these!” Wooshin said happily. Sunyoul once again smiled and he kept his hands busy with the dishes as he listens to the other mumbling everything out. After he had finished washing the dishes, Sunyoul took his bag and said, “okay, then, Wooshin. I’m going to go home now, thanks for the dinner. Don’t forget to lock the door and sleep before midnight! Your body really needs it,” Sunyoul said. Wooshin stared at the figure exiting the house and took a deep breath. “Having him here has some advantages for me surprisingly.” Wooshin smirked and walked to his bedroom.

---

Sunyoul has been babysitting Wooshin for maybe almost a week. Surprisingly, it didn’t even bother Sunyoul. He liked to take care people and he was really care to the others, it was his characteristic though. And by taking care of Wooshin, at least he didn’t really brave to do something annoying at him again or like before. Finally, Sunyoul could breathe freely without any getting call from the headmaster about Wooshin’s bad behaviors. The teacher even thought his relationship with the problematic student was getting a little bit closer than before, which meant nice for him. Sometimes, Sunyoul even slept in Wooshin’s house when he had a test on the next day. Just like that day, when the young teacher was trying to sleep but failed miserably because he didn’t really use to the situation and the room. Of course they slept in a different room because Wooshin claimed that it was suffocating when he was in a small room with Sunyoul. It was 3 am when suddenly Sunyoul woke up and couldn’t make him sleep again. He walked slowly to explore the small house and it amazed him. Really. Even though Wooshin lived all by himself, but unexpectedly, the house was really clean. It seemed like Wooshin even tried to clean everything by himself. Little by little, Sunyoul was trying to understand his student. He went to the backyard and sat there, watching at the cloudy night sky.

“Couldn’t sleep?” Sunyoul jumped a little in shock after he heard the soft noise behind him, but quickly calmed himself down as he knew who the figure was. “I guess so,” Sunyoul answered hopelessly. “Mind if I sit with you?” Wooshin asked and Sunyoul smiled to him as a response and softly patted at the spot next to him. The blonde took the place and hugged his knees. “This is weird,” Wooshin whispered.

Sunyoul nodded in response, “and awkward.” Wooshin chuckled after Sunyoul said that. It was a fact that it was awkward for them to sit together at 3 am, looking at the no-starry-night-sky, and didn’t say anything. “Hey, Wooshin. Will you tell me about your past?” Sunyoul tried to break the ice. Wooshin hummed as a response, either meant it as a no or a yes. “Here we go again, nosy Sunyoul,” Wooshin mumbled and rolled his eyes sarcastically. Sunyoul frowned at the nickname from the student. “Okay then, I’ll tell you my past first!” Sunyoul tried to recover from the rejection he just got. “Okay then, just keep talking, but I won’t even bother to listen to your fairy tale.” Wooshin successfully made Sunyoul frowned once again and he laughed. “Just kidding, please start it,”

“It wasn’t really my choice to teach in your school.” Sunyoul started the story and Wooshin looked at him with widening eyes. The student couldn’t believe what he has just heard. He was sure that guy didn’t even know how to start a story properly. Who would even make a story with a tragic beginning? “I was accepted in an elementary school in my hometown as a music teacher after I graduated from college, and it was my number 1 dream to become a music teacher for kids. Especially kids in Wando, they’re really cheerful and it was really nice to be in the middle of them,” Sunyoul sighed, “but then, my sister forced me to go to your school to meet the headmaster and have a talk to him. I was so upset at that time when I had found out my sister had sent my application to the headmaster without asking for my permission first. Can you imagine how sad was I when I had to say no to my own dream? I felt that my sister didn’t even support me to be a teacher in that school,”

“So, are you still angry with your sister?” Wooshin asked unconsciously. “I couldn’t. She had a lot of problems and I don’t want to make more of it for her. I just want to make her happy by killing my own dream. Sometimes, you have to make sacrifice for other people just to make them smile,” Sunyoul said with a faint smile on his face. He looked really sad, Wooshin could notice it. “My sister was your old music teacher, Wooshin,” Sunyoul confessed. The blonde was really shocked to hear the confession and he couldn’t think anything at that moment. “Excuse me? But why did she—“

Sunyoul smiled weakly. “She couldn’t survive,”

Wooshin could feel his brain was getting ready to explode. “What do you mean she couldn’t survive?” Wooshin asked unpatiently. “She has been married for 3 years and when I was graduated from college, she was pregnant. Her baby was 5th month old in her, and the doctor said she couldn’t actually survive with the baby being inside her. Her body was too weak for it and when she gave birth, the father had to choose to save either the baby or the mother. It was difficult for all of us. She already knew about the bad news but I swear to God, no one could stop her for taking care of that child. She kept working and teaching in your school and she laughed it away when I told her to take a rest. It was getting worse and she decided to send my application to the school in order to make me as the music teacher to take her place. Just like it didn’t enough for her to handle all of these things, there was a malfunction in her body and it made her giving birth on her 7th month old pregnancy. It happened when all of the students had their holiday and my sister told me that she didn’t want any of her students knew about this. She didn’t want to let her students got traumatized or something and unfortunately, the doctor couldn’t save both of her child and herself. At that time, I told the headmaster and he accepted me for the job. Of course it was hard for me. So that’s the reason why I couldn’t keep angry at her. And I beg you, please do not let the other students know about this,” Sunyoul said as he wiped his tears secretly in the dark.

Wooshin let his jaw opened widely. He couldn’t believe himself for listening to the tragic story and his favorite teacher has passed away and he didn’t even know about it! “I-I know she’s your favorite teacher and everyone said that you were angry at me because I replaced her. I don’t need to be your favorite teacher just like her and I’m okay if you wanted to annoy me 24/7, I don’t care, really! But please, just don’t tell anyone about her anymore and don’t be upset to her just because she didn’t tell anyone from the school except the headmaster about this.” Sunyoul lowered his head. “I’m sorry,” Wooshin mumbled, “I’m sorry for being a problematic student for you,”

Sunyoul lifted his head again and he smiled widely as he saw the other. “It’s okay. I’m learning a lot of new things because of you,” he said as he ruffled the blonde hair.