Chapter 4

Pretend

"I know that I've already said it but I really want to say it again. Thank you, Sunny-ah."

"Aigoo, this kid." Sunny patted Taeyeon's head and surprisingly Taeyeon did not seem to mind. "Stop saying thank you. Between us, there's no need for that. You hear me?"

Taeyeon nodded and she felt her eyes watering again.

"Please don't cry anymore. Go home, have a good rest and don't think about anything stupid."

"You rest well too, Sunny-ah."

The best friends parted ways with again another hug.

As Taeyeon sat on the bus to go home, she thought about her decision. "Did I make the wrong choice? How could I make my friends worry about me? But I can't change anything now. I just hope it ends soon."

After Taeyeon's internal conflict finally ended, she looked up to realize that she had missed her stop.

"You really are an idiot, Kim Taeyeon," Taeyeon mumbled to herself as she slowly walked home. "Luckily you only missed a few stops."

 

"Unnie!" Yoona ran towards Taeyeon and linked their arms together.

Taeyeon chuckled. "What?"

Yoona lowered her voice. "Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Taeyeon whispered back.

Yoona stopped walking and asked seriously, "Did Sunny unnie do something to you yesterday?"

"She didn't do anything. She just talked to me."

"Really? Did she say anything too mean?"

"She didn't. Aigoo, Im Yoona, why are suddenly so concerned for unnie?"

"Unnie, so you think that I don't care about you?" Yoona gave a dejected look.

"Im Yoona, I was just kidding around." Taeyeon suddenly felt guilty, thinking that she may have accidentally hurt Yoona's feelings.

Yoona's face immediately changed and she smiled evilly. "I was kidding too, unnie."

"What?!"

"Sorry, unnie! I love you!" Yoona shouted as she ran off with Taeyeon chasing after her.

"Why did I let that prankster trick me again?" Taeyeon muttered to herself as she stopped running. She had lost Yoona as usual with her short legs.

Unknown to the pair, Tiffany was watching the whole scene unfold.

"Why does my heart hurt seeing that? It must be because Taeyeon's my best friend and I don't like sharing her. Yes, that's the only possible reason."

 

"Im Yoona!" Taeyeon shouted as she entered the school cafeteria and saw Yoona stuffing her face with food at their usual table.

She smiled evilly, thinking she was finally going to get her revenge after spending the first half of the school day killing Yoona in her head.

"What can I do for you, unnie?" Yoona smiled innocently.

"Are you trying to act innocent now?!"

"I'm not acting innocent." This time, Yoona even threw in her annoying aegyo.

Taeyeon threw up her hands in surrender. "I seriously give up. You win."

Sooyoung and Yoona high-fived each other.

"Is today 'Bullying Taeyeon Day'? If so, can you guys at least tell me?"

"Isn't everyday 'Bullying Taeyeon Day'? Haven't you gotten used to it yet?" With Hyoyeon's statement, everyone started cracking up.

Taeyeon was about to rebut Hyoyeon until Tiffany came. "What are you all laughing about?"

The girls all stopped laughing suddenly and Tiffany raised her eyebrows.

"We were just making fun of Taeyeon as usual." Yuri tried to stop Tiffany from becoming suspicious of the sudden silence.

Tiffany looked disapprovingly at her friends. "You guys have to learn to stop making fun of my girlfriend."

Several of the girls choked on the food or drink in their mouths while the rest were just speechless.

Seohyun, who could not stand Tiffany's outright lies but did not want to accidentally expose Tiffany's lies in anger, suddenly stood up.

Suddenly, all eyes were on her. "I forgot that I needed to do something important. I'll get going first."

"I suddenly remembered that I have something to do too." Hyoyeon got up too, wanting to follow Seohyun as she was worried.

When Hyoyeon finally found Seohyun, she found her crying under the stairwell.

"Seohyun-ah, why are you crying?"

"I just feel sad for Taeyeon unnie and disappointed in Tiffany unnie."

"Aigoo, our maknae has grown up. Don't think so much, I believe Taeyeon is mature is enough to handle the situation and for Tiffany, I'm also disappointed in her but what can we do?"

Hyoyeon tried to comfort Seohyun as much as possible until the bell signaling the end of the break sounded.

 

"Tae, are you free today?"

"Ummmm... I guess so? Why?" Taeyeon acted blur even though she had anticipated what Tiffany was going to say.

"Then let's go out. There's this new movie I really want to watch."

Taeyeon turned around to find Sunny, who mouthed, "Think about it yourself. I can't help you anymore."

Taeyeon was contemplating. "Should I go or not? Even if I can avoid it today, I'll have to do it sooner or later. Now is better than later, right?"

"I'm sorry, Taeyeon-ah but Siwon-ssi wants me to show him evidence that we are really dating..."

"So?" Tiffany looked at Taeyeon hopefully.

"How can I possibly say no when you're looking at me like that? No wonder they say I'm whipped." Taeyeon sighed in defeat. "Alright. Let's go out."