Sorry

I Hate My New Teacher

When the moment you loved so much happened, the time suddenly went quicker than usual. It happened to Wooshin too. Spending time together with his best friends and classmates was a good thing for him, but being able to spend his time with Sunyoul was the best. Probably because he was crazy in love but don’t judge him because it means he’s still a human—and not a satan—who still be able to feel love.

Sunyoul was walking on the corridor, humming to his favorite song as he was bringing a stack of papers in his hand. He was going to stick all of the final exam’s score announcement and the graduation ceremony on the announcement board with Bitto. “I heard that you were going to move back to your hometown?” Bitto asked. “Well, yeah. The headmaster told me to do so,” Sunyoul mumbled. “He didn’t fire you right? I swear you’re a nice guy why would he fire you?” Bitto said and it only made Sunyoul shrugged. “I don’t really want to talk about it. I don’t want to make the students upset,” the music teacher said softly. He read the graduation ceremony announcement and the ceremony was only 2 days away. He had finished packing all of his things and Gyujin helped him everyday. It was nice to have Gyujin helping him when he was teaching at school. “Okay then, I’ll go back to our room, good luck with your papers.” Bitto waved his hand and happily hopped.

---

“How was your score?” Sunyoul asked. “It was really nice,” Wooshin said. “You’re not saying it sarcastically right?” Sunyoul joked. “Of course not, stop thinking that I spent my whole life doing everything sarcastically,” Wooshin said and rolled his eyes. They were in the music room and Sunyoul was trying to play piano again. He learned it since he was 7 years old but then he left the instrument for 4 years. “Lost your power?” Wooshin threw a lame joke toward Sunyoul. “Shut up, I haven’t played it for years. Maybe I should try to perform in the graduation ceremony,” the teacher said. Wooshin, who sat next to Sunyoul, kept staring at the teacher who was playing the piano. The slim fingers danced on the white and black notes and Sunyoul was clearly enjoying the song as well. It amazed Wooshin how good the teacher played the instrument even though he confessed he didn’t touch a piano for years.

“How is your relationship with Sungjoon?” Sunyoul kept playing the piano. “We haven’t talked after the incident,” Wooshin simply answered. He cursed inside his mind because why would Sunyoul ask that kind of thing while he was playing a beautiful song. The teacher needed to learn how not to ruin a beautiful moment with an annoying question. “I hope next year you wouldn’t fall into such problems again,” Sunyoul stated, “I’m afraid your future homeroom teacher wouldn’t be as patience as me,” Listening to the teacher’s statement made Wooshin cringed. His teacher literally just self-praised himself! “I just hope they didn’t put me and Sungjoon in one class or it would be a disaster for all of us,” Wooshin sighed. Sunyoul finished his song and chuckled. “It would be a disaster if they put you together with Hwanhee and Jinhoo,” Sunyoul said and Wooshin nodded quickly. “I can’t imagine how noisy it would be,” Wooshin mumbled.

Sunyoul took a deep breath and let it out. He smiled, but he wasn’t brave enough to look at the student next to him. “Thank you for giving me a wonderful experience teaching for high school students,” Sunyoul mumbled.

---

A lot of students had arrived at 7 am at school even though the ceremony started at 8 am. Unfortunately, they were forbidden to enter the class before 8 am. Sunyoul took the chance to go to the class and wrote some simple sentences for his students and decorated it beautifully. Other teachers had made a small farewell party for him before he resigned from the job. He sat on his desk and looked at his watch. It was 8 am and he could hear the students’ rushing footsteps on the corridor. Usually, if teachers found out they were running on the corridor, the teachers would stop them, but that time was quite ‘special’. No teachers were found on the corridor. Sunyoul’s heart was thumping so hard, he was nervous he couldn’t deny it. Suddenly the door was forcedly opened and it made Sunyoul flinched a bit.

“Sunyoul! Good morning,” The overlapping greetings rang on Sunyoul’s ears and it made Sunyoul smiled even wider. He scanned every student and found the figure he was looking for. “Hey, Sunyoul. You dressed nicely today.” Wooshin smiled and went to his seat. “Thank you,” Sunyoul said.

“Before we start the ceremony together, we get an hour to talk together in class. Firstly, I want to thank you to all of you for giving me a new experience. It was my first time teaching high school students and at first I felt overwhelmed. But then, all of you accepted me and you showered me with a lot of affections. I’m grateful, really,” Sunyoul said clearly. His voice was trembling but he tried his best not to show his emotions. “I hope all of you will grow together and graduate together.” Sunyoul looked at his students one by one and he could notice some student’s were glassy. “Come on, we haven’t started the ceremony. Save your tears for later,” he laughed.

---

The students gathered in the hall and they followed the ceremony really well. But apparently, some students noticed something. They were being restless and sometimes whispering to each other. There was an unfamiliar young woman and she was sitting next to Sunyoul. Unfortunately, Wooshin noticed it too and he was jealous because the woman looked really comfortable to sit beside Sunyoul. “That girl is really hot,” Jinhoo whispered to Wooshin, “but I don’t think you’ll agree with me because you only staring at Sunyoul,” Wooshin glared at the shorter and could hear giggling sound from him. She was pretty and elegant but the way she sat was too sensual for Wooshin. He would rather choose the cute and full of aegyo girl than the y and elegant—maybe that’s why he liked Sunyoul even though he wasn’t a girl—. And Sunyoul rarely did any aegyo so Wooshin was kind of questioning his type.

