Chapter 2

Pretend

"Taeyeon-ah, are you okay?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?" Taeyeon gave a fake smile.

Tiffany knew that when Taeyeon didn't want to talk, nothing would ever make her talk, so Tiffany dropped it even though she knew something was wrong.

Just then, Tiffany remembered what Siwon had told her to do. "I'm sorry, Taeyeon-ah. I really like Siwon-ssi so I'm going to do something very wrong towards you."

But before Tiffany could say anything, Yoona suddenly said, "Taeyeon unnie, please don't tell me you forgot about our date today."

Tiffany raised her eyebrows.

"We have a date?" Taeyeon was confused. "What is going on right now?"

"You're so mean, unnie. I can't believe you forgot. To punish you for forgetting, you're going to pay for everything today."

Yoona linked her arms with Taeyeon. "Let's go. Bye, Tiffany unnie."

"Bye..." Tiffany was confused. "What is going on between those two?"

"So are you going to explain what's going on to me, Im Yoona?" Taeyeon asked as they walked out of the school.

"Sunny unnie told the rest of us about what Siwon said."

"Stupid Sunny! What are you even doing?!"

As if Yoona could read her thoughts, "Don't blame Sunny unnie, she's just concerned for you, just like how all of us are."

Taeyeon was speechless, although she was still angry, she was also grateful that she had such great friends.

"We're here. Let's eat, unnie." Yoona showed off her aegyo.

"Fine! But I'm not paying for you. The amount you eat is the amount three people usually eat."

"Whatever unnie. I'm too hungry to care." Yoona pulled Taeyeon into the restaurant and sat down.

"I want this, this and this." Yoona pointed at the menu.

Taeyeon nearly laughed when she saw the shocked expression of the waiter.

"What's so funny, unnie?" Yoona asked after the waiter left.

"Did you see the expression on his face?"

Yoona flipped her hair. "What expression? Let me guess. An awestruck expression because he's never seen someone as beautiful as me before."

With that, Taeyeon burst out into her signature ahjumma laugh.

"It's good to see you laughing like that, unnie."

Taeyeon immediately stopped laughing and went back to her blank look again.

Seeing the change in Taeyeon's face, Yoona tried to rectify the situation. She joked, "It's nice to know I bring happiness to your life."

"Happiness? You only bring me irritation."

Yoona smiled, happy that she managed to lift up Taeyeon's mood.

"The food is here!"

Taeyeon chuckled when she saw how excited Yoona was by the food and how she literally wolfed down the food.

"Im Yoona, eat slowly. Nobody is going to snatch your food from you." Taeyeon smiled at the sight of Yoona as she dug into her own food.

"Thank you, unnie. YOU ARE THE BEST!"

"You don't need to remind me. I already know that," Taeyeon joked as she paid for their meal.

"I can't believe you, unnie. You always make fun of me and Sooyoung for our self-praising. Look who's doing it now."

"I'm not self-praising. I'm stating the facts."

"Whatever. Let's go to the arcade!"

"What?! Im Yoona, are you trying to make me broke?!"

"Don't worry, unnie. I'll pay. Now is 'Keeping Taeyeon Unnie Happy Time'. So please don't think about unhappy stuff now."

"If you weren't so irritating usually, I may have been touched to tears by that."

"Unnie..."

Taeyeon was surprised by how serious Yoona suddenly sounded.

"I want you to know that all of us really care for you. I'm not going to be like Sunny unnie and want you to listen to me. I'll support you in whatever you want to do. Just remember that I'm always here for you."

"I really care about you, unnie but the only person you see is Tiffany unnie. Sometimes, I really wish you will look at me just once. But I guess you being happy is more important than my own happiness."

"Im Yoona, why are saying such stuff now? You're making me emotional." Taeyeon wiped away the few tears that had formed.

Yoona just grinned.

 

Taeyeon had momentarily forgotten about Tiffany and was just laughing along with her friends until Tiffany appeared. "Taeyeon-ah, can we talk?"

"Sure."

When Taeyeon seemed to have no intention to move. "Privately, I mean."

All the other girls stopped what they were doing.

"Okay," Taeyeon said as she got up. "Is she going to ask me now? What am I going to do? I haven't even thought through it properly yet."

Tiffany took Taeyeon to the school rooftop and she took a deep breath, summoning her courage for what she was about to do.

"Taeyeon, I like you. And not like a friend-to-friend kind of like. I hope you understand what I'm saying."

Taeyeon faked a look of shock, masking the pain she felt. "Although I was quite sure you were going to do this, I still held on to a small glimmer of hope that you would choose me over him."

Seeing how Taeyeon did not say anything, Tiffany continued, "I know this is really sudden and you may need some time to think."

"This is so embarrassing. What is Taeyeon even going to think of me now? I shouldn't have believed Siwon-ssi."

Just as Tiffany was about to turn around and walk off, "Let's try going out then."

"This is the only way I can still keep our friendship and some of my pride. I can never let Tiffany know about my feelings for her."