Chapter 3

Pretend

Tiffany turned around. "What?"

"You heard me. Let's try going out."

Tiffany broke out into a big smile, forgetting her earlier embarrassment.

"Are you that happy? Do I mean so little to you that you would hurt me like that? Do you even treat me as your best friend?"

Tiffany ran back to Taeyeon and linked their fingers together before walking back to class.

"I'm really sorry, Taeyeon-ah but I have to do this."

When they returned to class, they found their friends looking at them, or more specifically, their locked hands with wide eyes.

Sooyoung, who wanted to confirm her suspicions, tried teasing them, "You two are even holding hands now? You two seriously look like you're dating."

"That's because we are."

Taeyeon looked away, knowing Sunny was probably giving her a death glare.

"What?"

"Are you guys serious?"

The other girls pretended to be surprised although they were internally being worried for Taeyeon.

"I confessed to Taeyeon just now and she accepted me."

Sunny was holding in her anger, she clenched her fist and one could almost see steam coming out from her ears.

Sunny was about to get up after deciding she needed to hit Tiffany to make her realize her stupidity but she felt Sooyoung stopping her.

"Don't. You will only make Taeyeon more upset and angry."

"Then what am I supposed to do? My best friend is about to get hurt and l can't even do anything."

"Taeyeon is also my best friend but we can't stop her, she will only get mad at us. Let's just be there for her and help her when she needs us."

With Sooyoung's words, Sunny finally calmed down.

"Thanks for stopping me."

"No problem. That's what friends are for."

 

Taeyeon was walking out of the restroom when she saw Siwon leaning against the wall. She was about to walk past him when he said "You got your wish, didn't you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't act dumb. I heard the news about you and Tiffany."

Taeyeon was desperately trying not to hit him in the face. "I don't see how that is any of your business."

"One of these days, you will know why it is my business," Siwon said as his face came awfully near to Taeyeon's.

Taeyeon was about to kick him before he backed away. "Enjoy the short happy time you're going to have with Tiffany."

"Aren't you pathetic? Just because Taeyeon unnie rejected you, you're cursing her current relationship." Yoona suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

"Im Yoona, I'm not cursing her relationship. Soon, you'll realize how right I am."

"Whatever you say."

Just as Siwon was about to walk away, Yoona stuck out her foot, causing him to trip.

"Oops, I'm so sorry. Are you alright?"

Siwon picked himself up. "Im Yoona, if not for the fact that Taecyeon likes you, I would have hit you already. But you better watch out."

"Thanks," Taeyeon said after Siwon had walked off.

"No problem, unnie."

"Aigoo, when did you become such a good kid?"

"Unnie, why are you putting up with all this? I supported you because I thought it would make you happy. But are you happy when you have to put up with all that?"

"Im Yoona, what are you thinking about?"

"Nothing. Let's go back to class."

 

"Tae, can we go out today?" Tiffany asked when she walked to Taeyeon's table after school had ended.

Taeyeon was getting anxious, accepting Tiffany was one thing but going out on a date was another. She wasn't prepared for that yet.

Just as she was trying to find an excuse, her savior arrived.

"Sorry, Tiff but I need to borrow your girlfriend for today."

"What? Why?"

"Why are you behaving as if you actually do like me? Don't do this. It hurts even more this way."

"I need her help with something. It's urgent."

"Okay then." Tiffany sulked.

"Thanks for earlier." Taeyeon turned to Sunny as they walked out of their classroom.

"Don't think too much of it. That's what friends are supposed to do for each other."

Hearing that, Taeyeon thought, "Then why would Tiffany do that to me? Are we not friends?"

Sunny, realizing what she just said, cursed at herself internally.

"Thank you, Sunny-ah."

"Huh? For what? For earlier again?"

"No, I'm thanking you for everything."

"Everything?"

"For being my friend. For wanting the best for me. For still staying by me although I have done something wrong."

"You didn't do anything wrong. Siwon and Tiffany are at fault. Don't ever say that again, you hear me?"

With that, the first drops of tears rolled down Taeyeon's face.

Sunny panicked seeing Taeyeon cry for the first time in a long time.

"Why are you crying? Don't cry." Sunny hugged Taeyeon and patted her back, trying to stop her crying.