“I’m the new music teacher for next year. You’re Sunyoul, right?” the woman said. Sunyoul nodded nervously and he carefully examined the lady’s appearance. Short black hair, curvy body, captivating eyes, amazing voice even though all she did was talking, and maybe a bit older than Sunyoul. “Nice to meet you, my name is Hwasa,” Hwasa said, smiling to Sunyoul and making the younger teacher felt awkward. “Are you going to give a speech today? Maybe the headmaster will ask you to come to the stage and let you introduce yourself,” Sunyoul asked. “He didn’t discuss anything about speech. Maybe he has a plan to surprise the students. Did you gave a speech when you were on your first time teaching in here?” Hwasa said. “Unfortunately, yes. I was really awkward on the stage and I thought the students would bully me because I was so lame talking in front of many people,” Sunyoul giggled. He had an idea that Hwasa would be his best friend if the headmaster didn’t ask him to resign from the job. Hwasa was really nice and friendly even though her appearance was a little bit too mature, but she was just as childish as the students. “I think you’ll suit really well with the students,” Sunyoul stated.

Hwasa finally got the idea that she was going to replace Sunyoul’s place as the music teacher. She thought Sunyoul would be her partner, but both of them didn’t think the headmaster would let two music teachers walking in the same building. Hwasa gave a lot of compliments for Sunyoul and it was flustering for the other. The way Hwasa complimented him wasn’t about interested as lover but as friends even though they just met for maybe 30 minutes only. “Before we ended our ceremony, I want to invite a teacher to come up here and give a speech for all of you. Mr. Seon Yein, please,” the headmaster politely said and Sunyoul’s heart beat faster. He stood up and he could see Hwasa was giving him ‘fighting’ gesture with her hands—clearly someone aka Wooshin was jealous with her—and it made him even more nervous than before. He walked to the stage and suddenly he found himself was standing in front of hundreds pupils. “Good morning, students,” Sunyoul greeted softly and got the surprisingly loud greetings from the students. “I’m so nervous right now. This is my second time giving speech and I’m still nervous,”

“Firstly, I want to congratulate all of you for surviving this whole year! All of you have done a lot of great works and I’m really proud of you. I’m Sunyoul, the music teacher in this high school, wants to thank you to all of you for giving me the experience to teach you. It’s only been a year but I already felt like I have been teaching here for 50 years. Unfortunately,” Sunyoul felt his chest thumping so hard.

“Next year, I won’t be teaching you anymore,”

Suddenly the whole hall became quiet. Soft sobs could be heard from some students and it broke Sunyoul’s heart. Meanwhile, Wooshin let the gravity pulled his jaw and he couldn’t believe what he had heard from the teacher. “Even though I really love joking around and made all of you panic because of my cheesy jokes, this isn’t a joke. Next year, there’ll be a greater music teacher to teach you even better songs and techniques. I’m not even lying about this. I decided to resign from my job and go back to my hometown. You won’t find me in Seoul, because after today, I don’t have any business in Seoul anymore and I’m going back to Wando.” Saying those things made Sunyoul regretted his words. Most of the students were crying and the others just pretended not to cry but their eyes were glassy and some tried to hide their tears using their jacket. “It’s not even a sad thing to cry on. There are a lot of better teachers than me.” Wooshin agreed. Sunyoul wasn’t a good teacher. But why was he crying? Sunyoul smiled weakly and he sighed, “to end this speech, I’m going to give you my last performance. Maybe this has nothing to do with my speech, but please enjoy,”

The music teacher walked to the piano which was nicely arranged on the stage. He controlled his breath, taking a deep breath and closed his eyes. Sunyoul played the piano and started to sing.

Don’t be sorry,
That makes me more pitiful
With your pretty red lips
please hurry, kill me and go
I’m all right

Look at me one last time
Smile like nothing’s wrong,
So when I miss you, I can remember
So I can draw your face in my mind

My selfishness that couldn’t let you go
Turned into an obsession that imprisoned you
Were you hurt because of me?
You sit silently
Why am I a fool, why can’t I forget you
You’re already gone

Your eyes, nose, lips
Your touch that used to touch me,
To the ends of your fingertips
I can still feel you
But like a burnt out flame,
Burnt and destroyed all of our love
It hurts so much, but now
I’ll call you a memory

Love you, loved you
I must have not been enough
Maybe I could see you
Just once by coincidence
Everyday I grow restless,

Everything about you
Is becoming faint
You smile back in our pictures,
Unknowing of our approaching farewell

My selfishness that couldn’t let you go
Turned into an obsession that imprisoned you
Were you hurt because of me?
You sit silently
Why am I a fool, why can’t I forget you
You’re already gone

Your eyes, nose, lips
Your touch that used to touch me,
To the ends of your fingertips
I can still feel you
But like a burnt out flame,
Burnt and destroyed all of our love
It hurts so much, but now
I’ll call you a memory

Your black eyes that only saw me
Your nose that held the sweetest breath
Your lips that whispered
‘I love you, I love you’… I…

Your eyes, nose, lips
Your touch that used to touch me,
To the ends of your fingertips
I can still feel you
But like a burnt out flame,
Burnt and destroyed all of our love
It hurts so much, but now
I’ll call you a memory

Sunyoul ended the song and lowered his head. He wasn’t brave to look up and meet the students’ eyes. It was too much for him. Hwasa started to clap and followed by the others. It was her first time to listen to Sunyoul playing and singing and it was beautiful. Sunyoul calmly walked off the stage even though deep down in his heart he wasn’t calm at all. He went out from the hall and made everyone confused. Jinhoo looked at his friend who was sitting next to him. Wooshin already got off from his seat. “Where are you going?” Jinhoo whispered. “You already know where I’m going to,” Wooshin said and continued chasing the teacher who was clearly running away from everyone.